Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Dear Fran (Read 35824 times)
Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: Dear Fran
Reply #100 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:04am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 21st, 2016 at 9:49am:
I just don't know how people die on EH traps.  You have to be doing something incredibly wrong.   Only ones that I know of that should kill you are those in 3BC that they added that even rogues die in.

That's because you're changing the context.
Frank wrote on Jun 21st, 2016 at 9:42am:
Yes, traps are seriously deadly in epic heroics.

See there where it says 'epic?'

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #101 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:17am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 20th, 2016 at 9:27am:
There are no heroic past lives that make a significant difference in the ease of leveling a character to 20. 

not individually, and not at this point in the game. But they do add up and make a difference. Sorc's +3 to evo dc, will saves from bard, trap saves from rogue, wiz past life for all dcs, pally hamp, and maybe 45 hps. Rest aren't that good. Epic lives are where it's at.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #102 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:17am:
not individually, and not at this point in the game. But they do add up and make a difference. Sorc's +3 to evo dc, will saves from bard, trap saves from rogue, wiz past life for all dcs, pally hamp, and maybe 45 hps. Rest aren't that good. Epic lives are where it's at.   

Fighter past lives are useful if you are a melee.  Up to +3 tactical DC isn't bad.

IP Logged

apep
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #103 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:04am:
See there where it says 'epic?'

I see that it says that right beside the word 'heroic', which is mutually exclusive with 'epic' in DDO. If you were thinking of heroic elite, the abbreviation of that is HE. EH is epic hard.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #104 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
apep wrote on Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:55am:
I see that it says that right beside the word 'heroic', which is mutually exclusive with 'epic' in DDO. If you were thinking of heroic elite, the abbreviation of that is HE. EH is epic hard.

Yeah, you got me.  It's an error I actually make fairly often for some stupid reason.  I meant heroic elite, not epic...

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #105 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jun 22nd, 2016 at 6:45pm:
It's an error I actually make fairly often for some stupid reason.

Stupidity IS the reason.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #106 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 1:39am
Print Post  
[] wrote on Jun 22nd, 2016 at 6:46pm:
Stupidity IS the reason.

Yes, I believe I said exactly that.  Did you have something to contribute, or are you just getting all warm and jizz filled while rushing to agree with me?  It's ok, I know you have a hard time controlling yourself around your idols.  Go have a wank, you'll feel much better about yourself with a sticky hand and a sleepy mind.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #107 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 4:47am
Print Post  
oh look, that snippy comment guy was wrong on the internet- and snippy about it.

Frank wrote on Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:04am:
That's because you're changing the context.

if only you spent as much time knowing what the fuck you were saying as opposed to worrying about what anyone else is saying maybe youd have realized your mistake before placing the blame on other posters. very telling that you automatically default to "if theres a problem in this discussion, its not MY fault" instead of trying to actually determine what was occurring in the discussion. you opted to just assume your interpretation of the dialog was reality and with that stance in mind created the excuse for the confusion that best fit your "wasnt my fault" belief

well shit fella he be changin muh contexts

you should slow down. the internet has no mandatory minimum posting speed. if you want to participate in communication effectively, you should become more familiar with the various aspects of it.

What is Communication?
See also: Interpersonal Communication Skills

Communication is simply the act of transferring information from one place to another.

Although this is a simple definition, when we think about how we may communicate the subject becomes a lot more complex. There are various categories of communication and more than one may occur at any time.

The different categories of communication include:

• Spoken or Verbal Communication: face-to-face, telephone, radio or television and other media.
  • Non-Verbal Communication: body language, gestures, how we dress or act - even our scent.
  • Written Communication: letters, e-mails, books, magazines, the Internet or via other media.
  • Visualizations: graphs and charts, maps, logos and other visualizations can communicate messages.

The desired outcome or goal of any communication process is understanding.

The process of interpersonal communication cannot be regarded as a phenomena which simply 'happens', but should be seen as a process which involves participants negotiating their role in this process, whether consciously or unconsciously.

Senders and receivers are of course vital in communication. In face-to-face communication the roles of the sender and receiver are not distinct as both parties communicate with each other, even if in very subtle ways such as through eye-contact (or lack of) and general body language.

There are many other subtle ways that we communicate (perhaps even unintentionally) with others, for example the tone of our voice can give clues to our mood or emotional state, whilst hand signals or gestures can add to a spoken message.

In written communication the sender and receiver are more distinct. Until recent times, relatively few writers and publishers were very powerful when it came to communicating the written word. Today we can all write and publish our ideas online, which has led to an explosion of information and communication possibilities.

The Communication Process

A message or communication is sent by the sender through a communication channel to a receiver, or to multiple receivers.

The sender must encode the message (the information being conveyed) into a form that is appropriate to the communication channel, and the receiver(s) then decodes the message to understand its meaning and significance.

Misunderstanding can occur at any stage of the communication process.

Effective communication involves minimising potential misunderstanding and overcoming any barriers to communication at each stage in the communication process.

An effective communicator understands their audience, chooses an appropriate communication channel, hones their message to this channel and encodes the message to reduce misunderstanding by the receiver(s).

They will also seek out feedback from the receiver(s) as to how the message is understood and attempt to correct any misunderstanding or confusion as soon as possible.

Receivers can use techniques such as Clarification and Reflection as effective ways to ensure that the message sent has been understood correctly.

Communication Channels

Communication theory states that communication involves a sender and a receiver (or receivers) conveying information through a communication channel.

Communication Channels is the term given to the way in which we communicate. There are multiple communication channels available to us today, for example face-to-face conversations, telephone calls, text messages,  email, the Internet (including social media such as Facebook and Twitter), radio and TV, written letters, brochures and reports to name just a few.

Choosing an appropriate communication channel is vital for effective communication as each communication channel has different strengths and weaknesses.

For example, broadcasting news of an upcoming event via a written letter might convey the message clearly to one or two individuals but will not be a time or cost effective way to broadcast the message to a large number of people.  On the other hand, conveying complex, technical information is better done via a printed document than via a spoken message since the receiver is able to assimilate the information at their own pace and revisit items that they do not fully understand.

Written communication is also useful as a way of recording what has been said, for example taking minutes in a meeting.

Encoding Messages

All messages must be encoded into a form that can be conveyed by the communication channel chosen for the message.

We all do this every day when transferring abstract thoughts into spoken words or a written form. However, other communication channels require different forms of encoding, e.g. text written for a report will not work well if broadcast via a radio programme, and the short, abbreviated text used in text messages would be inappropriate if sent via a letter.

Complex data may be best communicated using a graph or chart or other visualisation.

Effective communicators encode their messages with their intended audience in mind as well as the communication channel. This involves an appropriate use of language, conveying the information simply and clearly, anticipating and eliminating likely causes of confusion and misunderstanding, and knowing the receivers’ experience in decoding other similar communications.  Successful encoding of messages is a vital skill in effective communication.

Decoding Messages

Once received, the receiver/s need to decode the message. Successful decoding is also a vital communication skill.

People will decode and understand messages in different ways based upon any Barriers to Communication which might be present, their experience and understanding of the context of the message, their psychological state, and the time and place of receipt as well as many other potential factors.

Understanding how the message will be decoded, and anticipating as many of the potential sources of misunderstanding as possible, is the art of a successful communicator.

Feedback

Receivers of messages are likely to provide feedback on how they have understood the messages through both verbal and non-verbal reactions.

Effective communicators pay close attention to this feedback as it the only way to assess whether the message has been understood as intended, and it allows any confusion to be corrected.

Bear in mind that the extent and form of feedback will vary according to the communication channel used: for example feedback during a face-to-face or telephone conversation will be immediate and direct, whilst feedback to messages conveyed via TV or radio will be indirect and may be delayed, or even conveyed through other media such as the Internet.

Your two errors occurred in the Encoding and Feedback stages. You failed to properly encode your concepts in a format that correctly expressed your intended message, by misidentifying heroic elite with the label of Epic Heroic, or EH. Then to further degrade the chain of communication, you failed to assess the feedback properly and were unable to determine the source of the confusion. I hope this information can help you in your future attempts at social exchanges.

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #108 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 1:39am:
or are you just getting all warm and jizz filled while rushing to agree with me?

that... that's how to flirt, right?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #109 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 5:57am:
that... that's how to flirt, right?

In the words of Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Highway, well, it sounds like you're a man of experience.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #110 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 22nd, 2016 at 10:17am:

+UMD helps a little early game. 3 ranger gives +6 to elemental resists which means no worrying about lowbie kobold shamans for a while.

With regard to levelling wizards, use the fucking spell selection mechanic built into the game, and stop playing like a sorc.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #111 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 8:12am:
With regard to levelling wizards, use the fucking spell selection mechanic built into the game, and stop playing like a sorc.

I can attest to that.  Playing a wizard like a sorc was my first life.  Played a sorc on 2nd life and it was mo betta.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #112 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 9:58am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 4:47am:
What is Communication?

Something you failed at because,  TL:DR

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #113 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 8:12am:
+UMD helps a little early game. 3 ranger gives +6 to elemental resists which means no worrying about lowbie kobold shamans for a while.

Yeah, but the 30 resist shrines from a guild boat is much easier and better.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #114 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
Something you failed at because,  TL:DR

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #115 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:26am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 10:40am:

I'm kind of surprised people are still using those, to be honest. I haven't had those on my ship in a couple of years. Nobody in my guild was using them (small guild, easy to ask 'Hey, are you using those?") because they didn't want to take the time to go to the ship's basement every hour and get each of those buffs individually. And since no one has asked for them back, I'm pretty sure nobody misses them.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #116 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:26am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 4:47am:
What is Communication?

It is not a proper noun.  So you don't capitalize it unless it is the first word in the sentence.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #117 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:37am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 10:40am:

They stack.

Re: Not using the guild shrines, there are people in my main guild who also laugh them off.  Even in epics I don't have a Draconic Soul Gem and that takes 25th level anyway.  I don't understand why people would refuse the shrines, but then I am constantly selling off any pots I pick up that are over the 100 stack limit, so I guess just drinking the pots might be a better way to go.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

apep
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #118 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:26am:
It is not a proper noun.  So you don't capitalize it unless it is the first word in the sentence.

Or if it's in a title or section heading. It can also be used for emphasis, in situations where bold or italic typefaces might not be usable or appropriate.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #119 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:58am
Print Post  
apep wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:48am:
Or if it's in a title or section heading. It can also be used for emphasis, in situations where bold or italic typefaces might not be usable or appropriate.

Ok Fran.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #120 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:20am:

Hmmm that would be a lie.

You obviously did care.  Otherwise you wouldn't have bothered replying.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #121 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Cheesy

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #122 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hmmm that would be a lie.

“It’s 2016 — what memes are you using?” That’s the question on everyone’s lips, from attractive babes to top taste-makers. Don’t have an answer yet? Don’t fret. Following has assembled several “starter packs” consisting of highly meme-worthy images to use when reacting to events in 2016 and placed them on Twitter at @ReactionPacks. See below for notes and explanations.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2015/12/heres-your-2016-reaction-image-starter-pack.h...

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #123 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 8:47am
Print Post  
nowAvaultie wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:26am:
I'm kind of surprised people are still using those, to be honest. I haven't had those on my ship in a couple of years. Nobody in my guild was using them (small guild, easy to ask 'Hey, are you using those?") because they didn't want to take the time to go to the ship's basement every hour and get each of those buffs individually. And since no one has asked for them back, I'm pretty sure nobody misses them.

for running heroic content they make it easier than all the heroic past lives people think they need to do be able to do Heroic Elite

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #124 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:26am:
So you don't capitalize it unless it is the first word in the sentence.

apep wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:48am:

This.

But it's okay that Frank nit-picked and was wrong, because he apparently cares about the rules of capitalization, and now embarrassment will help him remember!

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint