Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Pointless "the motheboards suck" post (Read 4613 times)
Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Re: Pointless "the motheboards suck" post
Reply #25 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
The interesting thing about the discussion (even if it is kind of derailed from the OP) is that everyone is kinda right.

Rose-Tinted (henceforth RtG) argues that the DDO f2p model is outdated. This is true. He also argues that VIP is basically a requirement. While I don't agree with this 100%, from the perspective of a NEW player, it would seem to be very much true.

I have guildees who STILL don't own Red Fens or Threnal, and grouping for certain levels is a hassle since 90% of the content at those points is p2p.

Noanimeo argues that a lot of the MMO landscape has borrowed their business model from Mobile Gaming, which is Micro-Transaction pay-to-win Hell. That is also correct. DDO gives the option to buy the packs individually or "lease"them via VIP. Again, this is either shrewd business or unintentional excellence on the part of SSG (I believe the latter).

I personally only had 2 months of VIP that came with the Uber-Bundle of Ravenloft. I enjoyed the Elite/Reaper unlock, but I felt railroaded the entire time. I bought or ground out the TP for most of the content, but I have at other times shelled out more than a VIP would ultimately have cost. I see this from both sides.

Skoodge and Asheras I agree with: They need to start adding some loss-leader player-friendly stuff to the mix for Daily Dice. I have 15 alts and not ONE of them needs even the Tomes or XP that I'd get for rolling 100. And forget all those useless pots... I chug them right away or they just clog up my inventory.

Asheras also made a point of saying that the XP rewards should be higher because then you could conceivably bank enough for Level 4. I sort of agree... But I see why they aren't doing it. Better would be an option for "Veteran TR" that lets you TR with 80k XP. I'd gladly pay to skip Korthos.

Hilariously, the OLD lottery that showed up in your mail was better. I at least had a use for some of that stuff... Free hirelings, hair dye/ hair styles. Astral Diamonds, Beholder Gems, Mummy Rot cures. The odd trinket crafting blank.

I don't know what the answer is here, since I haven't played enough of the other available MMOs to judge. But the ones I did play didn't hold my interest for more than a week or two before I wanted to come back to DDO, which is telling.

Also telling is that I now log into DDO maybe 5 times a week and maybe run 4 quests in that time. I just can't face the grind. Too much development time has been wasted micro-targeting to the shut-in ultra-grinders who already had Triple Completionist everything before Reaper rolled out.

It's not the developers job to cater to somebody who won't play anything but their one preferred build. That's a personal problem and self-imposed limitation, like Perma-Death. If you're steamrolling content, try another build. Don't piss and moan in the Mobos until the devs rebuild the entire fucking game (Reaper mode) to suit your fucking whims.

That time would have been better spent creating more quest content that's sorely need from 20-30.

I did go check out the trailers for Black Desert Online... It looks a little "Anime Phanboi" but seems interesting.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #26 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
You make some great points, Metal. I, too, would definitely love to see some kind of "TR into veteran".

I did once actually spend the better part of a year(!!) banking XP from weekly VIP gold roles and daily silver roles. I wasn't logging in every single day, but I did make sure I got my weekly gold; I also only saved the silver gems worth 300 or more.

It took 6 different characters(I refuse to farm inventory space on mules, so limited to 3 packpacks and 2 banks), plus a good chunk of shared bank, LOTS of jumping around, to hold it all.

The end result of my troubles? about 240k, or enough to get halfway through level 6. I definitely spent more time playing "inventory tetris" to make this happen than it would have taken my to grind out the XP by running quests.

If the process of banking the XP had been less of a hassle it would actually have been worth the effort, and I'm even seriously considering gold-rolling for 80K just to get out of fucking korthos(estimate it would take around 400 shards, 26 roles, assuming an average of 3k per roll).

But we'll never see any improvement, because the shut-in ubergrinders will insist that "durrrrrrrrrrrr, it only takes a few hours with 50% potions, durrrrr, it doesn't matter if its fun or nooooot" and then go masturbate their tiny dicks with tweezers.

I'm a little bitter, is what I'm getting at.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #27 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
The <1000 xp stones I just use right away.

Anything 1k+ though I bank.  It only takes 8k to hit level 2.  One trip around the harbor on R1 in about 40~50 minutes is enough to get you to level 4~5.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #28 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I'll remember that trick in the future. I know it doesn't take long but just the slog from 1-2 has gotten unbearably tedious. Its not a time issue its a bordem issue - i only have a couple of hours a few times a week to play.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #29 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 4:11am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 1:27pm:
I don't know what you're smoking, but VIP is by no means required. Most old content is irrelevant to new players. All they really need is Ravenloft (note: does not come with VIP), though Vale of Twilight, Slavers, and WPM would also be worthwhile.

It is interesting that VIP becomes a better and better deal over time to someone who owns no content, since they keep releasing new content though.

Lol mate you have no idea how many packs you are playing just to get to 20. Even with all the cheese and farm you are minimum doing von, necro 2, 4,  3bc, RR, vale, gianthold. If epics add sands, gambit, amrath, sentinels, carnival. VIP gives most classes and races. Now count all of thos shit and convert to $. Ah, almost forgot, if you actually not runing VIP and 30-50% pots you need like 2 times more packs if you dont want to farm all the shit on r-e-h starting life 3.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #30 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 4:57am
Print Post  
I've not run level 1-2 for years.  I use up XP stones to get to level 2, then hit up the ship.

It's all about minimal equipment swapping as you level. Less time spent managing inventory and more time playing the game.

My main levels for swapping are:
Level 5: +4 stats on cannith equipment (no more stat potions)
Level 10: +6 stats on cannith equipment & extra slot & ravenloft stuff
Level 15: +8 stats on cannith equipment.

Sure there are a bunch more items swaps that happen along the way (typically 1 sometimes 2 items at each level), but those are the main "change everything" levels. Keeping life simple and easier is better than maxing out everything at every opportunity.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 2:55pm:
I did go check out the trailers for Black Desert Online... It looks a little "Anime Phanboi" but seems interesting.

I watched a friend play it for about 30 mins once and it looked dull as dirt.  But he said he was playing a low level alt and that the 'real game' whatever that meant didn't start until you got past some level 50 quest or something, since it did look so dull I wasn't paying close attention.  Until then I think people can't pvp you and all you do it run solo quests and set yourself up to work on crafting skills while you're offline.

That advancing while offline thing seems like a very different thing, since I'd love for all of my trash look to melt itself for me if I logged off with it in the shared bank.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 4:57am:
I've not run level 1-2 for years.  I use up XP stones to get to level 2, then hit up the ship.

It's all about minimal equipment swapping as you level. Less time spent managing inventory and more time playing the game.

Sure there are a bunch more items swaps that happen along the way (typically 1 sometimes 2 items at each level), but those are the main "change everything" levels. Keeping life simple and easier is better than maxing out everything at every opportunity.

That looks pretty much like what I do, except I do equip a 3 or 5 piece might or a 5 piece sorcery set at 8th.

Since the tr just freed up my bank and inventory slots, minus the coin lord and kundarek ones you have to re-earn, I try to just pile the items I'm going to be wearing next into the character bank to avoid hunting through mules in the middle of a play session.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #33 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:41pm
Print Post  

I actually happen to like swapping out my equipment; my main complaint about the low levels is that the gear is so uninteresting. Its less about having best-in-slot gear for every level, and more "ooh, I get to use this cool item I spent a month farming for!"

Probably going to put together a similar group of gear-sets though. The main hassle right now is that farming for named loot is a giant pain in the ass. It took me, I shit you not, close to 700 runs over multiple lives of Tavern Brawl just to get fucking Barbette's Bracers. I don't want to think about many times I'm going to have to do Slavers part 1 to get the Spinneret.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Awww nomeow thinks he’s people

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #35 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  

Level 15: +8 stats on cannith

With pastlifes, reaper points, ship buffs, etc not really need anything but invulv armor and nicked weapon till 4-7. May want crafted keen weapon with ruby of ghostbane.
At lvl  7 +5 red fens gear (tasty 30 striding for ones without quiver), now bta
Lvl 8 heroic slavers
Lvl 10 ravenloft gear, no see point to craft anything at this level.
Lvl 13 +7/3 stat gear
Lvl 18 +9/4 stat gear
Lvl 23 +11/5 stat gear or wpm stuff.

Used to use devil handiwork set for trappers, especially splashed ones, but ravenloft stuff kinda better in all positions, have crafted +25 dd/17open lock googles for 8 base int builds though Smiley

Ravenloft gear changed itemization both for heroics and epics. You can get just like + ~20 melee power with 2 sets and some mythic bonuses, thats insanely big for lvl 10 and no crafted gear can get you there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint