Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic game won't launch ? (Read 4733 times)
spambot3000
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

game won't launch ?
Oct 10th, 2016 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
i only play once a month or so

was playing the other night and game/computer crashed

shut off and went to bed, next day computer wouldn't boot up, finally did - ddo started but in 640x480 mode. had to reinstall video drivers for some reason. now ddo launcher opens, password, select world and... nothing...

can see ddolauncher actually disappear from the task manager list

i know i know why do i play this shitty game but anyhow, any ideas ?

ive already run self repair, uninstalled and reinstalled...
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2016 at 10:10pm by spambot3000 »  

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Re: game won't launch ?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
General question: if you uninstall, does it delete the settings folder/file?  There's a "Dungeons and Dragons Online" dir, at least in lunix... that's killable.

I think I ran into this once, where it was trying to hit some unsupported setting, and couldn't resolve it until I wiped out that stuff.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Agree.
Go to My Documents and look for a folder called Dungeons & Dragons Online.
Within it, you should find a file called UserPreferences.ini

Rename the file.  It will stop the game using it, but keep it should you wish to reinstate it.  I would not delete it as it might have many settings that you can't be bothered re-doing all over again.

Try rebooting, and the game will create a new version of that file.
If the game loads, go back and compare the two to isolate the cause.

As Ah Pook said, I found once that the game resolution got corrupted to an unsupported number, and the game simply refused to load.
No error messages or anything - took ages to find.

Good luck.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Odd Game won't launch bug.
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 3:43am
Print Post  
I encountered an interesting bug lately.
My son has been bugging me to play DDO for awhile now, so I thought I'd give him one of my alt accounts to play around with.

I took one of my USB copies of the game, updated it, and then file copied it to his machine.
I have done this many times before when I ran multiple machines when I wanted to avoid doing the update more than once.

So I copied the files, loaded the game and it kept crashing to desktop after "loading data" just before character select.  Just as the screen changes.  I think that is the handover point from Launcher to the DDO game exe.

So I Googled, checked Turdbine Support and tried all the fixes I could remember.  nada.
Went back and installed all the legacy .net shit.  Checked the DirectX12 files were there.
Checked firewall permissions.
Gave each of the key Turbine .exe files admin privileges.

This is a brand new, mid tier machine with fresh install of Win10, lots of RAM, SSD and good vid card.

Deleted all the files, re-downloaded the game from DDO website, installed and started playing.  This time I got to the character select screen, chose character, crash.  Every time.
Rinse and repeat a dozen times after a reboot and rechecking all settings.
Tried running the game in DX9, DX10 and DX11 modes.  No change.

On a hunch, ran the game from the USB stick - and it worked flawlessly!
Huh Huh Huh Huh

What the heck?

Any ideas why it would run without a problem from a USB stick and not from the SSD?

The only thing I have noticed is that the SSD based launcher version prompts a a few UAC security permissions dialogues, but the USB launcher does not?
Could it be a Win10 UAC quirk that does not apply to USB sticks?

I have to say that I have had very few problems running DDO from USB sticks on many different computers.
So if you're having problems running it, copy all of the DDO Unlimited folder onto a USB2 or 3 stick and try running it.  Might help diagnose the cause of your issues.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 4:40am
Print Post  
ya.. the game is stuck at installing pre-reqs..

comcast is having problems too. a lot of people are complaining all over in diff cities. so.. idk wtf

IP Logged

spambot3000
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 7:34am
Print Post  
renamed userpref and it booted right up, thanks !

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Le Sigh...

Why people still bother with the Akamai Powered, Bug Riddled, Failing to start the game half of the time, Official Launcher when there's two other options that are working far better,
are not generating these issues, do not get stuck at any point and are way faster means to enter the game.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

FTL
Waterworks Kobold

Re: Odd Game won't launch bug.
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 8:53am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 3:43am:
I encountered an interesting bug lately.
My son has been bugging me to play DDO for awhile now, so I thought I'd give him one of my alt accounts to play around with.

I took one of my USB copies of the game, updated it, and then file copied it to his machine.
I have done this many times before when I ran multiple machines when I wanted to avoid doing the update more than once.

So I copied the files, loaded the game and it kept crashing to desktop after "loading data" just before character select.  Just as the screen changes.  I think that is the handover point from Launcher to the DDO game exe.

So I Googled, checked Turdbine Support and tried all the fixes I could remember.  nada.
Went back and installed all the legacy .net shit.  Checked the DirectX12 files were there.
Checked firewall permissions.
Gave each of the key Turbine .exe files admin privileges.

This is a brand new, mid tier machine with fresh install of Win10, lots of RAM, SSD and good vid card.

Deleted all the files, re-downloaded the game from DDO website, installed and started playing.  This time I got to the character select screen, chose character, crash.  Every time.
Rinse and repeat a dozen times after a reboot and rechecking all settings.
Tried running the game in DX9, DX10 and DX11 modes.  No change.

On a hunch, ran the game from the USB stick - and it worked flawlessly!
Huh Huh Huh Huh

What the heck?

Any ideas why it would run without a problem from a USB stick and not from the SSD?

The only thing I have noticed is that the SSD based launcher version prompts a a few UAC security permissions dialogues, but the USB launcher does not?
Could it be a Win10 UAC quirk that does not apply to USB sticks?

I have to say that I have had very few problems running DDO from USB sticks on many different computers.
So if you're having problems running it, copy all of the DDO Unlimited folder onto a USB2 or 3 stick and try running it.  Might help diagnose the cause of your issues.

It could have been where you copied the files to, W10 is extremely twtichy on modifying/moving/copying files to/from the Program Files folders. I would recommend creating a Games folder at the root of C: so it would be C:\Games\DDO

Also disable UAC it is a pointless waste of time and causes far more problems than it fixes.

IP Logged

spambot3000
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 7:54am:
Le Sigh...

Why people still bother with the Akamai Powered, Bug Riddled, Failing to start the game half of the time, Official Launcher when there's two other options that are working far better,
are not generating these issues, do not get stuck at any point and are way faster means to enter the game.

I had the DDOprelauncher or whatever it was called, it quit working a long time ago.

As I said, I only play once a month or so - I don't have lot of time to dick around with different stuff I just want to log and loot  Cheesy

IP Logged

spambot3000
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 10:03am
Print Post  
ugh, can't interact with the left mouse button ? (click on doors, etc, etc)

i guess im not looking at the right setting....

its probably right in front of me, sorry I just got done filling out 42 pages of PRIA forms for an airline application, my brain is fried to the 9th degree, just want to log and kill shit...
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2016 at 10:04am by spambot3000 »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
spambot3000 wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 9:40am:
I had the DDOprelauncher or whatever it was called, it quit working a long time ago.

As I said, I only play once a month or so - I don't have lot of time to dick around with different stuff I just want to log and loot  Cheesy

Preloader still works, but Turbine saw the light and included part of the preloader tech into the official launcher.
( they just preload client_gamelogic.dat instead of all of them. )
Since then the preloader effect has been dramatically lowered. ( except if you use an alternate launcher. )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint