Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO profitable, for now. (Read 25618 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: DDO profitable, for now.
Reply #75 - May 24th, 2016 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 1:16pm:
*facetious

There's that reason to correct you.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #76 - May 24th, 2016 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 12:36pm:
Maybe stick with D20 mechanics and numbers

Those things don't scale well at level 30.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #77 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 1:49pm:
Those things don't scale well at level 30.

Cap the level at 20.   

Though I'm not sure how that works in 5th edition which you can be sure any new game will be based on.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #78 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 2:03pm:
Cap the level at 20.   

Though I'm not sure how that works in 5th edition which you can be sure any new game will be based on.

We'd have to roll the game back to before epic levels/epic destinies and have a point where the end-game grind was "heroic TR" and "grind for better gear".

This is somehow superior to a game where we have heroic TR, iconic TR, and epic TR options for end game, as well as grinding for gear?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #79 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 2:27pm:
This is somehow superior to a game where we have heroic TR, iconic TR, and epic TR options for end game, as well as grinding for gear?

Yes, it was a better game back then.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 2:31pm:

This. x1000.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #81 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 2:31pm:

I dunno. I seem to recall a lot of people bitching that there was nothing to do at end game except the limited # of epic quests and raids. Not to mention the painful wait for "HEALZZ!!!" for every raid.

Rose colored glasses.

I took an extended break right before motu came out and came back about 8 months ago. So the way the game was is still pretty fresh in my mind, because that's what I thought I was coming back to.

There have been some good changes, some bad changes in that time. Honestly, how many times can you run von/fens/carnival/sentinels epics before you just get bored and want to do something else?
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2016 at 2:42pm by somenewnoob »  

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Meh, make the cap 20, and scale all the MOTU+ quests/loot to the new cap. Maybe fix some things while you're doing it, like excessive mob spawns and retarded barriers.

Maybe fix the ladder bug too, while we're pissing in the wind.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #83 - May 24th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 2:46pm:
Meh, make the cap 20, and scale all the MOTU+ quests/loot to the new cap. Maybe fix some things while you're doing it, like excessive mob spawns and retarded barriers.

As I covered earlier, this is next to impossible without MASSIVE amounts of effort by long-experienced devs. As in months of 60-hour work-weeks, access to source code, etc. Stuff we are never, EVER going to get. Not even if Turbine decides to release the server software. And no, don't just come back with "well they can make it open source. They Can't.

Rolling back a server, meanwhile, is a comparatively trivial matter. Yeah, giving us a Pre-MotU server would pretty much be as simple as digging out the base installer and the neccessary patches, and finding the right version of the server code. Ok, this could be a bit harder because TurdBin, but in concept its something we could conceivably hope for.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #84 - May 24th, 2016 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Dropping the cap to 20 WILL kill the current DDO game.

Limiting the cap to 20 on a private server will insure the server has little appeal especially if DDO, as it currently stands, continues to operate.

Level 20 cap is a pipe dream.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2016 at 3:59pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #85 - May 24th, 2016 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 3:58pm:
Dropping the cap to 20 WILL kill the current DDO game.

Limiting the cap to 20 on a private server will insure the server has little appeal especially if DDO, as it currently stands, continues to operate.

Level 20 cap is a pipe dream.

^THIS^

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #86 - May 24th, 2016 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Dropping the cap is a retarded idea, whoever thought I meant that should eat a bullet.

I'm talking about if a NEW game was made with this IP.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #87 - May 24th, 2016 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 4:55pm:
Dropping the cap is a retarded idea, whoever thought I meant that should eat a bullet.

And we were talking about if Turbine decided to release a private server build like they tried to do with Ashron's Call. So maybe you shoulda stayed on topic Tongue

In response to your actual statement: end games need to evolve. There are two ways to accomplish this: raise the level cap, or make the loot better. Hard cap at 20 means massive power-creep with every successive content release.

Turbine actually showed genuine creativity when they invented a third option: reincarnate. This makes the whole game become the end-game, which is orders of magnitude more fun than "run the same 6 quests until you get all the loot, take a break until 3 new quests are released" approach other games use. Turbine then expanded upon a good idea by providing multiple forms of reincarnation,

A "new game" with a hard cap at 20, even with just DDO's heroic reincarnation mechanic, will not last to see 10 years.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #88 - May 24th, 2016 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 5:12pm:
And we were talking about if Turbine decided to release a private server build like they tried to do with Ashron's Call. So maybe you shoulda stayed on topic Tongue

In response to your actual statement: end games need to evolve. There are two ways to accomplish this: raise the level cap, or make the loot better. Hard cap at 20 means massive power-creep with every successive content release.

Turbine actually showed genuine creativity when they invented a third option: reincarnate. This makes the whole game become the end-game, which is orders of magnitude more fun than "run the same 6 quests until you get all the loot, take a break until 3 new quests are released" approach other games use. Turbine then expanded upon a good idea by providing multiple forms of reincarnation,

A "new game" with a hard cap at 20, even with just DDO's heroic reincarnation mechanic, will not last to see 10 years.

Or you do what some marketing idiot decided to call "expanding sideways". More content, more classes, races, spells, options. None of these have to equal more power, and I, for one, would be perfectly happy to play them if they were any fun.

Also, noam, please quote the rest of my post, wherein I stated that this was all a daydream anyway.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #89 - May 25th, 2016 at 2:58am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 1:02pm:
This is actually far and away harder than it sounds. Rolling the game back to pre-MotU would be possible(assuming someone has that version of the game and patches lying around), but no way to add the content created since then. MAYBE the turbine devs could do it with a lot of work and complete access to the game source code, but it'd be impossible as a private server mod

Ok, almost impossible.

Not that impossible... well in a sense yes, as it would require that somebody provides us the game data as they were at that time.

Adding the content is just adding new entries in the tables in the various dat files... and modifying the game client to deal with the split world ( mesh_1 = Eberron, mesh_2 ) Faerun )

Being able to run a Vault Server, means that he have to have access to at least part of the content code, after that it won't be more difficult than making PWs for NWN.
( well it will be... because there's no Aurora, so creating new content might be tricky, tweaking the existing content is a walk in a park as pointed below.

Easy - drop rates are all just a field on a table, changing the drop rate for the Shard of the Sword of Shadow, for instance, is as simple as finding the value in the database and changing it from the current 0 to whatever you want, like say any number greater than 0. (Yes, I know the eSoS shard does drop, I've seen it, I'm being facitious, there's no reason to correct me).

yup.

Adding shard/seal/scroll mechanics to other items actually wouldn't be very hard either. Creating items using new visual effects is a PTA, but making a "new" item based on an existing model, especially if it's going to do the same thing, is actually really really easy.

yup

It'd just be a matter of changing the drop rate on the finished item to 0 and creating a shard/seal/scroll in the loot table. Adding the "trade these 4 items for this item" section to the Stone of Change would also be pretty simple. The hardest part would probably be getting the new scrolls to drop the way the old ones do, but even if that's too difficult it'd just be a matter of tossing them in chests - not a huge problem.

Not that hard, the on_death script exists to check if the mob drops collectible or not... just add to it with the correct drop rate ( or make a copy/paste of the existing script, then replacing the scrolls that drops by the ones freshly created ).

Your 5-1 exchange might take a bit of macgyvering, but even that's pretty doable. You just need an NP or device that accepts them and the rest can be scripted. It's all plausible.

No macgyverism involved... Use the Sand NPC, you just have to extend his list of items.... just more entries in a list.

For the Private Servers to be able to live beyond a few weeks/months Turbine will have to release some of the content code, otherwise the servers will just be a snapshot of the game at a given time and totally static ( beyond local GM involvement ). That's the same for all the games... and that's what happened in NWN/NWN2. PWs that didn't give regular updates died pretty fast, as people moved to another one.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #90 - May 25th, 2016 at 9:12am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 6:36pm:
I think it'd be funny if the vault server admins could turn the exploiting on and off at random intervals, kind of like how things come and go on the live servers.

That seems perfect. Maintain the flavor of the current game. Smiley

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #91 - May 25th, 2016 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 25th, 2016 at 2:58am:
No macgyverism involved... Use the Sand NPC, you just have to extend his list of items.... just more entries in a list.

Does the sands NPC trade shards and seals? I thought he only did scrolls. Would not be hard to add shards and seals I am sure.

Flav wrote on May 25th, 2016 at 2:58am:
For the Private Servers to be able to live beyond a few weeks/months Turbine will have to release some of the content code, otherwise the servers will just be a snapshot of the game at a given time and totally static ( beyond local GM involvement ). That's the same for all the games... and that's what happened in NWN/NWN2. PWs that didn't give regular updates died pretty fast, as people moved to another one.

The private WoW servers I was dicking around with would run on either of 2 principles: the first was to be a snapshot of the game at a specific time(E.G. "vanilla" WoW), the second was to simply roll out whatever new content bliz had released. As soon as a patch came out, they'd get it and update their servers accordingly, basically just keeping in line with the existing game and letting bliz handle development.

We would only need access to game files to do what you suggest(lower the cap but somehow adapt the existing content to the lowered ML). And that I think would require turning over technology Turbine can't legally share. We can legitimately hope for a Private Server(fan made or from Turbine), but we can't hope for the kind of massive changes a lot of people are suggesting.

Side Note: this could be a fairly interesting way for Turbine to keep the game profitable even after it's extinction. Here me out: let's say they release an official "PW" package. Its just the current game, but allows for some tweeking(drop rates, NPCs, etc, maybe even a rudimentary content creation system). People get to run private servers and make them free, or even charge their own subscriptions. But the DDO store stays alive, and Turbine gets to continue selling turbine points, adventure packs, and other store items. Instead of maintaining a data center, they just have to keep the store going. It's a silly idea but it could trickle in some money and keep the game alive a bit longer.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #92 - May 25th, 2016 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 2:40pm:
I dunno. I seem to recall a lot of people bitching that there was nothing to do at end game except the limited # of epic quests and raids.

Yes, and we clearly told them what to do about that - focus on more quality content - more raids, more quests, keep us content with, well... content. But they didn't. System after system to add new grind, instead of investing in what made the game great in the first place - quality combat engine with quality quests, for the most part. Quests since MotU have been mostly shitty, that's the second biggest problem this game has. The first is incessant fucking tinkering.

Edit: They could've still monetised that way too, with a little creativity, before that old chestnut comes out.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2016 at 12:40pm by kum-gulp »  

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #93 - May 25th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on May 25th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
Yes, and we clearly told them what to do about that - focus on more quality content - more raids, more quests, keep us content with, well... content. But they didn't. System after system to add new grind, instead of investing in what made the game great in the first place - quality combat engine with quality quests, for the most part. Quests since MotU have been mostly shitty, that's the second biggest problem this game has. The first is incessant fucking tinkering.

Edit: They could've still monetised that way too, with a little creativity, before that old chestnut comes out.

DDO has definitely jumped the shark quest wise. I did enjoy search and rescue, but other than that basically everything in the last 2 years is complete shit or just making old quests epic. The last quest they added that I actually like is Precious Cargo. (Which was around june 2014 I think).

But pre-motu there wasn't enough content to keep people interested. A lot of it was good content, there just wasn't enough of it to keep boredom at bay.

So saying it "was a better game back then" isn't entirely true. It still sucked. Just in a different way!
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2016 at 1:00pm by somenewnoob »  

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #94 - May 25th, 2016 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 4:55pm:

Level cap at 20 was a high water mark for the game.  I'd not want to see the game go back to that per se, but would like to see the systems work that was done after that re-done.

Examples:

Loot - Loot should have been planned out from 20-30-beyond in advance with a logical progression.  Not the stops and starts.  Not EN/EH/EE variants, the randomization variants, the FoS combined prefix/suffix variants, the ghostbane debacle, and the new loot pass. 

Iconics - Should have been handled as races with no 1 level class restriction and a unique racial enhancement tree, or as PRE/enhancement tree add-ons for an existing class.  Given that they want unique looks/graphics, I go with Races.  And then I-PL's become racial PL's.  See next item. 

Races - Should have PL's as well that get earned. 

Epic Levels - The generic epic levels are an abomination and boring.  Should have been re-done.  With Getting to Epic Cap and then TR-ing giving you an added bonus to your class PL vs. TR at 20. 

Epic Destinies -  E-TR should be be an ED-TR and tied to the Destiny trees.  Earning ED-PL's should be independent of Class PL and Racial PL.  These also should have been handled differently than they are.

It feels like they didn't plan out 20-30.  They planned out 20-25, 26-28, and then 29-30.  It was just a confused mess.  Shown by the way ED XP didn't match well with Epic XP and they had to re-do the curve when they went to 30.  And they had to re-do loot. 

I'm fine with cap at 30.  I just don't like how they organized the systems.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #95 - May 25th, 2016 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 25th, 2016 at 2:34pm:
It feels like they didn't plan out 20-30.  ...   

Very true, in fact sometimes it feels like it was reaction rather than a plan.

The epic experience at that point for loot was a driver for sure, but not such a embittering process that it created cynicism like the past three years of loot and level expansion created.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2016 at 2:47pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #96 - May 25th, 2016 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 25th, 2016 at 2:34pm:
Level cap at 20 was a high water mark for the game.  I'd not want to see the game go back to that per se, but would like to see the systems work that was done after that re-done.

Examples:

Loot - Loot should have been planned out from 20-30-beyond in advance with a logical progression.  Not the stops and starts.  Not EN/EH/EE variants, the randomization variants, the FoS combined prefix/suffix variants, the ghostbane debacle, and the new loot pass. 

Iconics - Should have been handled as races with no 1 level class restriction and a unique racial enhancement tree, or as PRE/enhancement tree add-ons for an existing class.  Given that they want unique looks/graphics, I go with Races.  And then I-PL's become racial PL's.  See next item. 

Races - Should have PL's as well that get earned. 

Epic Levels - The generic epic levels are an abomination and boring.  Should have been re-done.  With Getting to Epic Cap and then TR-ing giving you an added bonus to your class PL vs. TR at 20. 

Epic Destinies -  E-TR should be be an ED-TR and tied to the Destiny trees.  Earning ED-PL's should be independent of Class PL and Racial PL.  These also should have been handled differently than they are.

It feels like they didn't plan out 20-30.  They planned out 20-25, 26-28, and then 29-30.  It was just a confused mess.  Shown by the way ED XP didn't match well with Epic XP and they had to re-do the curve when they went to 30.  And they had to re-do loot. 

I'm fine with cap at 30.  I just don't like how they organized the systems.   

Agreed. The whole thing is definitely better than being capped at 20, sideways expansion be damned, but it could definitely have been a whole lot better.

I do think though that adding the three types of reincarnation, even if each could stand to be improved, was really great.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #97 - May 26th, 2016 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
When do they need to renew their licensing from WotC?  The only way I see the OP as not a troll is if they'd have to pay up for licensing in the fall and need to come to a decision by then.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #98 - May 27th, 2016 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Quote:
When do they need to renew their licensing from WotC?  The only way I see the OP as not a troll is if they'd have to pay up for licensing in the fall and need to come to a decision by then.

The OP is 100% trolling and extremely ineffectually.

IP Logged

Kype
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #99 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
I was right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint