Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era? (Read 46829 times)
Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Re: Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era?
Reply #100 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
I did all that stuff, VoD wasn't much fun and the rewards were nil unless you were one of 3 classes and builds that made use of the gear. HoX was a pain to run to just like VoD with just as much useless junk. Dragontouched armor would have been cool if running SoS wasn't a joyless slog and a pain to flag for and to make it the way you wanted took forever of rng just like that abysmal s/s/s system for epic loot. Reaver's raid wasn't even cap stuff just something to do to get more circumstantial TR loot.

TRing was terrible even as a second life, and waiting out a 7 day raid timer for people to gather and fill a ToD run made hanging out at cap garbage, and nobody wanted a bard anywhere near epic content because it wasn't good enough at anything so they would wait for a proper healer/caster/dps.

So yeah, now you can make any class and contribute to even top tier content whereas you had to fit into one of the 3 boxes before and only a few classes and prestieges were good for that, so I still stand by there being more meaningful choices that you can make now vs. then so you'd have to show me where i'm wrong.

Im digging that subtle troll. Also "healer/caster/dps" is 100% of the classes. I dont see how that would be fotm.

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #101 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 1:03am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 12:57am:
When the hell were raid timers 7 days? I was playing pre MOTU when cap was 20 and they were always 3. I actually capped 4 characters so I could always do a Shroud pre bypass-timers Tongue

Hes just trolling lol Dude thinks a class archetype is fotm

DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #102 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Heres a look at the raids

Raids:
  • eChrono: Best in slots, +4 tomes  
  • eDQ: Best in slots, +4 tomes
  • EVoN: Best in slots, +4 tomes
  • ToD: Best in slots, +4 tomes (most reliable)
  • LoB: Best in slots, +4 tomes
  • Abbot: Best in slots, +3 tomes
  • Shroud: Best in slots, +3 tomes
  • Reaver: Madstone boots, +3 tomes 
  • VoD: Tharnes goggles, +3 tomes
  • HoX: Shields, +3 tomes
  • MA: Alchemical blanks

Another miss step one could argue along with raid timer bypasses is the release of +3 tomes in the DDO store. It removed all incentive for players who already had the chaser items from running reavers, hox, vod, and even shroud. Instead of farming the 20th for a +3 tome, they just bought them.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/344526-3-Stats-tome-Yes-or-no   Heres a 24 page thread of what people thought about them adding the +3 tomes to the store.

I also looked into what it takes to make a mmo emulator. Found some interesting reads.

http://forum.ragezone.com/f144/mmo-emulator-development-592097/

http://cellframework.sourceforge.net/uploads/Introduction%20to%20Server%20Side%2...

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #103 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
well god forbid there be a wizard that cast anything other than mass hold, or a sorc that did anything other than nuke, ect. so yeah there was rigid requirements that you have to be absolutely razor focused into whatever everybody deemed the class best suited for. I'm sure I'm not the only one that heard a collective groan when someone would join as a "battle cleric".

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #104 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
well god forbid there be a wizard that cast anything other than mass hold, or a sorc that did anything other than nuke, ect. so yeah there was rigid requirements that you have to be absolutely razor focused into whatever everybody deemed the class best suited for. I'm sure I'm not the only one that heard a collective groan when someone would join as a "battle cleric".

These "Rigid requirements" are in every single holy trinity mmo. Which ddo was at the time. When a healer joins, we expect them to heal. Not dps. We have dps for that. Casters primary role was CC but could also instakill and dps. Dpsers only goal was to dps. If you play outside of what the devs intended thats on you.

Since MotU launched you were expected to have good survivability, self healing, and ranged aoe dps. This destroyed healers and single target dps builds. While making the game soloable it created superior fotm builds.   

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #105 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
well god forbid there be a wizard that cast anything other than mass hold,

I never saw a wizard cast mass hold in those days. I didn't even have it prepped for my wizard. Are you sure you were even playing during that era?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #106 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 2:41pm:

There's been enough open source projects to borrow from that it wouldn't be a huge challenge. Its true that it would be a lot of work, though.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #107 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:50pm:
I never saw a wizard cast mass hold in those days. I didn't even have it prepped for my wizard. Are you sure you were even playing during that era?

There was the mass hold + Dreamspitter cheese combo that got mainstream shortly after Update 7. Turbine quickly squashed this three months later with update 9 by changing how held worked. Instead of auto-crits it turned into +50% extra damage. Since Dreamspitter had lifestealing. Each crit would lower the mobs level by 1d3. So every swing on a held mob would have its level lowered 1d3. 

iirc a 38 dc was the bare minimum for cc casters in epic. 42 was preferred. Mass hold was still commonly used although disco ball and web were more popular. 

noamineo wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:59pm:
There's been enough open source projects to borrow from that it wouldn't be a huge challenge. Its true that it would be a lot of work, though.

Ive been interested in learning C. If I get serious ill be sure to post something on the subject.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2018 at 6:09pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #108 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:09am:
These "Rigid requirements" are in every single holy trinity mmo. Which ddo was at the time. When a healer joins, we expect them to heal. Not dps. We have dps for that. Casters primary role was CC but could also instakill and dps. Dpsers only goal was to dps. If you play outside of what the devs intended thats on you.

Since MotU launched you were expected to have good survivability, self healing, and ranged aoe dps. This destroyed healers and single target dps builds. While making the game soloable it created superior fotm builds.   

DDO was trinity style game? since when? i mean that's what the meta devolved into which invalidated alot of the work to make a game that wasn't trinity based. but no if you want to stick with a shitty trinity game wow clone piece of shit then there's plenty of fuckin terrible games to play.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #109 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
You can play a game with a group and tactics without having to be reductive to a trinity.   

Trinity roles are just one option for solving tough encounters.  One that is easily understood.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #110 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Quote:

DDO was trinity style game? since when? i mean that's what the meta devolved into which invalidated alot of the work to make a game that wasn't trinity based.

I have no clue what the devs originally designed the game for back in 05. I started playing in 09 so thats what the meta was. Realistically speaking. How else would one tackle the hardest content? I applaud ddo for not requiring max hp sword and board tanks for every boss encounter. A simple THF barb could tank everything pre-motu. So besides tanks not being cliche. How would one go about completing the hardest content? Since healers have limited SP the obvious choice was the most efficient. The holy trinity.

Its different with quests. You never really needed a tank. You usually just had a healer, cc, and rest dps. You had plenty of shrines. There was the odd exception. You probably wanted at least a barb or fighter with decent hp for say epic deeps or atdq.

So it could be fair to say it was a hybrid meta.

Quote:
but no if you want to stick with a shitty trinity game wow clone piece of shit then there's plenty of fuckin terrible games to play.

The "holy trinity" system was perfectly fine. Especially since any high hp build that could hold aggro was a "tank". As well as most encounters never even needing a tank. The issue with WoW is how casual it is and the shit combat. Its so bad. Theres positive and negitives to both systems (classic vs motu). Waiting for healers sucked but it allowed us to focus on just one thing. Dps only cared about maximizing dps. Motu made the content more accessible but required all builds to focus on survivability, healing, and dps. Which destroyed healers and single target dps builds. Just now healers are making a small come back with reaper.

Asheras wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:21pm:
You can play a game with a group and tactics without having to be reductive to a trinity.   

Trinity roles are just one option for solving tough encounters.  One that is easily understood.

The only unique case would have to be eDQ. Instead of the usual intimitank with a no fail intimidate. The spartan method became more common and was actually better at times. At the very least it was easier to form a group. The only issue was lag on the heals. Doing this method outside of eDQ is a waste of resources. Trinity is usually the most efficient way to solve the hardest challenges.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:05am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #111 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:17am
Print Post  
so you're saying that post motu made builds more flexible? weird how that's what i was saying and you say it like it's a terrible thing that the game stopped being all strict trinity garbage shit.  Cool

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #112 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:40pm:
There was the mass hold + Dreamspitter cheese combo that got mainstream shortly after Update 7. Turbine quickly squashed this three months later with update 9 by changing how held worked. Instead of auto-crits it turned into +50% extra damage. Since Dreamspitter had lifestealing. Each crit would lower the mobs level by 1d3. So every swing on a held mob would have its level lowered 1d3. 

iirc a 38 dc was the bare minimum for cc casters in epic. 42 was preferred. Mass hold was still commonly used although disco ball and web were more popular. 

Ive been interested in learning C. If I get serious ill be sure to post something on the subject.

You keep saying Dreamspitter, but it was actually called "Woo-woo stick"

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #113 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:40pm:

I've been interested too, maybe we can be study buddies Tongue

Asheras wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:21pm:

WoW was trinity-style enforced to the nth degree. You could solo or run an unbalanced group, sort of, but if you were going to do dungeons you HAD to have Tank/DPS/Healer, to the point where if your class was not one of those three, you didn't even need to bother replying to LFMs. Pickup raids? Forget about it. MAYBE if they had a slot to fill and there were already 10 rogues in the party(rogue was THE DPS class). And loot? You didn't get to roll on it if you weren't a "usefull" class, you got the leftovers if nobody else wanted it.

So yeah, even in at it's worst DDO was way better than that. You could shortman content with the trinity, but as long as you had a full party and someone with the ability to heal, you could pretty much take on anything.

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:04am:
Trinity is usually the most efficient way to solve the hardest challenges.

I disagree. Even pre-MOTU you could easily get by without a dedicated tank as long as you had a healer. Healer wasw really the most valued class because everyone else could just go apeshit. Also mages were pretty fucking awesome. I remember a few times where a wizard just went all-out and wrecked a pack of mobs with a combination of CC and AOE. I *guess* you could call that DPS, but man, good times...

I think I may need to dust off my wizard and get him into some modern gear...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #114 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I concur with the Healer statements...

Before MoTU you could basically go through almost any content with 5 toons of whatever class and build and a Healer. ( or 10 and 2 healersfor Raids )
Sure in some cases it was going to take some time and be painful for the healers. But it could be done.

Since MoTU healers became pointless.

Note that Healers include : Clerics, Bards, Favored Souls and to a lesser extend Artificers.

Now sadly, the game as changed so much that it's pointless to make a healer.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #115 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:39pm:
Not the case pre-motu. TRing was insane. Especially for a 'Legend' TR. You had to milk the quests dry. Im talking doing normal x10, hard x1, elite x1 and sometimes even casual x1. Quests never reset xp. So if you completed a quest two times. You would have a -10% xp repeating penalty forever. Also capping a 'legend' back then was 4375000 xp.

Update 11 brought bravery bonus. Which helped.

"Doing every quest once on elite already gives more than enough XP to TR." was true as soon as BB came out. That was the design goal of BB, IIRC. But yes, each new xp bonus and content pack increases the margin.

Quote:
Quests never reset xp. So if you completed a quest two times. You would have a -10% xp repeating penalty forever.

Yes, I recall. That persisted some time after MotU as the non-resetting was what enabled everyone to level cap and then run Impossible Demands a million times to cap EDs.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2018 at 2:51pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #116 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 1:55pm:

Before MoTU you could basically go through almost any content with 5 toons of whatever class and build and a Healer. ( or 10 and 2 healersfor Raids )
Sure in some cases it was going to take some time and be painful for the healers. But it could be done.

Note that Healers include : Clerics, Bards, Favored Souls and to a lesser extend Artificers.

You basically just needed a way to recover hit points faster than the potions available without silver flame favor. Which, at higher levels, you'd have to sit and chug for quite a while to get anywhere. A healer, even a Paladin, could just hold back on the shrine, top everyone off till they ran out of SP, and then shrine, and everyone is back in business. Even gimped as fuck with no hirelings, my friend and I could two-man most content by having him be a barbarian and me a paladin(we were both terrifyingly bad multi-class mixes). Granted, that's all still possible.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #117 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:09am:

Game was already soloable. Solo started being boring when they implemented scaling.

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:04am:
How would one go about completing the hardest content?

Kite. Perch. Spend 8 hrs. per quest snipe/bluffing one mob at a time. Remember only to die within range of a shrine. Pray to the gods of AI derp that your hireling pulls the lever before the heat death of the universe.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #118 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 5:47pm:
Kite. Perch. Spend 8 hrs. per quest snipe/bluffing one mob at a time. Remember only to die within range of a shrine. Pray to the gods of AI derp that your hireling pulls the lever before the heat death of the universe.

I remember doing all of this because I couldn't figure out how to use the LFM system. Ah, memories...

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #119 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 6:24pm
Print Post  

Dont calling myself very big but:
A) I cant play r10 without healer. Well, I can, but it will take ages and with a lot if deathes. Im currently a tank and champs hit me for 600-1600. If there none who can heal this damage fast enough Ill just die in several seconds and rest of the party will be oneshot.
B) I do play holy trinity on higher skulls and I cheese myslef this way with inti-tanking. Whats wrong with it? Ofc you can fo 6 monks and cheese your higher skulls, but they'll die a lot and will fail in most content until played by really good players and farmed toons.
C) healers are not pointless to play. Healer is wellcomed in literally any party, cause noone like hirelings. Healera are pointless to farm lifes. And thats what 80% of people do. Most cant power creep as healer, especially solo.
D) on lower skulls I see it a lot: a healer or two and 4-5 whatever classes. Yet yes, nowdays on lower skulls you dont really need dedicated healer with cocoons, renewal, loh.

So basically I dont understand what is it about. Game gives you a choice. Wanna go trinity? It works. Dont wanna? Go and build whatever you want, just dont whine the way your cheese it is worse than another guy do :-D

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #120 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 6:24pm:
Dont calling myself very big but:
A) I cant play r10 without healer. Well, I can, but it will take ages and with a lot if deathes. Im currently a tank and champs hit me for 600-1600. If there none who can heal this damage fast enough Ill just die in several seconds and rest of the party will be oneshot.
B) I do play holy trinity on higher skulls and I cheese myslef this way with inti-tanking. Whats wrong with it? Ofc you can fo 6 monks and cheese your higher skulls, but they'll die a lot and will fail in most content until played by really good players and farmed toons.
C) healers are not pointless to play. Healer is wellcomed in literally any party, cause noone like hirelings. Healera are pointless to farm lifes. And thats what 80% of people do. Most cant power creep as healer, especially solo.
D) on lower skulls I see it a lot: a healer or two and 4-5 whatever classes. Yet yes, nowdays on lower skulls you dont really need dedicated healer with cocoons, renewal, loh.

So basically I dont understand what is it about. Game gives you a choice. Wanna go trinity? It works. Dont wanna? Go and build whatever you want, just dont whine the way your cheese it is worse than another guy do :-D

Post-MOTU but pre-reaper, dedicated healers were pointless because everyone had self-healing. Reaper has brought the necessity for healers back into the game by severely crippling self-healing. This annoys a lot of people because it was a rather sudden and painful shift in meta; the devs had spent years shifting the game away from trinity, then suddenly decided "Nope, we want that back!"

And frankly Reaper doesn't even really require trinity, it just requires people to heal each other(or have a dedicated healer) and the game development hasn't shifted to catch up to the suddenly altered meta.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #121 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
so you're saying that post motu made builds more flexible? weird how that's what i was saying and you say it like it's a terrible thing that the game stopped being all strict trinity garbage shit.  Cool

No. Content is more accessible because the devs gave us viable self sufficiency. After motu builds were pigeonholed into requiring survivability, self healing, and ranged aoe dps. This excluded many classes that were playable pre-motu.

Munkenmo wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 3:39am:
You keep saying Dreamspitter, but it was actually called "Woo-woo stick"

lmao yes

noamineo wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:07pm:
I've been interested too, maybe we can be study buddies Tongue

We might be the only hope to hedge against the inevitable.

noamineo wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:07pm:
I disagree. Even pre-MOTU you could easily get by without a dedicated tank as long as you had a healer. Healer was really the most valued class because everyone else could just go apeshit.

For the majority of content, yes. The only raids that required a "tank" were VoD, ToD, eChrono, eLob and HoX. Quests that required "tanks" were even more rare. eDeeps and eAtdq come to mind. The great thing was that a "tank" is literally any build that can hold aggro and not die.

Healers arent the only ones that got hit too. Rogues for example were complete garbage after motu.

5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 2:50pm:
"Doing every quest once on elite already gives more than enough XP to TR." was true as soon as BB came out. That was the design goal of BB, IIRC. But yes, each new xp bonus and content pack increases the margin.

BB definitely lessened running every quest 10 times each. Although you still had to do that on the best xp/min quest each level or so.

5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 2:50pm:
Yes, I recall. That persisted some time after MotU as the non-resetting was what enabled everyone to level cap and then run Impossible Demands a million times to cap EDs.

Update 19 is when they brought in the quest reset mechanic. I remember after motu launched everyone would farm that one house c challenge over and over. Devs nerfed it quick.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #122 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Basically people ITT realize they miss Fernando running DDO.

XD

IP Logged

Teth
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #123 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:13pm:
Basically people ITT realize they miss http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Fernando4.png running DDO.

XD

And the offer wall!

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #124 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Teth wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
And the offer wall!

Bring Fernando back, he'll let these guys have their DDO classic server once they complete 7 offers each.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Send TopicPrint