Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era? (Read 46828 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Things you miss from the 'Eberron Unlimited' era?
Reply #75 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:11pm:
Agreed. Also theory crafting the best item builds. The sad thing is ddo is the old breed of mmos. We will never see something like this ever again. WoW got so popular because it simplified everything. All the casuals could rush in and enjoy the game.

Best part of DDO hands down.

I would love an exact re-creation. Theres many reasons. The main reason besides the pre-motu community aspect was the endgame.

Would be an interesting take. Unfortunately I dont think it would take off. Generally people want private servers that were official releases. I know there's a couple WoW private servers that change everything up however the official expansions are much more popular. Assuming ddo servers shutdown in 2023. Pre-motu would be 11 years ago. The majority of those who even played pre-motu would be gone. Those who want a classic server would be a massive minority. The only realistic emulation would be the most current patch before it shut down.

Obviously I would be rooting for the pre-motu server. However I would have no say in the project. It would be up to those who dedicated themselves to bringing ddo back from the dead. By the time the servers shut down and a proper emulation is started hardly anyone would even consider a classic server. The only viable option is the most recent patch.

Fortunately for the reasons already mentioned, turning a final-patch server into a pretty exact pre-MOTU server would not be tough, I just thought it'd be more popular if it re-created the feel while adding all of the game improvements and content. Just my 2 cents, like you wouldn't actually have much say in the project Tongue

Edit: The aspect that brought so many people together pre-motu (healer/tank/dps). Will be the achilles heel of a classic server. If you dont have a decent sized community. It would be a failure at endgame. If you think waiting for healers was bad in 2010. It would be abysmal if a classic server only has a hundred people or so.

This is actually super easy to mitigate by tweaking the XP and loot-drop rate variables. If these were substantially increased, leveling and gearing an alt would not be a huge challenge. Those that like playing multiple roles can just switch out as they please. Assuming raid bypass timers were unavailable, everyone would need a fair number of alts anyway.

And before anyone argues that "upping the XP amount would kill the game!" keep in mind that the whole point of a server emulator is to let people play the parts of the game they enjoy, for free, while still maintaining a large player-base without the time-investment required. The goal of a pay-for-game like DDO is to make money, everything about it is geared to balance frustration with fun just right to get people to open their wallets. A private server is just about fun, and so can ascribe to a different balance level.

How does someone get the DAT files?

They are on your computer right now. You just need special tools to open/examine them.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #76 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:38am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 1:40pm:
have some mild experience in this department thanks to fucking around with WoW and UO emus. Typically, all of these values are stored in easily edited database tables serverside, and probably cached by the client. I know, for example, when I edited item names on the WoW emu, I had to restart the server and client for the changes to take effect.

You'd be surprised at what is stored in the client files for DDO. There's a few very old thread hidden in the LFZ and in other places that shows the kind of stuff

examples :
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1336541285/0
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1424977090/0
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1367966990/0

And there's more, Rodrak coded a great tool... long ago.

How does someone get the DAT files?

look in your HDD/SSD... everybody that still play DDO has them .

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #77 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:42pm:
Fortunately for the reasons already mentioned, turning a final-patch server into a pretty exact pre-MOTU server would not be tough, I just thought it'd be more popular if it re-created the feel while adding all of the game improvements and content. Just my 2 cents, like you wouldn't actually have much say in the project Tongue

I guess I was trying to say I wouldnt feel entitled to a say because I wasnt the one putting in all the effort. The most important thing would be making a working emulator to begin with. If we dont we'll end up like the Everquest Adventure folks.

noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:42pm:
This is actually super easy to mitigate by tweaking the XP and loot-drop rate variables. If these were substantially increased, leveling and gearing an alt would not be a huge challenge. Those that like playing multiple roles can just switch out as they please. Assuming raid bypass timers were unavailable, everyone would need a fair number of alts anyway.

Agreed. By tweaking them even a little bit it would make the whole process much easier. As it was back then it took me around a year and a half of straight grind to get max geared.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:45am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #78 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:38am:
You'd be surprised at what is stored in the client files for DDO. There's a few very old thread hidden in the LFZ and in other places that shows the kind of stuff

examples :
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1336541285/0
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1424977090/0
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1367966990/0

And there's more, Rodrak coded a great tool... long ago.

My understanding is that the clientside caches a copy of everything so that it doesn't have to make a call to the server every time you want to check the stats on that eSoS. So yes, its all in the dat files, but the masters are all on the servers. Its possible DDO does things differently, but with both RunUO and whatever the wow emu was(I think I worked with 3 of them over the years) if you wanted to, say, make a level 1 sword that did obscene damage, you had to do the edit serverside then let the client download the new data.

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:44am:
I guess I was trying to say I wouldnt feel entitled to a say because I wasnt the one putting in all the effort. The most important thing would be making a working emulator to begin with. If we dont we'll end up like the Everquest Adventure folks.

There's lots of ways you can contribute to a project like that without being a programmer. Pcaps, testing, site adminitration, even just hanging around on the sidelines and being a cheerleader.

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:44am:
Agreed. By tweaking them even a little bit it would make the whole process much easier. As it was back then it took me around a year and a half of straight grind to get max geared.

Could potentially make the game a lot of fun for even just 6-12 people this way. Picture a configuration where doing every quest once on elite gives enough XP for a TR. Your static group could just play through all the content over the course of a few weeks, TR, and play through it all again on new builds. For a casual game not trying to make any money, it would be great.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #79 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:37am:
Picture a configuration where doing every quest once on elite gives enough XP for a TR.

Doing every quest once on elite already gives more than enough XP to TR.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #80 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:37am:
There's lots of ways you can contribute to a project like that without being a programmer. Pcaps, testing, site adminitration, even just hanging around on the sidelines and being a cheerleader.

Go team.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #81 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 3:52pm:
Doing every quest once on elite already gives more than enough XP to TR.

Not the case pre-motu. TRing was insane. Especially for a 'Legend' TR. You had to milk the quests dry. Im talking doing normal x10, hard x1, elite x1 and sometimes even casual x1. Quests never reset xp. So if you completed a quest two times. You would have a -10% xp repeating penalty forever. Also capping a 'legend' back then was 4375000 xp.

Update 11 brought bravery bonus. Which helped. Updates 12 or 13 brought xp tomes. Also, you didnt even get to keep your tomes until Update 13. So if you TRed before then. Say goodbye to all of your tomes.

Even with BB and xp tomes it was brutal. Keep in mind it was pre-motu. So no epic/iconic/racial pastlives. No fancy items. No class reworks. Content was limited. The closest thing to cheese would be the old Maelstrom from Tempest Spine. It used to be minimal level 2. +1 Greataxe, Anarchic, Frost. Or the Quiver upgrade that came out in Update 12. Although running abbot back then was a pain.

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:25pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
man i'm glad they kept making more game than resting on how many shrouds people were willing to do to pretend there was "end game". this classic server you want to make sounds like a boring nightmare of a game.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #83 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
man i'm glad they kept making more game than resting on how many shrouds people were willing to do to pretend there was "end game". this classic server you want to make sounds like a boring nightmare of a game.

I don't think anyone is saying that they wanted development to stop and run shroud forever.   I think the point is that some of the game mechanics implemented afterward and the loot design inconsistencies are seen as problematic for power creep and grind and game enjoyment.

It is my feeling that that is the frustration being expressed.  Not that people don't want more content than we had 6-7 years ago.  At least I hope not.   New content should always be the goal.         

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Well endgame is the same as it always was, more content now than there used to be though, unless you don't want to do reaper but at that point if you're gonna be "that guy" then fuck off. It's just that the TR game is more accessible than it used to be so there's more people doing that. If the grind for past lives was stupid as fuck like it used to be in current game then people would be just running legendary shroud all day instead of normal shroud. Sure there's heroic and maybe a bit of epic power creep going on, but it's easily avoidable if you don't like it, and god forbid everybody be stuck in the same grind that you want it to be. there's more challenge now than there ever was before, more options, ect.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #85 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Quote:
Well endgame is the same as it always was, more content now than there used to be though, unless you don't want to do reaper but at that point if you're gonna be "that guy" then fuck off. It's just that the TR game is more accessible than it used to be so there's more people doing that. If the grind for past lives was stupid as fuck like it used to be in current game then people would be just running legendary shroud all day instead of normal shroud. Sure there's heroic and maybe a bit of epic power creep going on, but it's easily avoidable if you don't like it, and god forbid everybody be stuck in the same grind that you want it to be. there's more challenge now than there ever was before, more options, ect.

Personally, I think the game is fun the way it is today.  There are problems, sure.

I wish they still had the 1 day timer on all epic content (just now applied to legendary) and there were no raid bypass timers.   I think it is too easy to grind out new content too quickly.   (But neither of those are never ever going to change.  So it is a zero stakes conversation.)

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #86 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
There's a soft timer on legendary content as far as reaper xp benefits go, but now instead of just being like "sorry i got bored before you guys got on and ran some of the content" you can be like "well it'll be less reaper xp but sure why not". And of course new content is ground out too quickly, because for the top tier of players either racial past lives were too easy to complete or not enough of a carrot to chase so they sit at cap eating up whatever new content comes out. There would be more people running raids if racials weren't a thing but the majority of the community is chugging through them because the carrot is too good. Once they are done raiding will come back strong and you'll see at least a good 6 raids of the 13 at cap run just like there was when cap was 20.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #87 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  

Asheras wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 10:03am:
I don't think anyone is saying that they wanted development to stop and run shroud forever. 

Yep, nobody is suggesting that. We're really all just opining that we miss the way the game "felt" back then.

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:39pm:
the old Maelstrom from Tempest Spine. It used to be minimal level 2. +1 Greataxe, Anarchic, Frost. Or the Quiver upgrade that came out in Update 12.

I think my biggest complaint is that, despite all the focus on TRing, the game doesn't really go to the effort of supporting it anymore.  Heroic Shroud was all about getting OP weapons for TR. Then there was the whole Dreaming Dark with the Ioune Stones. Tempest Spine's Maelstrom, the no ML quiver with 30% striding... It was all geared around giving you boosts post-TR.

Where is that now? The "endgame" currently is about getting stronger, more powerful ML 29 and 30 items. How the fuck is that useful for TR? I'll admit the sentient gems are a little bit of a boon but on the whole I don't feel like TR gear sets are a high priority with the devs anymore.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #88 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 1:56pm:
Yep, nobody is suggesting that. We're really all just opining that we miss the way the game "felt" back then.

I think my biggest complaint is that, despite all the focus on TRing, the game doesn't really go to the effort of supporting it anymore.  Heroic Shroud was all about getting OP weapons for TR. Then there was the whole Dreaming Dark with the Ioune Stones. Tempest Spine's Maelstrom, the no ML quiver with 30% striding... It was all geared around giving you boosts post-TR.

Where is that now? The "endgame" currently is about getting stronger, more powerful ML 29 and 30 items. How the fuck is that useful for TR? I'll admit the sentient gems are a little bit of a boon but on the whole I don't feel like TR gear sets are a high priority with the devs anymore.

The game doesn't "feel" new anymore, it's like watching a new episode in a tv show that you watch the reruns of every week, you're going to consume anything new fast and make it feel old pretty quick.

And yeah they don't make alot of endgame stuff for TRing anymore because it's entirely unnecessary now. They had to make alot of TR gear in the old days because there was like what, 50 quests in the game? There wasn't enough content let alone itemization to make for a seamless transition when TRing. Heck, after they released Slavelords I don't even change my heroic gear past 8 because I'm leveling so quick it doesn't matter and a slavelords set or two covers most of my bases, maybe swap out mysterious cloaks every couple of levels till 29. And it's not because of power creep at all, it's because i've been playing the same game for so long that the "challenge" doesn't even phase me. And for something that they are expanding outwards and trying to let new folk catch up to, why should it be a slog? If none of these things ever changed do you think people would still be playing?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #89 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The game doesn't "feel" new anymore, it's like watching a new episode in a tv show that you watch the reruns of every week, you're going to consume anything new fast and make it feel old pretty quick.

And yeah they don't make alot of endgame stuff for TRing anymore because it's entirely unnecessary now. They had to make alot of TR gear in the old days because there was like what, 50 quests in the game? There wasn't enough content let alone itemization to make for a seamless transition when TRing. Heck, after they released Slavelords I don't even change my heroic gear past 8 because I'm leveling so quick it doesn't matter and a slavelords set or two covers most of my bases, maybe swap out mysterious cloaks every couple of levels till 29. And it's not because of power creep at all, it's because i've been playing the same game for so long that the "challenge" doesn't even phase me. And for something that they are expanding outwards and trying to let new folk catch up to, why should it be a slog? If none of these things ever changed do you think people would still be playing?

Its not that we don't want anything to ever change, its just that grinding out TR gear was a really fun element, especially given that TRing is one of the unique aspects of DDO. DDO is the only serious MMO I know of that has such a mechanic, and it just sort of feels abandoned in the current dev cycle.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #90 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
It's just that TRing was a slog and we all knew it and nobody really enjoyed it and they decided to work harder on making it more palatable to the average player. So now instead of spending years getting your best gearset together, you can grab some stuff on the way to cap and do alright, and if you try your hardest you can speed along at a pretty good pace, instead of being happy to get from level 2 to 3 in a day. Could you imagine how dead this game would be if leveling was as much of a hassle as it used to be?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #91 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It's just that TRing was a slog and we all knew it and nobody really enjoyed it

A LOT of people still playing today are TRaholics, so it is completely unrealistic to say "nobody really enjoyed it". Have you read this thread at all? A lot of us are agreeing that the game was best when cap was 20 and TRing was endgame, since it turned the ENTIRE game into the endgame.

Quote:
Could you imagine how dead this game would be if leveling was as much of a hassle as it used to be?

I agree that they've made significant improvements to the leveling and XP gains. But that's not the part people are complaining about Tongue

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #92 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
man i'm glad they kept making more game than resting on how many shrouds people were willing to do to pretend there was "end game".

You must be really ignorant if you think all we did back then was farm Shroud. Lets look at how many raids were needed to become max geared. You know, the goal of an endgame?

THF:
  • Helm: Epic Helm of Frost   
  • Necklace: Shintao Cord 
  • Bauble: Litany of the Dead 
  • Cloak: Epic Envenomed Cloak 
  • Belt: Knost's Belt
  • Ring 1: Kyosho's Ring 
  • Ring 2: Encrusted Ring 
  • Gloves: Epic Gloves of the Claw
  • Boots: Epic Boots of Corrosion
  • Bracers: Epic Bracers of the Claw
  • Armor: Epic Marilith Chain
  • Goggles: Min 2 Green Steel
  • Weapon: Epic Sword of Shadows

Must have swaps:
  • Tharnes Goggles
  • Madstone Boots

Total of 8 raids needed. If TWF, total of 10 raids are needed (Lob and MA).

EDIT: Im curious how many raids one has to run currently to get max geared? Im going to assume 3-5? Baba, Strahd, Lshroud, and maybe riding storm or mod?

Quote:
this classic server you want to make sounds like a boring nightmare of a game.

You had to be there to appreciate it.

From an outsiders look on Vanilla WoW, I have the same opinion. It looks like total ass. Leveling took half a year. You had to heal in between each kill. You couldnt afford your spell/ability upgrades. You had to walk everywhere. Quests ran out so you had to resort to grinding mobs. You only had one or two damaging spells for leveling. Quests were very spread out and would even make you walk incredibly long distances to finish them. Yet despite all these issues theres a large part of the community that loves that version of the game. So much so that Blizzard is releasing an official Vanilla server.

TLDR; A classic server clearly isn't for you.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2018 at 6:17pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #93 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 5:56pm:
You must be really ignorant if you think all we did back then was farm Shroud.

At this point, I am relatively sure  Gramh_the_Bard is ineffectually trying to troll us by repeatedly insisting that "everyone" held a specific viewpoint when clearly several of us did not. Its a very half-assed troll, even by vault standards.

EDIT: Im curious how many raids one has to run currently to get max geared? The raids needed for a max geared THF barb at the beginning of 2016 was only 3 new raids. 4 counting an old raid. (ToD). Im going to assume 3-5? Baba, Strahd, Lshroud, and maybe riding storm or mod?

What Tower of Despair item was still usefull at cap back then?

I honestly don't even see the point in max-gearing now because all the best gear is only usable at cap. That was the nice thing about your pre-MOTU list; a lot of that stuff was not ML20.

You had to be there to appreciate it.

From an outsiders look on Vanilla WoW, I have the same opinion. It looks like total ass. Leveling took half a year. You had to heal in between each kill. You couldnt afford your spell/ability upgrades. You had to walk everywhere. Quests ran out so you had to resort to grinding mobs. You only had one or two damaging spells for leveling. Quests were very spread out and would even make you walk incredibly long distances to finish them. Yet despite all these issues theres a large part of the community that loves that version of the game. So much so that Blizzard is releasing an official Vanilla server.

TLDR; A classic server clearly isn't for you.

There was a certain magic and wonderment to vanilla WoW. Speaking as someone who joined in about 6 weeks after launch. While I stopped playing before Burning Crusade, a lot of the enhancements that current players love really felt game-ruining to me.

A big part of the problem was that players weren't playing the game as it was designed to be played. The idea was that you would form up a party in a major city, then travel together to a remote dungeon, complete the dungeon, and go on to your next adventure as a group. In theory, the journey was part of the adventure.

IN PRACTICE it was a lot like that guy who throws up an LFM for Rainbow in the Dark while halfway through the run and doesn't have ddoor. It was hell.

And yet, if you were playing the game with a group of your friends, it was one of the best MMOs out there. Vanilla still is if you've got that solid play group.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #94 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 6:28pm:
At this point, I am relatively sure  Gramh_the_Bard is ineffectually trying to troll us by repeatedly insisting that "everyone" held a specific viewpoint when clearly several of us did not. Its a very half-assed troll, even by vault standards.

Agreed. Also my boi Zehnpai seems to be doing the same.

What Tower of Despair item was still usefull at cap back then?

It was actually better to rock Encrusted Ring slotted with +40 Equiptment bonus to Hamp. I also forget to mention Esos being best in slot during that time as well. Same with the the Epic Claw set. Since the +4 damage gets boosted from melee power. It was a really awkward time gear wise for barbs.

I honestly don't even see the point in max-gearing now because all the best gear is only usable at cap. That was the nice thing about your pre-MOTU list; a lot of that stuff was not ML20.

Yeah the current endgame is pretty shit. Basically three raids. One being being normal Shroud with a boring ending. Another with terrible time padding. Seriously fuck the Baba raid. Legendary Shroud was a massive disappointment for me. Why didnt they make the items ML 20 for the Epic tr guys? The items were underwhelming. Then they added that hidden set bonus garbage that incentivized grinding shroud forever. I farmed enough ingreds to make two items when the lamp post portal cheese was out. I still havent made a single item.

Depending on the class/build Dragontouched is actually best in slot too. Along with Lit 2 main hands for TWF.

There was a certain magic and wonderment to vanilla WoW.

And yet, if you were playing the game with a group of your friends, it was one of the best MMOs out there. Vanilla still is if you've got that solid play group.

Thats what most people say. I understand all the things that made vanilla good. Ill probably give the server a go with a couple of my friends. I like how close the community was. You actually needed help. You also knew who the badass people were since they were rocking full tier sets. These actually relate to classic ddo. When you saw someone rocking full redscale you knew they were badass.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #95 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Actually i started playing around the time the carnival pack was released, and once i got to cap it took me about 2 weeks to get bored running shrouds all day every day so i bought a heart and TRed and got to about level 14 and started making alts because TRing was so tedious, got bored with alts and quit for about 4 years. Hardly anybody was running 80% of the raid content outside of guild runs and epics and most TRing was barred content where you had to be a somewhat specific build to be considered "useful". It's literally so much better of a game now than it used to be because there are actual meaningful choices, not fitting into FOTM molds to run top tier content because that's what people decided was necessary.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #96 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Actually i started playing around the time the carnival pack was released, and once i got to cap it took me about 2 weeks to get bored running shrouds all day every day so i bought a heart and TRed and got to about level 14 and started making alts because TRing was so tedious, got bored with alts and quit for about 4 years.

Just sounds like you didnt give the game a proper chance. TRing was tedious yes but you were only a first TR. Only needed 3.4 mil xp. Wasnt that bad. You did a few Shrouds and quit? What about Dragontouched armor, VoD, Hox, Reavers raids?

Quote:
Hardly anybody was running 80% of the raid content outside of guild runs and epics and most TRing was barred content where you had to be a somewhat specific build to be considered "useful".

Honestly It depends on when people were off timer. Some days you would get skunked. Some days there would be tons of lfms for raids. I pugged the entire time. Honestly once you made your own lfms you had no trouble. Most people were just too scared and were also waiting for an lfm to be up. Ill concede there was a 'first life hysteria' among the TRing groups. Can you really blame them? We didnt have time to baby sit. We didnt want a -10% xp from them dying. It was really just a headache.

Quote:
It's literally so much better of a game now than it used to be because there are actual meaningful choices, not fitting into FOTM molds to run top tier content because that's what people decided was necessary.

You got current and classic mixed up my dude.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #97 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
Just sounds like you didnt give the game a proper chance. TRing was tedious yes but you were only a first TR. Only needed 3.4 mil xp. Wasnt that bad. You did a few Shrouds and quit? What about Dragontouched armor, VoD, Hox, Reavers raids?

Honestly It depends on when people were off timer. Some days you would get skunked. Some days there would be tons of lfms for raids. I pugged the entire time. Honestly once you made your own lfms you had no trouble. Most people were just too scared and were also waiting for an lfm to be up. Ill concede there was a 'first life hysteria' among the TRing groups. Can you really blame them? We didnt have time to baby sit. We didnt want a -10% xp from them dying. It was really just a headache.

You got current and classic mixed up my dude.

I did all that stuff, VoD wasn't much fun and the rewards were nil unless you were one of 3 classes and builds that made use of the gear. HoX was a pain to run to just like VoD with just as much useless junk. Dragontouched armor would have been cool if running SoS wasn't a joyless slog and a pain to flag for and to make it the way you wanted took forever of rng just like that abysmal s/s/s system for epic loot. Reaver's raid wasn't even cap stuff just something to do to get more circumstantial TR loot.

TRing was terrible even as a second life, and waiting out a 7 day raid timer for people to gather and fill a ToD run made hanging out at cap garbage, and nobody wanted a bard anywhere near epic content because it wasn't good enough at anything so they would wait for a proper healer/caster/dps.

So yeah, now you can make any class and contribute to even top tier content whereas you had to fit into one of the 3 boxes before and only a few classes and prestieges were good for that, so I still stand by there being more meaningful choices that you can make now vs. then so you'd have to show me where i'm wrong.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #98 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
and waiting out a 7 day raid timer 

When the hell were raid timers 7 days? I was playing pre MOTU when cap was 20 and they were always 3. I actually capped 4 characters so I could always do a Shroud pre bypass-timers Tongue

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #99 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:15pm:
Thats what most people say. I understand all the things that made vanilla good. Ill probably give the server a go with a couple of my friends. I like how close the community was. You actually needed help. You also knew who the badass people were since they were rocking full tier sets. These actually relate to classic ddo. When you saw someone rocking full redscale you knew they were badass.

I've actually been quite tempted recently to get on the phone with blizzard's support and see if I cant retrieve my WoW account Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Send TopicPrint