Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO profitable, for now. (Read 25566 times)
somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: DDO profitable, for now.
Reply #25 - May 20th, 2016 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
New player race: Wayans brother

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - May 20th, 2016 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Kype wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 10:51pm:
An inside source says DDO is still profitable  but this 10th year anniversary marks the last year to save it. Turbine thought the anniversary would bring profits up enough to keep it from being shut down. It has until November 3rd to get 200% more in profits than it did last year or it will shut down in January. If it reaches the goal, it gets another 5 years.

Is that you Tranquil?

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #27 - May 20th, 2016 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 2:28pm:
How about "Sale on Otto's Boxes followed by Sale on Turbine Points"?

Not sure if this means Tolero is still there or if she's gone.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2016 at 4:17pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #28 - May 20th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 3:41pm:
Is that you Tranquil?

I think it might be a mudfud sock. The style fits. Well, except for the part where the OP hasn't come back a bunch of times and claimed to have PMd the source of said inside information to 4 people, none of whom will come forward...

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #29 - May 20th, 2016 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 4:29pm:
I think it might be a mudfud sock.

Nope, not his sock. It's someone else's.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - May 20th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 5:14pm:
Nope, not his sock. It's someone else's.

Certainly smells like a sock Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #31 - May 20th, 2016 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 12:58pm:
Honestly, I don't see Turbine shooting themselves on the foot by shutting down DDO when there's a D&D movie coming around the corner.
It's the typical case of a WIN-WIN situation, even if they keep the game in it's sloppy work state. People will be attracted to the game because of the movie.

I'm assuming that the 25 people that will see the movie are already aware of the game.

somenewnoob wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 3:32pm:
New player race: Wayans brother

Well done

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #32 - May 20th, 2016 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
FM wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 9:14pm:
I'm assuming that the 25 people that will see the movie are already aware of the game.

Well done

What, you think they can't possibly make a good Dungeons and Dragons movie with wide appeal and high production values? I mean, its Warner Brothers, so no, but still!

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #33 - May 20th, 2016 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I claim this as bunk for all the reasons others have pointed out.

BUT!!!  If "profits" are only $1 Turbine only has to get to $3.  That is doable.

If Turbine profits are $2,000,000 that means it needs to get to $6,000,000.  That won't happen.

I will hazard a guess that Turbine's profits are around $100,000.  Pure guess.  Based on zero facts and zero research.

That means profits need to get to $300,000.  This can be done by firing employees.  Oh wait, Turbine has already been doing that.

Mo more free fruit Tuesdays and Free bagel Fridays.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #34 - May 20th, 2016 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 10:22pm:
That means profits need to get to $300,000.  This can be done by firing employees.  Oh wait, Turbine has already been doing that.

I knew this sounded familiar:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1994-01-06

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #35 - May 21st, 2016 at 1:25am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 3:21pm:
I'm hoping the movie will inspire them to poor some cash into revitalizing DDO. They've got LOTRO and are making money on it years after the movies. Why develop a new movie tie-in MMO for the DDO movie when you've already got one that just needs a little spit and polish?

Hey, maybe the movie will lead to a big huge expansion so new players can play the movie Cheesy Lol either way I think the movie will be great for DDO.

I'm hoping that too... but really the decision is in Hasbro/WoTC hand and maybe a bit in WB hand.

So there's basically 3 path for Hasbro/WoTC:

- Use a really aged MMO named DDO
- Use a somewhat aged MMO named NWO
- Licence a new MMO.

Since the movie is made by WB... There's some non negligible chances that DDO will be used over the other two choices.
Maybe that's why we all feel that DDO is on life support right now...
All the competent people are behind the scene working hard on a complete revamp and relaunch of DDO just in time for the movie.... ( One can dream  Roll Eyes )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - May 21st, 2016 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 1:25am:
All the competent people are behind the scene working hard on a complete revamp and relaunch of DDO just in time for the movie.... ( One can dream  Roll Eyes )

You are such a tease Mr Flav.
Wouldn't that be a nice surprise.  "We put all the IC resources straight onto developing DDO 2 and voila it is ready.  We will migrate all your accounts and characters over free of charge for the release date."

But then you apply the Turbine corrupt a wish.

It was actually developed by Sev and a grad student (who is Fern@ndo's cousin's sister's nephew) when they weren't playing unicorn leapfrog.
It is a mobile app.
It costs 49c.
The graphics rival Slither.io.
It takes 45 mins to run all the content.
It is not replayable.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #37 - May 21st, 2016 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I reckon bullshit. They still rarely, if ever for some item categories, cut in the store during sales like they did in the early days. If they were in that much trouble we'd be seeing more than just ~25% Flash Sales. They used to regularly give out better deals than we've had in a long time, on TP too IIRC, until perhaps quite recently for TP.

Doesn't smell bad to me, except in a lack of well developed content sense, but the game has been through that before too. We'll see. I think OP was bored and wanted to stir the pot.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #38 - May 22nd, 2016 at 2:36am
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 2:15am:
You are such a tease Mr Flav.

No, I have multiple personalities... My hopeful personality makes me hope for what I wrote....
My cynical personality knows better and agree with your statement.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

DaveTeMage
Korthos Resident

Reply #39 - May 22nd, 2016 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Hey all,

let me previs this with this is prob speculation hearing it 2nd thread in the grapevine and all but here it goes.

DDO is profitable right now but how profitable is at question. Turbine is taking a look internally into the department as a whole to see if it would be worth it to revamp and possible revitalize it considering the downgrades they have made to the department last year. The department has been given a goal )i don't know exactly what it is but most likely the goal is to recruit x% of new accounts while retaining x% of current accounts in the game sub or otherwise) they have till the end of 2016 to meet half and the end of 2017 to meet the full of this goal to prevent more cuts to the departments budget. If they meet this goal we might see boosts in development of DDO.

So that's all I got, you never saw me type this... some one hacked my account.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - May 22nd, 2016 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
They need a DDO 2. Forget a revamp or a overhaul. Redo the game in Unreal, keep what is awesome, trash what isnt. It's time.
As for being profitable and still shut down--see most MMO's that have been shut down. City of Heroes was still profitable when they abruptly pulled the plug.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - May 22nd, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on May 22nd, 2016 at 5:11pm:
They need a DDO 2. Forget a revamp or a overhaul. Redo the game in Unreal, keep what is awesome, trash what isnt. It's time.

You would need entirely new staff. all of it. cant take turbine and suddenly make them good now. theyre outdated, has beens, relics, washed up.

they cant possibly do that when they have devs in the game that name loot after themselves with butthurt names and flavor text, for an anniversary party that they crashed. No part of that event had anything to do with ddo's history aside the gifting of old items. What it was instead was a circlejerk of devs congratulating each other for who could come up with the most shitty ideas per update and get them live with the lowest amount of people realizing how actually shitty they were.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #42 - May 22nd, 2016 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 22nd, 2016 at 5:43pm:
they cant possibly do that when they have devs in the game that name loot after themselves with butthurt names and flavor text, for an anniversary party that they crashed. No part of that event had anything to do with ddo's history aside the gifting of old items.

QFT.

That event gave me a tinfoil hat. An item. In the game. Called "Tinfoil Hat".

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #43 - May 22nd, 2016 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
No part of that event had anything to do with ddo's history aside the gifting of old items.

Incorrect.

There was a lot of DDO history in that event, though a lot of it was hidden in party guest dialog. There were even mentions of exploits, such as selling the cove rods to vendors, and other amusing things, like the old bloodstone gem type being sold/traded as the trinket.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #44 - May 22nd, 2016 at 11:02pm
Print Post  

This is pretty much all of my hopes and dreams for this game.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:29am
Print Post  
They need a DDO 2.

This is, has been, and forever shall be, the stupidest idea ever presented on this board.

Try to think about how much competition it has.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #46 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:34am
Print Post  
they cant possibly do that when they have devs in the game that name loot after themselves with butthurt names and flavor text, for an anniversary party that they crashed. No part of that event had anything to do with ddo's history aside the gifting of old items. What it was instead was a circlejerk of devs congratulating each other for who could come up with the most shitty ideas per update and get them live with the lowest amount of people realizing how actually shitty they were.   

And just when you thought they couldn't get any more stupid, they go and totally redeem themselves by scheduling the untested datacenter move smack in the middle of the anniversary event to doubly ensure that even the people who might try to enjoy it couldn't because of the game-breaking lag.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2016 at 12:35am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #47 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 1:25am:
I'm hoping that too... but really the decision is in Hasbro/WoTC hand and maybe a bit in WB hand.

So there's basically 3 path for Hasbro/WoTC:

- Use a really aged MMO named DDO
- Use a somewhat aged MMO named NWO
- Licence a new MMO.

Since the movie is made by WB... There's some non negligible chances that DDO will be used over the other two choices.
Maybe that's why we all feel that DDO is on life support right now...

So the movie is being done by WB and WB owns turbine, IF a ty-in game gets made, it'll end up getting made by turbine. Why would they do anything else? To us players, sure, turbine is a piece a shit. To an executive making the decision, who had to have "video games" explaiend to him by his 10 year old son, this is how it looks:

"Hey, we own this company. they have 3 long-tunning MMOs to there name, that have been successful enough to keep open for a while. Hell, one of them even ties right into our movie."

Now, tell me, is this exec going o roder his team to go find another game company to make this dungeons and dragons video game, or is he gonna go to turbine?

We might still end up getting DDO2, and when we di each and every one of you will owe me an apology Tongue

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:29am:
This is, has been, and forever shall be, the stupidest idea ever presented on this board.

Try to think about how much competition it has.

Given DDO still has a niche after ten years and isn't dead, I'm intrigued by what you regard as competition?

Competition for people's time?  Player spending?  Genre?
MMO?  PVE?

Please do elaborate.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #49 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Another random thought: As Ashron's Call became EOL, turbine, in fact Severelin, discussed on their forums possibly releasing a private server build so players could keep enjoing their game after it passed. if they did the same thing with DDO, we could have an ocfficial Vault server!!! that'd piss off the forum fanbois,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint