Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) PSA: Circle Radius Attack/Spell In DDO Are Squares (Read 9764 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

PSA: Circle Radius Attack/Spell In DDO Are Squares
Jul 5th, 2018 at 3:25am
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/497600-Strahd-Circles

someone posted that lotro had the same issue where the circle icons displayed are false and the real area of effect radius is a square, not the circle.

I tested cleaves around 3 years ago or so and learned that they behaved the same way, but never thought about it until i read that post. I posted my findings here in a thread discussing weapon ranges with ffs, though good luck finding it through my thousands of shit posts.

You can test for yourself. So far I just tested both death auras and negative energy burst. And they are actually squared.

If someone could test haste/rage/buffs etc. You would need a person to be the dummy there. I will test the dps spells on the next lama ( fireball, ice storm, energy burst, etc ). Or if i can get a person to sit there. fireball, hellball and ice storm can be cast at your feet to test this.

To clarify, stand with your character facing the dummy. Test until you are put out of range when using cleaves/spells. Then simply imagine a X axis from your character's center. Now turn to the sides where the points of the square would reach ( squaring your left/right arms to the dummy ). The hits/spells should land and trigger the dummy.

screenshots;

directly facing and cannot hit.

same exact spot, but facing to side and arms squared with target = hit

same exact spot, but facing backwards and to the side with arms squared to target = hit

so, yeah, if anyone could be bothered to alert the devs and tell them theyre retarded for using circles, and that theyre ignorant of their very own game that they own.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2018 at 3:26am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: PSA: Circle Radius Attack/Spell In DDO Are Squares
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
What's the size relationship between the circle and the square?

i.e. If you had a big square and drew a circle in the middle of it to so that the cardinal points of the circle touch the N, E, W, S sides of the circle, then you are getting just a little bit extra of coverage on the  corners.

or is the square INSIDE the circle.  In this case, then you are missing coverage on edges of the square that are inside the circle?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
it's just a square posing as a circle. the square has a larger aoe due to the corners covering more area than the circles would show.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:08am:
it's just a square posing as a circle. the square has a larger aoe due to the corners covering more area than the circles would show.

Ah, so the circle fits inside the square and not the other way around.

Interesting.

Sounds like they're still using standard graph paper for development. They could at least upgrade Hex pads.  Cheesy

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:47pm:
Ah, so the circle fits inside the square and not the other way around.

Interesting.

Sounds like they're still using standard graph paper for development. They could at least upgrade Hex pads.  Cheesy

It leads me to believe every aoe has a square radius. I have tested warlock aura and es blasts and they too use squares. I dont think these devs even know that a circle radius probably does not exist in this game....

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
DDO's shitty client coding can probably only calculate Pi to 2 digits and probably rounds the decimal down.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:12pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
I'm not usually chiming in to defend devs that did sometthing weird/wrong, but in that case I'm going to.

Do you have any idea how much clock cycle it takes to calculate a circle and determinse what's in it and what's not in it ( and I'm just talking 2D here ) compared to calculating what's in a square ( or any rectangle for that matter ) ?

( and I'm talking at the lowest coding level : Assembler )

You do not want to have to deal with circles if you want to avoid performance issues at some point, you really do not want.
Even the simplest algorithm dealing with circle has code that takes hundreds clock cycles to execute when for the same effect for a square/rectangle it takes barely more than ten clock cycle.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:21pm:
I'm not usually chiming in to defend devs that did sometthing weird/wrong, but in that case I'm going to.

Do you have any idea how much clock cycle it takes to calculate a circle and determinse what's in it and what's not in it ( and I'm just talking 2D here ) compared to calculating what's in a square ( or any rectangle for that matter ) ?

( and I'm talking at the lowest coding level : Assembler )

You do not want to have to deal with circles if you want to avoid performance issues at some point, you really do not want.
Even the simplest algorithm dealing with circle has code that takes hundreds clock cycles to execute when for the same effect for a square/rectangle it takes barely more than ten clock cycle.

I feel like youre making a stronger case for the devs to use squares. I'm just baffled as o why they would choose to implement a new red-circle radius mechanic when everything is a damned square. im betting they didnt even know and just assumed everything was a circle radius.

i now legit think that every aoe in this game uses squares.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
The same design exists in DoJ and MoD, and RSO.   All have circular AoE from bosses.  And any number of other places.  It has been that way for a long time.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:08pm:
The same design exists in DoJ and MoD, and RSO.   All have circular AoE from bosses.  And any number of other places.  It has been that way for a long time.

they would need to fix the animations on every spell/aoe in the game to correctly display the true perimeter of the squared radius instead of using a misleading circle. 
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:14pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Realistically how do we use this.

1. It seems that if we attack in squares, that mobs also attack in squares. Take the first boss in Slavers. On r10 he cleaves and it can be a one shot to melee. Any boss with this "half-orc" model has this cleave animation. (Many bosses have no cleave, E.x., Strahd, so you can stand directly on top of the tank.) Just how square is a cleave? Does the cleave align with the Coordinate system regardless of the direction the mob is facing? In this case you would always want to be standing in along the X or Y axis of in game /loc. Geometrically, this minimizes our chances of being hit, since the diagonals are longer than they appear. On the other hand, maybe it doesn't matter... ...if we have a longer diagonal reach then the mob has a longer diagonal reach. You would be able to hit a cleaving boss from further away at a diagonal but he would be able to hit you from further away on a diagonal.

2. It seems that we need to be well outside the radius of a circle since we are unable to determine the actual death zone. This would explain why the circles in the "Heart phase" of Strahd are so deadly. I've seen people die standing outside the circle. Or am I interpreting this incorrectly?  Grin

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:33pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
This info is fun as hell.

IP Logged

Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:37pm
Print Post  

Basically how it should be visualized, the circle being the apparent hitbox, with the inside border of the square being the actual shitbox. This appears to be static with all circular AoEs, including even the TWF "twirl" at the end of the animation. This is most likely the case for the strahd circles, considering that you can be hit standing around the circle if you're placed at any point in the circumference that's not a cardinal direction from where it's cast. However, as some mobs can hit directly behind them despite swinging forward for some unexplained reason, their shitboxes are probably different. Not in shape, but their "circle-squares" are most likely much larger to avoid players running in circles while swinging, while never being physically hit by the mob they're attacking.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
2. It seems that we need to be well outside the radius of a circle since we are unable to determine the actual death zone. This would explain why the circles in the "Heart phase" of Strahd are so deadly. I've seen people die standing outside the circle. Or am I interpreting this incorrectly? 

you're correct. we have been, for 11 years now, falsely lead to believe the game uses circles for perimeters. Every aoe is a square in ddo. despite the stupid circle animation used. auraus, cleaves, spells, consecrated ground, etc.

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
You would be able to hit a cleaving boss from further away at a diagonal but he would be able to hit you from further away on a diagonal.

think of it like this

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:50pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
shitboxes

Grin

Quote:
Dude you died. You were all up in that mob's shitbox!

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Stay out of the shitboxes boys...

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
It makes immediate sense when I square it with my memories of backpedal-strafing. A tight circle never worked unless you kept yourself between the mob's eyes, or square-danced off its shoulder.

If they had made cleaves rectangles, that would've added a pretty nice, dare I say "realistic", touch to an already pretty good combat system. Hit boxes, too. Then you could make yourself a smaller target, and have longer reach, by facing sideways. As it is, you can apply the same principle, just catacorner.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
This is probably why kiting around the blade barrier works like it does.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Might also explain how blade traps hit me even though I'm standing just outside the radius of the swing.

IP Logged

tinkerer
Dirty Sock

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Some of my guildies and I tested this back when DOJ was being run a lot. We've known for a while that the aoe effects aren't perfect circles (I always just assumed that the precision of their algos was low leading to inaccuracy).

However, while this is true in MOD, old fire peaks, etc., the effect was confounded in DOJ, as those hitboxes aren't just not-circles - they are misaligned with the graphic. As in, you can be standing at the gate more than halfway away from any circles center and still get hit. You can also stand directly in the circle and sometimes not get hit.

We even went so far as to characterize safe spots based on instance number and meteor rotation. (the spots are all instance based)

Just my 2cp.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #20 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
That makes a lot of sense. Safe to assume cones are actually rectangles as well.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:02pm:
That makes a lot of sense. Safe to assume cones are actually rectangles as well.

didnt even think of that. at least rays are straight lines. good ole rays. dependable

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
to clear this up, in case there are any misunderstandings, the area of effect is LARGER than what is displayed by the circle. You can test this using warlock's aura and see that the target can be hit by being outside of the circle.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2018 at 3:28pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #23 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
The only case where I can think of this being a negative is blade barriers, you could actually be overlapping them despite the visual.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:27pm:
The only case where I can think of this being a negative is blade barriers, you could actually be overlapping them despite the visual.

It is absurdly detrimental to game play in reaper where damage is lethal. In that strahd video linked in op, the player is in the direct point where both squares meet. I'm pretty sure he took x2 damage. The safe distance is a wide berth, but that isnt always possible and moving to the very narrow zones in the cardinal directions of the mob leaves a very small margin of error and some guess work.

Even less obvious things like how to position spells, auras, and cleaves to not hit things youre not supposed to be hitting. Stealing tank aggro, or getting cleaved, hit by an aoe when you needed to be directly in those cardinal tight spaces. Remembering which way the mob was facing when it cast a circular red colored aoe marker on the floor is not simple in many places due to mobs spawning when no one saw them, or in very chaotic phases of raids/quests. 

Devs will never fix that stupid red circle animation they were so happy to introduce recently.

yw everyone
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:29pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint