Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era? (Read 46745 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era?
Reply #50 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Yes exactly, that is exactly what we want Tongue We want you, specifically, to be bored Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #51 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
sorry but running shroud all day was boring as fuck, old epics were built for fotm shit and the s/s/s system was boring and annoying.

You still had 10 other raids to run that were still relevant to the endgame progression. Compared to today where you either farm 2-3 raids for 5-6+ months or endlessly farm pastlives.

Almost any realistic build was viable for epic (no 10 cleric/10 barb). Old epic was more inclusive than high skull reaper is today.

Quote:
well if ya'll want to play the same 3 builds and run shroud forever there's still that option, and if you want to grind out pastlives oldschool style you can just turn off bravery bonus and stop running pots, it's just you like all the new conveniences so of course you're not gonna do it that way. "why should we have to create our own challenge" says the folk who are willing to make their own ddo classic server XD

You're actually closer to describing current ddo than classic. Farming the same 2 raids or farming pastlives over and over.
Remember undead shiradi? Or the more recent monk builds? Warlock? How about Shiradi builds and monkcher after motu? I dont want a classic server to "grind pastlives". I can do that with current ddo since thats all you can do.

Quote:
oh so you guys want everybody else to be bored to death with cap being 20 and a TR process that was grindy and prohibitive, got it. Grin

Once again you're closer to describing current ddo.

noamineo wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:16am:
The desire here is to have everyone playing the same game.

100%

Frank wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:54pm:
Some bright bulb at ssg looked at the average revenues for an update with a store cost of ~500-1500 points and free for VIPs and compared that to the revenues for an expansion that the VIPs and everyone else have to buy.  Guess which brought in more money? 

It all makes sense now.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2018 at 2:33pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:12pm:
They already announced an expansion for next year.   Do games "basically on life support" get expansions?   That has not been my experience.

Some bright bulb at ssg looked at the average revenues for an update with a store cost of ~500-1500 points and free for VIPs and compared that to the revenues for an expansion that the VIPs and everyone else have to buy.  Guess which brought in more money?  (And yeah, I am guessing.  But is your guess any different?)  So of course they are planning another expansion.  From here on you can expect it to be expansions all the way down.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #53 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
https://emulator.ac/

Open Source Asheron's Call emulator. From what I understand, the server-side technology for AC and DDO are similar.

Just for fun I think I will fire up that AC emulator and point DDO at it. It won't work at all obviously but it will make for some entertainment.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #54 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:16am:
it was a time when everyone was playing the same game.

Yeah, it was called World of Warcraft.  Meanwhile in DDO every night another 200~1000+ people had logged off for the last time because they were sick to death of running nothing but Shroud for the millionth time and the low level game was even more of a ghost town than it is now.

DDO was hemorrhaging players something fierce.

Remorting saved the game from joining the likes of Matrix, Vanguard, etc... and being turned off.  Now, you can say till you're blue in the face that it would have been better to just die, but that's on you.

Don't get me wrong, SSG is absolutely fucking up left and right with this game.  It's almost embarrassing.  But whoever made the call to 'fix' the TR system, such as it was, and make that the major focal point of the game should be credited with saving the game from being another footnote on some wiki page about dead MMO's.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2018 at 4:37pm by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

TornadoJoe
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:44pm:
Met most of my friends here.

Fucking loser.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #56 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 7:47pm
Print Post  

Huh. I'd say the real golden age was well before the period you guys speak of, though I'll agree that it was a silver age of sorts. I think everyone is forgetting the year plus with no new content at all. It was a good time for people to catch up, but the boredom set in hard.

Dungeon Scaling was one of the things that ticked me off the most. I enjoyed figuring out how to solo raids. That's not anywhere near the same thing as running a raid on a solo setting. At minimum, it should have been something we could select - not automatic.

Dungeon Alert was (and presumably remains) a piece of shit. And being told that we had to take it because we were causing all the server lag was absolute bullshit. Funny how that lag was still around, or even worse, after DA was implemented...

Epics were pretty cool, but the loot system was shit. Way, way, way too much farming required, unless you were unusually lucky.

While I've not tried it, I'm definitely not a fan of where I've heard things have progressed in the eight years since I left. I thought past lives were a horrible idea - but they've doubled down on that several times over. A bajillion difficulty settings - and something tells me that despite that, Dungeon Scaling is still in place. I'm sure the move away from the D20 system is so complete now that I wouldn't even recognize it. And their never-ending crafting systems and compounding inventory tetris... jesus fucking christ.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #57 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 7:47pm:
While I've not tried it, I'm definitely not a fan of where I've heard things have progressed in the eight years since I left. I thought past lives were a horrible idea - but they've doubled down on that several times over. A bajillion difficulty settings - and something tells me that despite that, Dungeon Scaling is still in place. I'm sure the move away from the D20 system is so complete now that I wouldn't even recognize it. And their never-ending crafting systems and compounding inventory tetris... jesus fucking christ.

Thats not so bad. Dungeon scaling means almost nothing on elite or reaper: same nmbers of mobs and almost same hp and damage. There almost no d20 with prr/mrr/mp/sp/tohit and ac, but it is still almost pure d20 for DC spellcasting, my very favorite way to play it ^^ As for pastlife farm thats debateful. From one side it made many vets running heroics again and again, so they occasionaly meet and help new people. From another - people fail to see endgame at all. They join this arms race and complain how boring game is or getting cocky and fapping on their triple-racials or whatever. Yet you dont really need it to be good nowdays. Few life toons with few reaper points with a good gear and played by good players can do almost anything right now.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #58 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:21pm:
Few life toons with few reaper points with a good gear and played by good players can do almost anything right now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the progression towards EZ-button gaming. I thought silver flame pots were pushing it, but now I hear talks of cocoons and the like. Poo. Back in my day, we ran and hid in the corner while desperately drinking CSW pots, and we liked it.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #59 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:35pm:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the progression towards EZ-button gaming. I thought silver flame pots were pushing it, but now I hear talks of cocoons and the like. Poo. Back in my day, we ran and hid in the corner while desperately drinking CSW pots, and we liked it.

My interest in this game is mid to high skulls reaper. No cocoons or healing potions will help in a combat: for all medicore players if you take several hits you die. If you try to heal tank with cocoons only, tank dies. It is forcing players to pick dedicated rolls, yet not limiting freedom. Say a bard can fit main healer role with the few twists if there no divines. Game hardly dependent on your actual knowledge. Good arcane can turn off the tide and rock alone up to the boss fight. And I am more than sure it was in your time aswell, cause gs and slaver items are old. But was that funny when gear wizard/sorc/fvs just do all the job? Not even need a tank or healer - just heal/negburst/repair self. Higher skulls forcing to cooperate. Is the place when you really need to act wisely cause any mistake cause death and any death may cause wipe. And again, for most folks this game is still "too challenging", take a look on official forum. Thats why Im mad about over SSG instead of forcing people to learn the game over better interface or working with community they trivializing game and nerfing things. There still place to build foor a test, play for fun and if you go for your very favorite shiradi or whatever you can still enjoy elite runs and drink your csw pots. Im not telling SSG doing perfect either good. Yet game can suggest many ways to entertain player. Yet the really terrible idea was to make bravery bonus on reaper make bigger than on elite.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #60 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
TornadoJoe wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 5:04pm:
Fucking loser.

I should have said "people I added to my friends list in ddo" but "friends" seemed obvious. I apologize.

noamineo wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:23pm:

Open Source Asheron's Call emulator. From what I understand, the server-side technology for AC and DDO are similar.

Just for fun I think I will fire up that AC emulator and point DDO at it. It won't work at all obviously but it will make for some entertainment.

When the servers shut down for DDO, im curious if people will try to emulate it. If so, what version.

Zehnpai wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 4:36pm:
Yeah, it was called World of Warcraft.  Meanwhile in DDO every night another 200~1000+ people had logged off for the last time because they were sick to death of running nothing but Shroud for the millionth time and the low level game was even more of a ghost town than it is now.

DDO was hemorrhaging players something fierce.

What version of the game are you talking about? Sounds a lot like before it went f2p.

Remorting saved the game from joining the likes of Matrix, Vanguard, etc... and being turned off.  Now, you can say till you're blue in the face that it would have been better to just die, but that's on you.

You're talking about when it went f2p right?

Don't get me wrong, SSG is absolutely fucking up left and right with this game.  It's almost embarrassing.  But whoever made the call to 'fix' the TR system, such as it was, and make that the major focal point of the game should be credited with saving the game from being another footnote on some wiki page about dead MMO's.

It was the obvious choice. They cant create an endgame at 25 if their hopes were to go to level 30. It showed too. They only made one raid for motu. Then 8 months later finally added one more raid. To make matters worse, they added raid timer bypasses like a month and a half after motu. I know this because I was the first to get a 40th CitW exactly 2 months after motu launched (zerged 34 completions in 9 days). It was actually the Epic Destiny's that was the endgame. Why create more content when you can just recycle old content?

Strake wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 7:47pm:
Epics were pretty cool, but the loot system was shit. Way, way, way too much farming required, unless you were unusually lucky.

Thats what an endgame is though. You grind and grind to improve your character. Just like tring. I see no difference between endgame and tring. Except with the endgame you can kick your feet up for 1-3 days when you're timed out. You also have to keep the lifespan of the content long. I believe they implemented a system that did just that.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:58pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #61 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Few life toons with few reaper points with a good gear and played by good players can do almost anything right now.

I've been thinking about show-casing some solo R10s on a first life caster. Rys had a lovely video about it a while back.

The game is more skill and team-work oriented now than it has been since the "golden age." Granted there is a TON of fucking cheese in the current meta. That said... ...people play ddo for the cheese. They always have. It's why the vault is still going strong. We're a bunch of cheesy silly dudes with a hard-on for imaginary barbies hitting cthulu-monsters. God bless you all.

NSFW image
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:45pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #62 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:25pm:
When the servers shut down for DDO, im curious if people will try to emulate it. If so, what version.

AC had an active playerbase of around 3,000 when it went dark, and they came up with a working emulator in less than 6 months. Granted, some of the still active players were pretty impressive tech-gurus, and efforts to build an emulator had been running off and on for 10 years.

Odds are the first server emu for DDO(if it ever happens) will be on whatever version the game is running when it gets shut down. BUT, try to keep in mind, locking out specific features is trivial compared to building an emulator on an older version(partially because you'd need the old CLIENT to go along with that old server), so modding out a classic server would be easy.

Thats what an endgame is though. You grind and grind to improve your character. Just like tring. I see no difference between endgame and tring.

This is exactly what attracted me to DDO in the first place. WoW's endgame was "grind the same few raids until the next raid content comes out". DDO's endgame was "Grind the entire game" - that was a lot more fun for me the first 100 times I played the early-level content, but still. It was a neat idea. And honestly the current game would still be a lot of fun if the playerbase was large enough.

When Asheron's Call shut down, the playerbase numbering only in the thousands was fractured across 7 different servers. And this was a game where soloing was encouraged. Imaging trying to play DDO in it's current state with only around 100 other players online at any given time, spread across the entire level range. It'd basically be a single-player game at that point.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #63 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:03pm:
AC had an active playerbase of around 3,000 when it went dark, and they came up with a working emulator in less than 6 months. Granted, some of the still active players were pretty impressive tech-gurus, and efforts to build an emulator had been running off and on for 10 years.

Odds are the first server emu for DDO(if it ever happens) will be on whatever version the game is running when it gets shut down. BUT, try to keep in mind, locking out specific features is trivial compared to building an emulator on an older version(partially because you'd need the old CLIENT to go along with that old server), so modding out a classic server would be easy.

I should have saved the Update 13 client lol

This is exactly what attracted me to DDO in the first place. WoW's endgame was "grind the same few raids until the next raid content comes out". DDO's endgame was "Grind the entire game" - that was a lot more fun for me the first 100 times I played the early-level content, but still. It was a neat idea. And honestly the current game would still be a lot of fun if the playerbase was large enough.

The other amazing benefit is the fact you can re-roll your class and keep all your gear. In WoW you cant, you have to make a whole new character. Also gear isn't locked to a certain class. I made the epic redscale robe rather than light amor for my rogue simply because it gave me the opportunity to roll any class I wanted instead of being locked to a couple. It also helped that armor just gave AC. which was useless for the majority of classes besides intimi-tanks. Same went for every other piece of gear. ToD sets, chrono sets, etc.

When Asheron's Call shut down, the playerbase numbering only in the thousands was fractured across 7 different servers. And this was a game where soloing was encouraged. Imaging trying to play DDO in it's current state with only around 100 other players online at any given time, spread across the entire level range. It'd basically be a single-player game at that point.

I guess thats one good thing about the post-motu era. It made the game much more soloable. I couldnt imagine waiting for healers with that small of a player base.

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:44pm:
I've been thinking about show-casing some solo R10s on a first life caster. Rys had a lovely video about it a while back.

The game is more skill and team-work oriented now than it has been since the "golden age." Granted there is a TON of fucking cheese in the current meta. That said... ...people play ddo for the cheese. They always have. It's why the vault is still going strong. We're a bunch of cheesy silly dudes with a hard-on for imaginary barbies hitting cthulu-monsters. God bless you all.

NSFW image

I would say its more skill oriented simply because the risk of getting one shot is behind every corner. I dont think anything comes close to the cheese that is pre-nerf mass hold and dreamspitter combo. Also dont forget about guard builds! Or the sundering ooze tank build. Unfortunately I didnt get around to rolling one of those back then.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:35pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #64 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:04pm:
The other amazing benefit is the fact you can re-roll your class and keep all your gear.

That is hands down my favorite thing about DDO. Back when I was playing WoW I could never get started on an alt because the thought of re-farming gear was too painful. Even on DDO my alts are few and far between, I just have my one completionist with bulging pockets Tongue

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #65 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:23pm:

I've been looking at the effort they all put in to get an emulator running... The most important part was that they gathered heaps of client/server interraction
in the last few weeks in a very thorough and controlled manner. ( perform packet capture when doing a specific thing in game, saving said capture, making another capture while doing something else, saving it, and so on )

It can't be anything but the latest version of the game client. Even if somebody managed to retain a pre-MoTU game client as it's not the correct version to connect to the server it won't be possible to capture the client/server interraction like they did for AC.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #66 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 6:27am
Print Post  
You could just content lock the sale of later packs. They'd be in the game but no one would have access.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #67 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:44pm:
The game is more skill and team-work oriented now than it has been since the "golden age."

Yes and no.  I totally agree that it should and needs to be more team based now than it ever was in the past (and probably is in the hardcore guild reaper runs), but I can't say that's what I'm seeing in Pugs.

Feels more like most people are still  trying to go old school "bring your own heals, my self contained build owns EE BB and I can blunt force zerg my way through any dungeon with no skill by myself".

Fucking bunch of multiple past life soul stones that really need to figure out where their niche is in that specific group instead of just rushing back into the fray as soon as someone rezs their dumb asses.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #68 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:46pm:
I've been looking at the effort they all put in to get an emulator running... The most important part was that they gathered heaps of client/server interraction
in the last few weeks in a very thorough and controlled manner. ( perform packet capture when doing a specific thing in game, saving said capture, making another capture while doing something else, saving it, and so on )

Very impressive what that small community did.

It can't be anything but the latest version of the game client. Even if somebody managed to retain a pre-MoTU game client as it's not the correct version to connect to the server it won't be possible to capture the client/server interraction like they did for AC.

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 6:27am:
You could just content lock the sale of later packs. They'd be in the game but no one would have access.

Yeah blocking levels, content, races, classes etc. would be the start. Luckily the old loot system is still in place. However one issue may be how they changed some item bonuses.

For example:
Epic redscale armor after MotU: +84 spellpower to fire (so +85% damage), +16% fire crit chance
Epic redscale armor before MotU: 8th level and lower fire spells +50% damage. +9% crit and +0.50 crit multiplier

So luckily you can just revert it down to 50 spellpower, the crit down to 9%. Not to sure about the crit mult tho.

Same goes for a lot of other things. For example Dodge replaced a lot of AC bonuses on items. They also released PR although I dont think old items got PR. Reverting all the old items back is doable for sure. Just tedious.

The biggest issue are the enhancements and feats. Now it is possible to find the old enhancements online. Luckily nothing really changed from updates 13-18. Update 19 gave us the enhancements revamp. One could theoretically create new enhancement trees that just gave us the Update 18 numbers. This would require a decent amount of effort but 100% doable.

The only other issue is bringing back the old Epic. Im not too sure what difficulty one would use. Maybe epic hard?

IP Logged

Nova
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  
DDO was my first MMO and even though I have moved on (ESO) I still look back on it fondly (and even show up for a month every now and them to see whats up)

overall my biggest complaint is the sheer inflation of everything, I agree that new player retention must be shit and there just milking existing players because holy shit.

each piece of gear has like 5-10 effects on it, the amount of different stat bonuses is insane (remember when it was +6, insightful +2-3, exceptional +1 or something like that)

the amount of difficulties is retarded, then they don't seem to understand that players don't view reaper as a "only do this if your looking for a challenge" difficulty and rather as the new elite difficulty, that undermines its own concept by having another power progression system tied to it.

all the forms of past lives, bleh.

I feel like difficulty should be a new normal (based on current hard) that rewards somewhere between elite - R1 xp) and then reaper that acts as something like R5 (with no reaper progression system) that does not reward extra xp but rewards something like guaranteed loot drops or more cosmetic stuff for the reaper vendor.

this at a time when 5th edition came out and has become wildly successful with the reduction in number inflation and sheer balance (capped numbers) makes me wish DDO would just go under or SSG would lose the license so that someone could make a 5e DnD MMO.

the thing that keeps me interested in DDO has and will always be the builds. the sheer amount of build diversity and design. that sitting over notebooks for hours thinking up builds and splits and feat choices and races, etc.

but yeah this number inflation is bullshit.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:53am by Nova »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #70 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:39am:
Yeah <snip> Maybe epic hard?

So the question I have is how "thorough" do you really need it to be? Does it actually need to be a faithful re-creation of pre-MOTU, or would merely capturing the same "feel" do the trick?

What I gather from yourself and others is that the real important part is getting everyone back into the same cycle(E.G. heroic TRs), not "having every named item item have the exact same spellpower as it did pre-MOTU".

So, for example, a really easy solution would be to build the server emulator based on current game-client as is, then cap everyone at heroic XP and down-balance all the existing epic content to something akin to the old-style epics. All game content remains available; but now instead of having heroic an epic, levels, you just have heroic and epic(ML20) content just like pre-MOTU. Leave all items/enhancements/etc as-is.

The only major problem I see is with the iconic races. These could either be locked out entirely or provided with some other gimic to allow them to TR at 20. Even funnier would be to leave them in but force them to start at lvl 1(I always thought it would be interesting to play an iconic at-level through early heroics).

But that's just how I'd approach the project.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #71 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:29am
Print Post  

Packet captures, you say? That's actually something I could do Tongue I always wondered how they started work on something like that.

I read an interesting article a little while ago about a group trying to get a playstation 2 everquest MMO back up and running, in which the servers had been gone for a very long time and they were literally having to start from scratch with just the game client. That sounds HARD.

Definitely building a DDO server emulator will be a lot easier while the game is still running(for the aforementioned captures as well as just being able to compare behavior). We've also got the advantage of several fully-functional open-source emulator projects to borrow from!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #72 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:39am:
However one issue may be how they changed some item bonuses.

For example:
Epic redscale armor after MotU: +84 spellpower to fire (so +85% damage), +16% fire crit chance
Epic redscale armor before MotU: 8th level and lower fire spells +50% damage. +9% crit and +0.50 crit multiplier

So luckily you can just revert it down to 50 spellpower, the crit down to 9%. Not to sure about the crit mult tho.

Same goes for a lot of other things. For example Dodge replaced a lot of AC bonuses on items. They also released PR although I dont think old items got PR. Reverting all the old items back is doable for sure. Just tedious.

The biggest issue are the enhancements and feats. Now it is possible to find the old enhancements online. Luckily nothing really changed from updates 13-18. Update 19 gave us the enhancements revamp. One could theoretically create new enhancement trees that just gave us the Update 18 numbers. This would require a decent amount of effort but 100% doable.

The only other issue is bringing back the old Epic. Im not too sure what difficulty one would use. Maybe epic hard?

All the items are still in the DAT files, As far as I know there hasn't been many retroactive changes to items beyond stuff like ML that were incorrect or not there.
So all version of the same item are present, you just need to point towards the correct STRING_TABLE_DID to get the version you want.
It's probably not that hard to code once you know all the STRING_TABLE_DID for all the versions of the items.

Same probably goes for the Enhancements, there's good chances they have been kept in the files.

As for Items the way the appear to be defined in the files is :

( example based on Wild Assed Guesses made from my reading into the DAT files, check relevant archived thread in the various (i)relevant Vault Sections. )

- Item
  String table towards description of item
   Fluff stuff ( durability, made of, ... )
   Power 1 -> String Table towards power 1
   Power 2 -> String Table towards power 2

- Power 1
   String Table towards Server Side stuff to make it work if server side calculated

- Power 2
   String Table towards Description of power to make it work in gamelogic.dat as this power is client side.

noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:29am:
Packet captures, you say? That's actually something I could do Tongue I always wondered how they started work on something like that.

Yes, they organized that out of reddit ( and also Discord I reckon ) when the shutdown was announced, somebody provided the google drive to dump all the wireshark traces, another provided the framework of what was needed ( what kind of interraction in game was to be traced ), and they all went and spent time tracing
the hell out of the game.

Now I gather that they had some starting point through various utilities that were created for AC. ( like the one that allowed them to extract the game map, and the one that allows to scan the DAT files ( they have almost the same format as DDO apparently, the difficulty is the almost ).

Since DDO ( and LoTRO ) is using almost the same tech as AC we already have a huge starting point. the rest is to find good coders to reproduce servers and stuff.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #73 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 12:49pm:
All the items are still in the DAT files, As far as I know there hasn't been many retroactive changes to items beyond stuff like ML that were incorrect or not there.
So all version of the same item are present, you just need to point towards the correct STRING_TABLE_DID to get the version you want.
It's probably not that hard to code once you know all the STRING_TABLE_DID for all the versions of the items.

Same probably goes for the Enhancements, there's good chances they have been kept in the files.

As for Items the way the appear to be defined in the files is :

( example based on Wild Assed Guesses made from my reading into the DAT files, check relevant archived thread in the various (i)relevant Vault Sections. )

- Item
  String table towards description of item
   Fluff stuff ( durability, made of, ... )
   Power 1 -> String Table towards power 1
   Power 2 -> String Table towards power 2

- Power 1
   String Table towards Server Side stuff to make it work if server side calculated

- Power 2
   String Table towards Description of power to make it work in gamelogic.dat as this power is client side.

I have some mild experience in this department thanks to fucking around with WoW and UO emus. Typically, all of these values are stored in easily edited database tables serverside, and probably cached by the client. I know, for example, when I edited item names on the WoW emu, I had to restart the server and client for the changes to take effect.

Yes, they organized that out of reddit ( and also Discord I reckon ) when the shutdown was announced, somebody provided the google drive to dump all the wireshark traces, another provided the framework of what was needed ( what kind of interraction in game was to be traced ), and they all went and spent time tracing
the hell out of the game.

Now I gather that they had some starting point through various utilities that were created for AC. ( like the one that allowed them to extract the game map, and the one that allows to scan the DAT files ( they have almost the same format as DDO apparently, the difficulty is the almost ).

Since DDO ( and LoTRO ) is using almost the same tech as AC we already have a huge starting point. the rest is to find good coders to reproduce servers and stuff.

That's a very impressive effort given the short timeframe. Unfortunately I doubt we could organize anything similar given a timeclock. The AC playerbase was fractured across servers but united on the same game. Any similar effort via DDO would start with a lot of arguing and multiple splinter groups(no offense intended towards Rose-tinted Goggles, but I'm positive that if any serious server emu attempt started, at least one camp would violently insist on trying to build a pre-MOTU server out the gate Tongue)

That being said I think it definitely would not take too much effort borrowing the source code from the AC emu; could probably even get a certain amount of support from their development community. But, yes, we need coders, and I'm afraid that's something DDO hasn't attracted very many of.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #74 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Nova wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:52am:
DDO was my first MMO and even though I have moved on (ESO) I still look back on it fondly (and even show up for a month every now and them to see whats up)

overall my biggest complaint is the sheer inflation of everything, I agree that new player retention must be shit and there just milking existing players because holy shit.

each piece of gear has like 5-10 effects on it, the amount of different stat bonuses is insane (remember when it was +6, insightful +2-3, exceptional +1 or something like that)

Same boat as you. DDO was my first mmo. Pre-motu the max was +7, Exceptional +1 and +2 (they both stacked).

this at a time when 5th edition came out and has become wildly successful with the reduction in number inflation and sheer balance (capped numbers) makes me wish DDO would just go under or SSG would lose the license so that someone could make a 5e DnD MMO.

WoW number crunches every other expansion. I dont think ddo needs to do it just yet but it has gotten pretty silly.

the thing that keeps me interested in DDO has and will always be the builds. the sheer amount of build diversity and design. that sitting over notebooks for hours thinking up builds and splits and feat choices and races, etc.

Agreed. Also theory crafting the best item builds. The sad thing is ddo is the old breed of mmos. We will never see something like this ever again. WoW got so popular because it simplified everything. All the casuals could rush in and enjoy the game.

noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:23am:
So the question I have is how "thorough" do you really need it to be? Does it actually need to be a faithful re-creation of pre-MOTU, or would merely capturing the same "feel" do the trick?

What I gather from yourself and others is that the real important part is getting everyone back into the same cycle(E.G. heroic TRs), not "having every named item item have the exact same spellpower as it did pre-MOTU".

I would love an exact re-creation. Theres many reasons. The main reason besides the pre-motu community aspect was the endgame.

noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:23am:
So, for example, a really easy solution would be to build the server emulator based on current game-client as is, then cap everyone at heroic XP and down-balance all the existing epic content to something akin to the old-style epics. All game content remains available; but now instead of having heroic an epic, levels, you just have heroic and epic(ML20) content just like pre-MOTU. Leave all items/enhancements/etc as-is.

The only major problem I see is with the iconic races. These could either be locked out entirely or provided with some other gimic to allow them to TR at 20. Even funnier would be to leave them in but force them to start at lvl 1(I always thought it would be interesting to play an iconic at-level through early heroics).

But that's just how I'd approach the project.

Would be an interesting take. Unfortunately I dont think it would take off. Generally people want private servers that were official releases. I know there's a couple WoW private servers that change everything up however the official expansions are much more popular. Assuming ddo servers shutdown in 2023. Pre-motu would be 11 years ago. The majority of those who even played pre-motu would be gone. Those who want a classic server would be a massive minority. The only realistic emulation would be the most current patch before it shut down.

noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 1:40pm:
That's a very impressive effort given the short timeframe. Unfortunately I doubt we could organize anything similar given a timeclock. The AC playerbase was fractured across servers but united on the same game. Any similar effort via DDO would start with a lot of arguing and multiple splinter groups(no offense intended towards Rose-tinted Goggles, but I'm positive that if any serious server emu attempt started, at least one camp would violently insist on trying to build a pre-MOTU server out the gate Tongue)

Obviously I would be rooting for the pre-motu server. However I would have no say in the project. It would be up to those who dedicated themselves to bringing ddo back from the dead. By the time the servers shut down and a proper emulation is started hardly anyone would even consider a classic server. The only viable option is the most recent patch.

Edit: The aspect that brought so many people together pre-motu (healer/tank/dps). Will be the achilles heel of a classic server. If you dont have a decent sized community. It would be a failure at endgame. If you think waiting for healers was bad in 2010. It would be abysmal if a classic server only has a hundred people or so.

How does someone get the DAT files?
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:26pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Send TopicPrint