Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) PSA: Circle Radius Attack/Spell In DDO Are Squares (Read 10158 times)
MisterHank
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: PSA: Circle Radius Attack/Spell In DDO Are Squares
Reply #25 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
YOU are a square.

There is no such thing as a perfect circle in any (virtual) reality. True circles only exist in our imagination.

Also: You're fucking blind or retarded for not realizing that the dummy is not round... Look at it's arms.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
MisterHank wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 11:21pm:
You're fucking blind or retarded for not realizing that the dummy is not round... Look at it's arms.

where did i say the dummy was round? what would that have to do with anything at all?

wtf are you even okay?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

MisterHank
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Look at it. Stand to the side of the front and he gets closer.

IP Logged

MisterHank
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 1:20am
Print Post  
And thanks for asking, I'm kinda baked so could be retarded also.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:24am
Print Post  
MisterHank wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 1:19am:
Look at it. Stand to the side of the front and he gets closer.

the same result on any dummy in the ship, including the cannon, and the lama kobolds. I havent tested on pvp, but I can do that tomorrow. It will all be the same result, every aoe is a square shaped perimeter covering more area than the graphic shows, or more than the recent red circle mechanic ssg just implemented on mobs.

This is the most game breaking discovery ever discovered. im like prometheus teaching fire to a bunch of monkeys who cant grasp that every employee at ssg failed wildly with every basic place a block into its correct shape baby toy. without me you would all be getting cleaved, aoe'd, standing in squares thinking life is a circle. 

im like moses to my people right now. leading them out the lie of the circle centric world ssg has created. i just red pilled the entire community. fucking neo in this bitch. look at the lines im taking. i dont even have to look, i already know im getting there on right line. I have never even seen a 1:13 before. I went straight to one fucking twelve.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:26am
Print Post  
MisterHank wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 1:20am:
And thanks for asking, I'm kinda baked so could be retarded also.

yeah, np. you seemed a little off tonight.

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #31 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:21pm:
I'm not usually chiming in to defend devs that did sometthing weird/wrong, but in that case I'm going to.

Do you have any idea how much clock cycle it takes to calculate a circle and determinse what's in it and what's not in it ( and I'm just talking 2D here ) compared to calculating what's in a square ( or any rectangle for that matter ) ?

( and I'm talking at the lowest coding level : Assembler )

You do not want to have to deal with circles if you want to avoid performance issues at some point, you really do not want.
Even the simplest algorithm dealing with circle has code that takes hundreds clock cycles to execute when for the same effect for a square/rectangle it takes barely more than ten clock cycle.

They should be similar, given that these squares are rotated based on the direction the caster is facing.

In both cases, forming a non-rotated square around the shape should be the most efficient way to eliminate 90% of candidate targets (just 4 comparisons for each target).

After that, to eliminate them down to the inner square, you need to calculate the x/y locations of all 4 lines at the x/y location of the mob and see if it's inside the bounds. This should be at least 4 multiplications, 4 comparisons, and 4 additions (unless there's a simpler method that I'm missing).

For the circle shape, you just have to check if the target is within a given distance. Using Pythagorean Theorem, this is 2 subtractions, 2 multiplications, and 1 comparison (plus one multiplication for the radius squared, but that doesn't need to be done for each target).

It is possible that they are doing a pseudo-database lookup using a spacial index. In that case, the square probably wins.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #32 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:24am:
im like moses to my people right now. leading them out the lie of the circle centric world ssg has created. i just red pilled the entire community. fucking neo in this bitch.

The cake (circle) is a lie.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
An MR-RL time. Me and Marc Rutzou. Me and fucking Marc Rutzou. That's fucking right. I skipped 1:13. I am a fucking legend. I've never SEEN a 1:13 and I never fucking will. 1:12 baby. Till the day I fucking die. YES!!! Bout time I get a fucking lucky break in this fucking game. MotherFUCKERS! And I CLUTCHED the goddamn grenade launcher. That's FUCKING right. Yeah it's this one. Right here IT'S THIS ONE! My insane pace. Right here! THIS is the 1:12. Right here! YES!!! It's fucking it. I'mma have to jus - I'mma have to find the actual whole vid off of it and I'mma have to get it. DUUUUUUUDE WHAT A RUSH! WHAT A RUUUUUSH! Watch this. Watch when I get the grenade launcher. (sorry) Look at that. See how fast my pace is? Right in the FUCKING HEAD!!! YEEEAAAHHH!! Got a FUCKING 1:12 baby. That's RIGHT! You see that CLUTCHNESS? I AM FUCKING CCC-LUTCH! Look at this fucking line i take. I'm like, YEAH BABY. Let's fucking DO this. I wait I wait I wait... Right when he starts firing to try to backboost me. The double. Body armor. Two quick ones. I already know I'm getting' there on the perfect line. LOOK AT THE FUCKING PACE! FIFTY! FOURTY-NINE! mwh FOURTY-SEVEN BABY! That's FUCKING right. That's FUCKING IT! Fucking PUMPED watching this one again. I waited the cinema too 'cause I said oh my God it might be 1:12. And it FUCKING IS!!! IT FUCKING IS baby. YEAH!!! Look at me typing you guys. You guys didn't believe me. I am typing a storm. Dude I FUCKING just got Streets 1:12! It's not fucking comin' off. YES!!! I FUCKING DID IT THAT'S RIGHT! I SKIPPED 1:13 I'M A LEGEND. I AM A FUCKING L E G E N D. I'm a FUCKING legend. (YES!) I am a fucking legend.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  

the-elite.net - Goldeneye and Perfect Dark speedruns

Ryan Lockwood's narrated replay of his record-tying 1:12 Streets Agent run with subtitles. He's narrating his run over stream to a 50+ audience, shortly after achieving it. It was the first time he or anyone else watched the run.

Hundreds know Ryan Lookwood from his Twitch stream; dozens others have met him at our annual meetup. There are a lot of, um... idiosyncratic dudes that take to speedrunning, and Ryan Lockwood is no exception. He's an intense dude, in short.

Ryan is the second person to achieve the time of 1:12 on this level. Normally record ties aren't big news, but Ryan hit this time before getting 1:13. This is absurdly unlikely. 1:12 is one of the most frame-for-frame maxed times in GoldenEye, first accomplished by Marc Rützou in 2012, a player whose made a name for grinding hard to break/set records that are daunting to match. With 20+ people sharing the old record of 1:13 in early 2012, the prospect of 1:12 was a popular debate in the forums. A $100 bounty was posted for anyone who could get this time--legitimately--and after weeks of attempts, Marc won the "race". Only a few have shown serious intentions (or even interest) in matching the feat since. Technically, Ryan isn't among them, as 1:13 was his goal. But you'll see in the video that he had a good sense of what was on the line toward the end of his run.

The nuances of "modern" Goldeneye speedrunning may be hard to detect, but the novelty of this run's unlikeliness should not be. A 1:14 run Streets is probably a 1 in 20 event, with respect to Lockwood's ability. A 1:13 absolutely requires something random (see: RNG) -- the presence of a grenade launcher guard. Let's call 1:13 a 1 in 500 event. A 1:12 run leans on "RNG factors" even more, also requiring at least 3 "boosts" from gunfire (getting shot in the pack, pushing you ahead slightly). Let's suppose 1 in 10,000 odds for 1:12, in which case you can probably expect dozens of 1:13 runs before achieving 1:12. Think of this like a statistical outlier in a distribution plot -- perhaps a few hundred data points between 74.0 and 75.0 seconds, thousands between 74.0 an 76.0, and one 72.9.

[Written by Derek Clark]

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #35 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:24am:
im like moses to my people right now. leading them out the lie of the circle centric world ssg has created.

While we're at it, ddo barrel lids aren't circular either!

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #36 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:40pm:
I feel like youre making a stronger case for the devs to use squares. I'm just baffled as o why they would choose to implement a new red-circle radius mechanic when everything is a damned square. im betting they didnt even know and just assumed everything was a circle radius.

i now legit think that every aoe in this game uses squares.

Yes  I'm making a stronger case for a square...because of coding.
Not that does not meant that by modern standard other options are not available... after all my hand on experience was in 1990 with a 68000 processor.
And we had a blast doing it once we became aware of all the wierd thins tied to clock cycle... because it involved thinking out of the box... But still the Circle was one of our nightmarethat we never manage to solve. 

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:24pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #37 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:27pm:
It is absurdly detrimental to game play in reaper where damage is lethal. In that strahd video linked in op, the player is in the direct point where both squares meet. I'm pretty sure he took x2 damage.

It wasn’t x2

R4 circles do 1800-2200 average
R6 is ~4000
R8 is 5000+

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
they just discovered that hitboxes are square

wait til they figure out that mob ai is programmed and not random

or maybe theyre the type of players who persistently push a retreating ranger in one direction until he rubber bands even after 15 years of game play

wait til they figure out that the origin of attacks and the center of hitboxs are not aligned

or maybe they like taking damage

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 10:35am
Print Post  
acidpickachu wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:18am:
It wasn’t x2

R4 circles do 1800-2200 average
R6 is ~4000
R8 is 5000+

I looked at it again and he is actually closer to the right square.

at 1:12 on vid https://youtu.be/MHnxNb-RIqI?t=12

there is a part of the circles sides that overlap in that frame. I wonder if it can deal x2 damage if someone stayed in that exact area. And if it can x2 damage, then you could test the exact area of strahd's circle. the rogue in vid could try next time to stand closer to both and a bit more to the left to see.

eighnuss wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:13am:
That bright mind of rubbinns' just discovered that all aoe are square, after the combined intellect of thousands of ddo players in the past lived in a circle

yw, my dude.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2018 at 10:38am by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 3:25am:
so, yeah, if anyone could be bothered to alert the devs and tell them theyre retarded for using circles, and that theyre ignorant of their very own game that they own.

All of the "DDO must be like D&D" people should be happy, since the last time I played D&D we used a square grid map for moving around and stuff.  We did have template circles for some round AOEs though.

Flav wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:21pm:
I'm not usually chiming in to defend devs that did sometthing weird/wrong, but in that case I'm going to.

Do you have any idea how much clock cycle it takes to calculate a circle and determinse what's in it and what's not in it ( and I'm just talking 2D here ) compared to calculating what's in a square ( or any rectangle for that matter ) ?

( and I'm talking at the lowest coding level : Assembler )

You do not want to have to deal with circles if you want to avoid performance issues at some point, you really do not want.
Even the simplest algorithm dealing with circle has code that takes hundreds clock cycles to execute when for the same effect for a square/rectangle it takes barely more than ten clock cycle.

So when they use squares for the actual AOE and draw circles for what they show the players as the false AOE, they are getting the worst of all possible worlds?  Wrong visual display and they still have to spend the 10x clocks to draw the circles?  Sounds like the solution SSG would implement.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:02pm:
That makes a lot of sense. Safe to assume cones are actually rectangles as well.

Probably more like stacked squares.  Like so:

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm:
they would need to fix the animations on every spell/aoe in the game to correctly display the true perimeter of the squared radius instead of using a misleading circle. 

Well, that should be more like "fix the subroutine that all of the AOEs call to draw their circles."  One fix, works for all spells.  I mean, I really hope they didn't have to add identical code to every f-ing aoe spell in the game.  But they couldn't have had to do that, because if they did they would never have done it.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #43 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:05pm:
So when they use squares for the actual AOE and draw circles for what they show the players as the false AOE, they are getting the worst of all possible worlds?  Wrong visual display and they still have to spend the 10x clocks to draw the circles?  Sounds like the solution SSG would implement.

Yep.
Except that the Square AOE is calculated server side while the Displayed AOE is calculated client side. And server side is really where clock cycle mattered ( when DDO came to be, in the days of monolithic,single core, single thread processors )

The sad thing is that they haven't changed it since then as nowadays clock cycles can be spread on multiple cores and threads and are only important if you want to Meltdown/Spectre.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #44 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Spell circles are drawn client-side. We can waste those few CPU clocks.

Squares are server-side calculations that saves hundreds of resources

Compare 2 values:
1<x<10
15<y<25

is much easier in CPU terms than

((x-10)^2+(y-25)^2)^0.5< 10

(and that's just on 2D plane)

So if you love lags alot go for it and force SSG to implement circles server-side.

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #45 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:53am:
Spell circles are drawn client-side. We can waste those few CPU clocks.

Squares are server-side calculations that saves hundreds of resources

Compare 2 values:
1<x<10
15<y<25

is much easier in CPU terms than

((x-10)^2+(y-25)^2)^0.5< 10

(and that's just on 2D plane)

So if you love lags alot go for it and force SSG to implement circles server-side.

Except that the square is very rarely perfectly aligned with your axes. As shown in the OP, the square rotates depending on which way the player is facing, which makes the calculation use more resources than the circle.

edit: A rectangle is probably cheaper than an arc, which would apply to melee attacks. They were probably more worried about those when designing this, given their higher frequency. I don't see a reason that they couldn't just make them use different shapes other than code reuse.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:08am by Dickbutt »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #46 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:43am
Print Post  
THis is not a new discovery.  It has been known for a long time.  I remember threads on the mobo's back in 2008 and 2009 about it.   (predating even the vault).   BB kiting discussions were the topic and how kiting outside the visible circle was the key because it gave you 4 procs per trip, depending on AI pathing.

They aren't going to change it.  Unless they re-write the game engine.(Not happening)   Just deal with it and use the knowledge to your advantage, like you do with all the other wonky physics engine stuff and geometry glitches that create safe spots and stuck spots for mobs and AI/pathing weaknesses.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:43am:
BB kiting discussions were the topic and how kiting outside the visible circle was the key because it gave you 4 procs per trip,

none of those niggas knew it was a square. show thread or never happened. stop trying to steal my shine

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
This explains something I have noticed sometimes with spot skill.

I have seen sometimes that I could see stealthed mobs further away from me to the sides, then they would dissapear when I turned to face them.

Probably the same thing.

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
shine on, you crazy diamond

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint