Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crystal Cove (Read 5814 times)
Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Crystal Cove
Jul 1st, 2016 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Apparently they're still turning that thing on occasionally. Like today.
Has anyone even visited it?

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Crystal Cove
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I've been seeing LFMs up for it, but I just can't bring myself to go grind up some compass to then wait for the quest to "open" so I can hammer out some crappy rewards and pathetic xp.

IP Logged

RemRemi
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
It's great, I was starting to see less lag and I was getting worried.  Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:27pm by RemRemi »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Be nice if they'd announce these things Tongue Still, will be good for the weekend, even if all I do is redeem some old matts I have, *ahem* lying around Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:16pm:
I've been seeing LFMs up for it, but I just can't bring myself to go grind up some compass to then wait for the quest to "open" so I can hammer out some crappy rewards and pathetic xp.

That's why I duped all those map pieces Tongue If it stays up long enough for me to get back in game, I'll probably run it for old time's sake. I admit I still have a fondness for the Cove. It kinda surprised me when it came on. Despite its bugs, it's still the best designed "challenge", Imo. Unfortunately most of the loot is hopelessly outdated. You can still get some good mileage out of the looking glass, ring, and gloves, if you're a TR junkie. And the glass cannon is still one of the top 3 or 4 rune arms (despite no longer having the "feature" it once had).

The trick is to learn how to solo. Makes it a challenge no matter how OP your toon is. With the added benefit of keeping you free of some stupid pugger fucking up the torches, or pulling aggro to the kobolds.

(Also, as it was with the old Mabar, you need to time your lag-spike. It comes when most of the pugs are finishing. In other words, if you enter 5 minutes after it opens, your lag will hit right about the same time shit is hitting the fan. But if you enter ~15 minutes after it opens, you won't have nearly as many problems. That still gives you at least a five-minute window for a second run, and that second run will be completely lag-free.)

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 3:10am
Print Post  
yeah, got surprised about it yesterday evening...

My answer when the other in party told me that it was actually one and asked if I wanted to do some run : nah, I've got lots of items ( at various tiers ) sitting on a mule toon... I don't need more cove items.  Then we moved on to have fun with Sorjek in TS.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 6:20pm:
That's why I duped all those map pieces Tongue If it stays up long enough for me to get back in game, I'll probably run it for old time's sake. I admit I still have a fondness for the Cove. It kinda surprised me when it came on. Despite its bugs, it's still the best designed "challenge", Imo. Unfortunately most of the loot is hopelessly outdated. You can still get some good mileage out of the looking glass, ring, and gloves, if you're a TR junkie. And the glass cannon is still one of the top 3 or 4 rune arms (despite no longer having the "feature" it once had).

The trick is to learn how to solo. Makes it a challenge no matter how OP your toon is. With the added benefit of keeping you free of some stupid pugger fucking up the torches, or pulling aggro to the kobolds.

(Also, as it was with the old Mabar, you need to time your lag-spike. It comes when most of the pugs are finishing. In other words, if you enter 5 minutes after it opens, your lag will hit right about the same time shit is hitting the fan. But if you enter ~15 minutes after it opens, you won't have nearly as many problems. That still gives you at least a five-minute window for a second run, and that second run will be completely lag-free.)

Yeah, all of this for me too. It's enough of a draw to get me to log in again, haven't done that in a while. Hopefully the lag isn't craptastic. And Cove is about the only thing I'll even consider PUGing these days.

The fact that it's still so popular despite not having been updated in forever should tell them something, but of course SeveredDick is too arrogant to listen.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Even though I "found" enough to never run out, I still run it at least once for shits and giggles to see if Dimension Door fun is back.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 11:36am:
Yeah, all of this for me too. It's enough of a draw to get me to log in again, haven't done that in a while. Hopefully the lag isn't craptastic. And Cove is about the only thing I'll even consider PUGing these days.

The fact that it's still so popular despite not having been updated in forever should tell them something, but of course SeveredDick is too arrogant to listen.

Imagine how much fun it'd be if they actually updated the loot to be relevant?

I "went to the trouble" of making 2 Epic Scimitars back in the day, and now I'm seriously debating throwing them out, even though they are among the few Lvl 20 scimitars in the game.

I still get some decent use from the Spyglass, Ring and Gloves. Occasionally the Epic Cavalry Plate, since I never did get the shard for Deneith Heavy Chain.

tl;dr- I haven't run it in ages, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 3:37pm:
Imagine how much fun it'd be if they actually updated the loot to be relevant?

Exactly. They spend their limited resources polishing turds, and all they end up with is glossy turds. If they started with Cove and spent a little time bringing the loot up to modern power level, they'd be so much better off than they are now.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 6:39pm:
If they started with Cove and spent a little time bringing the loot up to modern power level

"Inflation" is the standard for power level. If they spent a little time revising old loot to match, that is the only thing they'd ever do.
And it would be glorious, because at least then they'd stop fucking everything else up.

IP Logged

Rage
Waterworks Kobold

I Love boobies

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 5:30am
Print Post  
You underestimate their ability to mess up while revisiting old loot

*edit: I doubt they even have a clue what constitutes good loot. So they just throw +18 on an item and call it a day.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2016 at 5:31am by Rage »  

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 2nd, 2016 at 3:10am:
yeah, got surprised about it yesterday evening...

My answer when the other in party told me that it was actually one and asked if I wanted to do some run : nah, I've got lots of items ( at various tiers ) sitting on a mule toon... I don't need more cove items.  Then we moved on to have fun with Sorjek in TS.

I remember that raid as "Sorjek killed Flav".

Many times  Wink

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 6:20pm:
You can still get some good mileage out of the looking glass, ring,

What's good about the ring? Its just dex/underwater action/swim/protection/and an augment slot.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 5:01pm:
What's good about the ring? Its just dex/underwater action/swim/protection/and an augment slot.

Some items have "hidden" mods/powers associated with them.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
The cove is stale AF for most end gamers.  I'm sure there are newer/more casual players who appreciate it though.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Of course the casuals can't grind it as fast because so few people are running it Tongue Cov os too friggin grindy, you know?

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 8:04pm:
The cove is stale AF for most end gamers. 

Incorrect: DDO "end game" is defined by LFM surfing, talking about what you're sipping/smoking/snorting, loling noobs, helping cluless people, joining suicide missions, or farming some gay shit that improves your stats by a single fucking point even though it requires endless runs.  Basically, you're crowd hopping in a very diverse highschool/frat pary where there are more cliques off by themselves than you can imagine.  That's "end game" defined.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 5:13am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 8:04pm:
The cove is stale AF for most end gamers.  I'm sure there are newer/more casual players who appreciate it though. 

Cove is ok.  I enjoy Challenges, which is pretty much all Cove is but just not on all the time.  The Cannith Challenges offer just as good or better gear in some cases, and yet for some reason it's fairly difficult to find a group willing to run Challenges.  Except Eveningstar Challenges, those bring a nice load of XP so you'll not have issues finding people to run them, once.

Most of the Cove gear is outdated by either new random loot or dungeon drops.  The ones with some life left in them are:
1) Glass Cannon - Only for the double dipping of rune arm imbues
2) Swashbuckler - For Guardbreaking.  Just as good as deception for CC.  Mobs that are dazed don't cast on you, and have their attacks interrupted.  Kinda limited to Swashbuckler builds though since it's a buckler.  Despite the nice CC you'll be swapping it in and out on any class that can use a large or tower shield, and that can be annoying.
3) Cavalry Plate - Has some dual build usage.  Full plate builds can use it until 12th level for the decent Lifeshield, False Life, and Resistance.  After that it's picks up Mithril and is only good for medium armor wearers because Turbine broke mithril armors by making them not just lighter in weight but actually counting as lighter armor.  So you're fucked for PRR while wearing medium armor if you have the heavy armor feat.  The level 16+ versions are still a decent option for a Barb until the demonweb armors become available.
4) Duelist's Leathers - Decent for the high dex bonus granted by the free Mobility feat and Superior Nimbleness.  I often find my rogues bumping up against the max dex bonus of their armor.  The thing is, I play Mechanics, so I really don't care much about AC.  So good for some builds I guess.
5) Treasure Hunter's Spyglass - Decent from 16+ for Spot, Search, UMD, and True Seeing.  Before that Cannith Crafting can make fairly good swap gear for rogues.  Has some Insight Intelligence, good for a Mechanic.  If you invest the grind into a tier 3 level 20 or 24 you get a green aug slot which I park The Master's Gift in and call it a day.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint