Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reaper points vs skull level (Read 3890 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reaper points vs skull level
Aug 28th, 2018 at 3:48am
Print Post  
I'd like to get multiple opinions on this.  How many reaper points do you need to be viable in each skull setting?  And for the mass of this, we're going to say epics, not heroics*.

(and now I'm totally going to talk about heroics because that's where I first started earning my reaper points)

I roughly figure that 5 reaper points are all you need to make heroic, pussy reaper completely (all the way through to level 20) solo-able.  By 8, r1 and r2 were easier than elite.

But what do you think the break down is in epics?  You need X amount to solo and X amount to be useful in a group at this reaper setting.

And don't even try and cop out with "blah blah blah build and experience are more important" bullshit.  Yeah, build, gear and experience are very, very important - but even past lives only go so far in helping you land a spell or giving you enough hitpoints to take a hit.  Admittedly my present toon has nowhere close to the caster past lives he needs, but I couldn't even begin to land a spell on R5 until I hit 15 reaper points.

One Skull - X to solo X to group
Two Skulls - X to solo X to group
Three Skulls - X to solo X to group
Four Skulls - X to solo X to group
Five Skulls - X to solo X to group
Six Skulls - X to solo X to group
Seven Skulls - X to solo X to group
Eight Skulls - X to solo X to group
Nine Skulls - X to solo X to group
Ten Skulls - X to solo X to group

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Re: Reaper points vs skull level
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 6:46am
Print Post  
I'm going to assume you mean soloing/grouping for Reaper XP in epics @ CRUISE speed. I'm at 46 points on one toon, and 57 on another.

If you're soloing, you're probably going to be playing a ranged or melee toon (or lock). It's important to remember that in epics the mobs get a sizable damage bonus right at 20, to account for you getting epic destinies. This damage is very significant when you're solo.

I've heard of melee with 40 points not being able to solo eveningstar on R1. I've heard of melee doing it with 3 points. There are some essential gearing and build decisions that you must make if you're going to solo (or group).

1. Heal amp + healing yourself to full in that skull setting in less than 4 seconds or something.
2. Meld
3. Appropriate level 20 twink gear.

Soloing above R4 at cap generally wants 21 points imo. Higher than R4 it is more about you as a player and fine-tuning things.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:07am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 6:53am
Print Post  
In epics, I did rXP with 2 other people at r4 when we had 14 points a piece. We would increase skulls dependent on pugs. We did some things on R10 (house of rusted blades) when we could get a hold of a tank.

The group was always 1 DC caster and at least 1melee DPS. We only did Reaper XP for fast quests. For quests that were just big XP (ex, storm horns) we would typically get rushed through my guildy for the epic XP.

I see a guy with 40 points, who does R3 in epic leveling---and he does them on a ranged toon.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:08am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 6:57am
Print Post  
I have access to daily groups that average 300-400 rXP a minute at cap. We run everything r7 to r10. (No pots.) This is about triple the rate you can get solo. You can also perfect and hone a character @ cap.

IMO you really need to group for good rXP.

You can break 1000 rXP/min if you have first time bonuses and streak. A lot of people do their past lives up to cap and save everything. Then they hit all the easy ones on r7 with a Pug, and the hard ones on R5.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2018 at 6:59am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:06am
Print Post  
To go at cruise speed you're going to want...

1. A potent DC caster who doesn't mind healing their buddy, and
2. A powerful DPS.

If you have these two things you can do almost anything at end game on R-10.

Before they killed the safe spot in white plume's crab fight, Mork and I were able to snag an R10 2man. We have about 55 points to pop, and all the gear you can imagine. The sky's the limit.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:09am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Skooge, you're probably approaching the top 5% of the player base. The meta is going to be what you make it. Reality applies, but just use your noggin.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:11am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Depending on your class, build, group, cheese ability. First life healer with 0-3 points may perform better on r10 if played by skilled player with good reaction than triple-everything guy who never played this role.
Again, for most casting classes pastlifes meaning much more, cause +9 spell penetration is huge. Epic pastlifes make great difference aswell, 36 AC is huge (most classes end with 100 to 200 AC), 36 PRR is huge, +3 saves and extra +6 against traps is huge.

Overal, to build okay tank you dont need any reaper points. For higher skulls (r5-8) 21 point is enough. For R10 35-41 point is all you need, pretty comfy.

For DC caster 42 points enough to make mid skulls solo, 62 enough for everything. Pretty same for DPS, yet heavily depending on build.

At 30 its much more depending on group comp and gear\build than on reaper points. DPS and healer may have no reaper points at all and tank\CC just very few and still success higher skulls.

R10 is about tactics and group comp. The more reaper and pastlifes people have the faster you beat quest, but, say, if you go against needlers without cometfall or earthquake, you gonna have really bad times, even if you have triple-everything 100+ reaper points group.

And finially, I would not recommend run solo ever higher than r4 until you farm amber, want to make vids, prove self or someone else you have a big dick. Its waste of time and resourses. Same for higher skulls in bad groups, r8 may be done twice as fast as r10, so I stopped to run r10 till I have really strong group.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Before I got deleted; i was at around 30 something reaper ap and could solo almost every r5 quest on zerg's melee power thrower. This was for epics.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:11am:
Skooge, you're probably approaching the top 5% of the player base. The meta is going to be what you make it. Reality applies, but just use your noggin.

I'll probably continue riding the top 7% without going up much.  I've decided DDO isn't much different than being rich in real life.  Being a multi-millionaire looks impressive to the masses, but there is a massive fucking leap for every percent you jump up after that point.  That top 5% would take more effort than I'm putting in now and fuck getting to that top 1%.  I have a job Wink

I'm just curious.  There has to be a min/max on these things.  Basically - you have this few reaper points, you have no business jumping into this group.

And on the flip side -

If you have this many reaper points, you have no business joining a group running that low  Tongue

Rzyman wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:12am:
Epic pastlifes make great difference aswell, 36 AC is huge (most classes end with 100 to 200 AC), 36 PRR is huge, +3 saves and extra +6 against traps is huge.

Undeniably.  That's my biggest goal over reaper points for the next few months.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:35am:
Basically - you have this few reaper points, you have no business jumping into this group.

We ( players) had NO reaper points doing these first 10 skulls year ago.
Noone cares how many reaper points or past lives you have.

Although with 20 it's much more comfortable, I'd be happy with 40 - 50.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:29am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:35am:
I'm just curious.  There has to be a min/max on these things.  Basically - you have this few reaper points, you have no business jumping into this group.

And on the flip side -

If you have this many reaper points, you have no business joining a group running that low  Tongue

Undeniably.  That's my biggest goal over reaper points for the next few months.

There is min max. For tank/dps its basic set of pastlifes (hp, prr/mrr, saves, doublestrike) and 21 point into barricade.
For spellcasters its about base set of pastlifes (7-9 spellpen, conjuration dc, +2 DC stat from racials) and 3 dc/4 spell pen from taumatorgie.
If you skilled and built good enough you can run anything with it. More pastlifes and reaper points will speed up your completions, making them more smooth, less dc fails, more dps, more hp, yet not really musthave to play r10.

And you are totally wrong about business. Running difficulty your toon is not ready for is the best way to actually learn how to play. You see how people deal with it, you ask what items or buffs they use to prevent nasty effects, etc.

And this game about having fun. If you are having fun while helping people, why not? If you see pugs struggling lower skulls or just farming somethings, or your less-farmed bro just need some help, why dont jump in lower skull group and help? Besides, consider to how many players still running it, and how many of them constantly TRing, it'll take forever to gather group of your division.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:28pm:
And this game about having fun. If you are having fun while helping people, why not? If you see pugs struggling lower skulls or just farming somethings, or your less-farmed bro just need some help, why dont jump in lower skull group and help? Besides, consider to how many players still running it, and how many of them constantly TRing, it'll take forever to gather group of your division.

Total devil's advocate response here, because I sure as hell can't (and don't) disagree with most of what you said.

But first, let's separate playing from grinding.  Grinding is grinding and playing is playing.  If someone has a 'help me pull X from X quest' post up, 90% of the time I'm going to jump in for a quick run to open the end chest up for them and give them that shot at something I probably a lot of time trying to get myself at one point.

And if they're running at a low setting (EN or EH) in epics or anything below reaper in heroics, I'm going to get them to raise it to my level for better drop rates.  But that's grinding and grinding sucks.

But while on the subject of grinding - hypothetically, you're running slavers or RL on reaper (let's say R2 through R5).  What's your spread?  Do you only let characters levels 27/28-30 in to speed up the runs?  Or do you open it up all the way for everyone in epics? 

Most people will keep the lower level cap at 27/28 because more power=faster runs.
I put mine at 25-30 because I expect to carry the group and any help will speed things up slightly.
A handful (and I do mean a handful) will put their slavers/RL runs at 20-30 because they are so good that even a level 20 toon can just follow safely in their wake of destruction.

Levels matter in this game.
Power matters in this game.
Reaper points matter in this game.  I'll argue that when you're hitting over 50 reaper points, you're getting as much, if not more, of a boost that you'd get from just a handful of levels.

Now let's talk about playing -

Your level 20 running the initial sagas in epics, what's your spread?  Do you open your group up 20-30 so a capped toon with RL gear can come in for speed runs?  Or do you keep your level tight (20-22 or 20-24) because it's still going to be a speed run with an even half way decent group? 

Personally (and this could just be me) I keep it tight as hell because one, the regular and reaper xp is going to be better with a tighter group, but mostly - because it's boring as fuck having someone with that much power in the run.  Some challenge becomes absolutely no challenge at all the wider your spread.

And finally, more extreme example.

You're doing a heroic life.  There are a ton of new players in the game now and we're seeing a wider range of difficulty settings than we did a year or two ago.

So let me ask you -

Would you ever, ever, ever jump in someone's elite group in heroics?  Ever?  Because personally, my builds and gear are tight enough that I don't belong in an elite group.  I've been soloing elite for almost a decade now.  Would you ever even bother with a heroic elite group?  Even if the XP was the same as reaper?

Let alone someone's hard or normal group in heroics?  Do you even belong in there?  Because players are picking settings they're comfortable with - "I think I can pull it off at this setting".  They're doing what's fun for them.  Part of the fun of this game is the challenge, the feeling of accomplishment and yeah, absolutely learning how to play and improve your game. 

If a new player wants to jump in my reaper group and try their best to help out, rock on.  But I would never, ever, ever jump into their heroic norm group because I'm so overpowered I'd just be shitting all over their fun by literally walking through the dungeon with everything dying around me without even pushing a button.

This game is all about power.  You absolutely have to take risks to get it, but I think it is important to know when you're helping out vs. when you're just kind of showboating.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 7:29am
Print Post  
`
running slavers above R1 is heresy...   Angry

Quests are too long... ...I mean maybe once in a while you'd run em on r6-r10 for the lolz...

Like I said though. Game is what you make of it. I even like grinding to a certain extent.

Quote:
Your level 20 running the initial sagas in epics, what's your spread?  Do you open your group up 20-30 so a capped toon with RL gear can come in for speed runs?  Or do you keep your level tight (20-22 or 20-24) because it's still going to be a speed run with an even half way decent group? 

Bravery bonus is pretty good and people like it. If you want rXP you have to be even more restrictive. Here's the general quest list and an example of what I run on first epic life. We restrict it for rXP if we have 3 people per say.

• 21 (max 21 for rXP, max 25 for BB) -> oob, spies, LOD chain, Estar,
  • 22 (max 22 for rXP, max 26 for BB) -> Houses, Wizking (flag for ADQ if you're into that)
  • 23 (max 23 for rXP, max 27 for BB) -> Druids
  • 24 (max 24 for rXP, max 28 for BB) -> High Road
  • 25 (max 25 for rXP, max 29 for BB) -> 3BC
  • 26 (max 26 for rXP, BB for everyone) -> Wheloon
  • 27 (max 27 for rXP, BB for everyone) -> Stormhorns

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 8:07am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 7:29am:
Bravery bonus is pretty good and people like it.

You would think.  I'm a big fan, I even skip certain quests in heroics to open them up for epic BB.

But man, a lot of people just open their spread wide - automatically putting those low level quests for 20-30.

And I almost always get people messaging me to open my quests up to higher levels. 

Fuck those guys.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 12:20am:
Grinding is grinding and playing is playing.

Grinding XP or RXP is still grinding. This game is about grinding, the only difference you may do it way you enjoy or not.

But while on the subject of grinding - hypothetically, you're running slavers or RL on reaper (let's say R2 through R5).  What's your spread?  Do you only let characters levels 27/28-30 in to speed up the runs?  Or do you open it up all the way for everyone in epics? 

On lower to mid skulls if I make carrying toon or have good core party I dont mind anyone to join in. Usually post 27-30 or 28-30, yet accepting some low level pikers Smiley On higher skulls I post for 29-30. I dont really give a fuck how many points or pastlifes people have. If I dont wanna play with gimps I just dont pug.

My leveling strategy depend on my class and character power overall. If I build gimp for a reason I just run EH daylies 20-30 till my eyes bleed, sometimes joining guys who can carry harder difficulties and just help them with heals, CC, tanking, etc. If I play carrying toon I play all the epic content on r1 at bb (20-23, 20-25 and 20-28\29). I dont mind being carried while leveling and I like to carry myself. Epic leveling isnt funny for me.

Would you ever, ever, ever jump in someone's elite group in heroics?  Ever?  Because personally, my builds and gear are tight enough that I don't belong in an elite group.  I've been soloing elite for almost a decade now.  Would you ever even bother with a heroic elite group?  Even if the XP was the same as reaper?

Honestly no. Until I really want to help poor guys (stuck in cruci etc) or rerun quest on elite. I'm a little tired of orien pugs. Last 3-4 lifes I made my 1-20 solo or duo. Resulting 1-20 in around 20 hours inside quest time. I'm zerging everything on r1. Yet I rarely jump into anyone group 'cause I like to start my own. And if reaper BB was similar to elite be sure I'd zerg all those quests on elite instead. R1 is easier with 30+ points, but elite is 10-30% faster on most classes (no need ghost touch, no reapers, no triple-buffed champs, no damage penality).

Let alone someone's hard or normal group in heroics?  Do you even belong in there?

Yet if I see normal or hard heroic groups and at level-range I usually offer my help. I do remember my very first life in this game and feeling sad about those guys. And if my help accepted I carry them, and help with advices how to gear\build\play.

But I would never, ever, ever jump into their heroic norm group because I'm so overpowered I'd just be shitting all over their fun by literally walking through the dungeon with everything dying around me without even pushing a button.

I do understand you and people like you. Thats why I never ask for any help with hard farming, either to level me or, e.g. get slaver set. I know most of the old players farmed those quests million times, and for very most power creep at 30 not funny at all. Not everyone who actually can suppose to help and carry others. There still people who are doing it, and thats fine. Just dont deny their right to help guys just because they are too powerful.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 8:07am:
You would think.  I'm a big fan, I even skip certain quests in heroics to open them up for epic BB.

But man, a lot of people just open their spread wide - automatically putting those low level quests for 20-30.

And I almost always get people messaging me to open my quests up to higher levels. 

Fuck those guys.

Shrugs. I just gently explain people that they would ruin bravery bonus for entire group. Thats usually enough and noone get offended  Wink

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 8:25am:
I'm a little tired of orien pugs

Grin

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:22am:

Yes, but the difference is that R10 used to be a thing people would prepare for, now it's a zerg. That has to do with gear power creep too ofc

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:22am:

Yes, but the difference is that R10 used to be a thing people would prepare for and use consumables etc, now it's a zerg with wathever party you have. That has to do with gear power creep too ofc

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #19 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 8:25am:
I do understand you and people like you... Just dont deny their right to help guys just because they are too powerful.

I think you might be missing the point I'm trying to make.  Someone asks for help?  Hell yeah, I'm there.  Hell, the only reason I stay in the guild I'm in is because of all the new players (that and because the guild is way more about helping each other out than being uber or badass). 

But there's a fine line between helping and ruining someone else's fun.  I know when I started playing, I sure as hell wouldn't want someone like you or me in my groups.  Someone that powerful just kills the challenge of the quest. 

We've ran all these quests 100 times, we're all about the speed.  But new players running it for the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time, it's about the experience and the feeling of accomplishment of beating it yourself.

New players are playing a different game than us, really.  If they want help, I'll give them help.  If they want advice, I'm going to give them advice.

But I'm not going to ruin their fun.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #20 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I know when I started playing, I sure as hell wouldn't want someone like you or me in my groups.

I agree completely.

DDO is a power-fantasy game. People need to crush PvE on their own sometimes.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2018 at 1:29pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #21 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 11:25am:
New players are playing a different game than us, really.  If they want help, I'll give them help.  If they want advice, I'm going to give them advice.

But I'm not going to ruin their fun.

Agree. Thats why I ask first if people need help. If they having fun on normal\hard, I'll just keep doing my business  Cool
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2018 at 1:51pm by Rzyman »  

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #22 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:11am:

80% of us think we're above average at this game.

72% of statistics are made up.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #23 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:16am:
Before I got deleted; i was at around 30 something reaper ap and could solo almost every r5 quest on zerg's melee power thrower. This was for epics.

Getting deleted is the ultimate endgame build.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #24 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 6:45pm:
Getting derezzed is the ultimate endgame build.

Fixed.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint