Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic So... what's happened? (Read 4590 times)
Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

So... what's happened?
May 4th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I've been gone for years and just came back a few weeks ago.  I was wondering if someone could give me a recent history of the game.  Who is this new company that owns DDO now?  What are they like? What happened to Turbine?  Are Warlocks the new master race?  I mean I'm glad to see Favored Souls get knocked off that spot, but it kinda seems like there's no point in being anything besides a Warlock now?  The peeps on Orien are friendly and pretty relaxed, which is new, but it still feels like a bit of a ghost town.  Are the other servers in a similar state?

If this is a common request, maybe just point me to an appropriate thread or something.  Thanks.

bbqzor: "This game is, in some ways, a pile of leftover broken things."
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: So... what's happened?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2018 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Turbine dissolved and re-formed as Sucking Shit Games(SSG). It's the exact same leadership staff but fewer employees and somehow even fewer fucks given. Turbine is dead, and Asheron's Called was killed with extreme prejudice. We can expect a similarly lackluster send off to DDO.

Warlocks are at the top of the DPS chain but, really, it's not like its that important. Most old builds are now sub-par, but if all you care about is having the highest DPS yopu should go play Dragon Ball Z or some shit. You can still play whatever you like, no one cares.

There's a new difficulty level called Reaper that is interesting. Community is pretty split by it, but it does add some additional challenge.

There was a MASSIVE ban-wave recently and the community as a whole may never recover, but the game soldiers on.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Spelljammer wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 11:08am:
I've been gone for years and just came back a few weeks ago.  I was wondering if someone could give me a recent history of the game. 
Who is this new company that owns DDO now?  SSG
What are they like? Turbine, just allowed to be more snotty in forum posts
What happened to Turbine? Who cares? If you care that much, then google it.
Are Warlocks the new master race? No, they are a class, not a race.
I mean I'm glad to see Favored Souls get knocked off that spot, but it kinda seems like there's no point in being anything besides a Warlock now? You are confused, Warlocks are optimal, but the game is such trash you could play a 3 bard, 7 wizard, 10 cleric and be fine.
The peeps on Orien are friendly and pretty relaxed, which is new, but it still feels like a bit of a ghost town.  Are the other servers in a similar state? All servers are similar since everyone solos. Why? Because it is easier and faster and the lame xp reward isn't enough for most people to give a shit when it comes to grouping.

If this is a common request, maybe just point me to an appropriate thread or something.  Thanks.

Study material in red.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 11:53am:
There was a MASSIVE ban-wave recently

Who was banned and why?  Where can I read some more about this?

bbqzor: "This game is, in some ways, a pile of leftover broken things."
IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2018 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
If you want to get back into the game, Ravenloft is fun content.  Good raids.  Good loot.   The challenge level of it is actually less than some of the content that directly preceded it.

If your old guild is inactive, then find a new one that can help you get up to speed on the systems changes.   

Warlocks are overpowered in heroics and make great trash clearers in epics, but lack strong single target boss DPS.  They are nearly unkillable, though, so it's just a matter of time to kill the bosses, really. 

Other classes/builds that perform well include handwrap monks, Shuriken throwers, xbow rogues, other DC casters (Wizard and Cleric are decent). 

But you can play almost anything these days and have fun with it.  The new vistani knife tree and some new dagger named weapons make for some fun assassin or knife builds.   

Population has dropped over the years.  The recent banning cleared out maybe 20-30 players each on 3 servers (G-Land, Sarlona, and Orien or Cannith, I think).  The others were mostly unaffected.

The bigger impact in getting groups together has been the ability to solo most anything non-raid in the game at the highest level of quest XP for years, the expansion to level 30, the addition of 10 reaper difficulties, and the class, epic, iconic and racial past life reincarnation system's growth.  That stretches the player base out dramatically in every direction.      

I still enjoy the combat system and the quests, though.  I'm probably in the minority around this place, though.   
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2018 at 4:09pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Warlocks are at the top of the DPS chain

Where can I get some of what you're smoking?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Symbiont wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 2:19pm:

The same reality where only 20 people lost toons

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Symbiont wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 2:19pm:

https://www.ddo.com/en/forums/forum.php

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2018 at 4:25pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Warlocks are at the top of the people constantly bitching about them being OP chain 

Better?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Groo The Wanderer
Titan Demolisher

did I err?

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Seriously Warlocks are mid level DPS, high-mid to low-high DC casters.  Where they excel in is survivability.  Hell if you are doing Heroic TR's don't even go full Warlock throw in a couple Rogue levels for traps if you want.

Seriously their DPS is bland from level 15 and up.  Though Tentacles is the best CC in the game IMHO.  They get most of their survivalility from Temp HP though and that doesn't get nerfed in Reaper so that is a strong advantage even if killing is slow for them.  Really, their strength comes from not needing to do any real trade-offs to get decent to good abilities in nearly every category (traps being the one thing that they really cant' manage on their own without a second class).

where's the cheese dip?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
warlock dps is stupid high in heroics, between wave, cone, consume/stricken, and tentacles, there is nothing it can't dps down in elite quests. Wave by itself is around 800 avg damage per activation ( before crits ) using 300 radiance and 230 pact spellpower ( that is level 15 btw ). throw in the rest of the dps abilities in the rotation and it's 3k+ on average every 5 seconds, with most of that being aoe and only one of those abilities costs spell points.

old wave math i did back when racials were announced.

assuming at least 20+ AP in TS and 30+ AP in SE

using 302 radiance spellpower @ lv 15 [pact powers 231] ( higher post ravenloft gear as are crit chances too )

wave applies metas, 225 + 302 = 527 light power meta'd
wave scales 1.5 spell power, 527x1.5= 790 light spell power on wave hits. 719 pact spell power on wave hits

not even going to count 60 power from 20% crit multi in TS cores, and not including tainted boost for 25 spell power. tainted and crit multiplier gives another 85 spell power on average if you wished to math it.

spellpower multiplier
(790 + 100) / 100 = 8.9 multiplier for light power damage on wave
(719 + 100) / 100 = 8.19 multiplier for pact damage on wave

wave base dice
4d6 light =12 avg dmg. 12x8.9= 106 avg wave light damage
11d4 pact =22 avg dmg 22x8.19=  180 avg wave pact damage
106+180 = 286

three waves = 286x3= 858 avg damage per wave activation

post RL gear and criting make this even more insane.

cone math for the curious:

cone is 4d6 light dice, 10d4 pact dice but scales with only 130% power and doesn't meta.
(note how pact damage is almost double the base damage for non-ES/aura/burst builds)
130% (cone) of 302 = 392.6 radiance power
130% (cone) of 231 = 300.3 pact power
(392.6 + 100) / 100 = 4.926 radiance multiplier x 4d6 avg of 12, 12x4.926= 59.112 avg light damage per cone
(300.3 + 100) / 100 = 4.003 pact damage multipler x10d4 avg of 20, 20x4.003 = 80.06 avg pact damage per cone
59.112+80.06= 139.172 total damage per cone tick.

rotation of wave/cone/cone/cone is 859+ (139 x3) 417, 1,276 avg damage every 6 seconds per rotation

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2018 at 9:08pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2018 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Measuring "DPS" is like plotting the unemployment rate.  Here are some arguments anyway.

Rub's right, but two points already mentioned to emphasize...

Rubbinns wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
rotation of wave/cone/cone/cone is 859+ (139 x3) 417, 1,276 avg damage every 6 seconds PER TARGET per rotation

Imagine being a smexy raging barb, but instead of doing a normal attack, you do a cleave every time, and it has three times the range, and every couple of attacks you launch a fucking fireball instead.  Yeah, there's other stuff with better DPS, which is great for both of those encounters where there's one lonely orc standing in an intersection.

Or imagine you can double+ your hitpoints pretty regularly, and that they aren't scaled down in reaper, and you have perma-displace.  You're basically Asheras wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 1:25pm:
unkillable

DPS approaches zero when you're dead.  Easiest way to keep it up is don't die.

Bosses are different of course, so yeah, they suck that 2% of the time.  And epics.  But if you want to plow through 60 fucking runs of Merry Christmas to Clowenks...  Monks are great, but you need four hands to play them properly.  Sometimes I wanna get xp with one hand while the other's beating off to Boston getting spnaked.  That's warlock.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #13 - May 5th, 2018 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Plenty of classes and builds are better DPS than warlock.  Almost every single one of those better-than-warlock builds requires  significantly more focus, effort and skill than a warlock to achieve, which immediately rules out a vast majority of the remaining DDO players.  Thus, the perception is that warlock is OP'd while in reality, it is middle of the road at best. 

People like easy buttons and warlock is DDO's biggest easy button.  Sadly, way too many people conflate easy with power these days.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
There's another reason Warlocks are the common "go-to" for heroic level TRs.  Reapers. 

If you go close combat on a reaper they hit you with that reaper-slow shit.  They are perma-incorp, can't be insta-killed, and very few combat skills work.  Even the lowest dps of the bunch, Fear Reaper, got a boost to the bitch-slap they deliver, and you're usually dead in one or two hits from a Carnage.

Ranged builds do better, assuming they have the ability to bypass incrop, but only have paralyzing to stop them.  And most ranged builds don't pack the HP or the PRR to deal with a reaper when it teleports in.

Warlocks, at lvl 1, are ignoring incroprial.  They get "command" and / or "suggestion" at lvl 1 too.  So they can CC the only real threat in the quest, and can dps it down.  They are the Swiss Army Knife class in the game, and don't require a lot of brains to build one that will survive.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #15 - May 6th, 2018 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 12:05pm:
There's another reason Warlocks are the common "go-to" for heroic level TRs.  Reapers. 

If you go close combat on a reaper they hit you with that reaper-slow shit.  They are perma-incorp, can't be insta-killed, and very few combat skills work.  Even the lowest dps of the bunch, Fear Reaper, got a boost to the bitch-slap they deliver, and you're usually dead in one or two hits from a Carnage.

Ranged builds do better, assuming they have the ability to bypass incrop, but only have paralyzing to stop them.  And most ranged builds don't pack the HP or the PRR to deal with a reaper when it teleports in.

Warlocks, at lvl 1, are ignoring incroprial.  They get "command" and / or "suggestion" at lvl 1 too.  So they can CC the only real threat in the quest, and can dps it down.  They are the Swiss Army Knife class in the game, and don't require a lot of brains to build one that will survive.

This, the damage is mediocre but with all the other op shit they got the class is good even in high skulls.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on May 5th, 2018 at 9:18pm:
Almost every single one of those better-than-warlock builds requires  significantly more focus, effort and skill than a warlock to achieve

A warlock is basically 1/2 as good as a sorcerer for about 1/3rd the effort.  Which is probably why most of the mouth breathers will swear up and down that Warlock is so good.

Rubbins post is a good example of that.  800 dmg every 6 seconds sounds good on paper but DFB at that level will be hitting for what, 1300 on a crit?  So in the same 6 seconds a sorc can do 2500~3k?

But you can only do that as long as your SP holds out.

Another good example is at level 5 which is probably the earliest you can reasonably get cone. It's going to be hitting for like, 30 tops?  Burning Hands/Acid Spray are going to be hitting for 70+.  -But- the range on burning hands requires you to be up a mobs asshole to hit them with it while Warlock cone can hit things 3 zones away and ignores the Z axis.

Most players evaporate if they get within spitting distance of a mob so getting that close to burning hands things at level 1~5 is almost certainly a no go.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2018 at 2:27pm by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #17 - May 8th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Groo The Wanderer wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 5:37pm:
throw in a couple Rogue levels for traps if you want.

Something I see way too often so I want to address this:

-Never- splash rogue for trapping unless

1 - You are in a static group with people AND
2 - Nobody else wants to do trapping

3 - OR if you clear at the rate of a snail anyways such that speed/efficiency doesn't matter dick to you

Trapping is only efficient if while you're fucking about with the traps, someone else is pushing on in the dungeon.

Otherwise it's better XP/min for most dungeons to just ignore traps.  There's a grand total of maybe 10 non-shit quests in the game where there are enough traps on the way and the xp bonus it represents is good enough to warrant bothering.

I see so many shitty builds made even shittier by people who hamfist in trapping.  That's a huge gear/skillpoint/ability investment for something that is moderately useful in like 1/3rd of the quests in the game at best and will only really 'reward' you on less than 1/15th.

If you love trapping and want to do it because it's fun, then by all means.  But never recommend it to someone as a way to make their character better because it doesn't.

Trapping is a trap.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2018 at 4:54pm by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - May 8th, 2018 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 2:45pm:
Trapping is a trap.

I've always considered it a drawback. Even on a pure rogue I don't want to bother with that shit.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #19 - May 9th, 2018 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Something I see way too often so I want to address this:

Trapping is only efficient if while you're fucking about with the traps, someone else is pushing on in the dungeon.

Trapping is a trap.

No

Every time you search, take a drink. Every time you disarm a trap, take a drink.

Makes Tomb of the Shadow Knight the last quest you recall entering.

Makes DDO awesome again.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #20 - May 9th, 2018 at 8:59am
Print Post  

Duh.   Is there any other way to do trapping?  Trapping is about a 30% bonus in a good number of heroic dungeons.   Of course the rest of the party completes the objectives while the trapper just does the traps and, probably, nothing else.  That's how Monestary, Spies, Wiz King, Feast, Maze, Cry, Foundation, Rainbow, Von3, Von4, Shadow Knight, STK 3, WW 1, Deleras 4, Gwylans, Bounty Hunter, Redwillow, etc all work.   

Trapping isn't a trap.  Trapping is valuable (30% more XP) when done correctly.   It is a non-linear activity, even in linear dungeons.  Anytime you can split the party and accomplish mutliple XP earning objectives simultaneously you should do it.  If you need your trapper's dps to clear/complete the dungeon then problem isn't the trapper. 

Sure trapping done the dumb way is a bad idea.  But the solution isn't to say Trapping is bad.  The solution is to do it right.    Otherwise you are just giving up a 30% XP boost because your party can't manage multitasking properly.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2018 at 9:33am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - May 9th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
Rubbins post is a good example of that.  800 dmg every 6 seconds sounds good on paper but DFB at that level will be hitting for what, 1300 on a crit?  So in the same 6 seconds a sorc can do 2500~3k?

many things out dps a warlock, but in heroics where hp thresholds are low, it is a killing machine. they have the highest skill floor of any class while still retaining a caster skill ceiling through the various spells they have.

a lv 15 sorc easily does more than 3k every 6 seconds with a full rotation. it's just that it costs spell points, sometimes elemental damage is resisted or out right ignored, and people have a hard time figuring out what spell to cast against the type of mob, or evasion if your dc is low.

an average lv 15 warlock's dps is around 3k single target every 6 seconds. 800 was a flat number for wave without crits factored in. lv 15 warlock should be critting 20s for light/force, and 30s for pact. the bulk of that dps comes in the first 4 seconds from wave, consume, stricken, and tentacles ( about 2.5k of the damage ). that is enough to kill most trash at that level thru free dps, at medium range, while kiting. very few non-bosses go above 2-3k hp at that level.

the warlock advantage is that almost nothing is resistant or immune to light or force damage, wave and cone cannot be evaded ( the pact damage can only if sonic ), base eldritch dice cannot be saved against at all, and it costs 0 spell points for large majority of its dps abilities. easily winning any battle of attrition.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - May 19th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
warlock is the best to solo heroic reaper quests, this is unquestionable. R3 is a breeze on a warlock while any other class you have to use both hands. Soloing R5 on warlock is meh, any other class is a problem. Their advantage is that they have more benefits all around without drawbacks at heroics.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint