Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kobold as a pc race or is the community racist? (Read 7137 times)
karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Kobold as a pc race or is the community racist?
Aug 18th, 2016 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
So apparently after virtually the entire ten years of it being asked for kobold as a race might be on the horizon. However its also spawned a flurry of hatred from some of the regular lurkers who state blatantly ignorant views as facts and state that they would ban and blacklist players of such a race.

Some of the ignorant ideas I've seen mentioned include saying kobolds are an evil race. Clearly not aware of eberoni being at its foundation a setting with rather contrary cultural backgrounds for races like kobold orc and drow.

Not to mention clearly not having ever played the much beloved by d&d players classic never winter nights which introduced a certain kobold bard red dragon disciple who became on the forums the most popular hench man option for his adorable and amusing doom doom doom melody.

Its also interestingly enough triggering rants about how wanting to play evil races or indulge in the fantasy of being evil as practically making one guilty of something or being desirous of actually doing evil things.

Looney Vish  even went so far as to bring up in classic and typical bad taste kobold players wanting to bring assault rifles to movie theaters like that makes any sense.

Its funny how racially and ethically charged the DDO community seems to be. Its almost like they fit the oft given label to them of xenophobic and toxic when it comes to anything that conflicts with their emotionally charged and very flawed by ignorance ideas of what should and shouldn't be allowed.

Elitism in games I can get and even approve to some extent if the game isn't meant to be played casually. But virtual racism I've never seen or heard the like even on wow where races and their lore based prejudice is part of what defines the sides in PvP. Hell most wowtards play alliance and horde just to explore the different starting areas.

Is it possible something about DDO appeals to such a clearly disturbed individual as someone who would bring racial prejudice to the realm of the net where one is suppose to be able to transcend the physical for the virtual?

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: Kobold as a pc race or is the community racist?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
karavek wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 10:29pm:
So apparently after virtually the entire ten years of it being asked for kobold as a race might be on the horizon. However its also spawned a flurry of hatred from some of the regular lurkers who state blatantly ignorant views as facts and state that they would ban and blacklist players of such a race.

You spend too much time worrying about things that just don't matter.

No one who, these days, actually posts LFMs is going to care what fantasy race a person is playing.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:14pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I'm not interested playing a kobold.   I hope the don't ever make them a pc race because I can think of a dozen I'd rather have.   That said, id get the pl if it was worthwhile and I wouldn't exclude them from a group.   

I don't like gnomes halflings or dwarves, either.  Outside of getting a deep gnome pl you won't see me ever play one.  But all are welcome in any lfm I throw up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 2:59am
Print Post  
Kobold need a vacation !!!

seriously, such a wall of text about some potential race...

Karavek, you need to learn to make shorter posts. This is The Vault, not the mobo.

Last, they should do Kalashtars and Shifters, they are player character races in Eberron, instead of going Planar ( thiefling/Aasimar ) or monster ( kobold ).

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

merciless
Dragon Raider

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:15pm:
I'm not interested playing a kobold.   I hope the don't ever make them a pc race because I can think of a dozen I'd rather have.   That said, id get the pl if it was worthwhile and I wouldn't exclude them from a group.   

I don't like gnomes halflings or dwarves, either.  Outside of getting a deep gnome pl you won't see me ever play one.  But all are welcome in any lfm I throw up.   

Ditto
Having said that I'm playing my first ever dwarf life because I wanted a barb pl and decided to try a Terror dwarf...lvl 6 so far and althugh theres no problem with the build I can't wait to be rid of the chubby little fecker

Some are insane, and the're in charge.

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 3:35am
Print Post  
It won't happpen. I've seen to it.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 2:59am:
Kobold need a vacation !!!

Karavek, you need to learn to make shorter posts. This is The Vault, not the mobo.

Last, they should do Kalashtars and Shifters, they are player character races in Eberron, instead of going Planar ( thiefling/Aasimar ) or monster ( kobold ).

kalashtar and shifters would imho need lot more system work than kobold. Kalashtar would need psionics introdused and shifter all those shapeshifting things (some of which would be quite imbalancing)

kobold on the eother hand would require just some handiwork on armors - to adapt existing ones (tho some models are done already), some animations and such - so quite less work for system design team

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 2:59am:

I can't wait to play a Kobold Wall of Text Fighter! If you pick it at creation you unlock an infinite AP sploit, because it goes on and on and on and on and on.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:41am:
kalashtar and shifters would imho need lot more system work than kobold. Kalashtar would need psionics introdused and shifter all those shapeshifting things (some of which would be quite imbalancing)

I agree for the Kalashtars, though, it's just lots of copy/paste/rename from Arcane and Divine to add Psions.

On the other hand, for the Shifters, we already have the Druid Shapeshifting, you just need to add 2/3 more forms and be done with it. ( 2 wolf, 2 bear, kitty, big kitty, ... )
It's not possible to make them exactly as they are described in PnP anyway, so they will have to have restricted shapeshifting. ( like Druid shapeshifting is restricted compared to PnP Druids )

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:41am:

Now why would you say that?  After all, this is Turbine.  They managed to introduce an illusion focused race and iconic version without creating a single new illusion spell.  So why would Kalashtar require psionics?  They could just re-name magic missile 'psychic thrust' and let it go at that.  Enjoy your new shiradi psionic race, only 1995 in the DDO Store!

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 6:44am:
I agree for the Kalashtars, though, it's just lots of copy/paste/rename from Arcane and Divine to add Psions.

On the other hand, for the Shifters, we already have the Druid Shapeshifting, you just need to add 2/3 more forms and be done with it. ( 2 wolf, 2 bear, kitty, big kitty, ... )
It's not possible to make them exactly as they are described in PnP anyway, so they will have to have restricted shapeshifting. ( like Druid shapeshifting is restricted compared to PnP Druids )

yeah, if tbine could find some fine way how to adapt shifters for existing system, it would be welcomed addition for me and could be appealing for the crowd looking for more bestial looking characters (not bestial looking in horc and pdk way:)) Imho the girl responsible for gnomes visual did good job - so it could be real fine.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 7:58am:
Now why would you say that?  After all, this is Turbine.  They managed to introduce an illusion focused race and iconic version without creating a single new illusion spell.  So why would Kalashtar require psionics?  They could just re-name magic missile 'psychic thrust' and let it go at that.  Enjoy your new shiradi psionic race, only 1995 in the DDO Store!

oh, please amaze me - what illusionist spells would u add? There are not many whose arent based on interpretation.

Only ones useful that come into my mind are Improved Invisibility, Shadow and demishadow magic and maybe Weird

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:04am:
oh, please amaze me - what illusionist spells would u add? There are not many whose arent based on interpretation.

Only ones useful that come into my mind are Improved Invisibility, Shadow and demishadow magic and maybe Weird

Well now, looky here:  You challenge me to come up with illusion spells that they could have added, and then you go ahead and provide a list of 4 spells all on your own.  Turbine managed only 3 new spells with the Warlock class, so your list of 4 is fine by me.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Kobald still hates massive text-wall.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 10:44am:
Well now, looky here:  You challenge me to come up with illusion spells that they could have added, and then you go ahead and provide a list of 4 spells all on your own.  Turbine managed only 3 new spells with the Warlock class, so your list of 4 is fine by me.

well, yeah - but these four imho arent in no way some iconic spells of illusion school. And actually imho really easily implemented - Improved invisibility is already in game (cloak of night invisiguard works like that, so it could be just duration/level version), shadow and demishadow magic could be done like simple multiselector spell with several already existing options, but changed save functionality. And weird is just another Wail tho for different save. Turbine just did really slopy job there.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:34am
Print Post  
This game needs more content.

Midgets annoy me, Deekin was alright but ddo kobolds just piss me off. Much like that sycophant uurlock kobold spam and oh so hilarious responses and brown nosing and quoting every single fucking dev post does.

Asheras's adjective for races I'd like to see was right  - heroic. Don't wanna play as vermin.

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2016 at 12:05pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:05am:
Kobald still hates massive text-wall.

This right here is why I won't group with fucktards playing goddamned kobolds. I'm going to squelch every motherfucker on my server that speaks or writes in any goddamned channel like that. And if that means I get to talk to one other person on the server, I don't give even one flying fuck. All you fuckers who talk like this can go fuck yourselves. It might actually be enough to make me start PvP'ing just so I can kill some of you dumbfucks.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #18 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 7:58am:
Imho the girl responsible for gnomes visual did good job - so it could be real fine.

This is likely why it didn't suck complete donkey balls (If it was indeed a girl).

Fucking Asperger's Sausage Party over there at Turbine.

Shifter and Kalashtar are easy, just more modded human paper dolls with new heads. Maybe some glowing eye options for the Kalashtar.

Shifting isn't an issue since it isn't "Full Retard" shaprchanging like Druid. It's just "aspects of" like Orcish rage.

Would be pretty badass if they did a swap to the werewolf graphic though...

90% of the work would be new dances (if any) and re-colouring the copy/pasted SLAs and EnH from other trees.

Easy work, fast cash in. Could be done in like, a week. Incredible it hasn't been done already, TBH.

But you know, Turbine.

Footnote: Fuck kobolds. Fuck them in their stupid asses. Dumbest idea in forever.

Holy ammo wasted shooting at party members, Batman!  Tongue

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 2:05pm
Print Post  

Some of the ignorant ideas I've seen mentioned include saying kobolds are an evil race. Clearly not aware of eberoni being at its foundation a setting with rather contrary cultural backgrounds for races like kobold orc and drow.

Not to mention clearly not having ever played the much beloved by d&d players classic never winter nights which introduced a certain kobold bard red dragon disciple who became on the forums the most popular hench man option for his adorable and amusing doom doom doom melody.

Its also interestingly enough triggering rants about how wanting to play evil races or indulge in the fantasy of being evil as practically making one guilty of something or being desirous of actually doing evil things.

Looney Vish  even went so far as to bring up in classic and typical bad taste kobold players wanting to bring assault rifles to movie theaters like that makes any sense.

Its funny how racially and ethically charged the DDO community seems to be. Its almost like they fit the oft given label to them of xenophobic and toxic when it comes to anything that conflicts with their emotionally charged and very flawed by ignorance ideas of what should and shouldn't be allowed.

Elitism in games I can get and even approve to some extent if the game isn't meant to be played casually. But virtual racism I've never seen or heard the like even on wow where races and their lore based prejudice is part of what defines the sides in PvP. Hell most wowtards play alliance and horde just to explore the different starting areas.

Is it possible something about DDO appeals to such a clearly disturbed individual as someone who would bring racial prejudice to the realm of the net where one is suppose to be able to transcend the physical for the virtual?

Die dumbshit.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #20 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
virtual racism ....... involving virtual races

I can't even more of this dumbcunt ........

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I think he is schizophrenic.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:22am:
well, yeah - but these four imho arent in no way some iconic spells of illusion school. And actually imho really easily implemented - Improved invisibility is already in game (cloak of night invisiguard works like that, so it could be just duration/level version), shadow and demishadow magic could be done like simple multiselector spell with several already existing options, but changed save functionality. And weird is just another Wail tho for different save. Turbine just did really slopy job there.

Ok.  You have a sorta point here.  Illusion spells have often been difficult to adjudicate for a DM.  In PnP these spells have often times been either implemented too powerfully or too weakly, all depending on the DM interpretation.  In a computer moderated game spells like Phantasmal Killer are the easiest kind of spells to implement, because they have discrete rules regarding their implementation, whereas many illusion spells are fairly open ended in their implementation.

However, there are some iconic illusion spells which could be implemented fairly easily, although of course I'm talking out my ass wrt to the ease of implementation in DDO.  Let's just say that I'd find them easy to implement in any game I was working on and let it go at that, shall we?

Blur - Already exists as a mechanic.
Hypnotic Pattern - Already exists as a mechanic.

Mirror Image - Excellent illusion spell with discrete mechanics.  Attack the caster, roll to hit an illusion.  Hit the illusion, reduce the number of illusions.

Phantom Trap - Could work with the existing Rogue Trap mechanics.

Displacement - Already exists as a mechanic.
Invisibility Sphere - No real difference from Invisibility, Mass.

Hallucinatory Terrain - This would have some value if creatures in DDO had any kind of aversion or sympathy for any given terrain type.  While a bit of a stretch for the PnP spell, creating a lawful planar environment to discommode chaotic critters and the like would not be a terrible implementation.  An AOE shattermantle effect, perhaps?

Invisibility, Greater - A new spell possibility.  A potentially potent one, as only monsters who could see invisible would be able to attack at full power would be a threat.  This kind of spell would kind of tie in with the failures of DDO to provide stealthy characters with either decent challenges or decent rewards.  Killing everything in almost every case rewards more XP than any kind of stealthy victory.

Rainbow Pattern - Fascinate already exists as a mechanic.  This is simply a mass effect of that same mechanic.

Shadow Conjuration - This spell and its higher level brothers are really just a way to allow an illusionist to inflict damage of a different type in the case that they are facing an opponent which is illusion immune.  A very fair trade-off:  Do less damage but you won't be simply useless.

Nightmare - Potential here to convert this spell to a combat spell.  Effects could easily be minor damage and an interruption of casting similar to Ear Smash or other similar abilities.

Mislead - A blending of Invisibility and Mirror Image.

Simulacrum - Could be converted into a combat spell, with the Simulacrum being similar to a summoned creature.  Perhaps with a very high Intimidate skill?

Scintillating Pattern - A straight up combat spell.

Weird - Basically an AOE PK.

So really, there are lots of illusion spells which could have been implemented by Turbine with the Gnome and Deep Gnome races.  They just thought, as stated by Cordovan during one of his live streams, that spells were too hard.  Which is a sad commentary, although true.

EDIT:  This is only a summary of the illusion spells on the d20srd.  There are no doubt a huge number of illusion spells available via the other source books.

Bottom line:  Turbine had a huge wealth of already invented material that they could have drawn from for the Gnome and Deep Gnome races.  And yet they deliberately choose to throw their hands up in the air, exclaim "Making spells is hard!" and introduce zero new spells with their illusion focused race.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2016 at 5:37pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #23 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 1:07am
Print Post  
side note, since nobody pointed it : Whiny_Kobold must be wetting his panties over that announcement.  Roll Eyes
He's been the biggest and loudest mobo poster regarding that topic.

IP Logged

NoShit
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 9:15am
Print Post  

Wow, you must be one of those regressive college cunts i always hear about, cheers.

Now get the fuck back into your mama's ass, you maggoty little shit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint