Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Probably a stupid barb question (Read 3755 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Probably a stupid barb question
Aug 29th, 2017 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
But do barbs even really need to take the power attack feat if they're investing in the power attack enhancement?  I've always taken it out of habit (did you used to need it to unlock the barb power attack?) but is there really a reason to keep taking it with the new trees? 

Do the two stack together and give you more power?  No idea how it is now, but I know it used to be that when you clicked the barb power attack, the regular turned on too.  I never really gave it much thought, I always thought the barb overrode the regular. 

Ok, looking at the wiki it looks like they stack with half orc's improved power attack...but what about regular?  Or are you just wasting the feat on any class besides Horc?

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: Probably a stupid barb question
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Gotta have Power Attack to take the PA enhancements in any trees.

PA normally adds up to 5 damage per swing. The three levels of PA enhancements add another point for each level. PA + all three levels of the enhancement adds 8 points of damage per hit.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:07pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I always assumed that the enhancement doesn't do anything if you don't actually take the feat. By all accounts, horc improved power attack should stack with barbarian improved power attack since they have different names, though I have not tested this. That would be interesting if you could just take the enhancement and get a mini (+3) PA.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Doodle
Abbot Raider

Shoot first ask questions
later!

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Well you need power attack if you want the cleave feat.  Need the cleave feat in dreadnaught. 

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:04pm:
Gotta have Power Attack to take the PA enhancements in any trees.

Doodle wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:33pm:
Well you need power attack if you want the cleave feat.

And there you have it.  They've completely revamped the barb trees since I started playing again and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or making a mistake by building on autopilot like when I got in the habit of only using light armor for barbs (I fucking swear there was originally a reason for that - like they only got their dodge bonus if they wore light armor...7 years ago).

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:43pm:
And there you have it.  They've completely revamped the barb trees since I started playing again and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or making a mistake by building on autopilot like when I got in the habit of only using light armor for barbs (I fucking swear there was originally a reason for that - like they only got their dodge bonus if they wore light armor...7 years ago).

they have med armor prof and the best med armor for heroics is scales of malice due to having a dodge cap higher than majority of light armors in that range. dumb powercreeped items 2 gud

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
they have med armor prof and the best med armor for heroics is scales of malice due to having a dodge cap higher than majority of light armors in that range. dumb powercreeped items 2 gud

Damn...that is a mighty sweet set of armor there.  If I go back to pure pally, I'm definitely going to have to get that pack just to get that armor. 

I'm about to do two barb lives with a splash of rogue for evasion.  Hate doing the splash, but there were only two weak spots when I used to play barbs - self healing and traps.  Self healing is (slightly) less of an issue now (they still need to put some decent pots in the game) but I am so not going back to dealing with getting stuck in a fucking bear trap every ten seconds in evening star if I don't have to.

Rogues still need light armor for evasion, right?  If not, I'll start looking for some decent med armor.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 6:36pm:

Scales is good armor with a pile of nice effects and so well worth considering, but old cap content stuff still has it beat.  Full Plate of the Defender (VOD loot) is 29 armor +3 dex at 14th and that's that same as 17 armor +15 dex and assumes a +15 dex bonus at 14th.  Plus it comes native with +4 deflection AC.  Powercreep is nothing new to the game.  If I had it I'd definitely wear the Scales from 10th to 14th though.  Sweet Druid armor to be sure.

Skoodge wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:29am:
Rogues still need light armor for evasion, right?  If not, I'll start looking for some decent med armor.

Yes.  I posted two (also old cap content) good AC light armors in your pally post.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:09am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:04am:
  Full Plate of the Defender

How does 3 dodge beat 15. Just stop it today. don't go around spreading misinformation, fran.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 11:19am:
How does 3 dodge beat 15. Just stop it today. don't go around spreading misinformation, fran.

When you clearly don't understand either AC or dodge, you shouldn't be calling anyone else Fran.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 12:55pm:
When you clearly don't understand either AC or dodge, you shouldn't be calling anyone else Fran.

clearly dodge is hard for you. let's ignore the word dodge and use numbers.

15>3. even with 14 more ac on vod plate, dodge is better. stop trolling on your sock, fran

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 1:08pm:
clearly dodge is hard for you. let's ignore the word dodge and use numbers.

15>3. even with 14 more ac on vod plate, dodge is better. stop trolling on your sock, fran

Yes, let's ignore the word dodge, because we're talking about AC, you fuck.

And I already spelled out how the armor I listed is better AC than the armor you listed.

So fuck off, Fran.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 3:37pm:
about AC, you fuck.

12 more dodge beats the piss out of 15 more ac, chai.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:08pm:
12 more dodge beats the piss out of 15 more ac, chai.

I thought we'd agreed to ignore the word dodge?

But since you are an ignorant fuck, let's use the word you previously said was irrelevant.

We were talking abut AC, yes?

Full Plate of the Defender = 29 AC + 3 Max Dex Bonus.  + 4 Protection +4

Suck it, your dodge failure.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:47pm:
+ 4 Protection

a ml 12 augment?
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2017 at 5:15pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 5:15pm:
a ml 12 augment?

When we're talking about a level 14 armor?  How is this even hard for you?  Oh, it's because you are an idiot.

And yeah, I already allowed how the other shit on Scales besides AC is sweet, so now you're just being an extra special idiot to try to drag other idiots down with you in some desperate attempt to avoid a conversation about 29 AC on level 14 armor.  Good job!

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
The vault's been somewhat entertaining to read lately. Is it just me, or is Frank acting extra retarded as of late?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:37pm:
29 AC on level 14 armor.  Good job!

I think 15 dodge + 17 ac +up to 30 armor from dex modifier, is better than 29 ac and 3 dodge. Add in that scales is level 10 and adds in harder to gear abilities like parry 2, ins con 2, prr 14, and basically negates the 2 slots on that Defender Plate has in Hvy fort and prot +4 by having vitality +19 and a green slot. While also being only ml 10. Malice also is way better in regards to customizable features for gearing , and a 29 ac vs an avg ac of 20 for Malice would have a barb lose out on 12 more dodge chance for 9 more ac tops. 15 dodge is easily breakable by any lv 12 barb.      
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2017 at 12:55am by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The vault's been somewhat entertaining to read lately. Is it just me, or is Frank acting extra retarded as of late?

It's his normal level of retardation but with his recently increased posting activity it's more noticeable.  He's probably off his meds again.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2017 at 10:20pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint