Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic TWF Attack Sequences And Hitboxes. (Read 1811 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

TWF Attack Sequences And Hitboxes.
Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
After I ascended like goku with my discovery of the square, my understanding of attack animations and hitboxes has evolved to god-like levels of intuitiveness with the nuances and intricacies of combat mechanics. I now hold the infinity gauntlet.

Testing twf vs hitboxes on lama showed that certain attacks in the sequence will use entirely different arcs and areas, not just directions, and often intersecting at certain directions. Every attack in the 4 basic attack animations can hit up to 4 times each

TWF basic attack animation #1 is the first in the sequence of the 4 basic attack animations used by twf. A right handed attack, it seems to arc from in between a bit north of East and slightly south of NE, and ends up reaching all the way to the west at the end of the attack range.

These spots are where your right 1st attack will never hit;

https://imgur.com/a/XBlUTOT
https://imgur.com/a/NiPQunk 

Even though it looks like it should be able to land at first look, it will miss every time. Just the first. The second attack from the left hand comes around at pretty much the same path the right used. Both attacks can hit something on the direct opposite side of where they started from. The left can hit a target directly to your right, and vice versa.

Here is the right hand 1st attack missing from the same spot and the left hand 2nd attack hitting the target directly to the far side of the hand.

https://imgur.com/a/36URMTk

This may be why some can find the style finicky and why what appears as apparent hits are actually outside of the arcs of some of the attacks in the sequence. The player has to be positioned either squarely or have the target on the deep inside of his right or left hand.

Here are the attack sequences interacting with the angles of the target's hitbox. Despite the target being behind me and to a side, all four of the attack animations in the twf sequence register hits on it. The kobold can be fully dps'd from this position, oddly. 
https://imgur.com/a/XY5M6tb

Imagine your and every other hitbox as a cube. Even attacks travel along these lines. Some angles will never register a hit ever. A not hit zone for twf.
https://imgur.com/a/PmGPM7y

The range of eligible targets is quite large and twf can hard target here and directly dps thru large crowds and target selected mobs while never hitting the others. The attacks will auto target any mob to the left, right, or center depending on your approach if you do not target something initially ( maintaining a blank targeting reticle. DoD gets a rather excellent range and is one of the best abilities in the entire game.

I tested by standing in the dojo trash room and dpsing while never targeting ( auto target off and never select a kobold ), and while hard targeting.

TWF's entire basic attack sequence area can hit every kobold here except the one left alive, untouched even.
https://imgur.com/a/upUEBjn

Same here, the back most kobold remained untouched.
https://imgur.com/a/wYr5Rdd

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:23am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: TWF Attack Sequences And Hitboxes.
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
are you on day 3, or 4, with no sleep?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
S_O_B wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 4:28pm:
are you on day 3, or 4, with no sleep?

Narrowed this down.

the 1st attack covers ne, n, nw, w.
the 2nd attack covers sw, w, nw, n, ne, e.
the 3rd and 4th attacks cover w, nw, n, ne, e. they blank at se, sw and s totally.

it occured to me after thinking of the no-hit zone pic i posted above that blanks all 4 attacks.

The issue of the first attack starting near the NE marker is a bit finicky. Creates a large blind spot on the east, se, sw, and s areas.

everything behind a tempest is largely unhittable. the se and s section are unhittable by any of the 4 animations. The sw area only gets hit by the 2nd attack in the chain.

this is evidenced by looking at the no-hit zone pic i posted in the op.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:51pm by Rubbinns »  

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Mogambo Guru
Dirty Sock

Up in ya

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Video game activity has become the norm among children and teenagers. Computers, Xboxes and handheld devices make it easy to play a game at any given time or place. While many parents may welcome the reprieve these games bring, when children spend all their time playing games, parents may want to start looking for signs of video game addiction.

Signs of video game addiction result when children and teenagers start to neglect other areas of their lives to play video games. If you as a parent are wondering whether your child may be spending too much time playing games, here are 10 signs of video game addiction to consider.

Psychological Signs of Video Game Addiction

Signs of Video Game Addiction
Don’t let a video game addiction affect your child’s well-being – know the signs of addiction!
1.Mood Shifts
A child (or teenager) who goes from being cranky to feeling calm and relaxed when playing video games may be exhibiting a sign of video game addiction. Over time, a child may start to turn to video games as a way of coping with difficult life issues.
2.Withdrawal Symptoms
When grounded from playing video games or unable to play, a child will experience feelings of anger and frustration, much like a food addict or gambler experiences withdrawal when unable to eat or gamble.
3.Preoccupation with Video Games
Preoccupation with a pursuit is a key sign of any form of addiction. Children who eat, drink, sleep and talk about video games when not engaged in the activity have become preoccupied or obsessed with it.

Physical Signs of Video Game Addiction
1.Poor Personal Hygiene
As with any addiction, teenagers become lost in the activity to the point of neglecting even the most essential daily tasks. Over time, a teenager will put less time into his or her appearance and overall cleanliness in general.
2.Physical Problems
Hours and hours of playing video games inevitably take a toll on the body; even a child’s or teenager’s body. Eyestrain will produce dry or red eyes. Soreness in the fingers, back or neck is also common. Complaints of headaches may also start to occur on a frequent basis.

Behavioral Signs of Video Game Addiction
1.Declining Interest in School Performance
As with any addictive behavior, the more a person indulges in an addictive pursuit the more he or she wants to indulge. Under these circumstances, it’s inevitable that interest in school work will start to decline.
2.Loss of Interest in Other Activities
When it comes to video games, children (or teenagers) prone to addiction will spend more and more time at the game controls. Activities once enjoyed will start to fall by the wayside as video game addiction takes hold.
3.Increased Aggression
Anyone who tries to limit or prevent the child from playing games is met with hostility and/or aggression.

Relationship Signs of Video Game Addiction
1.Isolation
A child addicted to video gaming will want to spend less and less time with friends and family. For some children/teens, excessive isolation may indicate an underlying emotional problem, such as depression, is at work.
2.Conflicts with Others
When confronted with the amount of time spent playing video games, a child will lie, blame others or become argumentative. Over time, relationships with friends and family start to suffer from neglect.

Huh Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:49pm by Mogambo Guru »  

Bigjunk wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 1:18pm:
BTW . . . I'm president of the KNN fanclub, troll a different post please.   

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
tl;dr. you want the targets in the ne all the way through to the west. behind you and to your right are large blind spots.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:53pm:
I have narrowed this down tonight. For builds without access to 90 or 100% offhand, they will never have a 4th attack in a basic attack sequence. once the % reaches 90 it gives a small chance at 4th attack. At 100% offhand attack it gives a slightly larger chance at a 4th attack proccing on every attack. Appears to be 10% and 20%. Explains why monks get up to 4, due to the 10% in shintao cores, and 100% in meditation of war wind stance.

this is wrong. the 4th attack will proc on 80% offhand build, just the chance to get the 4th is a lot lower compared to 100% offhand, and large offhand doublestrike builds.

100% offhand is just that. 2 hits every attack base. doublestrike and offhand doublestrike are the other 2 attacks for 3 and 4. works just like monk.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:22am by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Mogambo Guru
Dirty Sock

Up in ya

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  

Wink Wink Wink

Bigjunk wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 1:18pm:
BTW . . . I'm president of the KNN fanclub, troll a different post please.   

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Monks don't have that blank spot to their right. But otherwise monks largely share the same area with their basic attacks as ranger. The slight misalignment of any twfers 1st right hand attack and, the slight dip behind the twfers left when using their 2nd attack animation is definitely misaligned. there isn't any reason for it. adjust to the right, sgg.

it isn't much of an issue in pve, but in pvp you could prolly just circle to the right against every twfer and have a very high chance of manually evading the first attack. It also can make players miss their first activated attack if the mob circles to their right. since it is the first attack in any opening animation ( when starting every encounter ), your activated attacks might miss and that is vital, stunning blow and w/e else needs to hit to work become liabilities randomly or when wading into mobs to make use of DoD.   
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:27pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint