Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Update 32 named items (Read 12856 times)
iGouger
Ex Member

Update 32 named items
Sep 6th, 2016 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/en/update-32-named-item-information

Oh boy. Not really that much to see here.

Executioner's Plate/Docent are going to make Litany obsolete (+1 quality deadly, +1 profane bonus to all abilities, and lower ML). Yet another instance of power creep.

Executioner's Helm... seems about as mediocre as they come. Seeker 17 and insight deception 7 is pretty good for legendary though.

Another orb, I guess that's neat.

Turbine couldn't even bother putting "Legendary" in front of the ML 28 slave rags just to distinguish it from the heroic version? Lame. The item effects aren't anything to write home about either.

And yet another crafting system. Yeesh.

So much of the loot these days seems to have what I call "LGS syndrome:" many of them have one or two decent effects, sure, but they're just so specialized and niche that I have a hard time justifying using more than one. For instance, +72 HP is nice, and so is +22 to 1 type of saves, but are you REALLY willing to sacrifice a whole item slot JUST for that one effect? 99% of the time, I'm not. As a result, if you can actually manage to fit 5 LGS items into your build (let alone do the grind to craft five...), you build will probably be gimped because you could've gone with better items. Most of the time, because a given item is so specialized, I barely have room to squeeze it into a build anyway, resulting in my ignoring the loot. The way LGS was laid out is symptomatic of the problem that most new loot has been designed in the past year or so. It's nonsensical.

With all these weird item types (quality, artifact, profane, competence, enhancement, insight, natural, etc) there's just so much to keep track of and it's a headache to itemize these days. Furthermore, with almost every single piece of new loot being so specialized and narrow in scope, there's really not much reason to get excited about loot anymore. This is probably yet another pack of loot that I'll be ignoring.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Update 32 named items
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Executioner's Plate/Docent are going to make Litany obsolete (+1 quality deadly, +1 profane bonus to all abilities, and lower ML). Yet another instance of power creep.

Executioner's Helm... seems about as mediocre as they come. Seeker 17 and insight deception 7 is pretty good for legendary though.

Turbine couldn't even bother putting "Legendary" in front of the ML 28 slave rags just to distinguish it from the heroic version? Lame. The item effects aren't anything to write home about either.

So much of the loot these days seems to have what I call "LGS syndrome:" many of them have one or two decent effects, sure, but they're just so specialized and niche that I have a hard time justifying using more than one. For instance, +72 HP is nice, and so is +22 to 1 type of saves, but are you REALLY willing to sacrifice a whole item slot JUST for that one effect? 99% of the time, I'm not. As a result, if you can actually manage to fit 5 LGS items into your build (let alone do the grind to craft five...), you build will probably be gimped because you could've gone with better items. Most of the time, because a given item is so specialized, I barely have room to squeeze it into a build anyway, resulting in my ignoring the loot. The way LGS was laid out is symptomatic of the problem that most new loot has been designed in the past year or so. It's nonsensical.

With all these weird item types (quality, artifact, profane, competence, enhancement, insight, natural, etc) there's just so much to keep track of and it's a headache to itemize these days. Furthermore, with almost every single piece of new loot being so specialized and narrow in scope, there's really not much reason to get excited about loot anymore. This is probably yet another pack of loot that I'll be ignoring.

I find that most of my characters will wear one or two named items that are really nice.  The Slavers Crafting, LGS, and Cannith Crafting will make up the majority of the items they wear.  Because the named items are, as you mentioned, either overlapping too much or just don't have enough really desirable effects. 

Example:  You can't get base effects stats on any named items after Orchard Items and a few DoJ items.  And those are +11 and +12.  So CC crafted, Slavers Crafted, and LGS are your only sources for +13 or greater enhancement stat bonuses.  Only a few named items have an Insightful bonus greater than +4.  So your path to +5-+7 insightful is CC loot and LGS (Slavers crafting doesn't offer this).  Slavers does offer quality crafting, however, which neither LGS nor CC crafting offers (but is plentiful on recent Named items).  LGS offers Exceptional stats at Tier 3, which is not available on Slavers, CC loot, Ran Gen, or any recent Named items.  (although you can easily get +1 exceptional in colorless augments).   

So, right now, for stats, named items are a nice path to Quality bonuses, but pretty much everything else is coming from crafted gear of some sort.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
With all these weird item types (quality, artifact, profane, competence, enhancement, insight, natural, etc) there's just so much to keep track of and it's a headache to itemize these days.

The way I look at it is to just stack up what I need for a build, be that a stat or a spell power/crit or some effect such as Seeker.  And then just take whatever else might come with other gear items serendipitously while covering the basics like 100+ Fort, decent HP, etc.  Because the item Tetris is a real pain in the ass if you try to worry about too many boosts at the same time.

It's a shame that the heroic level items are level 8.  That's still well within the leveling range where you zip through levels really fast.  I liked the last couple releases that put things more around 15th, where you can put them on an iconic TR or after leveling a true TR up to that point.  Things you might actually wear without even thinking about until you hit 20th and another huge set of gear options (crap you've upgraded using s/s/s, all the commendation gear, etc.) opens up.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Damned if the trinket isn't a sweet item.

Level 8 True Seeing, Insightful Constitution +2, Dusk, Empty Green Augment Slot, Empty Blue Augment Slot

There's not much in trinkets with aug slots that is worth wearing in heroics, whatever effects they have are usually junk.  Dusk Heart might be the sole exception, and this trinket is a huge exception.  Slot a Master's Gift and something else.  Heavy Fort/FF/Blind Immune/UWA.  I can see farming this for all of my alts.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 2:45am
Print Post  
My main gripe with the heroic items I'm seeing is that they're either too worthless or too powerful. On one hand, you get the profane to all abilities + quality deadly on a ML 8 armor. Okay, great--that just makes ML 13 Litany obsolete for every character that does physical damage. On the other hand, you get shit like shield bashing 8, quality combat mastery 1, or quality MRR 2. Nobody gives a shit about these effects in heroic, especially at level 8 as you said, where everyone is blazing through the levels. Which is kind of a shame because (IMO), the best designed content is around the level 5-10 level range.

I guess items now have more variance and versatility, but it just gives me a headache trying to work around it. It's item tetris, as you said. It used to be where I'd only have to keep track of a handful of essential bonuses (false life, fort, +stats, resistance, etc) and then fit in other items such as Marilith Chain for seeker or whatnot. Now, there's so much overlap between item effects, and every new item gives like 10 different effects, that it's a complete mess trying to keep track of every effect I'm getting. Ultimately, I'm bound to have the same effect from multiple items, and then there's the whole augment thing, which is even more planning... I guess I just don't like how everything is multitudes more complicated than it used to be. It simply doesn't feel very DDO to me.

On a side note, I find it funny how hardly anyone here really gives a shit about the up-and-coming changes to the game with these new items, and find this weird discussion on the mobos about ranged more interesting  Tongue
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2016 at 2:47am by »  

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 6:15am
Print Post  
The new items, as well as everything added in the last 1-2 years suck shit.

But they deserve a congratulation for effectively killing litany of the dead.

Let me guess: it is not turdbin vengeance and "balancing" for a previous RTB sploit.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2016 at 6:16am by m4lacka »  

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Isn't the skin on that shield the same skin from the Archon's quests in Amrath.

I don't know which is worse...

Not PAYING ATTENTION and posting the wrong pic or being LAZY and just using the same skin.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 2:42am:
Damned if the trinket isn't a sweet item.

Level 8 True Seeing, Insightful Constitution +2, Dusk, Empty Green Augment Slot, Empty Blue Augment Slot

There's not much in trinkets with aug slots that is worth wearing in heroics, whatever effects they have are usually junk.  Dusk Heart might be the sole exception, and this trinket is a huge exception.  Slot a Master's Gift and something else.  Heavy Fort/FF/Blind Immune/UWA.  I can see farming this for all of my alts.

WTF LOL.  Looks like it's hard for you to keep the stupid straight.

I thought crafting was the way to go for heavy fortification?  I thought augs were inconvenient to get?  I thought your playtime was so precious and minimal that you didn't have time to farm any of the numerous named BTA item with a blue aug slot?  Let me guess, you're taking a multi-year approach to *farming* that for your alts.

Here's a refresher:
Frank wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 6:42pm:
You know what is easy and convenient?  Making a L7 CC 100 Fort item and calling it a day.

My characters Fort needs are handled....I have bta CC items for my alts, and I typically wear a CC fort belt until I swap it for a GS min belt on my main...

Obviously there's no point in responding to any more of your posts since you can't even stay consistent in your stance.  It would be like arguing with a politician about a broken campaign promise they made 6 months ago.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2016 at 1:04pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yet another instance of power creep

Quote:
So much of the loot these days seems to have what I call "LGS syndrome:" many of them have one or two decent effects, sure, but they're just so specialized and niche that I have a hard time justifying using more than one. For instance, +72 HP is nice, and so is +22 to 1 type of saves, but are you REALLY willing to sacrifice a whole item slot JUST for that one effect?

WTF? You literally contradict yourself 100% in this OP. How is it power creep if you barely are motivated to grind out the new stuff because it's so incremental?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I really like the fact that the heroic stuff is ML8. More good heroic stuff in that level range will interest me in doing heroics again.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

LurkYouRongTime
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 2:03pm:
I really like the fact that the heroic stuff is ML8. More good heroic stuff in that level range will interest me in doing heroics again.

Yeah. Maybe. One day Smiley More options is good but still needs tons MOAR for me to consider not getting heroic past lives with iconics Wink

IP Logged

LurkYouRongTime
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I like the new loot, some interesting things, some different things, pair it with new CC and it will give me quite a bit play time (mostly grinding but still). I like the fact it didn't completely invalidate older named items, only things that would completely go away are random generated loots but as it stands now all my playing toons will be wearing at least 1 item from each of updates 29, 30, 31, plus LGS (again 29 I guess), plus new CC items, plus new slave lords sets. So, yeah, not perfect but maybe B+ in my book on this updates loot.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Still waiting for someone to explain why they think executioners docent/plate are going to invalidate litany.

The vast majority of players in DDO don't wear docents or heavy armor, and even if they did those armors aren't even close to being mandatory or undisputed best in slot.

Mentioning that a +2 bonus to all stats is worth less than it was back when max stats were 11/4/1 and it'll become even less (relatively) powerful once the update hits and we'll be able to get 17/7/2/ + 4 quality would be a much more valid point.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
LurkYouRongTime wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:10pm:
Yeah. Maybe. One day Smiley More options is good but still needs tons MOAR for me to consider not getting heroic past lives with iconics Wink

Lol well thats how I got MOST of my PLs, but I do still like the heroic content! My problem is right around 8 I get really board with the gear options. I'm just not one of those "Carnifax at lvl 4 and then NOTHING ELSE until greensteel" kind of people, you know?

On the flip side, wtf is with all these +1 insight/quality/what have you bonuses that are all the rage these days? Where are you supposed to slot your actual main stat if all your slots are full of stacking +1s and 2s?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
It's also very unclear why the ring only has 15 instead of at least 17. The general trend dictates that the scaling effects on new loot are equal to or better than the numbers on loot with comparable effects from older packs.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:45pm:
Still waiting for someone to explain why they think executioners docent/plate are going to invalidate litany.

I'd love to know exactly what item "litany" is. That's pretty vague, even by MMO forum standards Tongue a cursory search on the wiki turns back way too many results.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #16 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:47pm:
On the flip side, wtf is with all these +1 insight/quality/what have you bonuses that are all the rage these days? Where are you supposed to slot your actual main stat if all your slots are full of stacking +1s and 2s?

Are they all the rage? I wasn't aware that people bothered getting the heroic gear from the past bunch of packs, most of it seems like a pointless way to spend your time.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:52pm by Pseudonym »  

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #17 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:51pm:
I'd love to know exactly what item "litany" is. That's pretty vague, even by MMO forum standards Tongue a cursory search on the wiki turns back way too many results.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Litany_of_the_Dead

IP Logged

zoriaan
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
WTF...Breaker of Bodies shield...this is the exact same skin as the demonic slab shield...they could not even bother changing the look of the new loot!?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:56pm:

Ah, that answers that.

Well, i think they are saying it will "Replace" it in the sense that the executioners docent/armor is about 1,000x easier to get. You know, unless it also has an absurdly low drop rate.

Some of the new heroic gear has been amazing. I wore my Captains Set clear up to lvl 20. It is also worth farming the ML15 Festering Mummy Wrappings http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Festering_Mummy_Wrappings since the bonus they offer is so great and the epic version is ML28.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #20 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I think the craft-able items that can be equipped in variety of slots will be interesting. Not for the gear itself but the unforeseen effects of monkeying with the code.

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
zoriaan wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 4:01pm:
WTF...Breaker of Bodies shield...this is the exact same skin as the demonic slab shield...they could not even bother changing the look of the new loot!?

that would mean someone plays the game and cares about it. Good thing is we now have 3 docents that look like the same plant.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 1:01pm:
WTF LOL.  Looks like it's hard for you to keep the stupid straight.

Damn, you are pathetic.  You accuse me of stalking you, and yet here you are just begging to get kicked again.  You're like the overly attached girlfriend, can't let it go.

Let me explain in really small words so you might be capable of comprehending.  Oops, I used a word with four syllables.  I'll try to watch that in the future, I don't want you injuring yourself by knocking your head against the wall.  The helmet is supposed to protect you but it does have limits.  Just like your intellect.

Maybe a numbered list will help:

1) You suggesting using an augment instead of a CC heavy fort item was fucking ignorant.;
2) Your fanboy gushing over the new CC is pathetic;
3) Prior to this trinket, the number of heroic items with a blue slot that were worth wearing just to slot a Heavy Fort augment were slim to none;
4) Now this trinket comes along and things change;
5) I know that change is scary, but try not to cry too much;
6) You are a dumbshit.

If that was too confusing for you, feel free to PM me.  I'll be happy to help you understand using smaller words.  I'm not trying to be condescending (that means 'talking down to you'), but you're just spilling your ignorance all over the threads, and you should quit while you're behind.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:45pm:

Well, considering you can make the armor/docent and the new trinket part of the set bonuses, it'll probably be more popular on paladins at least.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #24 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 4:47pm:
Ah, that answers that.

Well, i think they are saying it will "Replace" it in the sense that the executioners docent/armor is about 1,000x easier to get. You know, unless it also has an absurdly low drop rate.

Litany isn't particularly fun to get, but I wouldn't say that spending half a day on 20 MoD runs is "difficult".

noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 4:47pm:
Some of the new heroic gear has been amazing. I wore my Captains Set clear up to lvl 20. It is also worth farming the ML15 Festering Mummy Wrappings http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Festering_Mummy_Wrappings since the bonus they offer is so great and the epic version is ML28.

I'm familiar with the new heroic gear. I wasn't questioning the power creep, I was questioning whether or not it was worth spending time trying to get the items when leveling is already fast and easy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint