Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Utili-Build (Read 6004 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Utili-Build
Sep 5th, 2018 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
I really miss my old school Juggernaut build from back in the day. It was primarily melee, but could range in a pinch, plus self-healing and traps. I really enjoyed the sheer utility the build offered.

So, the question is, what build, if any, offers similar utility in today's game?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Re: Utili-Build
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Whats juggernaut build? :b One of my very first lifes I was 2 rog 18 barbarian. Good eva-trap sense-improved uncanny synergy, ability to use vorpal gxbow plus cheese 150 hp spam and other regular benefits playing barbarian. The only issue is to trap or use scrolls you need to dismiss rage. Was fun and easy for heroics, no clue what about epics Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2018 at 8:23pm by Rzyman »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 7:40pm:
Whats juggernaut build?

A "juggernaut" build was/is some sort of melee Artificer.

Search for it on the DDO Forums. There are at least a few different versions.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 7:53pm:
A "juggernaut" build was/is some sort of melee Artificer.

Search for it on the DDO Forums. There are at least a few different versions.

Ok did. Well its something ancient :-D Nowdays you'd call it gimp :/ To make it work nowdays without deeply gimping character I can see 1rog 1 fighter 18 monk splash, melee build +10k, falconer wis-based. Good saves, okay ac, tactical DC's, tolerable dps, traps, ability to go ranged half of the time. Helpless blind when mob saved dire charge. But yeah, still gimp :-D

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 7:40pm:
Whats juggernaut build? :b

The one I played was 2 monk / 2 paladin / 16 artificer. It was mostly a melee build with evasion(back when evasion was good). It had extensive self-healing/self buffing capability and could trap. You could also switch to ranged combat in a pinch and not be completely useless. In it's time it was a fantastic build.

But yeah, now it is gimp as fuck. I tried to play one again recently(sometime last year I think) and it was... bad.

Rzyman wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 8:19pm:
Ok did. Well its something ancient :-D Nowdays you'd call it gimp :/ To make it work nowdays without deeply gimping character I can see 1rog 1 fighter 18 monk splash, melee build +10k, falconer wis-based. Good saves, okay ac, tactical DC's, tolerable dps, traps, ability to go ranged half of the time. Helpless blind when mob saved dire charge. But yeah, still gimp :-D

Not really quite what I'm after. I may just do another pure artificer and burn a feat on bastard sword proficiency. /sigh

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 2:56pm:
I really miss my old school Juggernaut build from back in the day. It was primarily melee, but could range in a pinch, plus self-healing and traps. I really enjoyed the sheer utility the build offered.

So, the question is, what build, if any, offers similar utility in today's game?

You can get 3 out of 4. A pure tempest is great melee, self heals, and can pop a manyshot in a pinch. I suppose adding a rogue level for trapping would make it unplayable, but it would be a big hit losing that capstone.

(That link is a bit out of date and not exactly how I would roll a tempest today, but you should get the idea.)

OTOH, you could forgo melee and add traps to a top tier throwing build or just roll a mechanic.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2018 at 2:57pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 2:56pm:

Is this a trick question?  Traps require at least a 1 level splash of artie or rogue.

Primarily melee (assume you mean good at melee DPS):  ranger, monk, rogue, fighter, barbarian
Range in a pinch (assume you mean decent ranged DPS burst even if not top-tier):  ranger, monk, rogue, artificer
Self-healing (assuming you don't mean barb/monk hit-to-heal stuff since it doesn't work on ranged):  cleric, FvS, paladin, ranger, artificer (meh in reaper), druid

Eliminate the classes that don't exist in all three lists:

Primarily melee:  ranger, monk, rogue, fighter, barbarian
Range in a pinch:  ranger, monk, rogue, artificer
Self-healing:  cleric, FvS, paladin, ranger, artificer, druid

Lo' and behold, there's the answer.  Ranger class provides the melee DPS and healing. Ranged DPS is a combination of ranger and rogue or artie abilities.  Trapping is obviously from the rogue or artie splash. 

If you prefer bows + manyshot, I'd go 18 ranger, 2 rogue probably.  For xbows, I'd probably go 16 ranger, 4 artificer but that'd requires burning 22 AP for Endless Fusilade which will probably cost you some melee DPS.

The rogue splash probably has more synergy with being primarily melee if that's what you're after.

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:43pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:35pm:
Is this a trick question?  Traps require at least a 1 level splash of artie or rogue.

Primarily melee (assume you mean good at melee DPS):  ranger, monk, rogue, fighter, barbarian
Range in a pinch (assume you mean decent ranged DPS burst even if not top-tier):  ranger, monk, rogue, artificer
Self-healing (assuming you don't mean barb/monk hit-to-heal stuff since it doesn't work on ranged):  cleric, FvS, paladin, ranger, artificer (meh in reaper), druid

Eliminate the classes that don't exist in both all three lists:

Primarily melee:  ranger, monk, rogue, fighter, barbarian
Range in a pinch:  ranger, monk, rogue, artificer
Self-healing:  cleric, FvS, paladin, ranger, artificer, druid

Lo' and behold, there's the answer.  Ranger class provides the melee DPS and healing. Ranged DPS is a combination of ranger and rogue or artie abilities.  Trapping is obviously from the rogue or artie splash. 

If you prefer bows + manyshot, I'd go 18 ranger, 2 rogue probably.  For xbows, I'd probably go 16 ranger, 4 artificer but that'd requires burning 22 AP for Endless Fusilade which will probably cost you some melee DPS.

The rogue splash probably has more synergy with being primarily melee if that's what you're after.

Thank you kindly for breaking it down! That is helpful.

I've had good fun in the past with builds that splashed six ranger mostly for 2wf feats; and typically found that even with just six levels you can get "enough" ranged damage for it not to be totally pointless. "Enough" in this instance meaning able to kill a trash mob on a ledge without it taking all night, or kite a boss if things go really pair-shaped(this is why even on builds where it is entirely sub-optimal, I usually carry a bow and quiver full of arrows).

I'm presently toying with something like 11 ranger/5 wizard/ 3 rogue - primarily 2wf from ranger, get the perma-tensers from EDK tree on wizard along with some CC effects, then trapping and sneak attack damage from rogue. I kind of like this idea because tensers not only helps with melee but also improves manyshot.

Also toying with 3 paladin/5 wizard/ 12 artificer - again grabbing perma-tensers off EDK and using a greatsword for melee(this would be on a bladeforged iconic). This is the least optimal build, I did a test on it last night and found it was very starved in the stats department. But it may be possible to work around; and having displacement and very good self-healing was nice.

There also the good old fashioned 6 artificer/6 rogue/8 ???? that's fun for heroics.

Also pure artificer taking a feat for bastard sword and using the Renegade Mastermaker tree...

I can definitely see where 18 ranger/ 2 rogue meets my criteria the best; but honestly, I don't like it. The goal for any of these builds is not "be the very best" or "10 skull every quest" - I just enjoyed playing a single character where I had multiple options. One of the really fun aspects of the juggernaut was if I felt like a change, I could respec into artificer SLAs and be a shitty spellcaster for an afternoon. Its really just having that variability while still being effective. I'm trying to recapture the joy of playstyles past.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
12 wiz 4 arti 2 rogue warforged? Evasion, can go undead, can go PK, reconstruct self, 20+ both melee and ranged power just from racial and harper, swf, ef. Can go tank if needed, 2 cleaves just from enchantments. Feats are: swf line x3, rapid shot, insghtful reflexes, precision, improves criticals. Wizzy ones are quicken, heighten and extend. For last one w/e you want either completionist if any, bastard sword prof or body feat. Int to hit and dmg from harper.
Can repaie self, do not-too-shitty dps, shoot with repeaters, respec in whatever you want for whatever quest you play.
Of corse without very solid set of pastlifes, books and gear this wont work outside heroics r1s and epic hard.
In general if you are not hunting for challenging difficulties almost anything may work, swashi-bard drow with shurikens at backup, pally arti splash, cleric falconer in war domain, 12 sorc/ 2 rog/ 6 pally bf and so on. Right now you can get good enough gear to make working almost anything. The issue is none of it working on reaper starting 3-5 skulls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Sep 8th, 2018 at 7:30pm:
12 wiz 4 arti 2 rogue warforged? Evasion, can go undead, can go PK, reconstruct self, 20+ both melee and ranged power just from racial and harper, swf, ef. Can go tank if needed, 2 cleaves just from enchantments. Feats are: swf line x3, rapid shot, insghtful reflexes, precision, improves criticals. Wizzy ones are quicken, heighten and extend. For last one w/e you want either completionist if any, bastard sword prof or body feat. Int to hit and dmg from harper.
Can repaie self, do not-too-shitty dps, shoot with repeaters, respec in whatever you want for whatever quest you play.
Of corse without very solid set of pastlifes, books and gear this wont work outside heroics r1s and epic hard.
In general if you are not hunting for challenging difficulties almost anything may work, swashi-bard drow with shurikens at backup, pally arti splash, cleric falconer in war domain, 12 sorc/ 2 rog/ 6 pally bf and so on. Right now you can get good enough gear to make working almost anything. The issue is none of it working on reaper starting 3-5 skulls.

12 + 4 + 2 = 18. Missing a few levels, there Tongue

Why 4 arti and 2 rogue? EG what do you get from those 2 rogue levels? I see Evasion, but didn't that get nerfed?

In general I am liking the build a lot, any reason not to do it on an Iconic Bladeforged? +1 heart out of the paladin level of course, which will be worthwhile on the life I am plotting. I have completionist, plus 3 PLs on the melees and ranged, full +7 tomes, and oodles of gear. Plus I have another life or two to farm.

I am liking this build idea a lot so far!
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:28pm by noamineo »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Theory-crafting a bit on Rzyman's build:

Quote:
12 Wizard/ 6 Artificer/ 2 Rogue

Build is full int-based

12 wizard - You're missing out on Finger of Dead, so this is not going to be a DC-caster. That frees up some feats, then focus on AOE spells. Has the option of being a PM or EDK depending on the mood, since the feats are not focused on getting high DCs. Also has the option of all the best wizard buffs.

Feats - Quicken, Heighten, Extend

6 artificer - gets you in to 3rd level artificer spells, you could then use Int to Damage from that and save points from Harpers tree. You've also got the option for flame turret and curative admixture for healing your companions in reaper.

Feats - Single Weapon Fighting, Improved SWF

2 rogue - for evasion and a little Sneak Attack damage.

Only really 1 open feat in there, be very tempting to take Bastard Sword. You've also got Master's Touch so that opens up options.

The main focus of this build is versatility. You can change out what you want to be by resetting enhancements. The DPS is not top-tier but the survivability is good. I think there is potential.

Currently looking at doing Bladeforged Iconic, but this build can play on any race without loosing much. Human might be a good choice for the free feat.

This is mostly just notes for myself but I welcome feedback.

EDIT: Missed the Artificer bonus feat at lvl 4, that actually improves things a lot.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2018 at 6:31pm by noamineo »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Second Theorycraft:

12 wizard/ 4 artificer / 4 fighter

Still int-based, this time relying entirely on Harpers Int to Damage.

Quote:
12 wizard - provides mostly buffs and AOE. Has lots of options for changing out playstyle by resetting enhancement trees.

Feats - Quicken, Heighten, Extend

4 artificer - trapping, runarms, repeaters, basically all the fun artificer capabilities. Rune arms are especially important as you melee with a 1-handed weapon.

Feats - Rapid Shot OR Bastard Sword proficiency, depending on how much balance you want

4 Fighter - gives you improved melee capabilities and a lot of extra feats.

Feats - Single Weapon Fighting, Improved Single Weapon Fighting, Greater Single Weapon Fighting

You could probably get by great just using whatever weapons are available and not burn a feat on an exotic one-handed weapon. Again the DPS is not going to be top of the line, but it provides the high degree of utility and ability to change out playstyle with a simple enhancement respec.

Build could be human for extra feat, but then you are locked in to PM for self-healing(or good old UMD scrolls/etc).

Bladeforged offers a lot better option for self-healing(especially since you already have Quicken from wizard), but costs enhancement points. Would work great if you already have the 10 racial AP to throw at it.

Notes - I personally cannot stand having to UMD-heal on a melee character. Maybe its just me, but the game always seems to take a long time to register my change-item keypresses, so I invariably end up swinging ineffectually with a scroll and wondering where my DPS went.

I may actually try out a variation of this build next life on a dwarf to finish up my dwarf racial lives. I've been looking for a hilarious deep-splash built. I'd only be playing it for a few levels, though, so it'd be a good proof of concept while not mattering so much if ts gimp AF.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Yes, sorry, posting at nights mostly, before go to bed, so was just tired Smiley 13 wiz 2 monk 5 arti is way to go imo. Monk = extra feats + evasion and better saves, 13 wiz open both PK and fod, 5 arti allows to go t5 BE if you feel so. Evasion is still as great as it used to be if you can handle to have high reflex. Fighter splash is the best and I am personally myself gonna run 8 ftr 12 wiz wf (str based though), yet you have to choose what to drop: evasion and ef or kensei t5, or ability to do traps like I will.
For pally splash there may be interesting options too, yet pretty high to slot cha, con, int and str at once. Super high saves may be used nicely with evasion, while in sacred defender you may find a good use or extra 20% hp. BF themself have reconstruct sla and repair spells. If you okay to drop evasion there is your new jaggernaut:
14 pallly 5 arti 1 wizard BF.
Main role: offtank thw or tank with shield.
Feats:
1) power attack
3) cleave
6) ada body
9) imroved crit slashing
12) shield mastery
15) improved shield mastery
18) combat expertise
21) overwhelming criticals
24) construct exemplar
27) epic damage reduction
30) bulwark of defence
26) guardian angel
28) elusive target
29) deflic warding OR dire charge.
Wizard feat: quicken
Arti feat: extend or rapid shot.
Starting stats:
13 str
18 cha + lvl ups
Rest into con and int, w/e you feel comfy up to your tomes.
Skills: intimidate, umd, dd, search, repair if have points
14 pally cause of holy weapon
1 wizzy cause if quicken, 3 buffs, +10% AC.
5 arti cause of ability to take t5 renegade mastermaker.

Weapons: sos, esos, riftmaker, epic antique gaxe, rage chain scimitar + shield set, tail, any vorpal repeaters, Fatal Flaw.

First role to level up self is thw bruiser. So you will need to slot cha, str and con. Cha for saves and divine might for ins str. you'll need swap gear for traps anyway, including int, and if you go harper you may use int gear when go ranged. For ranged swap to both repeater and runearm. Vorpal repeaters working on heroics fine without any stat to damage.

You can go t5 BE + t3 harper and use repeater only if you feel like, may go kotc t5 and rmm to have 4 cleaves on heroic (+momentum and lay waste on epics!), may go t5 rmm and t4 std to become unkillable tank (ton of ac, +16 con and +40% hp).

This is solid set for epics too. Good crit profile, good str (so okay DCs), 6 cleaves, solid tankiness and self repairs. In LD you can perform decent dps both with repeater and thw, in US and shield in offhand you may become very nice self sufficient tank.

Cons:
1) you cant have all at once. Being tank nerfing damage badly, being ranged nerfing rest, expensive racial tree. Overall to switch styles you'll have to respec a lot.
2) very gear and tome dependent. Hard to trap without int tomes, gear swapping and trapping skill tomes.
3) you may find self very tanky on lower epics, yet still not playable on higher skulls until you find a guy who will repair you. If you handle to gather party with a wizard and/or some artificers you may run midskulls with it as intimidate tank. But until than nope, r1 max.
4) no really good way to spellcast. You still can take up to t5 arcanotechnician, but hey, this wont work outside epic normal Smiley

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
Yes, sorry, posting at nights mostly, before go to bed, so was just tired Smiley

LMAO yep, the big problem comes when you decide to TR into the wrong build at that time Tongue

13 wiz 2 monk 5 arti is way to go imo. Monk = extra feats + evasion and better saves, 13 wiz open both PK and fod, 5 arti allows to go t5 BE if you feel so. Evasion is still as great as it used to be if you can handle to have high reflex.

I like this build a whole lot, actually. I'll need to theory-craft it a bit but I like it a lot. It definitely offers all of the wide array of playstyles I am after. I particularly like being able to throw wraps on occasionally and just beat on shit. Its usually horribly ineffective but the monk unarmed animations are so satisfying to watch.

Fighter splash is the best and I am personally myself gonna run 8 ftr 12 wiz wf (str based though), yet you have to choose what to drop: evasion and ef or kensei t5, or ability to do traps like I will.

I played a 6 fighter/ 14 wizard, it was great. 8/12 would be a considerably better split. You get more than enough fighter feats but keep all the best wizard buffs and still get to do a little nuking. It was entirely too much fun. My main problem was remembering to keep death aura up and spam negative energy burst, but when the stars aligned and I remembered how to play my character, it did great.

For pally splash there may be interesting options too, yet pretty high to slot cha, con, int and str at once. Super high saves may be used nicely with evasion, while in sacred defender you may find a good use or extra 20% hp. BF themself have reconstruct sla and repair spells. If you okay to drop evasion there is your new jaggernaut:
Main role: offtank thw or tank with shield.
Feats:
1) power attack
3) cleave
6) ada body
9) imroved crit slashing
12) shield mastery
15) improved shield mastery
18) combat expertise
21) overwhelming criticals
24) construct exemplar
27) epic damage reduction
30) bulwark of defence
26) guardian angel
28) elusive target
29) deflic warding OR dire charge.
Wizard feat: quicken
Arti feat: extend or rapid shot.
Starting stats:
13 str
18 cha + lvl ups
Rest into con and int, w/e you feel comfy up to your tomes.
Skills: intimidate, umd, dd, search, repair if have points
14 pally cause of holy weapon
1 wizzy cause if quicken, 3 buffs, +10% AC.
5 arti cause of ability to take t5 renegade mastermaker.

Weapons: sos, esos, riftmaker, epic antique gaxe, rage chain scimitar + shield set, tail, any vorpal repeaters, Fatal Flaw.

First role to level up self is thw bruiser. So you will need to slot cha, str and con. Cha for saves and divine might for ins str. you'll need swap gear for traps anyway, including int, and if you go harper you may use int gear when go ranged. For ranged swap to both repeater and runearm. Vorpal repeaters working on heroics fine without any stat to damage.

You can go t5 BE + t3 harper and use repeater only if you feel like, may go kotc t5 and rmm to have 4 cleaves on heroic (+momentum and lay waste on epics!), may go t5 rmm and t4 std to become unkillable tank (ton of ac, +16 con and +40% hp).

This is solid set for epics too. Good crit profile, good str (so okay DCs), 6 cleaves, solid tankiness and self repairs. In LD you can perform decent dps both with repeater and thw, in US and shield in offhand you may become very nice self sufficient tank.

Cons:
1) you cant have all at once. Being tank nerfing damage badly, being ranged nerfing rest, expensive racial tree. Overall to switch styles you'll have to respec a lot.
2) very gear and tome dependent. Hard to trap without int tomes, gear swapping and trapping skill tomes.
3) you may find self very tanky on lower epics, yet still not playable on higher skulls until you find a guy who will repair you. If you handle to gather party with a wizard and/or some artificers you may run midskulls with it as intimidate tank. But until than nope, r1 max.
4) no really good way to spellcast. You still can take up to t5 arcanotechnician, but hey, this wont work outside epic normal Smiley

I'm not really as intrigued by this build. I feel like that 1 wizard level isn't adding a ton of value to the party. All the first-level wizard spells are kind of shit. That handful of buffs just don't scale. That said, there aren't any classes that add much value at lvl 1, so if you only have the one level to splash that might be the way to go.

With the right gear set, arcanotechnician and the electricity SLAs do provide some decent spellcasting opportunities. I've had no trouble getting the DC on Lightning Spheres up high enough to daze trash mobs in EE. No idea how it will work on reaper since I haven't played an artificer since pre-reaper. The spellpoint costs and low cooldown for Blast Rod SLA make it a very good spam AOE attack. The main problem is A] you need to gear into electric spell power heavily, and B] you need to find fucking mobs that aren't immune to electric attacks. Which seems to have been turdbin's favorite mechanic, just randomly make every mob immune to a few elements so spellcasters get fucked over. Fire is the favorite woopin' boy.

It's a great build overall, but I'm not sure it quite hits all the points I am looking for as well as that 13 wiz 2 monk 5 arti you suggested. Still, I will probably have to do a life of it Tongue my most recent play experiences have taught me that I HATE early heroics, so I'll be stickin with the iconic TR train for a bit!

I am also now starting to like 12 arti/ 6 fighter/ 2 monk as a general idea. Still bladeforged, for reconstruct Tongue Now that I know you have to build into reflex save to make evasion work I think I can have some fun with it.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Pure ranger tempest.   In no way is that capstone worth giving up for trap skills.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 11:36pm:
Pure ranger tempest.   In no way is that capstone worth giving up for trap skills.

That's not a utili-build, though Tongue that's just a pure ranger. No trapping, no option for any kind of spellcasting(no, the handful of ranger spells don't count). You pretty much need to choose between twf and ranged, and you can't re-spec without a bunch of expensive feat swaps. Pure rangers are good, but no utility.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 11:49pm:
That's not a utili-build, though Tongue that's just a pure ranger. No trapping, no option for any kind of spellcasting(no, the handful of ranger spells don't count). You pretty much need to choose between twf and ranged, and you can't re-spec without a bunch of expensive feat swaps. Pure rangers are good, but no utility.

Ranger is autogranted TWF, ITWF, GTWF, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Manyshot, and IPS

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 2:25pm:
Ranger is autogranted TWF, ITWF, GTWF, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Manyshot, and IPS

Yes. No one is disputing whether or not ranger is a good class.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 8:19pm:
Ok did. Well its something ancient :-D Nowdays you'd call it gimp :/

Before mastermaker is was gimp.  Arti was repeater or caster, any melee build was strictly flavor.  Now, it kinda works.  It's sorta like bard, a blue bar that can fight and throw spells/heals.  I think it's still mostly flavor, but I haven't run it so I can't speak from play knowledge.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:05am:
Before mastermaker is was gimp.  Arti was repeater or caster, any melee build was strictly flavor.  Now, it kinda works.  It's sorta like bard, a blue bar that can fight and throw spells/heals.  I think it's still mostly flavor, but I haven't run it so I can't speak from play knowledge.

Do you think the old-style Juggernaut level split could be made to work? 2 paladin/2 monk/16 artificer; using bastard swords 1-handed and the Renegade Mastermaker tree?

What I found when I tried to play the build last year is that while it was still extremely survivable, it was just garbage at DPS. The original build used 2-handed greataxe.

I'm honestly still not sure what changes happened to nerf the original build so badly. When it first hit the field it was amazing.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
If you okay to drop evasion there is your new jaggernaut:

So I did a build-test on this guy last night. Bladeforged iconic at 15, very shit for gear and no tomes(gear was whatever was laying around in the shared bank). First thing to say - wait as long as you can to take the paladin levels so that more int tomes kick in, you'll want as many skillpoints as possible to feed into Search&Disable. That being said, it was a pretty fine build, even on gimp AF first life bladeforged. Plenty survivable, decent DPS, easy switch between playstyles. Will definitely be giving it a more solid go life after next on my main.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I am currently trying out 13 wizard/5 artificer/2 monk. Mainly using SWF with a bastard sword and runearm, switching to repeater when I'm too lazy to chase down mobs. The DPS is respectable, but not very high. I have particular trouble in dungeons where the mobs are giant bags of hit points, but over all the kill counts are good. The trapping is a bit iffy, but I really only needed the ability to trap, not to be a dedicated trapper.

Over all I am enjoying the crap out of the build. It offers exactly the sort of zainy, varied gameplay I like. At the moment I am running in EDK, but will try out PM and Renegade Mastermaker when I get bored.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:39am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 11:08am:
I'm honestly still not sure what changes happened to nerf the original build so badly. When it first hit the field it was amazing.

I don't think that it was so much nerfed as things around it were buffed to the point that it became sub-par.  The original was before my time so I'm just speculating here.

noamineo wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 11:16am:
(back when evasion was good)

noamineo wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 12:15pm:
I see Evasion, but didn't that get nerfed?

Why the hate for evasion?  Light or no armor and evasion is still better than heavy armor.  Medium armor is speculative based on your ability to build in dodge via enhancements.  Heavy armor is mostly just easy mode prr.

A class that uses heavy armor might find it easier to go heavy, but most classes and builds will get better defenses with light and evasion.  I linked a heavy armor in guild chat a while ago and a guildy said 'only a 2 mdb.'  I replied 'I have a 10 dex so...'  But that was in heroics and on a build that didn't use dex at all. 

Digimonk wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:35pm:
Eliminate the classes that don't exist in all three lists:

And that would be all of them, since cocoon is a tier 1 twist.

You want more heals?  Play a damn cleric and stfu.  Or go aasimar since hands is so op.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:39am:
I don't think that it was so much nerfed as things around it were buffed to the point that it became sub-par.  The original was before my time so I'm just speculating here.

There was definitely a nerf somewhere. The first time I played it was OP as shit, facerolling content and high DPS. I then tried it again a few lives(and many updates) later. Same content, same gear, same difficulty... Very different experience. No idea what happened, I suppose its possible I just built wrong.

Why the hate for evasion? 

No hate! Just lack of understanding. I've taken multiple long breaks from the game and don't always know fads from mechanics. For a while it was in vogue to splash 2 levels of monk for evasion, then I recall hearing that evasion had been nerfed and was no longer worth it. Its clear to me now(after playing another evasion build for the first time in a while) that I was understanding it wrong. We all make mistakes. When I first started playing, I was told any bluebar class should splash a level of sorcerer for 200 extra spellpoints. Boy was that a mistake.

Light or no armor and evasion is still better than heavy armor.  Medium armor is speculative based on your ability to build in dodge via enhancements.  Heavy armor is mostly just easy mode prr.

A class that uses heavy armor might find it easier to go heavy, but most classes and builds will get better defenses with light and evasion.  I linked a heavy armor in guild chat a while ago and a guildy said 'only a 2 mdb.'  I replied 'I have a 10 dex so...'  But that was in heroics and on a build that didn't use dex at all. 

Thanks for clearing that all up! Really wish the wiki was as useful and concise as some of the vaulties Tongue

Appreciated.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 11:11am:
When I first started playing, I was told any bluebar class should splash a level of sorcerer for 200 extra spellpoints. Boy was that a mistake.

When I first started playing I was told that all of my characters needed to take toughness to be viable.  I came from PnP where I would never have taken toughness, but the guy was a vet and I was a noob so I listened to him.  Turns out he was one of those vets who clings to old ideas, and toughness was a thing of the past.  But you do get one free feat respec per char, so it wasn't a complete waste.

More on evasion:  It isn't worth a damn if you don't make that reflex save.  So if you go evasion you also have to stack up reflex or it's just a waste of time.  And ofc stacking up dodge is obvious if you're ditching heavy armor for robes/light.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint