Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO profitable, for now. (Read 25579 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: DDO profitable, for now.
Reply #50 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on May 22nd, 2016 at 11:01pm:
Incorrect.

There was a lot of DDO history in that event, though a lot of it was hidden in party guest dialog. There were even mentions of exploits, such as selling the cove rods to vendors, and other amusing things, like the old bloodstone gem type being sold/traded as the trinket.

thanks. i didnt bother reading the dialogue. Not sure any one i quested with did either. Nor did any one post it here. Figured everyone did the same after they saw the devs made themselves bosses, saw the loot names, read the flavor text and then got sick to their stomach.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #51 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:47am
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:35am:
Given DDO still has a niche after ten years and isn't dead, I'm intrigued by what you regard as competition?

Competition for people's time?  Player spending?  Genre?
MMO?  PVE?

Please do elaborate.

The statement was that we, quote "need DDO 2" which is the dumbest idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas. Specifically I stated that it was the dumbest thing posted on this board.

Then I said there was a lot of competition for dumb things posted on this board. So, yeah, if you think DDO 2 is going to be good, go watch Dumb and Dumber To. I know they aren't related, its just a way to demonstrate how bad sequels can be.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #52 - May 23rd, 2016 at 2:20am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:35am:
We might still end up getting DDO2, and when we di each and every one of you will owe me an apology

No. If Turbine makes it, they will owe us an apology.

Still.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - May 23rd, 2016 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:47am:
thanks. i didnt bother reading the dialogue. Not sure any one i quested with did either. Nor did any one post it here. Figured everyone did the same after they saw the devs made themselves bosses, saw the loot names, read the flavor text and then got sick to their stomach. 

pretty much this.
Don't have that much spare time that I would want to sit and read all the spelling and grammatical errors in most of their dailog boxes.
They kinda set the bar pretty low on my expectations there.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - May 23rd, 2016 at 2:57am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:47am:
The statement was that we, quote "need DDO 2" which is the dumbest idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas. Specifically I stated that it was the dumbest thing posted on this board.

Then I said there was a lot of competition for dumb things posted on this board. So, yeah, if you think DDO 2 is going to be good, go watch Dumb and Dumber To. I know they aren't related, its just a way to demonstrate how bad sequels can be.

Some sequels are as good or better.
Terminator 2, Aliens to name a few.

If DDO2 were produced by someone competent and who loved the genre like the old Bioware or LGS, it might have been ok.
But they're no more.

Reading the reviews here, Path Of Exile was done pretty well. Not perfect, but I didn't encounter any immersion destroying bugs in my play time.  That puts those devs a few miles in front of Turbine in my eyes.

It could be done and done well if they had the Infinite Crysis budget and resource, and no Turbine involvement (except to consult Sev by asking what he would do with DDO2 and then doing exactly the opposite).

IP Logged

Kype
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - May 23rd, 2016 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Let's make our own DDO.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #56 - May 23rd, 2016 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Kype wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 4:08am:
Let's make our own DDO.

Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #57 - May 23rd, 2016 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 6:37am:
Let's make our own DDO.

Hi Welcome

Perfect.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2016 at 11:27am by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #58 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Let's make our own DDO.

That's my favorite answer to this problem.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #59 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 2:57am:
If DDO2 were produced by someone competent and who loved the genre like the old Bioware or LGS, it might have been ok.
But they're no more.

Are you asking for a new Dungeons and Dragons-themed MMO to be made, or a sequel to DDO? Because that's asking for two different things.

But, hey, Ultima Online 2, Ashron's Call 2, EverQuest 2, those games were all wildly successful and presently have huge player-bases, right? In fact, we can say with confidence that most, if not all, of the old player-bases migrated over to the new game and not one person complained.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - May 23rd, 2016 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:46pm:
Are you asking for a new Dungeons and Dragons-themed MMO to be made, or a sequel to DDO? Because that's asking for two different things.

But, hey, Ultima Online 2, Ashron's Call 2, EverQuest 2, those games were all wildly successful and presently have huge player-bases, right? In fact, we can say with confidence that most, if not all, of the old player-bases migrated over to the new game and not one person complained.

I was playing Asheron's Call when the sequel came out.
It didn't last long! :p

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #61 - May 23rd, 2016 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 1:19pm:
I was playing Asheron's Call when the sequel came out.
It didn't last long! :p

That should give people a pretty good sense of the track record for MMOs in general, and Turbine specifically, when it comes to making [MMO Name] 2 Tongue

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - May 23rd, 2016 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:43am:
Another random thought: As Ashron's Call became EOL, turbine, in fact Severelin, discussed on their forums possibly releasing a private server build so players could keep enjoing their game after it passed. if they did the same thing with DDO, we could have an ocfficial Vault server!!! that'd piss off the forum fanbois,

The question is, what level of duping and exploiting would be possible on an official Vault server?

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - May 23rd, 2016 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:47am:

There was a thread on the ddo boards where the OP posted their impressions of the 10th anni event.  It grew to be many pages long with a lot of people expressing pretty much what you just said.  And then Cordovan snipped it down to about 1/3 size since people expressing their honest impressions of the event must be against the community guidelines in some fashion.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #64 - May 23rd, 2016 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 5:10pm:
The question is, what level of duping and exploiting would be possible on an official Vault server?

It wouldn't matter what level would be possible if everyone had the same access to it.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #65 - May 23rd, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 5:10pm:

I would go with "A lot" personally Tongue but I'm not saying the vault server would be all sunshine and happiness. There's such a huge fucking grind for some aspects of the game that a lot of people dupe strictly to get around it, so having some access to, especially duping matts, would be nice.

Also I'm pretty sure that if the vault had a server we'd eliminate BtC status entirely.

Stone re-use would have to go. I loved it when I had it but ultimately it would mean either nobody playing, or people only playing cap(and we all know DDO's end-game is "meh"). I saw a lot of "instant cap" private WoW servers back in the day where all people did was PvP, and it was dumb. You need the constant grind of TRing to keep the game going and new players joining.

I think it'd be funny if the vault server admins could turn the exploiting on and off at random intervals, kind of like how things come and go on the live servers.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #66 - May 24th, 2016 at 3:02am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 6:36pm:
I think it'd be funny if the vault server admins could turn the exploiting on and off at random intervals, kind of like how things come and go on the live servers.

This actually makes a lot of sense, as a meta game.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #67 - May 24th, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 3:02am:
This actually makes a lot of sense, as a meta game.

Would definitely bring balance to the sploits.

Of course its moot. Looking at how they handled AC its kind of a shame. Here's the thread from the AC boards:

https://www.asheronscall.com/en/forums/showthread.php?63916-Private-Server-updat...

Notice our old friends Sev and Cordo are there talking about it. I scrolled through the whole thing. It starts in late 2014 with Sev saying they are working on it. Then, in classic TurdBin Fashion, the devs just... stop talking. No updates, no news, not even a final "Sorry, guys, we couldn't make it work". Just silence.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - May 24th, 2016 at 11:51am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 11:40am:
Would definitely bring balance to the sploits.

Of course its moot. Looking at how they handled AC its kind of a shame. Here's the thread from the AC boards:

https://www.asheronscall.com/en/forums/showthread.php?63916-Private-Server-updat...

Notice our old friends Sev and Cordo are there talking about it. I scrolled through the whole thing. It starts in late 2014 with Sev saying they are working on it. Then, in classic TurdBin Fashion, the devs just... stop talking. No updates, no news, not even a final "Sorry, guys, we couldn't make it work". Just silence.

Lot of familiar themes on those forums, duping, where the fuck is our quarterly letter.....some things never change!

AC was a really kick ass game back in the day. (So was DDO!)

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #69 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 6:36pm:
I would go with "A lot" personally Tongue but I'm not saying the vault server would be all sunshine and happiness. There's such a huge fucking grind for some aspects of the game that a lot of people dupe strictly to get around it, so having some access to, especially duping matts, would be nice.

Also I'm pretty sure that if the vault had a server we'd eliminate BtC status entirely.

Probably also going back to Pre-MoTU, Pre-Enhancement Crash, Pre-Shadowfail, Ghostbaning of Loot....
Maybe keeping destinies and all the content added since then. ( it would be a lot of work to adapt it to old system )

Seal-Scroll-Shard everywhere, with a 1 for 5 exchange NPC for all the stuff ( still by pack though ).

Keep BTCoA for some specific item, the rest BTA or BTCoE... or even better unbound.

And who cares about duping... if we had a Vault Server it wouldn't be to make money out of it, it would be just for the fun...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #70 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:29am:
This is, has been, and forever shall be, the stupidest idea ever presented on this board.

Try to think about how much competition it has.

There have been far stupider.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #71 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Powercreep killed this game.

Maybe stick with D20 mechanics and numbers (stats, HP, Damage, etc . . .) that coincides with what you'd see in real D&D?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #72 - May 24th, 2016 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 12:12pm:
Probably also going back to Pre-MoTU, Pre-Enhancement Crash, Pre-Shadowfail, Ghostbaning of Loot....
Maybe keeping destinies and all the content added since then. ( it would be a lot of work to adapt it to old system )

This is actually far and away harder than it sounds. Rolling the game back to pre-MotU would be possible(assuming someone has that version of the game and patches lying around), but no way to add the content created since then. MAYBE the turbine devs could do it with a lot of work and complete access to the game source code, but it'd be impossible as a private server mod

Ok, almost impossible.

Seal-Scroll-Shard everywhere, with a 1 for 5 exchange NPC for all the stuff ( still by pack though ).

Easy - drop rates are all just a field on a table, changing the drop rate for the Shard of the Sword of Shadow, for instance, is as simple as finding the value in the database and changing it from the current 0 to whatever you want, like say any number greater than 0. (Yes, I know the eSoS shard does drop, I've seen it, I'm being facitious, there's no reason to correct me).

Adding shard/seal/scroll mechanics to other items actually wouldn't be very hard either. Creating items using new visual effects is a PTA, but making a "new" item based on an existing model, especially if it's going to do the same thing, is actually really really easy.

It'd just be a matter of changing the drop rate on the finished item to 0 and creating a shard/seal/scroll in the loot table. Adding the "trade these 4 items for this item" section to the Stone of Change would also be pretty simple. The hardest part would probably be getting the new scrolls to drop the way the old ones do, but even if that's too difficult it'd just be a matter of tossing them in chests - not a huge problem.

Your 5-1 exchange might take a bit of macgyvering, but even that's pretty doable. You just need an NP or device that accepts them and the rest can be scripted. It's all plausible.

Keep BTCoA for some specific item, the rest BTA or BTCoE... or even better unbound.

And who cares about duping... if we had a Vault Server it wouldn't be to make money out of it, it would be just for the fun...

Binding statuses are dealer's choice, I don't care too much one way or the other Tongue

But duping, well, it's not so much and issue of "money" as it is an issue of keeping people playing. If everyone only ever had to run a quest once for a specific ingredient or item, I think we'd pretty quickly see the server turn into an empty ghost town.

I like my idea of periodically toggling it. That way, finding and using exploits becomes a part of the game, but are not so prevalent that in time every single person knows they exist.

A mush harder, but also much more fun, element to add might even be if you could find a way to make the exsploits work for some people and not others, and have that change on a fairly random basis. So maybe today they work for me and not you, then tomorrow they work for you and no one else on the server, and so on.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #73 - May 24th, 2016 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 12:36pm:
Powercreep killed this game.

I disagree.

A.) the game is still going strong, I played last night. You might say "Powercreep killed the game for me"

And 2.) the TR Mechanic limits power creep fairly substantially over games that just have a straight "run to cap, stay there" system.

Yes, a lot of sought-after older gear has become obsolete, but a lot of other old gear is still considered best in slot. Obviously you'll find people that disagree(this is The Internet, the one and only thing we all agree on is that tities are awesome), but there are plenty who maintain an eSoS is the best two handed weapon from 20 to 28.

And then of course there's still TRing. When a lot of people talk about powercreep, they only talk about top-end, max-level gear. That makes no difference to the TR train. The fact that you can now get a +25 Strength item on your level 30 character doesn't really mean shit to all the people who aren't level 30.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - May 24th, 2016 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 1:02pm:
facitious

*facetious

There's that reason to correct you.

IP Logged