Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) What has this game come too? (Read 5002 times)
zoriaan
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

What has this game come too?
Sep 14th, 2016 at 6:19am
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/478637-100-Runs-of-Slavers-to-create-O...

So now people don't want to farm anymore?

They just want fully upgraded items handed to them on a plate...

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: What has this game come too?
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 6:39am
Print Post  
nah, I want to dick around for 12 hours straight to make 1 item.  Cool

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

zoriaan
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Oh come on...the grind is not that bad...I think in 3 runs through the new pack i have about 130-150 of each of the unbound mats and about 20 of each of the bound ones...

So maybe 10 runs you can have enough to fully upgrade an item?

I think that is reasonable...

Think back to Shroud when 20 were requited with no bypasses to cleanse a single item...nobody seemed to complain then...

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 6:39am:
nah, I want to dick around for 12 hours straight to make 1 item. 

He's a sock of you know who. Trying to be different by positive reinforcement trolling Cheesy

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 7:08am
Print Post  
zoriaan wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 7:04am:
Think back to Shroud when 20 were requited with no bypasses to cleanse a single item...nobody seemed to complain then...

Plenty of people were complaining. Apparently, no one in your static group, though.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 7:07am:
He's a sock of you know who. Trying to be different by positive reinforcement trolling Cheesy

Doh! That explains much, thanks for the info.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 10:29am
Print Post  

Because you have shit for memory. Then again, when you added together all the hours of grind that exist in this game, you didn't used to end up with something older than you are.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 7:07am:
He's a sock of you know who. Trying to be different by positive reinforcement trolling

It's working!

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Instructions not clear.  Foot caught in piñata.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 10:56am
Print Post  
There is a middle ground. 

A)  You can't compare raid grind to non-raid grind.  Non-raid grind should be lesser.  This might not feel like that because it is the new content and the more powerful feature set.   I get that.  But, relatively speaking, the power of a Supreme Tyrant Shroud item in 2008 is much greater than these items from here.  The grind should be commensurate.

B)  You have to consider the time to complete the run as well as the number of runs required.  If a a run is 15 minutes or less, 100 runs is nothing.  If a run can be completed in 30 minutes, 100 runs is grind, but not too bad.  If, however, each run requires 60 or 90 minutes to complete, now you are talking about a heavy grind.  I think the length of time per run is what is causing the frustration with the number of runs required. 

C)  You can't compare the pre-raid timer, pre TR/ETR era with the current era of the game.  Nobody playing today has the stomach for the kid of challenge that players used to enjoy.  Taking months to solve a raid on Elite.  Get real.  If you can't solve it on Elite within the first week, people will bitch and moan.  (Also, they won't look for solutions.  They will just start using consumables like mad to overpower it.  And then complain about the resource requirements as being absurd and unfair to the non-power gamers).

It's not fair to say that people who are unhappy with a heavy grind are "wanting something for nothing".  But I think that, given the length of the content to complete runs, it would make sense to see the number of runs required be dropped down from 100(ish) to 50 or 60 (ish).  Doing that takes the time investment down, but still makes it challenging.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 6:39am:
nah, I want to dick around for 12 hours straight to make 1 item.  Cool

But, neck/belt or wrist/feet or trinket/ring slot on the same item!  Such a bold, new, fresh loot concept that our minds are blown!

I'm almost surprised that when you equip it to the neck that it doesn't unequip your belt also.  Because that would have been exactly how Turbine would fuck that up.  But they managed to just make a mindless grind that people will run once on elite and then loaf through on normal/hard for the custom items.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I only got to parts 1 and 2 but wow, they go on and on...  Overall, I thought they were pretty good and grinding for the best loot is how an MMO works, but the overall length of these quests is going to increase the difficulty of getting people to run it, or even soloing it due to the time commitment for even completing a single part...   I wasn't around when TOEE was released, but it strikes me as very similar and I've been back 4 months or so, and I have still only run it once and that was heroic at level...  I very rarely see and LFM for it, heroic or legendary.   Slavers is going to be the same, I suspect.  It'll get run for the next few weeks, the powergamers will get their toys and then it will sit there unless someone figures out a way to invis past large chunks and cut the completion time to less than half....

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
zoriaan wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 6:19am:

Oh ok, go on then, seeing as you mention it.

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Oh come on...the grind is not that bad...I think in 3 runs through the new pack i have about 130-150 of each of the unbound mats and about 20 of each of the bound ones...

WRONG

A "fully upgraded item" takes 2400 of the collectables.
700 of each of the "more common" items = 2100
100 of each of the "less common" items = 300

This is a HUGE grind

Tell me how the grind "is not that bad" AFTER you have a FULLY upgraded item.

IP Logged

Steelstar
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
zoriaan wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 6:19am:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/478637-100-Runs-of-Slavers-to-create-O...

So now people don't want to farm anymore?

Facetious generalization, well of the mark. 

Additional bunk.  In your defense I doubt that you actually feel that way, but are attempting to establish your own space in the Vault as a going against the tide personality. Is there any chance you could do it in the other threads instead of the DDO-specific?
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2016 at 2:47pm by »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 3:16pm
Print Post  

20 was a good number. But it was also a solid number. Slavers can be a lot more variable than that.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Difference was back then heroic greensteel was great even at cap. (20)

And they didn't roll out something better than heroic greensteel every other update to invalidate the grind for it.

So it was worth it to grind for gear that you used for almost half your leveling and for end game.

Now.......do you really think this stuff will be worth a damn 2 updates from now?  At the rate they are going?

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

zoriaan
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:21pm:
And they didn't roll out something better than heroic greensteel every other update to invalidate the grind for it.

Good point...This does seem to be a problem lately...once you get the latest shiny it is null and void an update or two later...

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #18 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Mr wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 2:39pm:
WRONG

A "fully upgraded item" takes 2400 of the collectables.
700 of each of the "more common" items = 2100
100 of each of the "less common" items = 300

This is a HUGE grind

Tell me how the grind "is not that bad" AFTER you have a FULLY upgraded item.

I ran the chain on LH last night with a couple of guildies. After seeing the drop rate on LH and figuring it might be twice that on LE, I decided the grind would be way too much. The only reason why I'll run the three quests now are for the named items in the end chest (I only need a few, though). I'll keep the ingredients but only just in case a new duplicating method arises. I have ZERO interest in running these new quests hundreds of times.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:34pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

zoriaan
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Mr wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 2:39pm:
This is a HUGE grind

OK even if it is a huge grind, what else is there to do...if not this then the TR train or whatnot...this entire game is a "grind" no matter which way you look at it no?
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:41pm by zoriaan »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
So how long would it take to grind out three fully upgraded items?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 5:01pm:
So how long would it take to grind out three fully upgraded items? 

at least 30 runs of the chain Grin

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
zoriaan wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:40pm:
OK even if it is a huge grind, what else is there to do...

To answer your question - plenty outside DDO.
If a game is not compelling and enjoyable, why play it?  There are plenty of other games and RL things to do.
MMO's do mean grind and we accept that - part of the aspirational targets and psych hooks.
But when it becomes "dick in pencil sharpener" grind for the individual, it's best to go do something else.

Smart MMO companies are aware of this and try to balance grind-challenge-rewards to keep you hooked.  Turbine hasn't got a fucking clue and their idea of grind is putting Sev's sandpaper covered micro dick up your ass using sand as a lubricant.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 4:21pm:

Exactly this.

I have no incentive to grind this stuff out, as a casual player (made even more casual by disgust with the state of the game) by the time I finish grinding it it would be passe anyway.

I'm mostly over it, as PNG said there are plenty of things to do elsewhere, but it would be nice if I thought the devs were at least bright enough to realize people don't send money to games they are mostly over.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
The content was enjoyable. Now it isn't. It feels like grind. that's the problem. You need grind that doesn't feel like it. That's how they made us run DQ, Abbot and ToD 80 times. And, of course, the items would be useful for years.

Look what happened in the last updates:

U29 invalidated most of DoJ loot, Sightless is the only I can think about that lasted a bit longer
U31 invalidated most of U29 loot and Sightless (DoJ dies)
U32 invalidated everything else, except a few pieces of LGS for specific builds

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint