Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Lynnabel Says ToD Rings Will Remain Broken Forever (Read 4534 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Lynnabel Says ToD Rings Will Remain Broken Forever
Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/499242-The-(New-and-Improved)-Hey-Lynn...

Quote:
ToD rings were built to compensate for the lack of heroic greensteel handwraps. Now that we have heroic greensteel handwraps, ToD rings are not a design we'd like to push going forward.

Is this true? That the rings were made as a compromise for the lack of greensteel handwraps? This is way before my time on DDO. Was that the devs intention when they released shroud and ToD?

And what does Lynn mean by "not a design she would like to push going forward"? Does she mean the on hit procs on items? Like the new level 6 helmet with an on hit proc that she designed? Or like the ravenloft raid trinket with the on hit proc that she designed?

Why am I so mad at this? Seems like I shouldn't be? But then it seems like she just said so she can push the design forward in her new loot designs?
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:00pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

abcdefg
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Lynnabel Says ToD Rings Will Remain Broken Forever
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Yes. Although it wasn’t a perfect compromise as everyone else got to put +2 exceptional stats on them (this was back before they changed it to insight. +2 exceptional stacked with +1 exceptional). They were still incredible though.

She probably just means the items are too old to be worth dev time.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:17pm by abcdefg »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
It does seem odd that creating a whole new raid with new loot mechanics was easier than making heroic greensteel wraps... was Lynn even around in the ToD era? I'm curious if maybe she's extremely confused...

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Wow those devs actually compromised with the players... crazy

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
I wouldn’t call it a “compromise”, more like a “compensation” for not having greensteel handwraps.  That said, they should just revamp the damn gear to modern stats and skip the greensteel buff.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:06pm:
I wouldn’t call it a “compromise”, more like a “compensation” for not having greensteel handwraps.  That said, they should just revamp the damn gear to modern stats and skip the greensteel buff.

This is pretty much what they need to be doing every time there's a loot revamp, with every piece of legacy equipment.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:06pm:
I wouldn’t call it a “compromise”, more like a “compensation” for not having greensteel handwraps.

I'd say "workaround" is most accurate definition Smiley

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:59pm:
Is this true? That the rings were made as a compromise for the lack of greensteel handwraps? This is way before my time on DDO. Was that the devs intention when they released shroud and ToD?

I dont think the actual ToD raid and ring design were specifically for monks. However the implementation of the bursts into the 'Incredible Potential' seemed so.

Unarmed users: Two bursts

Everyone else: +2 exceptional stats (stacked with +1 exceptional)

You could also get healing amp, and the retro version of "spellpower" however these weren't that good compared to +2 Exceptional.

I remember the Night Revels handwraps being a huge deal back then. Then Alchemical hand wraps finally came out. 

edit: The first night revels event (called Mabar) was a shit show. Massive lag. Instances with not enough people. You prayed your instance was able to kill the spectral dragon.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:36pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
The ToD rings had an affect that added damage to unarmed combat.  There were other affects that worked with everything else.   This was done because GS weapons were the meta at the time.   (Pre-alchemical)   As monks were released AFTER shroud, handwraps were not in Shroud/GS.  So their DPS was lacking a bit.  Also DR Bypass was a bitch without Min II.   There were level 8 wraps out of Shadow Crypt that were pretty good for this. 

Anyways, they put holy on the ring to give you DR bypass and extra DPS.   To balance wraps DPS a bit.   

Adding this effect to the ToD rings was easier than doing the handwrap re-work into actual weapons.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:27pm:
Also DR Bypass was a bitch without Min II.   There were level 8 wraps out of Shadow Crypt that were pretty good for this. 

Yeah the Devout Handwraps were a huge chaser item for unarmed users back then.

The launch of Cannith Crafting in 2011 destroyed the need to farm them entirely along with many other items.

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
When I get around to putting the items from ToD onto our new set bonus system and scaling effects I'll likely find some other thing to stick on them that isn't handwraps specific. Maybe even make some less restrictive set bonuses, who knows. My current priority is redoing s/s/s heroic loot, though, and I still have a ways to go before that's done. The good news is I'm able to keep a pretty steady pace, and I have allllll the time in the world to give each pack the love it needs to remain mechanically interesting while pulling out all of the old junk attached to it Tongue

Oh, wow. That recovery by Lynn. Balance 100/Dex 100.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 11:02pm:
My current priority is redoing s/s/s heroic loot, though, and I still have a ways to go before that's done. The good news is I'm able to keep a pretty steady pace, and I have allllll the time in the world to give each pack the love it needs to remain mechanically interesting while pulling out all of the old junk attached to it

What type of terrible priority is redoing heroic s/s/s base items? At the very least she should be making the epic versions less worthless while she's at it, but nope she's just going to make a bunch of low level shit marginally better and call it a day.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 11:38pm:
What type of terrible priority is redoing heroic s/s/s base items? At the very least she should be making the epic versions less worthless while she's at it, but nope she's just going to make a bunch of low level shit marginally better and call it a day.

That'd be logical. Why bother with the epic items when they figure it's much easier to just add new 'low level epic gear' via content. 

I'd almost say I expect them to do a shit ton of the S/S/S epic items in a single update pass. But let's be honest, they'd fuck that up so bad it wouldn't even be funny.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  

I am sincerely hoping all the work she is doing on Heroic SSS items is a necessary prelude to an overhaul of all the Epic Versions.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:34am
Print Post  

She did give an explanation but I can't find it anymore. And I forgot. Something on the line of what epic lvl would be appropriate since the epic-fied quests are not lvl 20.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:34am:
She did give an explanation but I can't find it anymore. And I forgot. Something on the line of what epic lvl would be appropriate since the epic-fied quests are not lvl 20.

Oh, god, please do not fuck with the epic levels on legacy S/S/S loot. Those are the only half-decent ETR twink gear out there.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #16 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:34am:

The path of least resistance would be to keep everything ml 20 but scale them as though they were higher to reflect the fact that they're more time consuming to get than the current loot system. They also generally have fewer effects per item than current named loot, which could be changed but probably wouldn't be.

It would be easy (but time consuming) to do a half assed pass where they just changed every single effect to match level 23 CC, added a trade in to the altar so people could upgrade their old items, and call it a day. I bet she could've done the whole thing in the amount of time she spent arguing with people about the crystal cove changes...
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:15pm by Pseudonym »  

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
As Asheras said, the holy burst was to break DR, mainly for Shroud and the ToD bosses at that time.  Lynnabel posted sometime recently that fixing the s/s/s heroic gear needed to be done first, before a pass on the epic versions could be done so take that as you will..

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #18 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Havn't equipped my Shintao set in years.  Does the good/evil bypass and 15% Threat still function?  Just curious really.  Will more than likely never ever use them for anything...'cept maybe nostalgia (till I need the bank space)

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Mokune wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:40pm:
Havn't equipped my Shintao set in years.  Does the good/evil bypass and 15% Threat still function?  Just curious really.  Will more than likely never ever use them for anything...'cept maybe nostalgia (till I need the bank space)

My guess is the holy burst doesn't work because handwraps are weapons now, not however they were coded as a part of the monk's body.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:20pm:
As Asheras said, the holy burst was to break DR, mainly for Shroud and the ToD bosses at that time.  Lynnabel posted sometime recently that fixing the s/s/s heroic gear needed to be done first, before a pass on the epic versions could be done so take that as you will..

Admittedly a lot of the heroic gear is garbage. I'm just concerned they'll change the epic MLs and then we'll have no more decent ML20 gear aside from CC.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #21 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:43pm:
My guess is the holy burst doesn't work because handwraps are weapons now, not however they were coded as a part of the monk's body.

Yeah I got that part.  I meant the Necklace and Ring Set Bonus that bypassed DR/Good,Evil.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Mokune wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:54pm:
Yeah I got that part.  I meant the Necklace and Ring Set Bonus that bypassed DR/Good,Evil.

Wasn't the holy burst the "good" DR bypass?  So no? oh,my bad.  That is the set bonus, I think that only the holyburst part is "broken"
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:06pm by Tspoon »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #23 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
BTW...the rings aren't "broken."

They just no longer work with handwraps because of the "handwraps are now weapons" change.

If you used Unarmed Combat (Monk, feat, or whatever), equipped the ToD ring and didn't equip handwraps, the ring effect still works.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #24 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:49pm:
BTW...the rings aren't "broken."

They just no longer work with handwraps because of the "handwraps are now weapons" change.

If you used Unarmed Combat (Monk, feat, or whatever), equipped the ToD ring and didn't equip handwraps, the ring effect still works.

...that means they're broken... Shocked

An effect that was specifically designed to work with hand wraps no longer works with hand wraps.  That's broken.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint