Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Melee Buff (Read 11613 times)
Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Re: Melee Buff
Reply #25 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
There's a new post by Torc discussing reducing the HP value to 5% per feat, for a total of 25% and calling into question whether the change will make it live at all.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
they also said that they can increase the challenge in r6+ skulls. which they probably should, as constant updates, tweaks, nerfs, and fixes maintains a healthier meta. and they can introduce new things for reapers to do tactically/spell-wise/buffs.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #27 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Torc's post earlier today pretty much showed that he's been reading feedback and is actually willing to listen to it.

I was a fan of him back before he left and I was happy to see him back when they became SSG. He's a legitimately solid dev, arguably the best we've ever had.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 3:33am
Print Post  
@Pseudonym

I feel the same.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 9:30pm:
they also said that they can increase the challenge in r6+ skulls. which they probably should, as constant updates, tweaks, nerfs, and fixes maintains a healthier meta. and they can introduce new things for reapers to do tactically/spell-wise/buffs.

It's a vicious cycle.  Introduce new reaper mode.  Reward reaper play with reaper enhancements.  Discover to your shock and surprise that characters with a pile of reaper enhancement can make high reaper play trivial.  Introduce new harder reaper mode.

Game design escapes them.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Rickyretardo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 7:01am:
It's a vicious cycle.  Introduce new reaper mode.  Reward reaper play with reaper enhancements.  Discover to your shock and surprise that characters with a pile of reaper enhancement can make high reaper play trivial.  Introduce new harder reaper mode.

It's a circle that needs to happen in an MMO. I used to play PnP 2nd edition, so the game didn't go south when tanks started to sport 7k hitpoints (9 times more than a freaking tarrasque! (5th edition) Shocked)

This game started to derail when they changed up the enhancements to be more WoW-like.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #31 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
It's a vicious cycle

It is a vicious cycle. You post something retarded. People point out you posted something retarded. You try to deflect and defend your opinion with some tangential one off information. KNN shits in his hand and smears it on the screen to remember us what retarded really means...

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #32 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Rickyretardo wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 7:52am:
It's a circle that needs to happen in an MMO. I used to play PnP 2nd edition, so the game didn't go south when tanks started to sport 7k hitpoints (9 times more than a freaking tarrasque! (5th edition) Shocked)

This game started to derail when they changed up the enhancements to be more WoW-like.

From a game design perspective that was the right move. It broadened the appeal and removed some of the confusion from the previous system. The issue is it however built the tiers and the asinine point requirements.

Let alone the general change in power design further fucked the system. Had they merely translated the old to the new during MotU without the first pass, things would have been better.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #33 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 2:43am:
Torc's post earlier today pretty much showed that he's been reading feedback and is actually willing to listen to it.

Pretty sure listening to feedback violates the company's mission statement.

Pseudonym wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 2:43am:
I was a fan of him back before he left and I was happy to see him back when they became SSG. He's a legitimately solid dev, arguably the best we've ever had.

Remember, his closest competition is a summer intern.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #34 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 3:15pm:
It is a vicious cycle. You post something retarded. People point out you posted something retarded. You try to deflect and defend your opinion with some tangential one off information. KNN shits in his hand and smears it on the screen to remember us what retarded really means...

I think you just won the internet today.  By far the most accurate summarization of his posts.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2018 at 9:56pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #35 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 9:56pm:
I think you just won the internet today.  By far the most accurate summarization of his posts.

Not bad considering "remember us" should be "remind us" but fuck it, I can afford to decide "today is get shitfaced and shit post day"

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #36 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  

A)  Reaper mode is not "trivial".   The people claiming it is are trolls.   Elite has been trivial for years.  Trivial is when even a moderately knowledgeable player with a moderately geared toon with little or a few past lives can complete ANY and ALL content on that difficulty with ANY class solo with NO risk of a single death, let alone failure, and do so in the same time it would take to run an easier difficulty.

R10 does not fit that description.  R10 still requires either a specific(few) builds in specific (few) quests by a handful of skilled/knowledgeable players to be completed solo.  And then not in the same time period you could run R1-R5.  Most completions are full/mostly full groups with players satisfying specific roles and working in some coordination.   Death is common.  Failure is a possibility (or high resource cost for recoveries) if the group is not up to snuff.   

That's not trivialized content.

B)  This change, which I would have done differently were I developing it, is designed to target a specific issue which exists in some content, not just reaper, that disproportionately affects a subset of builds/classes.   It's a balance pass.   The problem is that the methodology in question is flawed and builds are so varied that it is very difficult to target the builds you want to provide a benefit to.   

C)  One of the biggest community feedback issues will be builds/classes this change is not intended for thinking it should be intended for them.  Ranged and casters will see "ooohhh  HPs!!!!!  I gotta have that.  I deserve to  have that.  SSG is screwing me by nerfing my character when I get the HPs!!!!!"    No dumbass.   The HP are not for you.      (That's part of why this solution is flawed.  You need one that clearly keeps it where you want it to be)

D)  It is possible that the better solution is to make changes on the content side in the particularly problematic content.  (Hint.  It's not R10 6 man content or high skulls in general.  If you think this is about high skulls/R10, then you don't know what you are talking about.  Time to keep quiet and learn first or ask questions and learn first before spouting off your opinion)

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:08pm:
B)  This change, which I would have done differently were I developing it, is designed to target a specific issue which exists in some content, not just reaper, that disproportionately affects a subset of builds/classes.   It's a balance pass.   The problem is that the methodology in question is flawed and builds are so varied that it is very difficult to target the builds you want to provide a benefit to.   

C)  One of the biggest community feedback issues will be builds/classes this change is not intended for thinking it should be intended for them.  Ranged and casters will see "ooohhh  HPs!!!!!  I gotta have that.  I deserve to  have that.  SSG is screwing me by nerfing my character when I get the HPs!!!!!"    No dumbass.   The HP are not for you.      (That's part of why this solution is flawed.  You need one that clearly keeps it where you want it to be)

Haha, balance pass, because melee are in need for help right? Sorry but you no matter how much hp you distribute around, you can't balance low iq.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2019 at 7:24pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #38 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:51pm:
Here is the problem: what you actually have to balance is the power vets/hardcore have. That is what is making r10 trivial. It's so much power people don't care what the fuck they're bringing and doing in R10, just destroy everything while playing drunk. For me that's the definition of trivialized. So they have to look at this instead of buffing melees.

Close, but not quite.

What they want to balance, but will never be able to, is player skill, at least not without dumbing down the game to the point that all the good players get bored at the lack of challenge and quit.  Skilled players are what make R10 trivial, not this build or that build.  Change the builds and the good players will find the new meta while the bad players continue crying about the same stupid, incorrect crap they do now.

Another way to put it is, you could give a full group of mouth-breathers from the mobos (Chai, Fran, etc.) quadruple-triple completionist reaper capable toons and they'd still fail completely and utterly at end-game R10.  Give a full group of the players in those high-skull Baba and Strahd completions first-life toons with a full set of RL gear, and they'd clear the same R10s without trouble (and probably be drunk while doing it).

Coding can't fix stupid and there's a lot of stupid on the mobos.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:53pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:51pm:
Give a full group of the players in those high-skull Baba and Strahd completions first-life toons with a full set of RL gear, and they'd clear the same R10s without trouble (and probably be drunk while doing it).

sort of. there would be no r10 strahd, or r7 babas.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #40 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:06pm:

Yes, this is probably true.  The tank/s would probably need PLs.  The rest would be doable.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:22pm:
Yes, this is probably true.  The tank/s would probably need PLs.  The rest would be doable.

there also might be some niche cases where SR on trash is too high for the dc casters.

the dps difference is also vast. there was someone i was arguing with here that tried telling me past lives dont contribute to that much dps ( i had to legit breakdown every single point of dps past lives provided ). Put it like this, the difference between a first life character dps racing on lama vs symb is around 10-20 seconds depending on the build. With fighters and barbs coming in way slower than tempest and rogues.

mega toon rogue sub 20. 1st life rogue low 30s.
mega toon fighter or 18 2m sub 20. 1st life mid 30s
mega toon tempest sub 20. 1st life high 20s. 

That is double the dps in most cases. 14-15k vs 28-30k.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:37pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #42 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:08pm:
A)  Reaper mode is not "trivial".   The people claiming it is are trolls.   Elite has been trivial for years.  Trivial is when even a moderately knowledgeable player with a moderately geared toon with little or a few past lives can complete ANY and ALL content on that difficulty with ANY class solo with NO risk of a single death, let alone failure, and do so in the same time it would take to run an easier difficulty.

I agreed with a fair amount of your post, but I'd like to point out that you don't get to decide what trivial means in this context and then call everyone who disagrees with your definition a troll.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:51pm:
Close, but not quite.

What they want to balance, but will never be able to, is player skill, at least not without dumbing down the game to the point that all the good players get bored at the lack of challenge and quit.  Skilled players are what make R10 trivial, not this build or that build.

When I refer to this "everyone else" of course I don't mean idiots like Tilo and Fran, but normal people with decent IQ but who doesn't shine because they don't have godlike characters.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2019 at 7:23pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:33pm:
there also might be some niche cases where SR on trash is too high for the dc casters.

the dps difference is also vast. there was someone i was arguing with here that tried telling me past lives dont contribute to that much dps ( i had to legit breakdown every single point of dps past lives provided ). Put it like this, the difference between a first life character dps racing on lama vs symb is around 10-20 seconds depending on the build. With fighters and barbs coming in way slower than tempest and rogues.

mega toon rogue sub 20. 1st life rogue low 30s.
mega toon fighter or 18 2m sub 20. 1st life mid 30s
mega toon tempest sub 20. 1st life high 20s. 

That is double the dps in most cases. 14-15k vs 28-30k.

I was arguing that the difference was not all from pl and also that one shouldn't take kolbold tests as real game dps (people don't test a build, they build for a test), but ofc I agree past lives help a lot with dps. The difference is even greater when it comes to defense, because a character with less defense has to sacrifice dps to survive, and the game is in a so terrible situation that even if do build for more survivability, the grinded out guy will have more survivability in his full dps focused build.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:11pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #45 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:33pm:

I'm wasn't saying PLs don't make a noticeable difference.  I'm just saying skilled players would make it work because they play smart either way and would compensate for the differences instead of just relying on raw power, even if it was a bit slower.

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:03pm:
Well you can see what happens when skilled players log their alts. They don't dominate content,  they just become normal like everyone else who isn't a bad. R10 with a group of skilled players but without all the power is not trivial, it becomes a "not 100% guaranteed completion" and you can actually not zerg.

When I refer to this "everyone else" of course I don't mean idiots like Tilo and Fran, but normal people with decent IQ but who doesn't shine because they don't have godlike characters. For example I remeber a guy in my server who started the game last year, he was good and stuff, always welcomed in R10 parties and we would send him tells to join and the like, but he would always be dwarfed by the sheer power of the older.

Intrestingly when you talk about baba and strahd achievements those are the ones I most respect lately because by watching the videos it doesn't look like the majority there had a lot of uber stats, and these raids actually require intelligence. But when I see a group of people with wings claiming they did something exceptional I can only lol

I've been in plenty of R8-10 groups where skilled players were running low PL alts and they stilled rolled through missions far faster than even the average players with multi-pletionists do.  From what I've seen, most average players with mutli-plentionist toons generally avoid R8+ because they're at least smart enough to know not to bite off more than they can handle.

And yes, of course if you put a skilled player on a first lifer against a skilled player with a quadpletionist toon, there will be noticeable differences.  If there weren't, it would really make the TR train that people grind out a massive waste of time.  But that doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day, a top-tier player on a first-lifer is > a bad or even average player on a multi-pletionist.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:53pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:10pm:
I was arguing that the difference was not all from pl and also that one shouldn't take kolbold tests as real game dps (people don't test a build, they build for a test), but ofc I agree past lives help a lot with dps.

agreed, but the difference between a game build and a kobold racer is not that different depending on the build. tempest, for example, is almost point for point the same as it would be in game. Pretty much true for barbs, too.

Very few ap are different. The most an in game build would differ from a pure kobold racing spec'd build is around a handful of ap. Like, dropping assassinate on rogue, or not taking stalwart on fighter.

Digimonk wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
I'm wasn't saying PLs don't make a noticeable difference.  I'm just saying skilled players could make it work because they play smart and will compensate for the differences instead of just relying on raw power, even if it was a bit slower.

No, i know. I was just stating that I regularly get smashed by someone with reaper wings on my server that has limited knowledge of what mobs even do, how to build and gear properly, or how to use optimal rotations and abilities. the guy solos r6 grim while getting carried purely by past lives, reaper points and smarter people gearing and building him. meanwhile if that same player makes his own build, or was on a character before all this power was acquired; he would be shit tier.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #47 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:38pm:
I agreed with a fair amount of your post, but I'd like to point out that you don't get to decide what trivial means in this context and then call everyone who disagrees with your definition a troll.

That's fine.  I'm sure we could quibble over the definition of trivial for hours.  It is certainly something with some degree of subjectivity.   

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #48 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:06pm:

R10 Strahd.   Roll Eyes

Lol.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 4:53pm:
R10 Strahd.   Roll Eyes

Lol. 

gland did it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint