Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era? (Read 46835 times)
Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Re: Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era?
Reply #125 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 8:55pm:
No. Content is more accessible because the devs gave us viable self sufficiency. After motu builds were pigeonholed into requiring survivability, self healing, and ranged aoe dps. This excluded many classes that were playable pre-motu.

are you sure you're talking about DDO? because it doesn't seem like you know DDO at all.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #126 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
are you sure you're talking about DDO? because it doesn't seem like you know DDO at all.

This coming from the guy who's been consistently wrong for the entire thread Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #127 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 8:55pm:
BB definitely lessened running every quest 10 times each. Although you still had to do that on the best xp/min quest each level or so.

People still did that....They didn't need to, but they absolutely did do that.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #128 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
People still did that....They didn't need to, but they absolutely did do that.

The XP-per-min thing came about as a result of XP potions, which caused its own problems. Instead of running at higher difficulties or bigger payouts, the most "efficient" method became figuring out which quests were offered the fastest completions for the biggest payouts.

It was another great example of the gulf between "how the devs think players play" and how players actually play. They WANT everyone to be challenging themselves on the highest difficulties, but then create systems that reward playing on lower settings(see: xp/min, tiered difficulty items, 20th completions, drop rates, etc).

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #129 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 1:56pm:
This coming from the guy who's been consistently wrong for the entire thread Tongue

consistently wrong? i wouldn't go that far, my numbers may be off a bit because i don't give a fuck about being that level of right all the time. The rest of everything i said was pretty spot on. you just don't like it.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #130 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 3:56pm:
The XP-per-min thing came about as a result of XP potions, which caused its own problems. Instead of running at higher difficulties or bigger payouts, the most "efficient" method became figuring out which quests were offered the fastest completions for the biggest payouts.

It was another great example of the gulf between "how the devs think players play" and how players actually play. They WANT everyone to be challenging themselves on the highest difficulties, but then create systems that reward playing on lower settings(see: xp/min, tiered difficulty items, 20th completions, drop rates, etc).

They don't want anybody to do anything other than play the game, and they want to give approximately the same experience of playing the game to people to whom challenge is normal difficulty. They are already aware of people seeking out the best return on their time investment, and they don't care because that's just people playing the game the way they want to play it. As long as people are enjoying the game it's pure win. The problem is when whiny little twatbaskets show up and say that the best reward per time invested isn't challenging enough and they can't find enough people to do challenging shit with them because they are whiny little twatbaskets who min/max everybody coming through the door because they have an ideal of what the perfect situation to make challenge less challenging is. That's why I hated the fuck out of old epics and most top tier raids because it was a bunch of whiny fucks complaining that your toon only had 300hp and how the hell could you contribute if you didn't have at least 400hp like everybody in his imaginary friends list.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #131 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 6:18pm:
I remember doing all of this because I couldn't figure out how to use the LFM system. Ah, memories...

Huh. I played solo because I did figure out the LFM system....

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #132 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:52pm:
Huh. I played solo because I did figure out the LFM system....

I wouldn't have been much use in a group anyway Tongue I was dual-wielding bastard swords with no twf feats. On a paladin. With a couple sorcerer levels. I was exactly the guy you were avoiding. And yet, in many ways... it was my favorite time playing.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #133 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:59pm:
I wouldn't have been much use in a group anyway  I was dual-wielding bastard swords with no twf feats. On a paladin. With a couple sorcerer levels. I was exactly the guy you were avoiding. And yet, in many ways... it was my favorite time playing.

Yes and no. I was avoiding exactly everyone. In game, I just hate people. Build/playstyle/competence has nothing to do with it. If you talked to me, I hated you. Keep mostly quiet? Sometimes I could tolerate that.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #134 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 6:52pm:
Yes and no. I was avoiding exactly everyone. In game, I just hate people. Build/playstyle/competence has nothing to do with it. If you talked to me, I hated you. Keep mostly quiet? Sometimes I could tolerate that.

I'm not much of a people person either. I like MMOs for the persistent world and the usually much better gameplay dynamics. I like being around people but not interacting with them. So yeah, that I get.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #135 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
The problem is when whiny little twatbaskets show up and say that the best reward per time invested isn't challenging enough and they can't find enough people to do challenging shit with them because they are whiny little twatbaskets who min/max everybody coming through the door because they have an ideal of what the perfect situation to make challenge less challenging is.

No, the problem is when a few game designers put together systems that they believe to be of rock star quality while failing both basic math and the concept of understanding the ramifications of their design.

Then when whiny little twatbaskets show up and say that shit is fucked up and in some cases provide math to demonstrate it, they are often too proud and/or stupid to understand that they got it wrong and then fix it.

For the most part.  In some ways they are getting better, such as replacing 20th lists with raid runes.  You want a specific piece of loot, but you also want to run on normal because you suck?  Ok, but you get fewer runes per run so enjoy your grind since you can't be bothered or don't have the skill to run on elite.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #136 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 10:55am:
No, the problem is when a few game designers put together systems that they believe to be of rock star quality while failing both basic math and the concept of understanding the ramifications of their design.

When has any company that added to their product ever foreseen the consequences of it's action? That's trying to put them on god level shit. I don't know of anybody that's ever implemented a thing that didn't fuck up somewhere on the line and create unintended results. Pepsi fuckin Crystal dude.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #137 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
When has any company that added to their product ever foreseen the consequences of it's action? That's trying to put them on god level shit. I don't know of anybody that's ever implemented a thing that didn't fuck up somewhere on the line and create unintended results. Pepsi fuckin Crystal dude.

Yeah, Pepsi stopped that shit.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #138 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 10:55am:

Quote:

Then when whiny little twatbaskets show up and say that shit is fucked up and in some cases provide math to demonstrate it, they are often too proud and/or stupid to understand that they got it wrong and then fix it.

For the most part.  In some ways they are getting better, such as replacing 20th lists with raid runes.  You want a specific piece of loot, but you also want to run on normal because you suck?  Ok, but you get fewer runes per run so enjoy your grind since you can't be bothered or don't have the skill to run on elite.

Gramh, not sure if you're serious.  If not, good troll.

If you are, though, Frank nailed it.

Regarding Crystal fucking Pepsi, it was added to the product lineup by the rockstars at Pepsi and not deployed as a replacement to an extant product, so that's different from the Turbine model.

The people who didn't like it weren't forced to use it, also different than how Turbine does it.

When it was shown to not be as desirable as expected, they learned from the mistake and pulled it from production.

Crystal Pepsi has enough of a following that it's been re-released and according to Pepsi's website ( https://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/home/wheretobuy ) is available for purchase in at least 20 stores near the 90210 area code (it's also available in other areas - maybe you can find some near you).  This is also different from how Turbine does things.

If Turbine studied the Crystal Pepsi timeline and could be arsed to learn from it instead of continue to push the "no other environments are like ours, you just don't understand how unique and special we are" crap, the user environment would be a lot less unpleasant.

The issue with Turbine isn't that they cannot foresee the consequences of their actions, it's that they never ever accept responsibility for the consequences of their actions and will not look at past outcomes from the customer's point of view when making new choices.  They have plenty of other dysfunctions, notably a refusal to put any value on past efforts of developers or customers.

It's pretty common for other companies to contemplate the consequences of hypothetical actions and act to avoid undesirable outcomes. 

It's not unlike wiping your ass - people don't notice when you DO wipe your ass, but they'll complain when you don't.  Wiping your ass is expected behavior and you're not going to be congratulated on doing what you're supposed to.  You'd be well advised to use Purell after shaking hands with someone from Turbine.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #139 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 5:03pm:
If not, good troll.

Lame troll at best

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #140 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Of course you guys would suck eachothers dicks, you're all into that anti-fanboy but can't stop paying for a service you love to shit on bullshit.

The game would be shit if it never changed, and no matter what the fuck they did you gayfags would be here bitching about it or it'd be some other group of gayfags who created a site to bitch about it.

Admit that despite your nitpicky bullshit they've done a good enough job to get at least most of you to continue paying for the game and how retarded it would have been to have left the shit alone to rot and die because then what would you spend your week pissing and moaning about?

and how come you fuckwads are so anal retentive enough to overexplain an obvious joke about how crystal pepsi was shit for mass marketing? who the fuck does that?

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #141 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Admit that despite your nitpicky bullshit they've done a good enough job to get at least most of you to continue paying for the game and how retarded it would have been to have left the shit alone to rot and die because then what would you spend your week pissing and moaning about?

My guy. DDO does things to people... Once you get addicted theres no going back. Every other game seems like shit. We will continue to play even if its a sinking ship.

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #142 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
and how come you fuckwads are so anal retentive enough to overexplain an obvious joke about how crystal pepsi was shit for mass marketing? who the fuck does that?

That's my thing.  Also, your Crystal Pepsi refrence continues to be a lousy example.

Stop slacking. That's a Turbine thing.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #143 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 6:06pm:
Lame troll at best

He's a known troll on the public DDO Discord channel.  Pretty much all he does in there is troll, do the internet tough guy routine and occasionally flash his sparkly Lynn Fanclub member card.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:11pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #144 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:10pm:
He's a known troll on the public DDO Discord channel.  Pretty much all he does in there is troll, do the internet tough guy routine and occasionally flash his sparkly Lynn Fanclub member card.

no just troll and help folk, any internet tough guy routine is just a perception that idiots seem to have when they are getting trolled or they are bitching about something stupid like an exploit getting fixed. i'm guessing you're the guy that bitches publicly about exploits getting fixed that i make fun of every time he pops up? because you seem that type of idiot.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #145 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:10pm:
That's my thing.  Also, your Crystal Pepsi refrence continues to be a lousy example.

Stop slacking. That's a Turbine thing.

it was a joke, not a stone cold example of a something. a better example would probably be wrath of the lich king, which added in some features that folk didn't find favorable and divided the player base into folk that hated it so much they quit and people that didn't like it but went along with it, from what i can gather of that time period in WoW history. Or Cataclysm, or any expansion post Burning Crusade.

And even then the attrition of WoW is more people just getting a fucking life, moving on to other games, and the like. And even that isn't a good example to what happened with DDO because you can still outside of enhancements play the game like it was pre motu whereas in WoW that content is wrecked forever and there's no comparable experience so it was necessary to create a "vanilla" server.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2018 at 10:37pm by »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #146 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 12:30am
Print Post  
When Crystal Pepsi was originally released, it quickly disappeared and was perceived as a failure. But, there’s a lot more to the story. Crystal Pepsi didn’t exactly fail on its own merit. It was targeted and then eliminated by the Coca-Cola company in what Coca-Cola Chief Marketing Officer at the time, Sergio Zyman, described as a “kamikaze” marketing strategy. In order to kill Crystal Pepsi, Coca-Cola created a terrible tasting beverage to create consumer confusion and ultimately kill both brands. It turned out to be an eye-opening example of just how brutal competition can truly be.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #147 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Just like that shit company that made Neverwinter Nights and made it terrible to make ddo look terrible too because nobody could ever possibly take the dnd concept and make it apply to mmos?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #148 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Quote:
Just like that shit company that made Neverwinter Nights and made it terrible to make ddo look terrible too because nobody could ever possibly take the dnd concept and make it apply to mmos?

did you just have a stroke, GrandNN?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #149 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 4:35am
Print Post  
who's grandnn? is that a good thing? i don't think it's a good thing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Send TopicPrint