Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) U40 Monk Nerfs (Read 13604 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

U40 Monk Nerfs
Sep 13th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: U40 Monk Nerfs
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
No problem for me, ever since Steel tipped me to quarterstaves being the real DSP weapon for monks, that's all I use... so strong!  I'm crushing normal and even hard content all day yo.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
...we are changing the innate Unarmed Strike feat that Monks get every 4 levels to grant +1 to Attack while using Handwraps instead of 0.5[w]. This reduction (a total of 2.5[w] for pure Monks)...

Shrugs. I never liked monks anyway.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
No problem for me, ever since Steel tipped me to quarterstaves being the real DSP weapon for monks, that's all I use... so strong!  I'm crushing normal and even hard content all day yo. 

the fact that they are lowering monk dps further when there were already numerous animal builds, tempests, rogues, barbs, and fighters all doing more dps, is kind of funny.

They dont know why monks are good. they dont really understand how to craft and execute optimal rotations, and yet they somehow have monks coming ahead of other builds. Can you imagine just how shitty they are with those other builds then?

One of the guys from cannith, and a khyber player all replied with what the devs should already know. the guys who replied are all end game players, doing high skull content and smashing shit. steel isnt going to hear any of it. they have their plan ; to save face from all the forum spammers crying about monks, while using purposely hidden metrics so no one can prove them wrong publicly.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Rickyretardo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Retarded changes as always. people were already tring out of monks before this.. who is their QA guy and can we sponsor him some fresh colored straws to match his wheelchair?

Monk sure as hell going to suck to level up now, even more than before.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Rickyretardo wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 4:08pm:
...who is their QA guy...

Cocomajobo

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:36pm:
the fact that they are lowering monk dps further when there were already numerous animal builds, tempests, rogues, barbs, and fighters all doing more dps, is kind of funny.

They dont know why monks are good. they dont really understand how to craft and execute optimal rotations, and yet they somehow have monks coming ahead of other builds. Can you imagine just how shitty they are with those other builds then?

One of the guys from cannith, and a khyber player all replied with what the devs should already know. the guys who replied are all end game players, doing high skull content and smashing shit. steel isnt going to hear any of it. they have their plan ; to save face from all the forum spammers crying about monks, while using purposely hidden metrics so no one can prove them wrong publicly.

I am sure that Steel just decided this was an issue with the whole duality crisis.  It's probably an easy change to make so, why not.  Fucker.

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
What I found amusing was Steel's reply about the broken "Ki Shout" which is currently using Intimidate not Concentration for it's skill basis like its supposed to. It worked for a VERY long time and since I haven't been doing a monk for awhile I am not sure when it did break but the implication that it's "It's not small" for a fix is awfully perplexing given that as far as I know the enhancement was never effected by gear that gave intimidate bonuses. I am just ponder what they have it tied too now that makes fixing that so difficult really.

Its just duplicating a current game skill using a different basis... I have no idea why it would have been messed with in converting wraps to weapons in the first place either given... well logic as far as how I would have coded something I just don't see a relationship off the top of my head where they really would have had to mess with the old version. but... Turdbin err SSG I guess...

It's also hilarious how they seem to not be able to watch the DPS test videos Symb and others are posting to actually gauge real world skills and uses. I mean it's the obvious clue train here...

IP Logged

Rickyretardo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Synchrono wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 5:05pm:
's also hilarious how they seem to not be able to watch the DPS test videos Symb and others are posting to actually gauge real world skills and uses. I mean it's the obvious clue train here...

Fairly sure they know exactly what they are doing. Balance, or the lack of balance, is a part of their business model.

Still it must be considered bad timing to nerf a class that marries so well with the new falcon shit enhancement. Perhaps they sold enough already?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 4:58pm:
I am sure that Steel just decided this was an issue with the whole duality crisis.  It's probably an easy change to make so, why not.  Fucker.

Not even about monks anymore. At least not to me.

It is just such a blatant dismissal of the players that are left, who play the game at the highest levels this game offers. The devs need to stop that shit.

And it is not just one guild on one server here. There are many servers, with a bunch of guilds, that have highly skilled players and maxed ( or close to ) characters, and are pushing the limits of what is possible. Detailed tests, spreadsheets, direct statements, and videos as evidence, all being ignored in favor of the dev's internal dps testing.

The nerve of those lil niggas to even suggest that they could even perform a hidden test, to a fraction of the skill, nuance, and intelligence of what is being displayed, publicly, by the best players left in the game... 

Do they not know that ballpark doesn't work if the measure is to balance between comparison? Tests can be wildly off depending on numerous factors. The results from someone who cannot nail down rotations, build properly, and gear correctly will mean the difference of thousands of dps at the minimum. That level of ineptitude does not scale, so that ball park figures can be the weights which we are balancing on.

One of them is gearing, innocuous decisions like including improved deception in your dps test will raise the times more than your damage modifier item. Where a thf build would omit improved deception and a rogue would slot it. That needs to be accounted for, and the only way would be to time it with and without.

APM, monk in particular can arrange 2 to 3 basic ki strikes before the first comes off of cooldown. This matters more for light monk than dark, because light won't be using as many finishers as dark monk does. Then you can squeeze in around a full rotation of 6 ki strikes if executed perfectly, non-stop in a forever spam chain. But, the better rotation is to include fists of iron and triple earth finisher. Those 2 are slower in response time when clicked, and the finisher is even more finicky to time. Too fast and finisher is wasted, netting a loss over basic 6 ki attack rotation. They're not doing all that. Don't lie to yourself. 

Enhancements. The best kobold build will differ 5 to 10 seconds from what an in-game build needs to stay alive. I am going to assume they directly copied some of those characters from the videos. I am also going to assume they just maxxed all past live between builds to even that out.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2018 at 5:36pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 5:33pm:
Not even about monks anymore. At least not to me.

It is just such a blatant dismissal of the players that are left, who play the game at the highest levels this game offers. The devs need to stop that shit.

And it is not just one guild on one server here. There are many servers, with a bunch of guilds, that have highly skilled players and maxed ( or close to ) characters, and are pushing the limits of what is possible. Detailed tests, spreadsheets, direct statements, and videos as evidence, all being ignored in favor of the dev's internal dps testing.

The nerve of those lil niggas to even suggest that they could even perform a hidden test, to a fraction of the skill, nuance, and intelligence of what is being displayed, publicly, by the best players left in the game... 

Do they not know that ballpark doesn't work if the measure is to balance between comparison? Tests can be wildly off depending on numerous factors. The results from someone who cannot nail down rotations, build properly, and gear correctly will mean the difference of thousands of dps at the minimum. That level of ineptitude does not scale, so that ball park figures can be the weights which we are balancing on.

One of them is gearing, innocuous decisions like including improved deception in your dps test will raise the times more than your damage modifier item. Where a thf build would omit improved deception and a rogue would slot it. That needs to be accounted for, and the only way would be to time it with and without.

APM, monk in particular can arrange 2 to 3 basic ki strikes before the first comes off of cooldown. This matters more for light monk than dark, because light won't be using as many finishers as dark monk does. Then you can squeeze in around a full rotation of 6 ki strikes if executed perfectly, non-stop in a forever spam chain. But, the better rotation is to include fists of iron and triple earth finisher. Those 2 are slower in response time when clicked, and the finisher is even more finicky to time. Too fast and finisher is wasted, netting a loss over basic 6 ki attack rotation. They're not doing all that. Don't lie to yourself. 

Enhancements. The best kobold build will differ 5 to 10 seconds from what an in-game build needs to stay alive. I am going to assume they directly copied some of those characters from the videos. I am also going to assume they just maxxed all past live between builds to even that out.

Yeah, the problem is, if he was to have a serious convo with the top players it would just go badly for him.  I doubt he could handle the curtain being pushed back that much... Or making changes he didn't think of..  I am sure he hides behind thinking he's doing the right thing for the game....

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
The decision has already been made Steel (and Sev for that matter) get so butt burt when they get called out for being wrong they just stick their fingers in their ears and do stuff anyway. No amount of feedback is going to change their minds.

IP Logged

Rickyretardo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:39pm:
The decision has already been made Steel (and Sev for that matter) get so butt burt when they get called out for being wrong they just stick their fingers in their ears and do stuff anyway. No amount of feedback is going to change their minds.

Ye, but they will provide some sort of sedative applied to the nerf due to the whining of the community. This is also standard SSG-doctrine.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:39pm:

This is it exactly.  Many people could provide carefully explained feedback using real numbers and they would still ignore it due to pride or ignorance or both.

They don't even seem to know the names of the game mechanics they are changing.  What does this even mean:
Quote:
To correct this, we are changing the innate Unarmed Strike feat that Monks get every 4 levels to grant +1 to Attack while using Handwraps instead of 0.5[w].

What does +1 to Attack mean?  Attack is a feat and a stance, and it doesn't have any numbers associated with it.  Adding +1 to it is meaningless.  Does he mean +1 to hit?  I'm just guessing.  Why should we have to guess?

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 8:36pm:
What does +1 to Attack mean?  Attack is a feat and a stance, and it doesn't have any numbers associated with it.  Adding +1 to it is meaningless.  Does he mean +1 to hit?  I'm just guessing.  Why should we have to guess?

Monk fists are craftable?

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #15 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 8:36pm:
What does +1 to Attack mean?  Does he mean +1 to hit?

No.  He means +1 to your attack modifier.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Attack_bonus

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Attack_Roll

"To Hit" is not actually a thing anymore.  That died when THACO went away with third edition.  It is an Attack Roll.  With an attack modifier.

Your character sheet and weapons call it an Attack Modifier, as well.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I love the snarky replies on the mobo thread. seems players have had enough of steel's shit. #quaterstaffs

IP Logged

imanoob
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Sigh, no one wants this shit (I don't play Monks btw). Why do they do it? (rhetorical question).

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #18 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 6:59pm:
I love the snarky replies on the mobo thread. seems players have had enough of steel's shit. #quaterstaffs

Guess a few more folks are about to get banned from the mobo like me this weekend lul.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #19 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I can't wait to see the infraction I get for telling lynnabel to take away Steestar's login credentials.
But she did respond:
Quote:
Decisions of game balance (such as the unarmed strike change) are not made by just one person.

Furthermore, if I were truly able to change what's happening, I'd have also hit their Jade DCs on the way down.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 6:52pm:
I can't wait to see the infraction I get for telling lynnabel to take away Steestar's login credentials.
But she did respond:

if it were up to her, she'd nerf a class that she has no idea how to reach its potential. She literally thinks monks have too many ki strikes. bunch of left button mouse clickers making balance decisions

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #21 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 6:55pm:
if it were up to her, she'd nerf a class that she has no idea how to reach its potential. She literally thinks monks have too many ki strikes. bunch of left button mouse clickers making balance decisions

While Lynnabel has proven capable of being a dumbass here or there, she's also proved capable of listening to feedback and blowback by players.

The only time Steelstar has changed his mind in the past 3-4 years; was adding Battlefist to Renegade Mastermaker. And I'd almost guarantee that's due to someone else in the office having made the code work while Steel was jerking off to his proposed changes as per usual.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #22 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 9:09pm:
While Lynnabel has proven capable of being a dumbass here or there, she's also proved capable of listening to feedback and blowback by players.

I genuinely think that Lynnabel means well. I also think that her willingness to communicate has convinced a lot of players that she's far, far more competent than she actually is.

As far as I can tell she feeds off of the ass kissing that she gets for fixing typos and gets extremely vindictive when someone so much as hints that they don't want what she's selling. Read: what allegedly happened when she she requested to join a guild and was declined.

She isn't god's gift to DDO, she's just a mediocre, occasionally petty, former intern that they presumably hired because she was cheap.

IP Logged

abcdefg
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 5:54am
Print Post  
From what I gather from Lynn's posts she has been working there for two years, first as an intern and now as a full time employee. I also gather that her capabilities don't extend far beyond fixing typos.

If a company sees fit to hire a full time 'dev' who after two years can't do anything but edit item descriptions, why would anyone expect any of the senior devs to be any good at their jobs?

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #24 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:00am
Print Post  
Steel doesn't believe in peer review. There's a reason that evidence and methods are shared within  a critical community. Scientific methodology is pretty simple.

Imstead we get dad saying, "Just trust me. That quarterstaff capstone was really overperforming."

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint