Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Friggin crafting update still not coming (Read 28258 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: Friggin crafting update still not coming
Reply #25 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:37am
Print Post  
viadrouw wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:14am:
They obviously announced crafting to early in the first place (…transfer the Paralyzing effect to my Khopesh…) and didn’t have the resources/skill to get it right. Just because “crafting” was a thing in MMOs at that time they tried to squeeze it into development. IMHO no harm would have been done if they had announced: “We will concentrate on quests and character development.” (And no harm would be done if they did it this time.) You can’t fish, nit, mine or hunt either for fucking sake. IMHO they should focus on everything that make you group up and play a quest/raid/challenge.

I agree that they would have been better off if they'd taken that approach instead of the approach they took, but I think it's too late to go back. Many people have invested significant time in it, and removing it now, or even just leaving it broken and outdated, really pisses off a fair sized group of players.

Crafting could be a tremendous asset to the game. If they made a system that was a notch below greensteel and reasonably accessible to casual players, it could be a gateway to raiding (which many casuals drop out before reaching) and something to keep players engaged when there are no groups to be had or they don't have enough time for something longer. I know they have Inventory Tetris to keep players entertained, but surprisingly, many players aren't grateful for that.

If they made crafting available through a web portal it could even engage players when they couldn't play, maybe even get them to interact with DDO on their phone. Not that I think Turdbin has the talent for that, I just mean that crafting, as an abstract idea, carries impressive potential.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #26 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:46am
Print Post  
It was listed as a topic that the 2015 PC visited towards the end of the year.  With it being pushed back twice I would hazard they were not impressed, or that it would take longer to implement than they thought.

IP Logged

viadrouw
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Durk wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:46am:
It was listed as a topic that the 2015 PC visited towards the end of the year.  With it being pushed back twice I would hazard they were not impressed, or that it would take longer to implement than they thought.

Thanks to spagehetti code EVERYTHING takes longer to implement than they HOPE/GUESS it will.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:03pm by viadrouw »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #28 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
viadrouw wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:03pm:
Thanks to spagehetti code

"Spaghetti code" happened at DDO because the folks that are currently there are so smart that they don't need to understand how things were done by the folks who developed the game.  Slapping their new resume line item onto the existing code base without understanding how it would interact with the many other resume line-items is completely acceptable because "ME ME ME ME".

DDO did not start with "spaghetti code".

viadrouw wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:03pm:
EVERYTHING takes longer to implement than they HOPE/GUESS it will.

Nobody knows how long anything will take to fully implement because no system is ever completed.  Therefore how long anything will take to implement is either a wild-assed guess or determined by how much time remains until the next Pac-Man LARP.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #29 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:40pm:
"Spaghetti code" happened at DDO because the folks that are currently there are so smart that they don't need to understand how things were done by the folks who developed the game.  Slapping their new resume line item onto the existing code base without understanding how it would interact with the many other resume line-items is completely acceptable because "ME ME ME ME".

Nobody knows how long anything will take to fully implement because no system is ever completed.  Therefore how long anything will take to implement is either a wild-assed guess or determined by how much time remains until the next Pac-Man LARP.

Guessing how long it would take Turdbin to finish a system is like guessing the winner of a race between the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy  Undecided

I laugh when people make excuses for Turdbin, saying the problem is the legacy code. The legacy code ran faster, on slower hardware, while supporting more users. The problem is most definitely not the old code.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:37am:
and removing it now, or even just leaving it broken and outdated, really pisses off a fair sized group of players.

I'm one of them.

Random loot gen is shit. You get caster spellpower boosts mixed with double strike and ranged power bonuses. Who the fuck can use that?

Finding a randomly-generated item that's all useful(not just partially) is so insanely rare it's actually faster to farm for named items.

This is why crafting is so vital: you need to be able to take all the pieces of random loot and turn them in to something valuable.

There is a staggering number of directions they could go with it, but refusing to go any direction is the one guaranteed way to fuck it up.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #31 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
They should just lower the ML of crafted items by 1 or 2.

That shouldn't break anything, then they can work on a crafting update.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 1:38am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:40pm:

It probably did.  Clean slate or not, it takes some discipline to write good code that can be easily followed by others, and everything I've learned about Turbine tells me that they have never had the processes in place to ensure that this kind of discipline was enforced on their coding.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #33 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 3:37am
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 26th, 2016 at 1:58pm:
What is it about this crafting system that people care about?

Ikr

Heroic loot is rather pointless and clean stat items and super spellpower random crap is really plentiful.
For cap crap you sack TS, nag friends or browse asah.
Crafting can't ever be better than random drops because it's trivial to level.
I remember crafting in wow or Lotro where higher levels of crafting required world drops, rare recipes and such, so it kinda works there. But not in ddo.

Like many people I leveled to 150, made a pair of holy burst greater bane khops few years ago.
Didn't give a shit since then. Many people don't even loot chests these days except renown. Wtf you gonna do with plat or essences anyway.

It's in the "hirelings ai, ship interiors, bats in underdark, slayers in general or store pots price" amount of fucks given category.

Another completely pointless abandonded system by Turbine. Except more lag and full bags of shit.

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2016 at 3:43am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #34 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 5:07am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 1:38am:
It probably did [start with spaghetti code].  Clean slate or not, it takes some discipline to write good code that can be easily followed by others, and everything I've learned about Turbine tells me that they have never had the processes in place to ensure that this kind of discipline was enforced on their coding.

The people who developed the engine loved their work with tremendous passion.

It was purchased by a clown.

I think you're right that the people in place are undisciplined, but they did not create the product.

It doesn't matter how easy the original case was to follow.  It has been "too hard" since it changed hands and the clown convinced his employees that they are all too smart to concern themselves with coding discipline.   They do not care about it.  It is not their product, which is why they treat it with the lack of respect we see.

Even renewing their Domain Name has been beyond the level of discipline of this crew.

they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 3:37am:
Didn't give a shit since then.

People don't give a shit because it hasn't be updated. Updates = shits given.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #36 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Bones wrote on Apr 26th, 2016 at 11:35pm:
I'm sorry, but where and when did they clarify that it wasn't coming in U31?

Just because Lamannia is gonna come up real soon, and they haven't yet made a thread to discuss the changes, doesn't mean they won't slip it in.

I imagine that slowly, but surely, we'll start to see less, and then eventually nothing new in the "Official Turdbin Discussions" section before updates.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/471742-Cannith-crafting-update-being-s...

per Cordovan

Yes, Cannith Crafting will not be in U31. No immediate ETA to announce.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 5:07am:
Even renewing their Domain Name has been beyond the level of discipline of this crew.

Not to defend Turbine, but even Microsoft with access to far greater resources managed that once.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 1:31pm:
per Cordovan

Yes, Cannith Crafting will not be in U31. No immediate ETA to announce.

Which makes a push-back from what?  U29?  I haven't kept track, but it's been at least 2 updates I think.  And now they can't even state which hypothetical update it might manage to make it into.  Gah, what a crock of crap.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #39 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 2:53pm:
Not to defend Turbine,

APOLOGIST!

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #40 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 2:56pm:
Which makes a push-back from what?  U29?  I haven't kept track, but it's been at least 2 updates I think.  And now they can't even state which hypothetical update it might manage to make it into.  Gah, what a crock of crap.

Why are you in such a rush to lose the good things?

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #41 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 2:53pm:
Not to defend Turbine, but even Microsoft with access to far greater resources managed that once.

But that was like < 1% of their domains, and Turbine was > 50%, right? So like comparing rolling through a stop sign at 3 AM to running red light and T-boning a police cruiser at noon?

Grin

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:23pm:
Why are you in such a rush to lose the good things?

Well, sure, I'm fairly certain they'll screw things up.  But right now cannith crafting is fairly well useless.  It had some use for a few years after it was implemented, but power creep has make it useful only for low level characters.  It has some value in inventory management, since you can just make something instead of sitting on it in your bank or tr cache.  But I can't recall using anything crafted after about 10th level for most characters, the +13 rogue skill items you can make and wear at 9th+ have a little more longevity.

So even a screwed up system that managed to be relevant throughout heroics at least would be an improvement.  And if it managed to be relevant in epics I might just get some wood.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:40am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #43 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:39am:
So even a screwed up system that managed to be relevant throughout heroics at least would be an improvement.  And if it managed to be relevant in epics I might just get some wood.

Don't you get it? You have 10 levels of relevance. That's ten more than we ever expected in the first place, and so, so very likely to be the high-water mark.

Urging Turbine to fuck with crafting is just urging them to fuck with crafting. They'll take the still incomplete, buggy, lag-seizure machine and turn it into a differently incomplete, buggy, lag-seizure machine with fewer formulas and less flexibility. The things we like will disappear, and we'll get the ability to craft +0 stats instead.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 3:16pm:
Don't you get it? You have 10 levels of relevance.

Right.  And that might have meant something 5 years ago when heroics were hard(er?).  Now, it's 10 levels of relevance that ends in 2 days play.  So, not terribly relevant at all.

So yeah, I invite then to fuck with crafting, because if they manage to make it matter longer than 2 days they will have accomplished something at least.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #45 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:35pm:
So yeah, I invite then to fuck with crafting, because if they manage to make it matter longer than 2 days they will have accomplished something at least.

We will just lose the two days. As consolation, I will try really hard not to say I told you so.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #46 - May 1st, 2016 at 3:00am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 3:21pm:
I'm one of them.

Random loot gen is shit. You get caster spellpower boosts mixed with double strike and ranged power bonuses. Who the fuck can use that?

Finding a randomly-generated item that's all useful(not just partially) is so insanely rare it's actually faster to farm for named items.

This is why crafting is so vital: you need to be able to take all the pieces of random loot and turn them in to something valuable.

There is a staggering number of directions they could go with it, but refusing to go any direction is the one guaranteed way to fuck it up.

This, more or less.

In the current state of the game, many slots for many classes could theoretically be filled with randomly generated items that would be significantly better than the named alternatives. However, it's astronomically unlikely that you'll get the combination of effects that you want, which is arguably the biggest flaw in an extremely flawed loot revamp.

Since the folks at Turbine seem to be very much invested in moving away from the "named items or bust" mentality that was more or less dominant for a long time, we need a way to get the combinations we want on non named items without having to win the metaphorical jackpot.

The crafting solution could very easily be something along the lines of
1) Extend crafting into epic levels
2) Change the ML on crafted items to be in line with the current random loot system (bonuses not added together to determine ML, etc)
3) Add the new effects to the crafting system, with the maximum achievable numbers being slightly below the maximum you could potentially find on random loot so it'll still be possible to get better stuff in chests/rewards if you get absurdly lucky.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #47 - May 1st, 2016 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 3:00am:
Since the folks at Turbine seem to be very much invested in moving away from the "named items or bust" mentality that was more or less dominant for a long time

You haven't seen the best-in-game new named caster gear on Lama.

As for the rest, well ... yeah any of us can make good suggestions. What I've been saying though, is that making good suggestions just encourages Turbine to do something. And that will invariably turn out like replacing your junker car with a shit toboggan.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #48 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Let's play a little game and speculate on how Turbine could conceivably screw up crafting if they tried.

Personally, the only ways I can think of are:

*Every crafted item has ML +2 with masterful(+4 without it)
*Any recipes at all requiring astral shards. Just fuck that shit so hard.

Anyone else got any ideas?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #49 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 8:51pm:
You haven't seen the best-in-game new named caster gear on Lama.

As for the rest, well ... yeah any of us can make good suggestions. What I've been saying though, is that making good suggestions just encourages Turbine to do something. And that will invariably turn out like replacing your junker car with a shit toboggan.

Casters can actually use LGS.  Casters have some decent named items.  Most of my melees are wearing a lot of loot gen stuff atm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint