Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Melee Buffs (Read 6971 times)
Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Melee Buffs
May 8th, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/496219-What-do-you-think-the-devs-shou...

"In general, we are likely to look at survivability in higher difficulties (particularly Reaper) as we investigate melee improvements. It is likely that Hit Points are part of that solution, but there are probably other things as well."

"Whatever we end up doing probably would not be linked to investment in Reaper trees, for the reason that we would want it to be a more universal improvement for melee in Reaper difficulty."
(pg 4,6)

Well, it was only about time until something like this happened. The ironic thing about all of this is that melee are literally already the best things you could roll in this game, from an endgame perspective. However, the skill gap and strenuous playstyle are far beyond the capacities of mobo posters, and since the majority of the feedback comes from that category, that's where game-changing decisions are based from. People complained about THF being shitty, when they just couldn't twitch-fight. The list goes on and on, but I don't want to develop another tumor ranting about it.

Now, time to see how utterly broken melee get.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2018 at 6:41pm by Symbiont »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: Melee Buffs
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Funny how something that caters to the most people winds up being average....

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2018 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Not arguing for or against an HP buff on melee with this comment, but it is interesting to me that HP is, for the most part, static across most classes.

Look at the sources of HP.  Besides the stalwart/sacred defender stances or animal domain, bear form, RM, or FvS HP option, most classes have access to the same HP increase sources.

The original difference was the class HD.   Which could be D4 to D10, but that results, at 20, in a difference of 120 HP maximum.   That was a lot back in the day of cap 16 or 20.  Most players didn't have a con over 30 and there were few other buffs.   But these days?  120 is not as much a difference.  (250 vs 400 is huge.   1350 vs 1500, not quite so significant).

It has always been easy to be a two stat build on a caster.   DC stat and Con.  Done.   Most melee builds are doing 3 stats.  Maybe 4, depending.  That means that it is just as easy for a Caster to have a 60 con as it is a fighter or rogue.  Maybe easier. 

I've seen melee DPS with 1100 HP and 1800 HP (non-reaper, ofc).   I've seen casters with 1100 HP and 1800 HP (again, non-reaper). 

« Last Edit: May 8th, 2018 at 10:05pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2018 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Symbiont wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 6:38pm:
Now, time to see how utterly broken melee get.

Armor Up part duex

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Its honestly pretty sad that most of the players on that thread are complaining about how hard higher difficulty reaper is, when the benchmark for builds was supposed to be elite, and reaper was supposed to be a difficulty that encouraged grouping of regular players, and for the highest difficulty was supposed to be almost impossible.

R10 is already laughably easy with a decently skilled and competent group. And the pathetic losers cry because they can’t do r5+ efficiently on their melees and want to blame the game for being unfairly difficult. Instead of looking at the real reasons they suck in high reaper; shitty builds, lack of any effort to find good players to group with, and lack of cooperation.

But now the devs have caved to the mouth breathers on the forums who want to be able to solo reaper 7 on their arty/fighter multiclassed flavor build. I’ll take any buffs the devs throw melee, but it will probably make the game even more ridiculously easy and unchallenging. Would love to see them actually support a difficulty rework for elite, and to actually scale for elite instead of reaper, but that hope looks to be so far gone that even Han Solo isn’t trying to beat those odds.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2018 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
If you don't want to read the whole thread let me tl;dr what the general forum groupthink is:

- Melee kinda suck at solo R3 heroics compared to ranged

- This is, of course, the fault of DC casters at level 30 in R10's

Yeah, I see this ending real well.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
If ever a post needed a few of those "have you tried a lower difficulty?" People.....

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2018 at 3:02am
Print Post  
These lazy idiots who want all classes perfectly balanced would also complain about how rock-paper-scissors is unfair and they can't just always win with one over the other two.

Every class has their strengths and weaknesses based on the situation and dungeon.

Oh yeah, DDO is based on a ROLE PLAYING GAME.  Quit fucking up the role playing aspect with your shitty "everyone must be equal in this world".  The 1% will always rule the world. You 99% losers need to just go out in the real world and learn what it takes to become the 1%.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2018 at 4:18am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 3:02am:
The 1% will always rule the world. You 99% losers need to just go out in the real world and learn what it takes to become the 1%.

Of all the things you could belong to the top 1% of in this world, you've picked a dying mmo?

Your mother must be proud of you.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2018 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 4:18am:
Of all the things you could belong to the top 1% of in this world, you've picked a dying mmo?

Your mother must be proud of you.

Considering he said "go out into the real world", I suspect his comment was more generalized comment about career, family, etc than just DDO.   It may have even been a call to quit playing DDO and go do something meaningful with that time. 

I could be wrong, but that was my interpretation.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #10 - May 10th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
SSG only created Reaper in order to justify more power creep.

The end.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #11 - May 10th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 9:21am:
SSG only created Reaper in order to justify more power creep.

The end.

The same could be said about every level cap raise they ever did.   And TR, ETR, ITR, RR.  It's what MMO's do.  They create a mountain to climb.   Once a large enough percentage of the player base climbs that mountain, they build a new mountain.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2018 at 9:46am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 10th, 2018 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 9:46am:
they build a new mountain.

So that's why they're making White Plume Mountain..

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
I think the only way to satisfy the "average players who spend all their time on the DDO forums trying to make everything equal" is to roll the game back to 2006 and level 10 cap with the 4 enhancement slots that had to be overwritten if you wanted a different enhancement.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 3:02am:
These lazy idiots who want all classes perfectly balanced would also complain about how rock-paper-scissors is unfair and they can't just always win with one over the other two.

Every class has their strengths and weaknesses based on the situation and dungeon.

Oh yeah, DDO is based on a ROLE PLAYING GAME.  Quit fucking up the role playing aspect with your shitty "everyone must be equal in this world".  The 1% will always rule the world. You 99% losers need to just go out in the real world and learn what it takes to become the 1%.

This equally balanced D&D shit sounds a lot like 4e, and we all know how that turned out...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - May 13th, 2018 at 6:35am
Print Post  
You can't balance D&D... and they have been trying to balance DDO for 12 years now... and failed.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #16 - May 14th, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
It is rare that you all agree to
- forumites are incompetent idiots
- SSG employees are incompetent idiots
oh, wait...

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #17 - May 14th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 6:53pm:
It is rare that you all agree to
- forumites are incompetent idiots
- SSG employees are incompetent idiots
oh, wait...

Idiot.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #18 - May 15th, 2018 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 7:30pm:
Idiot.

Stating the obvious isn't clever.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Sid
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - May 15th, 2018 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 9:46am:
They create a mountain to climb.

The only thing left to do, once you get to the peak is Alt+F4. Give me more, deity lives, weapon lives, anything. Cool

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 9:29am:
Stating the obvious isn't clever.

Depends on what you're measuring against. Or measuring with. I hear it's all relative. Specifically, your Mom.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #21 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Sid wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 10:50am:
The only thing left to do, once you get to the peak is Alt+F4. Give me more, deity lives, weapon lives, anything. Cool

Deity lives you say?

Blood of Vol: 1d4 vampirism on melee attacks. Stacks up to three times.

Vulkoor: 1d4 poison damage on melee or ranged attacks. Stacks up to three times.

Silverflame: 1d4 good damage on melee or ranged attacks. Stacks up to three times.

You get the picture...

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #22 - May 16th, 2018 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 6:35am:
You can't balance D&D... and they have been trying to balance DDO for 12 years now... and failed.

I object to the general you in that sentence.  That's like saying "you can't make a working ladder in a game, they've tried for 12 years and failed."  Other (arguably more competent) designers figured that shit out decades ago.

Please replace "you" with "the monkeys at turbine".  Thank you for your time.  Smiley

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Fuckwit
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Get Ready For Reaper Reincarnation!

We are very excited to announce the newest feature coming to DDO: Reaper Reincarnation! For the character that "has it all" this is your chance to "take it to the next level".

Like Epic Reincarnation, Reaper Reincarnation can only be done at level 30. It will also require 10,000,000 xp. But not just any experience points! You will need ten million Reaper Experience Points for each Reaper Reincarnation you wish to undergo. Those experience points, and the associated Survival Points, will be lost, and your character will be reset to level 1.

In exchange, you will earn one of 9 Reaper Past Lives (no other past lives are earned when you use a Reaper Heart).
Dread Adversary I grants +1 to hit and damage in Reaper Mode
Dread Adversary II grants +5 to hit and damage in Reaper Mode
Dread Adversary III doubles the value of all enhancements you take in the Dread Adversary tree.
Dire Thaumaturge I grants +50 sp in Reaper Mode
Dire Thaumaturge II grants +250 sp in Reaper Mode
Dire Thaumaturge III doubles the value of all enhancements you take in the Dire Thaumaturge tree.
Grim Barricade I grants +10 hp in Reaper Mode
Grim Barricade II grants +50 hp in Reaper Mode
Grim Barricade III doubles the value of all enhancements you take in the Grim Barricade tree.

The first feat for each tree unlocks the second, and the second feat unlocks the third.

Reaper Hearts come in three varieties, one for each Reaper Tree. They will be available in the DDO store and in game, for the low price of 2995 Turbine points or 100,000 Mysterious Remnants.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #24 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Fuckwit wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 9:30am:
Get Ready For Reaper Reincarnation

Launches along with ReReaper difficulty.

It's re-HARD-ded!

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint