Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era? (Read 46809 times)
5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era?
Reply #25 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Back when I joined the game about 8 years ago, I could always find groups for normal or hard difficulty, with other players who were willing to run with my gimped ass, due to themselves also being newer. We had a lot of fun, and because the game wasn't split into 3 games, veterans also grouped with newer players routinely.

But bravery bonus, champions, and then reaper difficulty were all terrible missteps which make the game very prohibitive towards new players. Veterans ONLY run elite or reaper these days, so there are almost no groups, if any, for lower difficulties.

Thus, when a newbie steps into DDO for the first time and finds that he can't find any groups for difficulties where the monsterd don't one shot him, he very well may lose interest in the "massively multiplayer" game. But how do you even fix this problem? I'm not sure if there is a solution. DDO sort of crossed its rubicon in multiple aspects IMO.

We don't need 14 difficulty settings. Nix Bravery Bonus and make it just Normal difficulty and Reaper 1-10.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:34am:
And the gap between your 40 hour per week + gamers and your 15-25 hour gamers was not so large. 

All I miss about this game.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2019 at 7:20pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 8:04pm:
Yup. A DDO Classic Server would be amazing. If done properly I think it would be successful. Just look at all the other MMOs doing it. Rift, WoW, Runescape, Everquest, etc. The latest patch would be Update 13. The funny thing is as soon as you mention this on the shit mobos people run you off as if you're a lunatic. We are the vocal minority since the majority of those who even played Pre-MotU aren't playing anymore. One major issue working against the classic server are peoples mentalities. They're used to instant gratification (raid bypasses, re-rolls, no epic quest lockout, insta-epics). Considering it takes years to get max geared Pre-MotU they would lose their minds and ragequit.

I still have no clue how a new player approaches current DDO. Its a bloated mess. Add in the terrible f2p model (very outdated now) and you probably have 5% or worse new player retention. How are they supposed to catch up? Pre-MotU it was much easier for new players to catch up. Basically as soon as they hit 20 they can run the majority of raids. Even dabble into some easier epic quests like BoB and VoN 1/2.

Totally, would love to see a pre-MotU server. Aaah, used to log 1 hour per day on weekdays, guild did 3-4 raids per night in that time, life was good. If I logged in the afternoon, there would always be 3+ LFM for raids. Sometimes over 6. It's almost like a dream to remember that.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #28 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 4:17pm:
Totally, would love to see a pre-MotU server. Aaah, used to log 1 hour per day on weekdays, guild did 3-4 raids per night in that time, life was good. If I logged in the afternoon, there would always be 3+ LFM for raids. Sometimes over 6. It's almost like a dream to remember that.

Thats what happens when you have a decent sized community and a real endgame. Pre-motu you had 11 raids that were ran regularly. Historically, post-motu you had an average of 2 raids ran regularly.

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 4:09pm:
It also has to do with the power handed out inherently. It was only the minor benefit from heroic past lives that few cared about, and didn't affect much the power of the character. Since they added epic past lives, past lives started to become a problem and I already knew it would become the growing cancer in this game. Then they did racial past lives plus reaper points, finllay destroying the possibility of people who play 15 hours to compete with 40+ hour grinders forever.

Agreed. Heroic Pastlives were very balanced. Especially compared to epic/racials we have today.

Rickyretardo wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 11:53pm:
In other games veterans are not 2000% better than a new player with "blue" gear. This is some of the attraction of DDO for us vets, but the gap gets bigger every time Cordovan and his gang of hacks invents a new grind.

The ideal system was Heroic Pastlives. While it rewarded dedication. It wasnt unfair to new players. You also have to factor in Epic Destiny's. Maxing out the fate points takes a long time. Then add in the epic/racial pastlives and reaper tree. Its ridiculous.

Quote:
Back when I joined the game about 8 years ago, I could always find groups for normal or hard difficulty, with other players who were willing to run with my gimped ass, due to themselves also being newer. We had a lot of fun, and because the game wasn't split into 3 games, veterans also grouped with newer players routinely.

Before Bravery Bonus and the Quest Ransack being removed the normal way of farming was doing Nx10Cx1Hx1Ex1.
So this allowed new players to join in. Since you farmed normal up to ten times before the harder difficulties (on the best xp per minute quests). When they added Bravery Bonus the vets didnt feel so inclined on accepting noobs due to the death penalty.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2018 at 11:39am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Please Complete
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
I miss being a new player, first life no gear worth mentioning and not being able to collect coins in DA to TR because my disco ball couldn't hit 50. I hadn't felt so excluded since high school. It was great  Cool

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2018 at 4:41pm by Please Complete »  

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #30 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Please Complete wrote on Aug 19th, 2018 at 2:40pm:
I miss being a new player, first life no gear and not being able to collect coins to TR because my disco ball couldn't hit 50. I hadn't felt so excluded since high school. It was great

DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 8:04pm:
Yup. A DDO Classic Server would be amazing. If done properly I think it would be successful. Just look at all the other MMOs doing it. Rift, WoW, Runescape, Everquest, etc. The latest patch would be Update 13. The funny thing is as soon as you mention this on the shit mobos people run you off as if you're a lunatic.

I'm not opposed to the concept.  I think a classic server would be fun to check out and I might even play there if it remained fun.  I'm opposed to the implementation.  SSG doesn't have the staff to roll out a single update which isn't riddled with bugs.  And fixing those bugs seems to take them at least 3 updates to get about 80% of them.

So what happens to the main servers when they pull resources away to develop and maintain a classic server?  They aren't going to be hiring more people for this project, they just congratulated themselves non-stop for managing to hire a couple more art people.  They implement utter crap changes like nerfs to kensai and incredibly broken 'more hp to melees in epics, but not all melees because of reasons we won't bother to talk about or even think about but are plainly ignorant as fuck' changes because of some sort of sunk cost fallacy where they spent time developing some piece of crap change so they are going to inflict it on live no matter how many players tell them that it is gay and retarded.

So how is a side project for a classic server going to make anything at all better?  It isn't, that's how.  And this is why people react like you're fucking insane, not because the idea is a bad one but because the implementation of the idea is a bad one.

Spreading their already thin as shit resources any thinner by engaging in side projects isn't a good idea.  They can barely handle the core project as it is.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:15am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #32 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:12am:
So how is a side project for a classic server going to make anything at all better?  It isn't, that's how.  And this is why people react like you're fucking insane, not because the idea is a bad one but because the implementation of the idea is a bad one.

Spreading their already thin as shit resources any thinner by engaging in side projects isn't a good idea.  They can barely handle the core project as it is.

Thats the biggest hurdle. I don't code so I have no clue how hard it would be to revert a server to an older patch. I know WoW Classic is having a hard time due to the server technology. They have to go back at the end of 2006. DDO classic just has to go back to mid 2012. Also DDO hasnt updated their servers like WoW has. Its a gamble for sure. If successful, it would bring back the players who quit due to motu. While possibly bringing in players from current ddo.

I know it will never happen. Current ddo is basically on life support. Once its deemed non-profitable it will be shut down. Apparently the Strahd expansion was very successful so it'll probably have quite a few years left.

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:50am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #33 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
I talked to the kids.  They said they don't give a fuck about staying off your lawn and they sure as hell don't want to hear your Lawrence Welk records.

Sorry about that you old geezers Wink

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #34 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:28am:
I know it will never happen. Current ddo is basically on life support. Once its deemed non-profitable it will be shut down. Apparently the Strahd expansion was very successful so it'll probably have quite a few years left.

They already announced an expansion for next year.   Do games "basically on life support" get expansions?   That has not been my experience.

I'd rather they went with campaign servers rather than a classic server.   When new content pack or expansion comes out (once per quarter), spawn a new server.  Transfer a character costs $10 or 995 Points or 250 AS.   Server will be up for 90 days.

Transferred characters can only have up to 6 active Heroic/Racial PL's from however many their character has earned.   3 Iconics, and 6 Epic PL's.   No reaper points are available (or maybe a limited number depending on the difficulty of the campaign).   Their loot, all of it, stays on their original server, so they start with no gear. 

You could, of course, just create new characters on the campaign server like any other server.

The campaign server has a specific quest "path" from 1-30 that includes the new content.   Running that path and completing earns you unique gear/cosmetics/rewards (BtC) that cannot be earned on regular servers.  You can TR/ER on the campaign server if you get to cap and re-run the campaign again, but the character only gets the unique campaign rewards once.   At any time, even if you have not completed the campaign, you can transfer back to your home server (no charge if you complete the campaign.   small fee - 195 points, for example, if you havent).   After 90 days, the server closes and ALL characters are transferred back to their home server. (free). 

You can earn PL's and reaper points.  (but you can't use more than the cap set by the campaign while on the campaign server) Any gear you acquire on the campaign server transfers back with you.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:12pm:
They already announced an expansion for next year.   Do games "basically on life support" get expansions?   That has not been my experience.

I'd rather they went with campaign servers rather than a classic server.   When new content pack or expansion comes out (once per quarter), spawn a new server.  Transfer a character costs $10 or 995 Points or 250 AS.   Server will be up for 90 days.

Transferred characters can only have up to 6 active Heroic/Racial PL's from however many their character has earned.   3 Iconics, and 6 Epic PL's.   No reaper points are available (or maybe a limited number depending on the difficulty of the campaign).   Their loot, all of it, stays on their original server, so they start with no gear. 

You could, of course, just create new characters on the campaign server like any other server.

The campaign server has a specific quest "path" from 1-30 that includes the new content.   Running that path and completing earns you unique gear/cosmetics/rewards (BtC) that cannot be earned on regular servers.  You can TR/ER on the campaign server if you get to cap and re-run the campaign again, but the character only gets the unique campaign rewards once.   At any time, even if you have not completed the campaign, you can transfer back to your home server (no charge if you complete the campaign.   small fee - 195 points, for example, if you havent).   After 90 days, the server closes and ALL characters are transferred back to their home server. (free). 

You can earn PL's and reaper points.  (but you can't use more than the cap set by the campaign while on the campaign server) Any gear you acquire on the campaign server transfers back with you.

Yep. This extremely complex system sounds way more likely and doable than a classic server. And game developers love when users suggest fully-formed, fleshed out systems. Ayup.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #36 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:28am:
I don't code so I have no clue how hard it would be to revert a server to an older patch.

Assuming Turbine was a well-run company with a thoroughly documented development process and carefully-maintained archives, and that all of that information was brought over with the transition to Standing Stone Games, it would be quite simple!

But given that Blizzard had to re-write a fair bit of it's code from scratch to build the "classic" servers(and even kip from the emulated server community, allegedly), it's a fair guess that Turbine/SSG was not that organized.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #37 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:12pm:

That was a poor choice of words on my part. Due to the small population and presumably smaller dev team. Time between content releases has been much longer. So saying "ddo had a massive stroke and it now trying to cope with everyday life" would be a better example.

noamineo wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:22pm:
Assuming Turbine was a well-run company with a thoroughly documented development process and carefully-maintained archives, and that all of that information was brought over with the transition to Standing Stone Games, it would be quite simple!

But given that Blizzard had to re-write a fair bit of it's code from scratch to build the "classic" servers(and even kip from the emulated server community, allegedly), it's a fair guess that Turbine/SSG was not that organized.

Exactly. I highly doubt Turbine/SSG were that careful.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2018 at 4:58pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #38 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:17pm:
Yep. This extremely complex system sounds way more likely and doable than a classic server. And game developers love when users suggest fully-formed, fleshed out systems. Ayup.

At least they can monetize the campaign server model and it is a going forward (rather than looking back) model that also addresses power creep in the current game.

But neither is going to happen.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #39 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 1:41pm:
At least they can monetize the campaign server model and it is a going forward (rather than looking back) model that also addresses power creep in the current game.

But neither is going to happen.

Yeah I wasn't saying it was a bad idea - just laughing because I know game devs HATE when people go "Here's the solution to your problem" and present an intricate, fully-formed concept. Its a bit like when someone who doesn't work in your field tries to tell you how to do your job.

That said, seeing as the SSG devs don't really know how to do THEIR job, they probably need it.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #40 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:59pm:
Exactly. I highly doubt Turbine/SSG were that careful.

Given previous experiences, I think we can say that with certainty.

The "golden age" source code is probably sitting on a broken external hard drive in the back of a closet at the old turbine headquarters. Where, even if the data could be recovered, there's no documentation for it, and probably no code comments Tongue

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #41 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 2:15pm:
Given previous experiences, I think we can say that with certainty.

The "golden age" source code is probably sitting on a broken external hard drive in the back of a closet at the old turbine headquarters. Where, even if the data could be recovered, there's no documentation for it, and probably no code comments Tongue

Rip golden age

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #42 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
If we could get a server emulation project off the ground, it wouldn't be very difficult to re-create.All of the functionality we want to see is still in there; it would just be a matter of stripping away/locking out all of the new/bad functionality.

In fact, all existing epic content could potentially be left in the game but down-scaled to lvl20. The hard part is the emulation software; everything else is just DB entries.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #43 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:21pm:
If we could get a server emulation project off the ground, it wouldn't be very difficult to re-create.All of the functionality we want to see is still in there; it would just be a matter of stripping away/locking out all of the new/bad functionality.

In fact, all existing epic content could potentially be left in the game but down-scaled to lvl20. The hard part is the emulation software; everything else is just DB entries.

I wish I knew more on the subject. I was always curious why ddo doesn't have a private server where so many other mmos do. Is it harder with the mostly instanced based style ddo has? The complicated dice system? Perhaps not enough people want to go through the headaches or even want to experience later versions of ddo. Possibly due to the low population ddo has throughout its lifespan compared to other mmos havent garnered enough people capable of even tackling a project like this.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:19pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
sorry but running shroud all day was boring as fuck, old epics were built for fotm shit and the s/s/s system was boring and annoying.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm:
I wish I knew more on the subject. I was always curious why ddo doesn't have a private server where so many other mmos do. Is it harder with the mostly instanced based style ddo has? The complicated dice system? Perhaps not enough people want to go through the headaches or even want to experience later versions of ddo. Possibly due to the low population ddo has throughout its lifespan compared to other mmos havent garnered enough people capable of even tackling a project like this.

Two major factors: low player population & an actual decent F2P model.

Games like WoW got private server mods early because they were hugely popular but had a monthly fee. Other games that have since gone F2P still get private servers because their F2P models is hot shit.

Population is the biggest factor, the game has never been big enough or popular enough to warrant such a project. Also Turbine being humongous dicks plays a role; while nobody has ever tried, expect Turdbin/SSG to sue the shit out of anyone that does.

Believe it or not the instanced style of DDO actually makes it EASIER. The dice system also doesn't matter at all; that's all just RNG.

From what I understand, Asheron's Call now has a perfectly working server emulator, and shares a lot of base-code with DDO. Probably wouldn't take much work to adapt the code-base.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #46 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
sorry but running shroud all day was boring as fuck, old epics were built for fotm shit and the s/s/s system was boring and annoying.

It was only boring and annoying because all of the halfway decent items had drop rates that were abysmally bad. If they'd ever implemented the proposed traders it would have been much more popular.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 3:57am
Print Post  
well if ya'll want to play the same 3 builds and run shroud forever there's still that option, and if you want to grind out pastlives oldschool style you can just turn off bravery bonus and stop running pots, it's just you like all the new conveniences so of course you're not gonna do it that way. "why should we have to create our own challenge" says the folk who are willing to make their own ddo classic server XD

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #48 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
well if ya'll want to play the same 3 builds and run shroud forever there's still that option, and if you want to grind out pastlives oldschool style you can just turn off bravery bonus and stop running pots, it's just you like all the new conveniences so of course you're not gonna do it that way. "why should we have to create our own challenge" says the folk who are willing to make their own ddo classic server XD

The problem is less about "not liking" all of the conveniences than it is about the schism in the playerbase. We miss pre-motu because despite all the downsides, it was a time when everyone was playing the same game.

Sure, you can turn off bravery bonus, but you can't make EVERYONE turn it off, which means you're playing a different game from the guys who have it switched on. Yeah, you can decide to TR at 20, but then, again, you're now playing a different game from everyone grinding epic past lives.

The desire here is to have everyone playing the same game.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
oh so you guys want everybody else to be bored to death with cap being 20 and a TR process that was grindy and prohibitive, got it. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Send TopicPrint