Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Easy way of getting a topaz of deathblock? (Read 22062 times)
[]
Madame President

Re: Easy way of getting a topaz of deathblock?
Reply #25 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Oct 23rd, 2016 at 3:19am:
DDO Store for 50tp?

Correct: you won the I.Q. contest, the rest of this thread is complete shit.

Game over.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #26 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:27pm:
and your eternal flask of deathward against beholders) you can easily stack 8-16 negative levels in 10 seconds in quests like acute delirium. The best part is if you get sniped with a beam getting 4 negative levels instantly... Wonderfull game design.

That much, I don't actually have too much a problem with. The stupid part is that it takes one minute per level to regain them. On UMD-poor builds, that's 5-10 minutes with your thumb up your ass. For each beholder in the quest.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:56pm:
That much, I don't actually have too much a problem with. The stupid part is that it takes one minute per level to regain them. On UMD-poor builds, that's 5-10 minutes with your thumb up your ass. For each beholder in the quest.

I'm not sure what part of:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Silver_Flame_Talisman
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Death%27s_Locket
is difficult to understand.
Also Visor of the Flesh Render Guards

But Bushin says swapping gear is so hard, and so I ceased to care.

PS:  You can also get cleric & fvs hires who can cast DW and MDW.  If you hate running with a hire, summon, have them cast, then park at the start and forget about them until your DW expires.  Call to you and have them cast again.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #28 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Oct 26th, 2016 at 8:59pm:

Revaulting wrote on Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:56pm:
beholder

That part.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 26th, 2016 at 9:06pm:
That part.

What part?  The part where the first two items I linked absorb the neg level drain effects of those beholders?  That part?

I carry both, and I've never once had both drained of all charges, even in the most beholder heavy quests.  And both regain all charges after a rest, unlike a PLIS which is still a decent alternative.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #30 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 4:39am:
What part?  The part where the first two items I linked absorb the neg level drain effects of those beholders?  That part?

I carry both, and I've never once had both drained of all charges, even in the most beholder heavy quests.  And both regain all charges after a rest, unlike a PLIS which is still a decent alternative.

How often do you solo?

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 6:16am:
How often do you solo?

Aside from raids?  Probably 80-90% of the time. 

Care to answer my question now?

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #32 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Oct 26th, 2016 at 8:59pm:

But Bushin says swapping gear is so hard, and so I ceased to care.

PS:  You can also get cleric & fvs hires who can cast DW and MDW.  If you hate running with a hire, summon, have them cast, then park at the start and forget about them until your DW expires.  Call to you and have them cast again.

EDIT: The tone in my previous reply was a bit wrong, I feel like you've digressed quite a bit from the original question but your suggestions would be valid. However on my current build I don't have easy access to deathward. I know there's a lot of ways of relatively easily getting deathward but on this character combined with serious time constraints they are not an option.

This means that without deathblock the character has no resistance to death spells besides saving throws (which is a 5% or 1/400 in case of PK) chance of instantly dying. Since the character also relies on a lot of gear to work I can't always wear one of the items you linked. Easy solution would indeed be to swap ovcer to one of these items when needed (e.g. when fighting beholders).

However I do not know every single caster that casts instant death off the top of my head and by the time I find out i'm usually already a soul stone. Hence I was asking for a topaz of deathblock because that easily fits into a gear set and mitigates this problem.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2016 at 1:17pm by Bushin »  

IP Logged

zoriaan
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
What server are you on? If you are on Cannith I can give you one I have a few lying around....

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #34 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
zoriaan wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 1:14pm:
What server are you on? If you are on Cannith I can give you one I have a few lying around....

I play on Orien myself but thanks for offering. The thought's appreciated.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #35 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 12:51pm:
EDIT: The tone in my previous reply was a bit wrong, I feel like you've digressed quite a bit from the original question but your suggestions would be valid. However on my current build I don't have easy access to deathward. I know there's a lot of ways of relatively easily getting deathward but on this character combined with serious time constraints they are not an option.

This means that without deathblock the character has no resistance to death spells besides saving throws (which is a 5% or 1/400 in case of PK) chance of instantly dying. Since the character also relies on a lot of gear to work I can't always wear one of the items you linked. Easy solution would indeed be to swap ovcer to one of these items when needed (e.g. when fighting beholders).

However I do not know every single caster that casts instant death off the top of my head and by the time I find out i'm usually already a soul stone. Hence I was asking for a topaz of deathblock because that easily fits into a gear set and mitigates this problem.

Your well reasoned and written posts will not be read here.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 1:47pm:
Your well reasoned and written posts will not be read here.

This

IP Logged

spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Reply #37 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:27pm:
I wholeheartedly agree, After playing with a melee build without easy access to deathward (have fun with pots and your eternal flask of deathward against beholders) you can easily stack 8-16 negative levels in 10 seconds in quests like acute delirium. The best part is if you get sniped with a beam getting 4 negative levels instantly... Wonderfull game design.

Drink dw potion, either the flask or a pot that can be gotten several ways,  and equip pale lav. Makes you immune to beholder dispel ray,  and even functions after the pale lav is drained (doubt that is wai, but who cares)
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:40pm by spyder »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 12:51pm:
However on my current build I don't have easy access to deathward. I know there's a lot of ways of relatively easily getting deathward but on this character combined with serious time constraints they are not an option.

That what Visor of the Flesh Render Guards is for.  Very fast chain at level on elite, smash it on N for repeat runs, and about a 30-50% chance to be offered one.

Also the night revels offers spooky DW pots, but I prefer the clickies as they never go away.

Quote:

Yes, that is the easy solution.  I don't wear those items full time on any character, they aren't great items aside from the negative level absorb.

Quote:

That's why you get DW via a clicky, hireling spell, or potion.  None of those methods requre you to fit anything into your gear set.
Then you swap in the neg level absorb items for beholders which dispel your DW.  For (almost) all other fights you can wear whatever neck item you chose.  The almost is for the few pesky casters who dispel buffs.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:32pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #39 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:25pm:
That what Visor of the Flesh Render Guards is for.  Very fast chain at level on elite, smash it on N for repeat runs, and about a 30-50% chance to be offered one.

Also the night revels offers spooky DW pots, but I prefer the clickies as they never go away.

Yes, that is the easy solution.  I don't wear those items full time on any character, they aren't great items aside from the negative level absorb.

That's why you get DW via a clicky, hireling spell, or potion.  None of those methods requre you to fit anything into your gear set.
Then you swap in the neg level absorb items for beholders which dispel your DW.  For (almost) all other fights you can wear whatever neck item you chose.  The almost is for the few pesky casters who dispel buffs.

Ain't nobody go time for farming easy, low level mission arcs for BTA items.  Some people don't play for hours every day you uppity elitist.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #40 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 11:00am:
Aside from raids?  Probably 80-90% of the time. 

Care to answer my question now?

I'm guessing then, the answer is you're a whole lot better at dealing with beholders than I am. Got any pointers?

spyder wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 5:05pm:
and equip pale lav.

This seems promising.

IP Logged

spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Reply #41 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 3:41am:
I'm guessing then, the answer is you're a whole lot better at dealing with beholders than I am. Got any pointers?

There are multiple spell absorption items in the game. Get one of them.  Equip it then Cast dw via pot/flask/spell/clickie then run up and punch beholder in the face.  It really is that simple.  Beholders have very low hit points so they die fast to melee, even to a strength dumped wizard. 

Note, i haven't tested the other spell absorption items to see if they block the beholder dispell effect after being drained of charges,  but i do know the pale lav does.  It also had the bonus of being a trinket, so less likely to fuck up your gear set.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 3:41am:
I'm guessing then, the answer is you're a whole lot better at dealing with beholders than I am. Got any pointers?spyder wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 8:32am:
There are multiple spell absorption items in the game. Get one of them.  Equip it then Cast dw via pot/flask/spell/clickie then run up and punch beholder in the face.  It really is that simple.  Beholders have very low hit points so they die fast to melee, even to a strength dumped wizard.

Spyder took care of it for me.  The only things I would add are:
If you are ranged or have ray spells, open with those.  The anti-magic is either a short range or a normal range effect, so you can hit from outside its effective range.
The neg level absorbers I linked are just as good as a spell absorb item, and last a lot longer, as long as you can live through the simple damage of a disintegrate.
If you have to melee them down and you're not a melee build, run behind them or use deception to turn them away from you.  They can still pop you with the rays that can aim behind them, but not the anti-magic cone.  The magic suppression doesn't last very long and if your melee is weak you can recover from it and finish with a spell.

Except for red named or boss beholders, they usually die very fast even at level on elite.  The orange named in VON3 don't seem to have as many HP as the ones in the insanity packs, but I think all the named ones there are red and not orange.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Reply #43 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Yep you can blast them from range.  The beautiful thing about the spell absorption isn't absorbing spells,  it's that it keeps the beholder from dispellunh your buffs so your deathward stays up. That makes beholders no threat at all. I guess you could still roll a 1 and get turned to stone but even then it's laughable cause they can't damage you.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #44 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
spyder wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 8:32am:
Note, i haven't tested the other spell absorption items to see if they block the beholder dispell effect after being drained of charges,  but i do know the pale lav does.  It also had the bonus of being a trinket, so less likely to fuck up your gear set.

Holy shit I never noticed that. If that's true it's amazing and I thank you profoundly for sharing that tip.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #45 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
spyder wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 8:32am:

So what you're saying is I'm doing it wrong, because I don't bother to cast buffs/DW. My PnP expectations were just too strong. Got it. Thanks.

Frank wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 9:52am:
The only things I would add are:

This isn't different from how I normally deal with beholders. Still, I'm glad I asked, because what spyder said was eye-opening ... wait. Wrong word choice.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #46 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Spell resistance is also a thing.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #47 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 7:19pm:
Spell resistance is also a thing.

And now more available than ever. It makes umber hulks much less annoying, too.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 9:43pm:
And now more available than ever. It makes umber hulks much less annoying, too.

Spell absorb works against UH stuns.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #49 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Oct 29th, 2016 at 2:22am:
Spell absorb works against UH stuns.

Noted. Thanks. Now I need to test when wearing spell resistance, whether they deplete anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint