Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) New CC and low-end heroics? (Read 14560 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: New CC and low-end heroics?
Reply #25 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 3:23pm:
but Eberron Dragonshards drop often enough

I find maybe 1 every 2 lives. And I am the guy who obsessively hits every single collectible. I once went so long without finding one that I posted here asking if they even still existed, assuming they'd been taken out of the game. The drop rate is so bad that tomes are more widely available than Eberron dragonshards.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #26 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Getting +low ability tomes happens much more often on my lives than any size eberron shards.  You get the +2 for favour every life without much hassle, what 9 PEDs per life.  At least once you don't need the +2 any more.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #27 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 6:47pm:
That's about what I was assuming, but nobody seems to be posting lvl 7 gear, and unfortunately I hear llama's down now.

Because the Effect Shards cost a lot of Collectables and because once created, they can be placed on a ML1 or ML30 item with the appropriate leveled bonus... creating low level gear is strongly disincentivized.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #28 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 4:56pm:
Because the Effect Shards cost a lot of Collectables and because once created, they can be placed on a ML1 or ML30 item with the appropriate leveled bonus... creating low level gear is strongly disincentivized.

Actually if you read through the rest of this thread you'd notice that, by and large, low-level items are getting a nice boost.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #29 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 4:56pm:

+1

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #30 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 5:54pm:
Actually if you read through the rest of this thread you'd notice that, by and large, low-level items are getting a nice boost.

It's not about the quality of the loot, it's about the quantity of collectables. Here's to hoping they replace gem drops with collectables

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #31 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 6:51pm:
It's not about the quality of the loot, it's about the quantity of collectables. Here's to hoping they replace gem drops with collectables

The quantity is really not that bad, especially on the lower-end of the things. Yeah, if you are totally new to CC crafting and also NEVER picked up collectibles before now, itll seem like a lot. But really aside from horrendous numbers of very hard to find PEDs the collectables costs are pretty minor.

What we ARE going to see, however, is exactly what we had with the greater/lesser essences on the oldstyle system, wherein you will have 30,000 essences lying around but be constantly hungry for collectibles(on current CC its tens of thousands of lessers and never enough greaters).

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #32 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
They added Skill Tomes to the PED trade-ins.  So, now the Three Barrel and Gianthold sagas can generate PEDs.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #33 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:23pm:
They added Skill Tomes to the PED trade-ins.  So, now the Three Barrel and Gianthold sagas can generate PEDs.

You can get skill tomes out of all the sagas, can't you?

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #34 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:41pm:
You can get skill tomes out of all the sagas, can't you?

Yes, but the conversation here seemed to be about options in heroic levels.  Anyone who plays epics and complains about PED access is a fucking tard!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #35 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:45pm:
Yes, but the conversation here seemed to be about options in heroic levels.  Anyone who plays epics and complains about PED access is a fucking tard!

Gotcha.  I thought the discussion was about what items you can make that work well in heroic levels, not what items can be farmed in heroics.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #36 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:02pm:
the collectables costs are pretty minor

You're saying this as if you already know the drop rate of the butt-ton of new collectables.

noamineo wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:02pm:
you will have 30,000 essences lying around but be constantly hungry for collectibles(on current CC its tens of thousands of lessers and never enough greaters).

Oh. Carry on.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #37 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 3:33pm:
20 tokens are fine when you get over 20 and can run EN DA, but that's years into the game for many people. Both 20 tokens and 5 PEDs are more than I'd gift to a random noob, but said noob could reasonably get the CC version for himself by the time it was needed on his first life. It would take a bit of luck, but it's not like winning lotto twice back to back like some Turbine probabilities are.

It would likely take said first-lifer just as long to farm enough essences to level up their crafting skill and the ingredients to craft that item as it would for them to just say to hell with it and ignore crafting, make a few more levels and acquire a piece of gear that has heavy fort on it already. 

The conversation in this thread seems to be more about non-first lifers who have access to a reasonable amount of resources.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 5:54pm:

That may be true, but the point here is that making a shard is now going to be the same 'price' in collectables and PEDs, regardless of whether you park it on a ML1 item or a ML30 item.  Whereas in the current CC the 'price' went up as you made a higher level shard.

Only the ML shard cost goes up as you advance in levels in NewCC, and they only cost essences, not hard to find collectables.

So if you're not running the high level content to find the newly required and therefore non-trivial collectables, you simply can't craft the new shards, even to make items for your low level characters.  That will change over time as people who want to craft realize that they have to go to epics for the collectables to make certain shards, but it is a situation that simply does not exist in the current CC.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #39 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
I've not seen the specific shard requirements published so I don't know how big a deal it is to farm in epics/FR vs farming in ebberon at low vs high levels. 

There is a lot we still don't know.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:31pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

slowertraffic
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 12:11pm:
What's the cost of 33% insightful fort? That sounds like it would be out of reach of most people in need of ML 7 gear ... I mean, you can buy the ingredients with the astral shards you pull from chests, but that doesn't make it a practical solution. Is adding insightful comparable to crafting heavy to begin with?

And the 3rd effect isn't an improvement because heavy only to 1 slot so both leave you with 1 slot free.

ins. fort currently  costs 5 Purifieds whereas Heavy Fort currently costs 1 Purified.  So either are pretty much out of range of a first-life lvl 7 character but the ins. fort is further out of reach.  That is a consideration for each player.

At level 7, with the current system, the potential on the item is completely used up with Heavy Fort.  So no second effect is possible without raising the min level.  At level 7, with the new system, another effect could be added.  Also, if you are making armor/shield (and I think fort can only go on armor/shield in the new system) you will probably be able to add an enhancement bonus (+2 at lvl 7? we don't know yet).  In the current system you would again have to raise the min level to add the enhancement bonus. 

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #41 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 10:36am
Print Post  
slowertraffic wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:42am:
you will probably be able to add an enhancement bonus

The enhancement bonus (and wpn multiplier, if any), comes automatically with the min level shard.

Edited:
Fuckedup chart is fucked up

ML
1-2:    +1
3-5:    +2
6-9:    +3
10-13: +4
14-17: +5
18-24: +6
25-26: +7
27:      +8
28:      +10
29:      +11
30-32: +12
33-34: +13

ML 10 = 1.5[wpn]
ML 20 = 2[wpn]
ML 24 = 3[wpn]
ML 28 = 4[wpn]
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2016 at 3:20pm by Revaulting »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #42 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 3:33pm:
20 tokens are fine when you get over 20 and can run EN DA, but that's years into the game for many people.

Years...as in more than 1?

No...not even back when I started would I say it took "many" people that long. Even at 4.3 million to cap, no BB, non-resetting repetition penalties, etc.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #43 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 9:29pm:
You're saying this as if you already know the drop rate of the butt-ton of new collectables.

Oh. Carry on.

Yep. But based on turbine's track record lately, I'm willing to bet the drop rates on most collectables will be pretty high. The gateway to the entire thing is going to be PEDs. The Only Ingredient That Matters(TM).

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #44 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 11:37am:
based on turbine's track record lately, I'm willing to bet the drop rates on most collectables will be pretty high. The gateway to the entire thing is going to be PEDs.

I still remember the ingredient for Greater Halfling Bane was originally to be a Chattering Ring, and that it required a riot for the devs to make changes to their baby.

I'm not convinced that drop rates for any required collectibles have been scrutinized by anyone that plays the game.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 12:16pm:
I still remember the ingredient for Greater Halfling Bane was originally to be a Chattering Ring, and that it required a riot for the devs to make changes to their baby.

I'm not convinced that drop rates for any required collectibles have been scrutinized by anyone that plays the game.

This is potentially very true. Yeah giving up such an absurdly rare ring for "greater halfling bane" would have been rock-fucking-stupid.

I'm also pretty sure some shards in the old CC were litterally never crafted because you could not find the ingredients. Elemental Slaying Arrows were the bane of my existense. In the entire time I was CC crafting I managed to find a grand total of 1 stack.

The new collectibles will probably be scattered around like crazy because the devs want everyone to see what new things they did. Its the old, intensly rare ones that concern me, like Fragrant Drowshoods and Lightning Split Sorewoods. Those things are already rare as shit.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 11:37am:
Yep. But based on turbine's track record lately, I'm willing to bet the drop rates on most collectables will be pretty high. The gateway to the entire thing is going to be PEDs. The Only Ingredient That Matters(TM).

Ok, let's examine this statement...

PEDs are something which anyone playing for over a year or so at epic levels either already has, and/or already has the things that can be converted into them.  Skill and stat tomes, Tot12, etc.

Regardless of drop rates on the new collectables, which Turbine has a poor track record with having drop in even amounts already (see: Lightning Split Soarwood), no one has any of them.

So at least initially the choke point is going to be the new collectables.  It just is, and protestations that it will be PEDs are just stupid.

Over time the choke point might transition to PEDs.  My money is that it remains the new collectables, if only for the fact that you can still pick up skill and stat tomes while running heroics, and you can't pick up collectables that only drop in epics while running heroics.  So any time spent running an alt in heroics can still contribute to your PED stores, but it can't contribute to your epic collectable stores.

But bottom line:  There's going to be a choke point right from the  start, and there will always be a choke point.  Because intelligent game design is hard.

Turbine can't even be bothered to weight NRL effects so that they aren't completely skewed in representation and even drop impossible and utterly useless combinations such as ranged items with 'on melee hit' effects and handwraps with doubleshot, and you really think they'll manage to make a bunch of new and required collectables drop in an evenly represented fashion?  "Based on turbine's track record lately?"  That's just about at lately as it gets, and it's completely fucked up.  Your positive attitude is commendable, if completely blind to Turbine history.

If Turbine wanted to do the right thing to support the NewCC system, they would introduce the new collectables with an initial drop rate on their list of options that was initially weighted at ~10x all the rest of the items on the list which already exist.  And then in a few months time they could set the list back to an even weight for all of the items, new and old.  But we all know that this is not going to happen.  Because intelligent game design is hard.

Instead, and at best, you'll be able to buy the new collectables in the DDO Store.  You know, just like LGS mats.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:11pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #47 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:06pm:
Ok, let's examine this statement...

PEDs are something which anyone playing for over a year or so at epic levels either already has, and/or already has the things that can be converted into them.  Skill and stat tomes, Tot12, etc.

Regardless of drop rates on the new collectables, which Turbine has a poor track record with having drop in even amounts already (see: Lightning Split Soarwood), no one has any of them.

So at least initially the choke point is going to be the new collectables.  It just is, and protestations that it will be PEDs are just stupid.

Over time the choke point might transition to PEDs.  My money is that it remains the new collectables, if only for the fact that you can still pick up skill and stat tomes while running heroics, and you can't pick up collectables that only drop in epics while running heroics.  So any time spent running an alt in heroics can still contribute to your PED stores, but it can't contribute to your epic collectable stores.

But bottom line:  There's going to be a choke point right from the  start, and there will always be a choke point.  Because intelligent game design is hard.

Turbine can't even be bothered to weight NRL effects so that they aren't completely skewed in representation and even drop impossible and utterly useless combinations such as ranged items with 'on melee hit' effects and handwraps with doubleshot, and you really think they'll manage to make a bunch of new and required collectables drop in an evenly represented fashion?  "Based on turbine's track record lately?"  That's just about at lately as it gets, and it's completely fucked up.  Your positive attitude is commendable, if completely blind to Turbine history.

If Turbine wanted to do the right thing to support the NewCC system, they would introduce the new collectables with an initial drop rate on their list of options that was initially weighted at ~10x all the rest of the items on the list which already exist.  And then in a few months time they could set the list back to an even weight for all of the items, new and old.  But we all know that this is not going to happen.  Because intelligent game design is hard.

Instead, and at best, you'll be able to buy the new collectables in the DDO Store.  You know, just like LGS mats.

It seems like collectibles will be the issue.  Especially the new ones.  At least with PED's you know where to get them.  Run sagas for skill tomes.  Run DA for Tokens.  You can plan your grind.  With collectibles, unless it changes dramatically, you are in an infinite grind, since the drops are so random.  You can control some of them, but a lot of them, it's a crap shoot.

You also need collectibles for every item.  The PED's only show up on insightfuls and such.  So, there is a more limited impact.

Essences seem to be the least of your worries.  You are getting some of them every time you loot a chest. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #48 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:06pm:

Yes, anyone who's been playing a while has or can easily get a few dozen PEDs. Personally, if I converted everything I have stockpiled over several years, I could probably have about 150.

That won't help much since the new system will required THOUSANDS of the damn things to grind out the needed XP.

This is the part every moron and asswipe screaming "But I know where to get them!" is missing: you won't be able to get ENOUGH if you combine all of those ways. Yeah, once you f9inish leveling you can grind out 5 or 6 in an afternoon. That won't help you when you need 3,000-4,000.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #49 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:42pm:
With collectibles, unless it changes dramatically, you are in an infinite grind, since the drops are so random.  You can control some of them, but a lot of them, it's a crap shoot.

It won't. They have their hearts set on spreading the new collectables around Forgotten Realms at fucking random.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint