Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I am the MAN! (Read 4312 times)
Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Re: I am the MAN!
Reply #25 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 4:03am
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:56pm:
I wondered why I stopped seeing Favor Runners around Cannith a couple of years ago.

You stopped seeing Favor Runners around because the leader was gone for a while. When he came back he founded Tycoons of Tomorrow.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #26 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 4:03am:
You stopped seeing Favor Runners around because the leader was gone for a while.

Yeah, no.

You're making a connection there that is irrelevant.  A guild starts but doesn't always end with the guild leader.  There are a ton of active guilds with either inactive leaders or founders that flat out quit the game.

The guild will continue doing what the guild was doing with or without their leader if they have even a handful of decent officers.  In this case what we were doing was running favor.  We'd roll new toons, run them through Korthos and the harbor, hit 100 favor, delete the toon and start the process again.

It was a complete waste of time and I lost interest very quickly, but it really was our only group activity.  We didn't run static toons, we didn't group much, we didn't raid - we ran favor.

And when the core of the guild had bought everything (either through favor runs or, like in my case, finally breaking down and spending money on the game because that makes more sense), we stopped running favor.  Once we stopped running favor we basically stopped recruiting because we weren't spending as much time in Korthos where we'd been doing most of our recruiting (plus there were less people to recruit by that point).

After that it was never really so much of a guild as a group of people working together to get one of the best ships on the server.  Well before people started punching boxes in the necropolis, we were easily in the top ten guilds for guild levels.  We never took quest rewards, we took renown.  We didn't take XP or tomes for sagas, we took renown.  The last thing even resembling a guild function I remember us doing was running saga chains together for renown.

Honestly I stayed with the guild for years longer than I should have because it was dead and inactive only because we had such a good ship and I'd spent so damn much time and effort getting it that way.

Favor runners didn't come to an end because of the leader.  Favor runners died (still weird when I see one now) because we never did the same things other guilds did.  We were free-agents sharing the same ship.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #27 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:12am:
Yeah, no.

You're making a connection there that is irrelevant.  A guild starts but doesn't always end with the guild leader.  There are a ton of active guilds with either inactive leaders or founders that flat out quit the game.

The guild will continue doing what the guild was doing with or without their leader if they have even a handful of decent officers.  In this case what we were doing was running favor.  We'd roll new toons, run them through Korthos and the harbor, hit 100 favor, delete the toon and start the process again.

It was a complete waste of time and I lost interest very quickly, but it really was our only group activity.  We didn't run static toons, we didn't group much, we didn't raid - we ran favor.

And when the core of the guild had bought everything (either through favor runs or, like in my case, finally breaking down and spending money on the game because that makes more sense), we stopped running favor.  Once we stopped running favor we basically stopped recruiting because we weren't spending as much time in Korthos where we'd been doing most of our recruiting (plus there were less people to recruit by that point).

After that it was never really so much of a guild as a group of people working together to get one of the best ships on the server.  Well before people started punching boxes in the necropolis, we were easily in the top ten guilds for guild levels.  We never took quest rewards, we took renown.  We didn't take XP or tomes for sagas, we took renown.  The last thing even resembling a guild function I remember us doing was running saga chains together for renown.

Honestly I stayed with the guild for years longer than I should have because it was dead and inactive only because we had such a good ship and I'd spent so damn much time and effort getting it that way.

Favor runners didn't come to an end because of the leader.  Favor runners died (still weird when I see one now) because we never did the same things other guilds did.  We were free-agents sharing the same ship.

Favor Runners was a unique situation for such a large guild in that the bulk of the recruitment was driven by one guy, Jephthae, who would literally log on and spam invites to every single person who wasn't in a guild. Doing that leads to far more rapid growth than, say, posting a lfm inviting people to join your guild, but it also leads to far higher turnover as people either leave the guild or leave DDO. That guild model is only sustainable as long as someone keeps on recruiting to replace the people who leave and/or quit, which was happening right up until Jeph left, at which point the guild started shrinking because Asu (the guy who took over) had no interest in spamming mass invites.

If you're looking for any more proof, Jeph came back and started Tycoons, where THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED - it grew rapidly right up until he left again, at which point it shrunk rapidly. But hey, if you want to pretend that things were way more complicated than they actually were go right ahead.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #28 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:45pm:
Favor Runners was a unique situation for such a large guild in that the bulk of the recruitment was driven by one guy, Jephthae, who would literally log on and spam invites to every single person who wasn't in a guild. Doing that leads to far more rapid growth than, say, posting a lfm inviting people to join your guild, but it also leads to far higher turnover as people either leave the guild or leave DDO. That guild model is only sustainable as long as someone keeps on recruiting to replace the people who leave and/or quit, which was happening right up until Jeph left, at which point the guild started shrinking because Asu (the guy who took over) had no interest in spamming mass invites.

If you're looking for any more proof, Jeph came back and started Tycoons, where THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED - it grew rapidly right up until he left again, at which point it shrunk rapidly. But hey, if you want to pretend that things were way more complicated than they actually were go right ahead.

I'm realizing we're are probably talking about two different eras and what you're referring to most likely was before my time.

I'm pretty sure I was recruited in early 2011 into the Favor Runners (hard for me to pin-point because I started on a different server and I can't remember how long exactly I'd been playing before switching to Cannith).

When I was recruited, we were medium at best, there was a single girl in charge of recruitment (can't remember her handle, shame since she was the best part of the guild) and we didn't do blind invites.  If someone was cool, nice, and showed promise in the game - they were recruited.

She left the guild during one of my early rage quits, so probably the end of 2011 or 2012-ish.  After that, no one bothered recruiting.  Hell, I was an officer for years and I sure as hell couldn't be bothered.  Not that there was really anyone new to recruit anyways.  The shadowfail years were a drought when it comes to people joining the game.

Tycoons is a total shitfest of a guild now.  They're by far surpassing HoD as a hardcore newb guild.  They've had to have recruited hundreds of the new players over the past few months to boost their ranks.  HoD has been running at max capacity for well over a year.  If someone is looking for a guild, we'll make some room.  But at this point most of HoD's members are more just relatively inexperienced or casual, which is more than I can give ToT.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Darcat
DQ Assaulter

BEEFCAKE!!

Reply #29 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
made 7 mil today how you scum doin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tymWpEU8wpM&index=50&list=RDHm7vnOC4hoY

YOU DRINK THIS LOVE!! LOVE!! LOVE!!

IP Logged

Darcat