Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Lessons from Square-Enix for Turbine (Read 16466 times)
Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Lessons from Square-Enix for Turbine
May 23rd, 2016 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I read the following article, and thought:

"Wow. There's lessons to be learned about entitlement, entrenched dogma and tunnel-vision with an established brand here."

Feel free to flame, because I'm not 100% sure this doesn't belong in "Off Topic/ Other Games."

http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-15-director-explains-how-final-fantasy-d...

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Lessons from Square-Enix for Turbine
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Its a neat perspective. I've always though FF fans were some of the most inspid and fanboyish. Did you ever try to play an FF MMO? Talk about dick in a pencil sharpener...

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2016 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Can't say I have ever.

I usually avoid MMOs.

The original Diablo online experience really turned me off online gaming for  LONG time (I'm dating myself now...)

DDO is the only one I stuck with more than a few sessions. Mainly because of the near-mythical IP that Turbine is raping into non-existence and irrelevance with their agonizing lack of creativity, or even common sense.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Tilo
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:27am
Print Post  
FFO was one of the most meaningful PvP games ever. Each death was -10% of a level worth of XP, and you would often delevel.It was 30+ hours per level higher up, so it was hours of xp lost.

Add in much of the top end loot being dropped from world bosses for only the person or party that killed it on a 1-2 week cycle, and it was a slaughter fest. It wasn't unusual for 50+ people to die fighting over a single boss, and I killed so many toons...

BST Smiley
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2016 at 2:34am by »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2016 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
PvP games ever.

counter strike is where the esport pros are at. overwatch is new and might take the crown. those are the top pvp games out there.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2016 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 3:08pm:
There's lessons to be learned

And then you thought Turbine could do that? Learn?

Or were you thinking more that we're the ones who need to wake up, since hypothetically, we still might be able to figure out: Turbine will never produce anything that matches our vision of what DDO ought to be?

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2016 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 3:19am:
counter strike is where the esport pros are at. overwatch is new and might take the crown. those are the top pvp games out there. 

Overwatch looks good, especially with 15 different character options.  I'm going to wait for the hype to calm down and see if it seems worth buying.  I can't tell from their homepage if the P2W aspect is just for cosmetic stuff or if it actually powers up your character.  They talk about customizing your look and earning commendations which just seem like bragging rights, but there's a hint in there of P2W power-ups.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 6:06am:
Overwatch looks good, especially with 15 different character options.  I'm going to wait for the hype to calm down and see if it seems worth buying.  I can't tell from their homepage if the P2W aspect is just for cosmetic stuff or if it actually powers up your character.  They talk about customizing your look and earning commendations which just seem like bragging rights, but there's a hint in there of P2W power-ups.

this is about as far as they went http://blizzardwatch.com/2016/02/11/overwatch-loot-boxes-cosmetic-rewards/

all cosmetics, no p2w game changing items or abilities. They said future heroes and expansion maps would be free. They didnt come out and say it will not ever be p2w because I think they want to see how profitable they can be right now. If the game catches on and people are buying the cosmetics then the game should be or has the chance to be a full non-p2w shooter. A sort of mix of League(heroes) and Counter Strike. A moba shooter. This would allow Blizzard to have a major new esport.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 7:56pm:
Mainly because of the near-mythical IP that Turbine is raping into non-existence and irrelevance with their agonizing lack of creativity, or even common sense.

I'd argue that this guy did that first.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2016 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 3:19am:

Agreed. If you want PvP go play an FPS or a MOBA.

DDO did PvP best by ignoring it completely.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Shouldn't the most important aspect of a game, or any sort of media for that matter, be "is this fun?" I personally couldn't care less how close DDO is to the original rulebook; I care about how fun the game is to play. Obviously for the sake of translating the DnD experience to a MMO platform, certain sacrifices will have to be made in terms of original source material.

The more important thing for me is that over the years, DDO has simply become less fun: lack of engaging new content, too much of a grindfest, declining population, too many pay2win aspects being introduced, etc. None of this relates to how close DDO follows the DnD formula.

IP Logged

Spoon
Stormreaver Piker

Fuck yeah Drama!

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Shouldn't the most important aspect of a game, or any sort of media for that matter, be "is this fun?" I personally couldn't care less how close DDO is to the original rulebook; I care about how fun the game is to play. Obviously for the sake of translating the DnD experience to a MMO platform, certain sacrifices will have to be made in terms of original source material.

The more important thing for me is that over the years, DDO has simply become less fun: lack of engaging new content, too much of a grindfest, declining population, too many pay2win aspects being introduced, etc. None of this relates to how close DDO follows the DnD formula.

Gotta say I agree.  If the intent of linking to the article was to say, "a problem is people's preconceived notions on what a DnD game should be have led to poor design decisions" then I'm not sure I agree with that.  We could have a faithful adaptation of the DnD material, but if it was still wrapped in a pay2win, grindfest, with uninspiring no challenge content, then it'd still suck.

Though at most I will agree that staying more faithful to the source material could be argued as saying "power-creep is bad."  But I've seen DnD campaigns with Monty Haul problems that make DDO's pale in comparison, so that's certainly no panacea either.

The USA is having so many disasters and tragedies you'd almost think it was built on thousands of ancient Indian burial grounds.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
D&D has existed for more than 40 years, despite accusations of witchcraft and the very real social stigma of nerd-ism back in the day, because it's fun. How those rules are adapted to games and other media is where DDO did pretty well before MOTU, and failed completely afterward.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2016 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I think it was Meursault that cogently argued this point.
Keeping DDO similar to DnD (where possible) was less about authenticity and more about following a well trialled and tested system focussed on balance.
Deviating from the core of 3rd ed DnD (D20) opened up a huge can of worms that these game developers had not considered.  D20 isn't perfect but it has been refined through hundreds of thousands of hours of play testing (Turbine devs may need to Google that last term).
If they wanted to decouple from D20, they should have just emulated a D100 system like role master.  Instead we have a bastard hybrid abomination that is completely fucked up.
They have an open ended % system for PRR/MRR combined with a constrained % for dodge combined with an absolute value hurdle system for AC.  What a mess.
Skill and stat tests remain on the D20 system but with a range much larger than ever envisaged.

They have to choose which playing group they want to provide challenge too.
If we set the skill test for Leet players, then casual players will have no chance.  So the skill test can't be mandatory to the quest progression.  And so on and so on - the compromises begin.

I fully agree that an MMO needs to be different mechanically to make sense in some areas, but some design decisions have been incredibly flawed, but rather than fix it, Turbine continues to just double down again and again.  I have no problems accepting rational changes that make sense to increase the fun of the MMO system, but it needs to be done with a view to the future.

And what level 30 PnP toon can do 30-50k burst damage against foes that have 1M+ HP?  Turbine have got their scaling all screwed up.

IMHO, most of the power creep originates at the point they chose to move right away from the PnP system.  They lost their way and were too proud to admit it.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #14 - May 25th, 2016 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Turbine is raping

It is like the guys at turbine watched I spit on your grave and said, "Hey we should do that to the IP we acquired."

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - May 26th, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
If Turbine was a character in the movie

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - May 26th, 2016 at 2:00am
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 25th, 2016 at 8:16pm:
I think it was Meursault that cogently argued this point.
Keeping DDO similar to DnD (where possible) was less about authenticity and more about following a well trialled and tested system focussed on balance.
Deviating from the core of 3rd ed DnD (D20) opened up a huge can of worms that these game developers had not considered.  D20 isn't perfect but it has been refined through hundreds of thousands of hours of play testing

This is nostalgia speaking.  Or just a failure to understand game mechanics.  PnP D&D is not balanced, and it never has been.  If that is the result of "hundreds of thousands of hours of play testing," you can keep it.

All versions of PnP D&D have had the failure of linear martial classes and quadratic casters.

Early versions tried to balance this using the mechanic of "suck now, and if you live you'll rule later," which is a horrible mechanic.  Magic Users leveled much slower than martial classes, and had horrible Hit Points and Armor Class as well.  IIRC they couldn't even use a high Con to mitigate that much since they were capped at a maximum of +2hp/level.  But once they got to about 7th or 9th level, they took off, with a spells that did as much or more damage than any martial weapon and could also do them in an area effect.  Plus of course the numerous utility spells that could replace any other class except another caster.  Need more meat shields?  Summon a monster.  Traps, wall needing climbing, or pits?  We have spells for that, too.

Once they did away with the XP difference between the classes it just got worse.  Every new core rule set introduced more and more spells, increasing the casters utility and power.  Every splat book had even more spells, even those supposedly dedicated to the martial classes.  And while new rules for the martial classes made them better than their prior version counterparts, still the difference between martial and caster became wider, faster.

In D&D 3 and 3.5 a Wizard or Druid or Cleric at 1st level is superior in all ways to any of the martial classes at 1st level, and that superiority only continues to grow and widen as they each gain levels.

Building an encounter that is challenging to the martial classes while not being a yawn fest to the casters is a huge challenge for any DM.  Conversely, if you throw an encounter at a mixed group which challenges the casters, expect that the martial classes will either feel useless, or will die off, or both.

This is not just in some hypothetical setting where the DM favors the casters.  This is how the game plays if it is played by the rules.  This is what you are praising as being "well trialed and tested" and "refined."

What surprised me the most, when I first started playing DDO, was the discovery that the martial classes were at the top of the heap.  I figured, from my experiences with earlier D&D games such as Pool of Radiance, etc. that casters would not be as powerful in comparison to martials as they are in PnP D&D, if only because the digital format limits things to a large degree that is not possible in a sandbox setting such as PnP D&D.  There is no Fly spell, for example, which is just one of the many spells a Wizard can use to make martial skills such as climb useless, and to get around a great many obstacles that people who can't fly have to go through instead.

And I heard many people relate how previous to my joining casters could just cast 'save or die' spells all day long, such as Finger of Death and similar spells and beat the dungeon that way.  Which is exactly how things can happen in PnP D&D.  There is no artificial immunity for the 'boss mob' in PnP.  There are no Champions, or Red named.  There is a spell DC, and a saving throw, and if your evil overlord has a superior saving throw against those and other spells it's only because he has an item that one of your players will soon be wearing.  So a DM needs to plan very carefully, if they are going to avoid the swift demise of their encounters.  Or they have to cheat the players.  Those are the only two options, because that's how the rules are written.

The point being, DDO was built on the already quite flawed and unbalanced base of D&D 3.5.  That Turbine has managed to keep people playing for 10 years after being handed that mess as a starting point says something for them.  They have plenty of major flaws they still need to answer for, but they haven't done everything wrong.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - May 26th, 2016 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Frank,

I agree with the general premise that the power level change as you progress.  Arcane classes get more powerful as they level up, while martial classes lose out on AOE damage and versatility.  That is just part of the progression.  The only way to change that was 4E - which was a fucking joke and made every class boring as all hell.

Frank wrote on May 26th, 2016 at 2:00am:
In D&D 3 and 3.5 a Wizard or Druid or Cleric at 1st level is superior in all ways to any of the martial classes at 1st level, and that superiority only continues to grow and widen as they each gain levels.

I disagree with this statement.  You're saying that your 4hp first level wizard with one spell per day is superior in every way to a 1st fighter?
That wizard can cast one spell per day.  The fighter can attack hundreds of times per day, and wear heavy armour to mitigate damage.

Building an encounter that is challenging to the martial classes while not being a yawn fest to the casters is a huge challenge for any DM.  Conversely, if you throw an encounter at a mixed group which challenges the casters, expect that the martial classes will either feel useless, or will die off, or both.

I'm sorry, but in my play experience and thirty years as GM, I have to disagree.
This is a problem at the higher levels for sure, but your example implies the whole range is affected.

Another part of your analysis I disagree with is the class vs class comparison.   DnD is intended as a party based game, that can be played solo.
This is why you have the four class archetypes.
Mages cannot heal and don't really have rogue skills, nor are they good in combat.  You can cross some of those boundaries with spells and abilities and eventually epic class levels.
The main premise, I believe, is the synergy between the classes.  How can the Mage protect the fighter or augment the fighter?
Earlier years in DDO adhered to that class split when party based play was viable. in response to declining player numbers, that had to open up solo ability.
The implementation of this is where they started to go wrong.  By blurring the class boundaries, they moved away from the tried and tested archetype system that had been the core of DnD for many years.

As a GM, I discouraged individual players from trying to dominate and solo everything and you can encourage that behaviour through good challenge design.  Everyone has their time to shine, may not be every quest, but you ensure the martial classes get to utilise their strengths too.

There is no Fly spell, for example, which is just one of the many spells a Wizard can use to make martial skills such as climb useless, and to get around a great many obstacles that people who can't fly have to go through instead.

It is part of the PnP to MMO translation.
Some things don't translate well.
The wizard can cast the same spell on the fighter in the party.  Not having an arcane means having to do things old-school.
The devs can choose what to bring from PnP to DDO for balance purposes - I said that.

.casters could just cast 'save or die' spells all day long, such as Finger of Death and similar spells and beat the dungeon that way.  Which is exactly how things can happen in PnP D&D.

How do this happen in PnP?
At 20th level a wizard can cast four 7th level spells per day?
Wizards can get extra spells from specialisation and high INT, but that is hardly being able to FoD all day long?

The reason DDO casters can do this is because of the choice to use a spell point pool instead of castings per day.  And I understand the reason to use that mechanic, but you can hardly taint 3.5 PnP with that flaw?

So a DM needs to plan very carefully, if they are going to avoid the swift demise of their encounters.  Or they have to cheat the players.  Those are the only two options, because that's how the rules are written.

Yes, what is your point?
A developer planning a quest for an MMO needs to plan very carefully and test it thoroughly.  I don't see how this point makes the use of PnP rules in DDO invalid?

We get the bosses loot in every chest we pull in DDO.  I don't hear anyone complaining that the sword, armour, ring and potions he was using against us is not in the end chest?  The players can learn to accept some things.

The point being, DDO was built on the already quite flawed and unbalanced base of D&D 3.5.  That Turbine has managed to keep people playing for 10 years after being handed that mess as a starting point says something for them.  They have plenty of major flaws they still need to answer for, but they haven't done everything wrong.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your premise of a flawed base.
DDO moved away from that base initially, and I thought it was ok in the first few years.  But then the deviations started to happen and the move into untested waters was unwise and did not work out well.  As others showed above, Epics were the worst because there was no clear plan.  It was just stumbling from one producer to the next.

I'm not arguing that any edition of DnD was perfect, but 3.5 was the zenith in my opinion.
Sure if you incorporated all the reference material, it became a friggin mess and balance was easily messed up unless you were very careful.
I still use 3.5, and enjoy it.  We rarely play past level 20 because by then we're all looking for something new and switch roles and campaigns.

My main criticism of 3.5 was how time consuming and tedious that combat can be, and how daunting AoO can be for novices.  I found it used to get in the way of storytelling and could become boring for those less interested in rules lawyering.

But then I saw how 4E simplified combat, and I shut my mouth and was grateful for 3rd ed.    Embarrassed

There are house rules you can use to modify your campaign to suit your ideas of balance.  a dev team can do exactly the same with an MMO.  I have no problems with that.  But the core should probably stay unless you have a very good reason to do so.

Frank - I respect your points and arguments, but I think we need to agree to disagree.   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2016 at 3:06am by PersonaNonGrata »  

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 26th, 2016 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
This is nostalgia speaking.  Or just a failure to understand game mechanics.  PnP D&D is not balanced, and it never has been.  If that is the result of "hundreds of thousands of hours of play testing," you can keep it.

lol, show me where the big bad 3.5E touched you on the doll.

And DDO should never be "balanced", anyway, in addition to all the good points PNG made above.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - May 26th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on May 26th, 2016 at 1:41pm:
And DDO should never be "balanced", anyway, in addition to all the good points PNG made above.

There's a fine line. DDO has no reason to be "balanced" the way PvP-centric games are. But if one specific build is too much stronger than every other build, there quickly becomes no reason to play any of the others.

This is where we can take a lesson from Magic: The Gathering. During a block many years ago, they inadvertantly made a particular deck archetype massively over-powered. So for about a year, that was all anyone played. The result was an extremely toxic community environment as everyone who wanted to be the least bit competitive has to play that one deck.

Without some mild balancing, DDO could end up the same way. Sure, there's no competition, but you'd have a lot less fun if there was one all-powerful build and if you wanted to play anything else, you were just piking.

I experienced this in WoW ages ago. During the vanilla days, only a few classes could do anything. If you wanted a flavor build, like Paladin, you were basically useless. Priest out-healed you, warrior out-tanked you, rogue out DPSed you. And in a game where that's all anyone did, it was not fun.

So a little balance makes the game fun.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #20 - May 26th, 2016 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
(I'm dating myself now...)

You just dating, or are you fucking yourself?

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - May 27th, 2016 at 8:36am
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 26th, 2016 at 2:52am:
I disagree with this statement.  You're saying that your 4hp first level wizard with one spell per day is superior in every way to a 1st fighter?
That wizard can cast one spell per day.  The fighter can attack hundreds of times per day, and wear heavy armour to mitigate damage.

Yes, because you have your facts wrong.
The Wizard has an 18 or 20 Int, because of point buy (just like in DDO) and a much wider racial option base.  The Wizard doesn't have one spell, he has 3 0 level spells and 2 1st level spells, or if at 20 Int 3 and 3.  And since he is a specialist he has 4 and 3 or 4 and 4.

The game is balanced around 3 combats per day.  So even the 18 Int Wizard can cast a cantrip and a 1st level spell in each combat, or adjust as they see fit.  And those spells are far more effective than the martial classes.  Sleep takes out 4 HD of creatures all at once.  The 1st level Fighter will be lucky to kill 4 HD of creatures over time without taking a significant amount of damage.  Unless they come at him in martial arts movie style, one at a time...  Grease, Obscuring Mist, Charm Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, Expeditious Retreat, and others are also quite potent.  Of the Cantrips Daze and Touch of Fatigue are nice.

You might notice that I didn't list a single Evocation spell.  That's because while a Wizard can do damage, they are far better off just taking out opponents with Sleep and the like, or debuffing them for the martial classes or themselves to polish off with ease.

At 1st level the Fighter or other martial class has an entire 1 BAB advantage over the Wizard.  So the Wizard is shooting a bow (Elf) or using some other ranged weapon with almost the exact same proficiency as the martial classes, while looking for the need to cast a spell.

Quote:
This is a problem at the higher levels for sure, but your example implies the whole range is affected.

That's because it is.  It just becomes more easy to see at higher levels.

Quote:
Another part of your analysis I disagree with is the class vs class comparison.   DnD is intended as a party based game, that can be played solo.

And that is why I didn't go into a class vs. class comparison.  If you want to talk PvP then the arcane classes are even more clearly dominant right from 1st level.

Quote:
As a GM, I discouraged individual players from trying to dominate and solo everything and you can encourage that behaviour through good challenge design.  Everyone has their time to shine, may not be every quest, but you ensure the martial classes get to utilise their strengths too.
Now see right here you are conceding the point.  You had to 'encourage' the casters to allow the martials their time to shine.  If you had a player who decided they were just bored waiting for the martials to shine and dominated in all encounters you had only two options:  Kick them out of your group, or cheat against them.  Because as the rules are written they could do just that and you'd have no recourse.

Quote:
How do this happen in PnP?
At 20th level a wizard can cast four 7th level spells per day?
Wizards can get extra spells from specialisation and high INT, but that is hardly being able to FoD all day long?

Yes, all day long for all practical purposes.  Again, the game is designed for three encounters per day.  And again, your spell count is incorrect.  By 20th level the Wizard has a 24+ due to leveling stats and and that nice Int item that they can make themselves at that point, and casts 5 or more 7th level spells per day, 6 as a specialist.

So at least 2 FoD per encounter, plus of course the massive number of spells of levels 1-6 that they have memorized.  And scrolls, due to the 1st level free feat of Scribe Scroll.

Some people see this and go "Aha!  I'll just throw a few more encounters at them, that'll show those pesky casters and their limited number of spells!"
No, all that does is kill your martials off.  They are the ones with no access to healing spells, they are the ones without magical means to escape.  Martials will always have fewer options in an encounter than a caster.  And options are not only fun, they are survivability.  The smart Wizard uses that 1st level free feat of Scribe scroll and is never without an option.  The Fighter can swing a sword, or shoot a bow.  But only one well.  If overwhelmed, the Fighter has to run, the Wizard not only is not slowed down by armor but can cast Expeditious Retreat for an additional 30' movement.  Or Fly.  Or Dimension Door.  Or Invisibility.  Or a host of other options.

Any attempts to tweak the average encounters per day only hurts the martials more than the casters.

And sure, the martials can also get magic items that allow them weightless armor, or Fly, or other effects.  But that just lets them be useful in a fight.  Without them most fights at higher levels would see them standing or moving around ineffectively while the casters did all the winning.

Quote:
Yes, what is your point?
A developer planning a quest for an MMO needs to plan very carefully and test it thoroughly.  I don't see how this point makes the use of PnP rules in DDO invalid?
My point, which I thought I made fairly clearly, is that the DM basically need to coddle the martials in order to allow them to contribute.  If he does not, they will eventually feel rather like third wheels to the spell casters.  And as I also said, if the casters are challenged then the martials either can't contribute much or just die.

Quote:
We get the bosses loot in every chest we pull in DDO.  I don't hear anyone complaining that the sword, armour, ring and potions he was using against us is not in the end chest?  The players can learn to accept some things.
You're talking about cheating now.  Buffing the opponents saving throws to keep the casters from dominating but not having those buffs equate to the items that they should as treasure.  Which I have allowed is a valid way to try to balance PnP 3.5.  But it's still cheating, and by resorting to this you are conceding the point that the casters are dominant and the martials need help to contribute.

Quote:
I'm not arguing that any edition of DnD was perfect, but 3.5 was the zenith in my opinion.
Sure if you incorporated all the reference material, it became a friggin mess and balance was easily messed up unless you were very careful.

This is another false conclusion:  That the core rule books were balanced and that only by allowing the mass of source books did the game get out of hand.  It is not accurate.  Core 3.5 is just as unbalanced, and playing a 'core only' campaign is not a solution to the problem.  Because the problem starts with core and only gets worse from there.  Plus a lot of the splat books, such as The Complete Warrior, offer martial classes that aren't gimped right from character creation.

WeHaveLived wrote on May 26th, 2016 at 1:41pm:
lol, show me where the big bad 3.5E touched you on the doll.

I can't.  I play casters, we have spells against that.   Grin Grin Grin

But that doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for the poor fool who picks Fighter, Monk, etc. at character creation.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2016 at 8:46am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #22 - May 27th, 2016 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 8:36am:
This is another false conclusion:  That the core rule books were balanced and that only by allowing the mass of source books did the game get out of hand.  It is not accurate.  Core 3.5 is just as unbalanced, and playing a 'core only' campaign is not a solution to the problem.  Because the problem starts with core and only gets worse from there.  Plus a lot of the splat books, such as The Complete Warrior, offer martial classes that aren't gimped right from character creation.

Core has all the most broken stuff. Most of the supposedly OP splat books actually help the martial classes narrow the gap a bit.

I'm thinking it would help to just ban Fighter, Monk, Paladin, etc. and replace them with Warblade, Swordsage, Crusader.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #23 - May 27th, 2016 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
4E didn't have this caster problem.

It had this Rogue problem.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - May 28th, 2016 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Frank,

I won't respond to all your points individually.
You make some good points and my only comment is that you are taking the extreme.  I've never had a 20 INT Mage at 1st level.
So this comes down to how you play I guess, and in an MMO you can choose to min/max, so your point is technically valid.
Just be aware that other people may play differently to you.

PnP is about role playing and my group has learned that min/maxing can make their characters one dimensional.  They have learned that a balanced and skilled up character (and party) is more effective in meeting the challenges I present them.
I don't always present challenges that a sleep or fireball spell will solve.

The 3 encounters per day sounds suspiciously like 4E?
I've never worked on 3 encounters per day, ever.
DDO does not need to either - it is a matter of having enough power for a quest.  How you balance that is completely up to the devs.  Pre-chosen spell list, shrines do or don't replenish spells/SP's, use of scrolls.  The balance is configurable.

But back to the MMO, I guess a lot of that is removed in DDO because it comes down to DPS and a few skill checks.

I have seen occasions where other classes have dominated too.  Once had a thief that the NPC's could never detect, so he was always assassinating the mob leaders.

As a GM you must adapt.
You have a black and white view and call it cheating.  I call it storytelling.  Player enjoyment > rules lawyering.
So long as you don't overdo it, most mature players accept it.

I know, another "ah ha " moment for you - the game is broken because you need to do this!!!
DnD isn't intended for strict rule adherence - they're guidelines.  I remember reading the preface to one of the earlier books that said so,eating like this.  Fun is the priority, use the rules as you se fit, but have fun.  Having consistent rules makes the players feel that your world is fair.

If you're looking for strict rule adherence then you're better off playing board games, chess or noughts and crosses.

Can casters do more in PnP, yes, they are more versatile.
But they should be limited in their power and squishy.
You talk about the absolute max theoretical spells per day, which need not be reality, and there are savings throws and magic resistance to help keep the balance.  These aren't cheating - these are mechanisms a GM can use to balance an adventure, just like DR can be used to take the edge off martial attacks.

There is a role for martial classes as part of a team in PnP, and DDO.  Martial classes make an excellent introductory class to the game.  I think DDO is different as martial classes have so many clickies to maximise damage.
Paladins, Cavaliers and Barbs make excellent foundations for role playing.

DDO is currently dominated by Martial classes as you said, but I don't believe they dominate for the right reasons - that being mobs have too many HP, and only martial classes can do sustained ludicrously high damage output.  The balance is wrong.  DPS has been made the only measure of effectiveness.  DDO should have quests where a particular class(es) are needed, or certain skills - but they can't do that because multi-classing is mandatory and all the powers are front loaded.
There should be trade-offs to multi-classing.  And skills are broken, so skill based challenge is either 100% success or 100% failure.

An MMO is always going to have extremes, because people can build the ultimate toons.  And by balance, I don't mean sameness or symmetry in damage output.  I mean no one style dominates completely.  You can choose to be an arty, have fun and be competitive (unlike at present where generalist classes like Druid and Arty scale woefully into Epic levels).  You don't take a support class to be highest dps, you take it to be more versatile.  And these trade-offs should be ok in a good balanced game, but DDO just needs DPS.

Despite your compelling examples, I still don't think 3e or 3.5e is as broken as you believe, but we have different opinions.
I have no trouble balancing it, and that is not an admission that it is broken. Some players in PnP play their classes better than others, it doesn't mean the class is broken or OP, but just that the GM needs to be attentive to this.

My original supposition remains.
DnD 3.5e was a good basis for DDO, and the deviation away from the core principles has contributed to DDO's current state.
Anything in PnP has been play tested and thought out far more than the 5 incompetents in DDO can come up with over bagels and massages.
It doesn't make it good (4E), but it does mean it is a more balanced system than anything we have in DDO.

There are many other factors contributing to DDO's state too - lack of compelling content, appalling QA, diminished CS, unprofessionalism and lack of marketing also.

Can I ask - in your view, what system would make a better basis for DDO?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint