Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic One Thing Thread on MoBo (Read 8200 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

One Thing Thread on MoBo
Sep 21st, 2016 at 9:55am
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/478966-The-One-Thing-Thread

Quote:
Welcome to the One Thing Thread. This is a thread where each player can post one small thing they think should be looked at, adjusted or fixed. It could be a bug, a change to something that exists, a quality of life adjustment. However, there is no guarantee that anything posted in this thread will be touched, but it does provide us with a list of what things are important to the player base and help us decide which items to look at first. Reasons we might not use a given suggestion are: Design reasons, technical limitations, time restraints.

Suggestions posted here should be reasonable requests. This means no overhauling a quest or a major system, no major code changes such as hireling AI, and no major UI changes. We realize that players don't know our internal systems and tools, but try to think of a task that could be done by one developer in a couple of hours as a good guideline.

A couple simple rules of the thread:
Each player gets exactly one item they can post - any additional items will be ignored
No criticizing other players suggestions. Let everyone post their personal request and why they feel that way.
The more specific you are the more likely it is to make our list. "Fix this." with no information on what you feel is broken about it is generally not very helpful.

If all goes well this is something we could do again in the future as well.

We tested this out with the Player's Council to see how this approach would work. Here is a list of what we took from that discussion which will hopefully help guide people into the level of scope their suggestions should be:

Look at the door to the Gianthold Wilderness so that you can't accidently click the wrong thing and get teleported back out.
Check on why the teleport locations in the Gianthold Wilderness explorer area only get picked up by the first player
The fog sometimes causing white out on Precious Cargo
Gnome Wand and Scroll bug
The purple haze being too much in What Goes Up
Protection from Evil potions may not working
Green Steel Power shards of the same type would be nice if they could stack
Temple of Deathwyrm - Red light/Green light room killing non moving characters
Remove the map fog of war from 3 Barrel Cove public area
TWF offhand and shield bashes missing, instead of grazing
Dialog box stays up when entereing Beyond the Rift
Some poison effects not giving enemies the proper poisoned icon
Missing random encounters in King's Forest
Eldritch Burst complaining about target being too far away
Pirate Captain's hats removing hair - This might have a problem with hair when it isn't removed so has a decent chance of being a no go for now
Add DC tool tips for Stunning Blow, Trip and Improved Trip - this could be a big issue that is a long process and may not be feasible currently
Stop Creeping Cold/Greater Creeping Cold and Niac's Biting Cold overwrite issues - this might be completely unfixable in our current systems
Commendations/Heart Seeds not stacking when taken as end rewards -this could also be unfixable with current systems

This should be interesting. 

Lol.  8 Posts in:

Quote:
Just to follow up: If folks do try to reply to someone else's suggestion to give their opinion about it, the post giving the opinion will be deleted. Feel free to create a different discussion thread if you feel it is absolutely necessary to discuss someone else's suggestion, and make sure not to target the other person in the thread.

ALSO: It's always helpful to explain the why in your suggestion. Why do you feel this is an issue that needs to be addressed?

Already getting chippy, apparently.

My personal opinion is that:

A)  There is a known issues list that is very long.  Just pull from that vs. taking time to gather more data.  I'm not sure that a longer list of things to fix is needed at this point.  Seems like this could be done after the existing known issues were addressed.

B)  Working on existing known issues/annoyances as a portion of every release should be a standard function.  Not at the cost of content/progress, but working some in should be regular. 

C)  Focus on known issues/annoyances is long overdue.  I'm glad there is some focus on it, even if the methodology seems a bit off to me.  I would like to see results though.  Not just threads about it on the MoBo.  The jaded among us might argue this is window dressing or appearances.  Until actual fixes are seen in production, there is no actual measurable progress.    

(Translation:  Enough Talk.  More Coding.)
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2016 at 9:57am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: One Thing Thread on MoBo
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Honestly when I read that thread it seemed like a pretty blatant attempt to undercut and cool down complaints about the known issues list complaints from the other threads.

Doesn't make sense otherwise, because as you have pointed out there is already a huge fuck off list of known issues they know about. 

So it seems like a exercise in damage control and throwing the players a bone by saying "hey tell us what you would like to fix.." so they feel involved.

BTW you're still totally a shill. 
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2016 at 10:14am by Grand »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 9:55am:
(Translation:  Enough Talk.  More Coding.)

Smiley

And even with the artificial limits of no comments, no big bugs, and one per person it's already pages long!

Yeah, this should be interesting.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Total smoke screen bullshit typical of turbine. Its like a bull fighter waving a cape so he can poke the poor dumb animal over and over till it bleeds to death.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
We realize that players don't know our internal systems and tools, but try to think of a task that could be done by one developer in a couple of hours as a good guideline.

lolwut.  I've been coding for over thirty years, including for games, and I'd have no idea how to estimate these.

Look at the door to the Gianthold Wilderness so that you can't accidently click the wrong thing and get teleported back out.

Great example here.  This may not even be possible without a world-wide fix.  Ever try and pull a lever on the other side of a wall?  But hey, doors are mushrooms, so it might take 10 minutes.

Check on why the teleport locations in the Gianthold Wilderness explorer area only get picked up by the first player

Probably a couple hours if they know wtf they're doing.

The fog sometimes causing white out on Precious Cargo
The purple haze being too much in What Goes Up

20 minutes.

Protection from Evil potions may not working

Pots are a bigger mess than wraps.  They may not know how to fix this.   Grin

Green Steel Power shards of the same type would be nice if they could stack

20 minutes.

Temple of Deathwyrm - Red light/Green light room killing non moving characters

"Non-moving" according to whom?  Probably difficult.

Remove the map fog of war from 3 Barrel Cove public area

2 minutes.

TWF offhand and shield bashes missing, instead of grazing

This one's difficult, surely.  Goddamn boxes.  Days, at least; probably more.

Dialog box stays up when entereing Beyond the Rift

Couple hours.

Some poison effects not giving enemies the proper poisoned icon

Hour.

Missing random encounters in King's Forest

Are they even built?  If they're just not visible, couple hours.  Otherwise... never.

Eldritch Burst complaining about target being too far away

Fuck warlocks.  WAI.

Pirate Captain's hats removing hair - This might have a problem with hair when it isn't removed so has a decent chance of being a no go for now

Cheesy

Add DC tool tips for Stunning Blow, Trip and Improved Trip - this could be a big issue that is a long process and may not be feasible currently

Not sure I understand why, but I'll take their word for it.

Stop Creeping Cold/Greater Creeping Cold and Niac's Biting Cold overwrite issues - this might be completely unfixable in our current systems

I hate cold.

Commendations/Heart Seeds not stacking when taken as end rewards -this could also be unfixable with current systems

*shrug*

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
A)  There is a known issues list that is very long.  Just pull from that vs. taking time to gather more data.  I'm not sure that a longer list of things to fix is needed at this point.  Seems like this could be done after the existing known issues were addressed.

My assumption was this was to prune the list down to top current player priorities, not add to it. That list is old and probably not relevant to many players now. Who gives a fuck if the Titan raid pillars bug out, for example? (That was just an example.)

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I think the goal is to keep asking so often and with such increasingly restrictive conditions that eventually only one person will answer with only a single complaint, they can fix it, and tell WB that they asked their customers what bothered them and fixed everything on the list  Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Probably just trying to get a head count of accounts that they haven't banned from the forums yet.
Lips Sealed

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 3:29pm:
I think the goal is to keep asking so often and with such increasingly restrictive conditions that eventually only one person will answer with only a single complaint, they can fix it, and tell WB that they asked their customers what bothered them and fixed everything on the list  Roll Eyes

^This.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 3:29pm:

Honestly I think they've hit on a good idea, here. If you've spent much time over in the Focused Feedback & Suggestions second of the motherboards, you'll notice that it's full of fuckwits constantly undermining legitimate suggestions, while moronic ones get massive support based on the popularity of the poster.

For example: many players are playing self-imposed permadeath rules, and thats fine. They're idiots, but they aren't hurting anyone. ...until one of them gets upity and starts demanding Turbine devote dev-time to creating an actual permadeath mode for the 30~ people per server who play that way. Then another comes in and they start arguing over WHICH permadeath rules should be applied, then each of them brings along a bunch of friends who don't play that way, but make bullshit posts in support...

And suddenly you have a 30-page long argument about idiots that takes priority over all the actual useful suggestions.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 5:46pm:
If you've spent much time over in the Focused Feedback & Suggestions second of the motherboards

I've found it's much more efficient to simply rub my body with a cheese grater and bathe in lemon juice

Joking aside, it's a good idea if they do anything with it, so time will tell. My guess is it will be like every other QoL push they've made in recent years - less staying power than an election week promise.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
If they had a half-decent bugwrangler on staff, it'd be a million times easier to just get them to dump a list of bugs that should take an hour to fix.  Build a voting system, key it to your forum login, done.  Fix them in that order.

But no, 187 votes for "fix potions."

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Integrate the fucking crafting systems.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 7:14pm:

More than a couple hours.  Rejected.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 7:14pm:

Didn't know we had fucking crafting in the game! Where has this been all these years?

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Toke wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 9:39pm:
Didn't know we had fucking crafting in the game! Where has this been all these years?

I know elder scrolls four had a mod called sexlivion that added all kinds of kinky shit including erotic alchemy. Maybe that is what he was thinking of?

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Sexual healing potions. Make it happen.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Sep 22nd, 2016 at 12:30am:
Sexual healing potions. Make it happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlSiASsUIs

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:21am
Print Post  
I would like to see results though.  Not just threads about it on the MoBo.  The jaded among us might argue this is window dressing or appearances.  Until actual fixes are seen in production, there is no actual measurable progress.

But it's window dressing precisely because you'll see actual fixes in production.

With such a long list of random crap, they'll be able to cherry-pick a bunch of super-easy things, knock'em out quick, or a few per update, and say, "See, we listened!"  That gives them cover from having to put in the heavy lifting to actually address the big issues.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:28am
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:21am:
But it's window dressing precisely because you'll see actual fixes in production.

With such a long list of random crap, they'll be able to cherry-pick a bunch of super-easy things, knock'em out quick, or a few per update, and say, "See, we listened!"  That gives them cover from having to put in the heavy lifting to actually address the big issues.

This exactly.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #20 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:21am:

But I'm ok with that.  I don't have any hope of wraps ever being fixed, but dialog boxes that stay up are annoying *every* life.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Sep 25th, 2016 at 3:16am
Print Post  
My personal opinion is that:

My impression of this thread was that it was Lynnabel's legacy.  Remember how she asked on the forums for people's suggestions on quick & easy fixes?  Tool tip text not matching actual effect, that sort of thing.  I don't recall if she did the same thing on the Turboards, but here she asked for a list of 5.

So my suggestion would be to hire Lynnabel or someone with a similar interest in improving the player's experience by reducing the amount of lying the game does by providing not just not enough information, but actual misinformation.

They can pay for it by firing one of the hacks they currently have on staff, and probably make money on the deal.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #22 - Sep 25th, 2016 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I once watched a dev log from a random game a few years ago. They showed how they were fixing bugs (game was in beta I think). It's not rocket since, you just make a list, an excel sheet, with bug description, level of annoyance, difficulty to fix ... then you start working on it.

Why this self-proclaimed AAA developer is unable to fix the most obvious and annoying bugs, that tell every new customer at once how low quality standards are in this game, and this for years, is really absolutely beyond my comprehension.

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint