Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Bravery Bonus (Read 14318 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: Bravery Bonus
Reply #25 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 11:00pm:
I'm glad he had picked up enough to even know that he could do that from inside the dungeon.

I hope you also told him that he wouldn't lose the hour and a half he'd already invested as long as he could get back into the dungeon within 5 minutes.

I hope you also had a good chuckle about his having spent 90 minutes in a dungeon and still not having finished it.  Was he aware of the wiki?  I understand that fumbling around for clues can be a pain in an unfamiliar dungeon, but not a 90 minute pain.  What got me past that hump was learning to lean on the 'q' key so I'd see all the levers, buttons, doors, etc.  And the wiki.

I don't remember all of the details, it was a couple of months ago, but it was a mid level quest and he had a decent command of game rules and options. He had just hit some bad luck. I couldn't even get a laugh out of it, it was just sad that this guy wanted people to run with and everybody was out of his league. He was a nice guy and competent but inexperienced and a bit shy.  It was the most visceral reminder I've had lately of how damaging power creep is.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 9:43am
Print Post  
apep wrote on Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:29am:
Were you using a hireling or had you invited someone to party before re-entering? Breaking or forming a party would cause it to ignore the 5 minute timer. A hireling getting dismissed when you release would probably count.

It was long enough ago that I don't remember.  I know I was solo, so I probably had a hire and an owlbear since it was an epic run.  Before they fixed the HP of the brothers I'd park the hires at the first one, whittle it down, then run to the second one and kill it while they finished it off.  The owlbears have great HP, PRR, and a taunt that will let you leave the room w/o pulling the first brother away to despawn.

But I almost always run with a hire when I'm solo, and I've used the 'release/rebuff/re-enter' option several times.  That GoP run was the only time I wasn't able to re-enter.  I haven't done that in quite a while though, so maybe they did a stealth change on how that works.  Or they just managed to break it without even knowing, which they do with a fairly high amount of regularity.  And then rely on their players to inform them about what they broke.  And then ignore it for years or forever.  See: CC Vampirism for just one example.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

LordHumungus
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
apep wrote on Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:29am:
Were you using a hireling or had you invited someone to party before re-entering? Breaking or forming a party would cause it to ignore the 5 minute timer. A hireling getting dismissed when you release would probably count.

In my case, it was completely solo on a dwarf barb.

IP Logged

^_^
Dirty Sock

KNN's Bitch

Reply #28 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:49am:
I don't remember all of the details, it was a couple of months ago, but it was a mid level quest and he had a decent command of game rules and options. He had just hit some bad luck. I couldn't even get a laugh out of it, it was just sad that this guy wanted people to run with and everybody was out of his league. He was a nice guy and competent but inexperienced and a bit shy.  It was the most visceral reminder I've had lately of how damaging power creep is.

Nigger...rlly?!  Undecided

[] wrote on Jan 14th, 2016 at 2:59pm:
He seems to be performing at his optimal, though limited, level of intelligence.  It's Reilley that we need to be nice to.  That guys one more troll victimization away from putting his head in the oven.

Darth Anonymous wrote on Dec 17th, 2015 at 5:35pm:
We should deport all the SW fangirls over the age of 12 (except for grand he is special) and build a wall to keep them from coming back.

Darth Anonymous wrote on Dec 17th, 2015 at 5:55pm:
Will build it out of pussy. That is one thing those fanboys can never get a hold of.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #29 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 10:56am
Print Post  
This is the logical end result for a game filled with vets and TRs that can't attract new players and with little end game.  it isn't a "Bravery Bonus" problem or a "players don't want to group up and pug" problem.  This is an "every decision Turbine has made for the last five years" problem.

What's really wrong with morons on the motherboards is that they keep migrating back and forth over the same tired things rather than taking a cold, hard look at the game we all playing and saying "you know what?  This game might be shit and maybe I'm just tired of playing it but don't want to stop because I've sunk too much time and money into it."

- Zorro

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #30 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Jul 13th, 2016 at 10:56am:
This is the logical end result for a game filled with vets and TRs that can't attract new players and with little end game.  it isn't a "Bravery Bonus" problem or a "players don't want to group up and pug" problem.  This is an "every decision Turbine has made for the last five years" problem.

What's really wrong with morons on the motherboards is that they keep migrating back and forth over the same tired things rather than taking a cold, hard look at the game we all playing and saying "you know what?  This game might be shit and maybe I'm just tired of playing it but don't want to stop because I've sunk too much time and money into it."

This.  Turbine incentivized higher difficulties beyond just the bravery bonus.  Simply removing it won’t magically fix the “problem”.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #31 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 11:09pm:
I've campaigned for Max Favour to be moved to Hard many times.

But you're literally retarded.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #32 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 2:09pm
Print Post  

Cry
Sadly, you're right, except maybe that it can't keep new players, as opposed to can't attract them.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #33 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 2:26pm
Print Post  

I'll agree with this.

One of the issues I'd found even when I started playing is that DDO lacks "Zazz" right out of the gate.

This is a concept every person selling entertainment should understand. Except Turbine, apparently.

There's a reason Las Vegas is a seizure-inducing maelstrom of lights.

Bling sells.

Korthos is small, ugly and boring as fuck.

Every toon starts WAY underpowered, and it's a grind right out of the gate. Practically nobody is gonna tough that shit out.

And if they don't tough it out and skip the Korthos story line they're even MORE hopelessly under-powered and under-equipped when they hit the Harbor (which is slightly better, but still boring).

Now, if you started all the newbs in say... Eveningstar (or something similar) watch and see how much better the player retention would be.

Hell, even the super-old "run the gauntlet to Stormreach" had more appeal. At least as a story.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression" is why DDO isn't attracting and retaining new players.

That, and like Mersault said, the toxic Power Creep.

I only stuck with it (after failing miserably trying to run a Stalwart Defender right out of the gate) because I'm perverse and contrary.

Other people aren't, and won't.

tl;dr- Korthos needs a make-over or DDO needs a new starting area.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #34 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Since the quest already rewards players for increased difficulty with xp and loot, why not change bb to reward not dying. That would encourage easier difficulties and possibly grouping.

IP Logged

TornadoJoe
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
[quote author=6D46484B464C445D464C47485A562F0 link=1468334155/34#34 date=1468436135]Since the quest already rewards players for increased difficulty with xp and loot, why not change bb to reward not dying. That would encourage easier difficulties and possibly grouping.[/quote]
If you can't run 98% of the content on Elite or Epic Elite without dying, you're doing something wrong. Even when I first started playing, never play table top and knew nothing about how to play a , on a computer I rarely had issues until I got to 20 and ran Epic content when cap was 20. As we remember content back then was much tougher than it is now before epic destinies and anything higher than +6 items, with a rare +7 epic item, and tomes that only went up to +3.

Get out of here with that shit.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #36 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
They should also bring back the XP penalty system. Gods i loved to be stuck at a level forever and needing to redo quests to catch up.

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

LordHumungus
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
How can they keep new players when they get stuck at the bugged out grotto with Jeets and Co. all staring at a wall and unable to complete. That will tell a new player all they need to know about the game.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jul 13th, 2016 at 2:26pm:
tl;dr- Korthos needs a make-over or DDO needs a new starting area.

The in-game advice on character power levels hasn't changed since the game launched.  This is one of Turbine's largest failings, amongst the many others:  They don't have the project management skills needed to make a change and also update all the things that change impacts.  When they run a class pass, that class should have its effectiveness level modified up in the character creation screen.  And/or classes that have been left fallow for years and years should have their effectiveness level modified down in the character creation screen.

Than you'd have fewer noobs (like me, when I started) being told that Clerics are strong soloers (according to the character creation advice) and picking a class that is well and below the effective solo capability of every single class that has had their class pass.

When the game starts out lying to you right from the beginning (and continues with a vengeance) it's no wonder they have a hard time keeping new players.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #39 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:06pm:
The in-game advice on character power levels hasn't changed since the game launched.  This is one of Turbine's largest failings, amongst the many others:  They don't have the project management skills needed to make a change and also update all the things that change impacts.  When they run a class pass, that class should have its effectiveness level modified up in the character creation screen.  And/or classes that have been left fallow for years and years should have their effectiveness level modified down in the character creation screen.

Speaking of which, I'm sure the devs don't even know there's a class-based amount of dungeon difficulty scaling.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:06pm:
This is one of Turbine's largest failings, amongst the many others:  They don't have the project management skills needed to make a change and also update all the things that change impacts.

An excellent and recent example of this is their post on the upcoming changes to CC.

It's a very long, detailed post with a lot of lists and explanations.  But it is at 17 pages and counting mostly because of the things which were left out.

Impact to Cannith Challenge gear and Runearms;
Interaction with trapmaking since small essences are going away (no response on that, make your traps now because trapmaking will probably be broken for the next 6 months after NewCC goes live);
Gah, the list goes on and on, I'm not going to belabor the point.

That point being that a competent project manager would have made a list of every possible intersection in the game with Cannith Crafting and Lesser/Greater Essences, and would have been asking the devs at every status meeting for an update on all those actions.  Then, once the action to be taken is decided, a post can be made in the forums which will explain all w/o the need for 17 pages of questions and confusion.

I'll discount them a few pages due to the utter, stunning idiocy of some of the people who have posted in the thread, but the real issue here is that they made an informational post and didn't include all the information.  That just a big FAIL.  I've seen players make more detailed and comprehensive posts on some build they have thought up, which required only a few questions and clarifications or edits.

To be fair, NoWorries, whoever that is (World Designer?) has been fairly responsive in the thread.  But what she (someone in the thread used that pronoun so I'll go with it) hasn't done is update the OP with the new information she has provided, meaning that all new people who stumble across the thread will probably have the same questions about the things which were left out, poorly explained or not explained, etc.  Because most people will just post a question rather than read 17 pages of drivel.  Updating the OP would solve that, and it wouldn't take her much time to do so.

Nor would getting it right in the first place.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #41 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 7:15am
Print Post  
The ONLY thing that will bring in new players is marketing that highlights the unique combat and movement in-game.

Not a single other game I have seen played or played myself whether MMO, tablet, single-player PC, FPS, or console even comes close to the action that you get from DDO (all issues aside, fucking caveats)

Which is pretty amazing considering how far tech has advanced in the past 10 years. 

I would do other RL things that I enjoy if DDO servers shut down instead of playing any other slow ass derpy game.

Bravery Bonus is a Turbine apology to players and doesn't encourage or discourage group play for me. 

That whole thread is just typical meh rhetoric as is the custom.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #42 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Now that you can pause BB, I don't get why this is even a thing.  BB isn't the problem.  The gap between vet/experienced players and new players is the issue.

Even if there was no BB, the gaming experience is too different for the vet/experienced player and the new player.  It's almost like they aren't playing the same game.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:16pm:
Speaking of which, I'm sure the devs don't even know there's a class-based amount of dungeon difficulty scaling.

I don't know if the devs don't know this.  But I don't.  Source?

Asheras wrote on Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:24am:
Now that you can pause BB, I don't get why this is even a thing.  BB isn't the problem.

Pausing BB is still contributing to the 'a thing' because of the lousy way they implemented it.  Having to go to your airship or wherever to pause it makes it inconvenient.  Which makes people not want to do it.  Which makes people less likely to join a group when they have to jump through those hoops to keep their BB going.

I'll freely admit to not knowing all the mechanics behind BB.  How many runs does it take to get to the max bonus?  That seems to be 50%.  I can run nothing but at-level HE after a TR and still have my Hard and Elite BB streak counts sit at widely different numbers, which perplexes the hell out of me.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #44 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:46am
Print Post  
And that's the world of MMO's, new players will suck balls against vets ...... how is that not a recognised thing, jesus.

And popping onto a ship is inconvenient? Fucking hell, come on.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:47am by Jelly_Muffin »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #45 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:44am:

Pausing BB is still contributing to the 'a thing' because of the lousy way they implemented it.  Having to go to your airship or wherever to pause it makes it inconvenient.  Which makes people not want to do it.  Which makes people less likely to join a group when they have to jump through those hoops to keep their BB going.

I'll freely admit to not knowing all the mechanics behind BB.  How many runs does it take to get to the max bonus?  That seems to be 50%.  I can run nothing but at-level HE after a TR and still have my Hard and Elite BB streak counts sit at widely different numbers, which perplexes the hell out of me.

Honestly, the reason I don't run normal with new players when TRing is not because of my BB streak.  It takes 4 quests to get a BB streak back to where it was.  There is plenty of XP in the game.  You don't miss that much by breaking streak.  Or taking the extra 60 seconds to go to the  hall of heroes or your airship to pause the streak.  (Although, I agree that being able to pause it on the Quest Entrance UI would be better).

The real problem is that I don't want to lose XP and run a ridiculously easy quest and take 3 times as long to do it as a normally would and be in teaching/helping mode the whole time.  I kinda just want to get stuff done.  Now, sometimes I do feel like doing all that stuff.  And that's when I join random LFM's or throw up an LFM and take whoever.  When it's my LFM, I run elite, but since I am LFM'ing I have decided I'm in the mood to chat, answer questions, go slower if need be, and be helpful if anyone gets lost, dies, or just needs assistance.  I'm not in that mood all the time.  All players have varying levels to which they are.  Some are always in that mood.  Some are never in that mood.  But that mood is the issue, not the BB.  There is nothing you can do to incentivize that mood through game mechanics. 

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 11:00am
Print Post  
They should do away with bravery bonuses and just add that much xp to every 1st time Hard/Elite Quest for everyone.  Done.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 14th, 2016 at 10:04am:
Or taking the extra 60 seconds to go to the  hall of heroes or your airship to pause the streak.  (Although, I agree that being able to pause it on the Quest Entrance UI would be better).

Yes, please put it on the Quest UI.  Would make so much more sense.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 11:37am
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Jul 14th, 2016 at 11:01am:
Yes, please put it on the Quest UI.  Would make so much more sense.

I wish they do this, too. I don't turn it off because I forget that it's off and then never turn it back on.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

apep
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:44am:

The U0 release notes say that dungeon scaling is affected by size and make-up of your party.
The U0 patch 2 release notes mention that the scaling for monks had been decreased.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint