Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO profitable, for now. (Read 25523 times)
Kype
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

DDO profitable, for now.
May 19th, 2016 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
An inside source says DDO is still profitable  but this 10th year anniversary marks the last year to save it. Turbine thought the anniversary would bring profits up enough to keep it from being shut down. It has until November 3rd to get 200% more in profits than it did last year or it will shut down in January. If it reaches the goal, it gets another 5 years.

IP Logged

Doodle
Abbot Raider

Shoot first ask questions
later!

Re: DDO profitable, for now.
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2016 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
That makes absolutely no business sense.  None whatsoever! Why not just ask for 40% profits a year for five years?
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2016 at 11:00pm by Doodle »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2016 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Assuming that this rumor isn't just bullshit, then it is a done deal.  There's no way they can triple revenues even over a years long plan, and only a startup or a company launching a hot new product could expect that kind of change across 6 months.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Doodle wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 10:59pm:
That makes absolutely no business sense.  None whatsoever!

Yeah, the "profitable but still shut down" part is fishy, isn't it.  "I like money, but I'll pass" isn't something a lot of companies say.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
And once again, yet another "I've got bad news, so I'm relevant" poster crawls up out of the muck....

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Source of inside source plx

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but
I'm not a fuckin' bastard

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
If this is even remotely true they're being quite generous considering the patient had gangrene in every extremity. The only way DDO can be saved is by firing it's current saboteurs, namely Sev, Cord, Varg, Steel and getting developers in that really care about the game. They must fix the lag that was created with their grossly miscalculated DC move and fix the bugs that have been plaguing the game for years. Take the game down for 2 weeks, even a month. Go for broke. Nothing to lose if the game is being shut down in less than a year. Did they really expect profits to increase in the current and daily exacerbated state just because of the namesake of a nice round number for an anniversary?

Then they need to do some serious reconfiguration because Cordovan and his little band of fanbois have been deliberately ruining the gaming experience for many players for at least the last year. WB and Turbine must do some serious damage control and start handing out a metric shit ton of freebies to repair the years of damage sunk in time, misery and disgust players have tolerated. Then when DDO is brought back up, the one thing that will save the game will be loyalty. It's the only thing. Not to Cordovan and the promise of concessions and approval. Not to Turbine or WB, but loyalty to the friendships forged for a decade and the experiences that have colored them.

This rumor needs to be confirmed one way or another, but either way me and many MANY others aren't spending one fucking red cent so long as DDO is being fucked with in such a careless manner.  Its players are being considered the source of welfare for Cordovan and the devs while they spit and laugh at us from behind the walls of Turbine. I'm not going to pay for a broken game and reward awful people with shitty attitudes while watching a game I have invested nearly 10 years of my days being deliberately run into the ground.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 11:25pm:
This rumor needs to be confirmed

only dropbears can do this

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

ThereIsNoSpoon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
If they wanted to increase profits 200% over last year, they're doing a horrible job.  1 update of just gnomes and nothing more, followed by an update of 3 f2p quests.  Unless they are planning some kind of expansion (ravenloft?), there is nothing they can do to save the game - truth of rumor or not.

IP Logged

Doodle
Abbot Raider

later!

Reply #9 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 11:02pm:
Yeah, the "profitable but still shut down" part is fishy, isn't it.  "I like money, but I'll pass" isn't something a lot of companies say.

Plus if they shut it down, what tie ins will Warner Bros use for this:

http://collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2016 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Kype wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 10:51pm:
An inside source says DDO is still profitable  but this 10th year anniversary marks the last year to save it. Turbine thought the anniversary would bring profits up enough to keep it from being shut down. It has until November 3rd to get 200% more in profits than it did last year or it will shut down in January. If it reaches the goal, it gets another 5 years.

Without knowing the number, you can only guess what that means. They got rid of their talent, moved to a cheaper datacenter, and still have some paladins contributing endless money sucking down bought pots like water.

If they made $1 profit, that means they just need to make $3.

They have no clue how to make an anniversary that would bring in money. It was a lot of insider jokes that only meant things to a few people and nothing to bring / retain players. I was fine with it until the point where it was supposed to MAKE money.   They should have merchandised the dice I am sure there were a few jealous paladins who would bid for them on eBay.

IP Logged

Kype
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2016 at 4:07am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 11:02pm:

You can be profitable and something still not be worth your time. For example, if it takes you a year to make a dollar in profit, it's probably worth finding a better way to use your resources.

Yes, Turbine is profitable. Enough so that the bills get paid. But what about employees? Building costs? Development to the game that is bleeding subscribers?

Great game, just too complex. Too difficult to bring out new content because you have to balance everything. Too many spells and abilities and complex item effects. They're going down as gracefully as they can.

If they don't meet their mark with the flash sales this year, don't be surprised when they shut down the DDO store in mid November.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2016 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Kype wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 4:07am:
You can be profitable and something still not be worth your time. For example, if it takes you a year to make a dollar in profit, it's probably worth finding a better way to use your resources.

Yes, Turbine is profitable. Enough so that the bills get paid. But what about employees? Building costs? Development to the game that is bleeding subscribers?

Great game, just too complex. Too difficult to bring out new content because you have to balance everything. Too many spells and abilities and complex item effects. They're going down as gracefully as they can.

If they don't meet their mark with the flash sales this year, don't be surprised when they shut down the DDO store in mid November.

When a product is making a profit in reporting terms, it is usually after all costs related to it are factored in.
This usually includes overhead costs too.

If it still makes money, but not enough to justify further investment or mgmt time, it then goes into maintenance mode where it only has to cover the cost of maintenance staff and server costs.

Your scare tactic is illogical and about as realistic as the joker with "inside knowledge" who told everyone that Sev was about to be sacked last year.

Suggest we move this thread to the drama section.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2016 at 5:56am by PersonaNonGrata »  

IP Logged

Spoon
Stormreaver Piker

Fuck yeah Drama!

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2016 at 7:05am
Print Post  
I can understand how a company would be willing to close a "profitable" product if it represented a significant opportunity cost.  If the money they spend to turn a profit on DDO could be spent to turn a bigger profit on something else.  But usually that's about reallocating resources (e.g. talent).  I'll let you decide if it's believable (or laughable) to assume there is underutilized talent (or other resources) to be reassigned.

The other part that sets off my smell test is "200%" and "five years."  Why the hell would turning a "200%" profit this year guarantee 5 more years?  As if making a profit one year ensures 5 years of profitability.  I wouldn't make that bet at this point in a product's life cycle, and I can't see a bean counter making it.  And why "200%", that sounds like a goal you give someone when you know they can't reach it, and you just need to give yourself a story about why you'll make a decision in 6 months that you have already made.

All in all, this story and "inside source" just sounds made up to give someone the feeling of being important.  But, given the current state of the game, odds are good the game could go into maintenance mode during the window provided, just not for the reasons stated (and that's different from shut down).

The USA is having so many disasters and tragedies you'd almost think it was built on thousands of ancient Indian burial grounds.

IP Logged

viadrouw
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2016 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Why wouldn't they tie the server move to this rumored "shut it down or keep it 5 more years" decition? Move servers first and decide wheter to keep them up or not one year later would be stupid even for Turbine standards.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #15 - May 20th, 2016 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Lol.  Awesome troll post, OP. 

A)  If the game is profitable now, they would not need a 200% increase in revenue to not shut it down.  Nobody shuts down a profitable venture.  Businesses shut down unprofitable ventures.  They would certainly like year over year growth, and probably have goals to that effect.  But they won't need a tripling of revenue on an already profitable unit to keep it running.

B)  Nobody makes a 5 year decision on a game based on 1 year of revenue.  Even if revenue increases by 200% this year, they will still evaluate the game every year.  If the next year it loses 75% of it's revenue and becomes unprofitable, they aren't going to carry the loss for 4 more years, just because of what happened in 2016.. 

Whoever posted that is a moron about how businesses operate.  Random sock with 7 posts.  Has great credibility.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2016 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 8:37am:
B)  Nobody makes a 5 year decision on a game based on 1 year of revenue. 

I agree that the OP is a pretty great troll post, but you can't seriously suggest that Turbine won't make a business decision in a certain way because "nobody" else does.

That's why the OP is such a great troll.  It's so over the top absurd that it's easy to see it as consistent with Turbine's past practices.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Doodle
Abbot Raider

later!

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2016 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 8:37am:
Lol.  Awesome troll post, OP. 

A)  If the game is profitable now, they would not need a 200% increase in revenue to not shut it down.  Nobody shuts down a profitable venture.  Businesses shut down unprofitable ventures.  They would certainly like year over year growth, and probably have goals to that effect.  But they won't need a tripling of revenue on an already profitable unit to keep it running.

B)  Nobody makes a 5 year decision on a game based on 1 year of revenue.  Even if revenue increases by 200% this year, they will still evaluate the game every year.  If the next year it loses 75% of it's revenue and becomes unprofitable, they aren't going to carry the loss for 4 more years, just because of what happened in 2016.. 

Whoever posted that is a moron about how businesses operate.  Random sock with 7 posts.  Has great credibility.

This. 

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2016 at 10:14am
Print Post  
An inside source says I am a troll.

FTFY.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2016 at 10:14am by Sim-Sala-Bim »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #19 - May 20th, 2016 at 11:36am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 9:47am:
I agree that the OP is a pretty great troll post, but you can't seriously suggest that Turbine won't make a business decision in a certain way because "nobody" else does.

That's why the OP is such a great troll.  It's so over the top absurd that it's easy to see it as consistent with Turbine's past practices.

Turbine has made poor design decisions and poor IT process/QA/operations decisions.  Even absurd ones.  Since the advent of EU/F2P do we have any evidence that they make poor financial decisions, let alone absurd ones?  If there is one thing a publicly traded conglomerate like WB is good at, it is typically bean counting.  Delivering quality products?  See Bats V. Sups for the answer to that one. 

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - May 20th, 2016 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 11:25pm:
but either way me and many MANY others aren't spending one fucking red cent so long as DDO is being fucked with in such a careless manner.
[...]
I'm not going to pay for a broken game and reward awful people with shitty attitudes while watching a game I have invested nearly 10 years of my days being deliberately run into the ground.

Your posts confuse me.  You claim to have stopped playing.  So how exactly is anything that Turbine does or doesn't do changing how many red cents you pay?  How does a statement such as "I'm not going to pay" make any sense at all, since you are already not paying?

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Kype wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 4:07am:

What you said amounts to "Turbine is profitable. Enough so that the bills get paid. But what about the bills?"  It makes no sense and just shows your ignorance.  Either you have invented this BS and are just trying to defend it with more BS, or you are just repeating BS fed to you that you don't have the intelligence to question in the first place.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #22 - May 20th, 2016 at 12:58pm
Print Post  

Honestly, I don't see Turbine shooting themselves on the foot by shutting down DDO when there's a D&D movie coming around the corner.
It's the typical case of a WIN-WIN situation, even if they keep the game in it's sloppy work state. People will be attracted to the game because of the movie.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2016 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 11:36am:
Since the advent of EU/F2P do we have any evidence that they make poor financial decisions, let alone absurd ones?  If there is one thing a publicly traded conglomerate like WB is good at, it is typically bean counting.

How about "Sale on Otto's Boxes followed by Sale on Turbine Points"?

Asheras wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 11:36am:
Turbine has made poor design decisions and poor IT process/QA/operations decisions.

These all end up being financial decisions because they influence the likelihood of customers spending money.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2016 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 12:58pm:
Honestly, I don't see Turbine shooting themselves on the foot by shutting down DDO when there's a D&D movie coming around the corner.
It's the typical case of a WIN-WIN situation, even if they keep the game in it's sloppy work state. People will be attracted to the game because of the movie.

I'm hoping the movie will inspire them to poor some cash into revitalizing DDO. They've got LOTRO and are making money on it years after the movies. Why develop a new movie tie-in MMO for the DDO movie when you've already got one that just needs a little spit and polish?

Hey, maybe the movie will lead to a big huge expansion so new players can play the movie Cheesy Lol either way I think the movie will be great for DDO.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint