Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Dev Talk "The Endgame, Raid Loot, and Tomes" (Read 9648 times)
Rincewind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Dev Talk "The Endgame, Raid Loot, and Tomes"
Oct 24th, 2018 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Post: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/500537-The-Endgame-Raid-Loot-and-Tomes...

The Endgame, Raid Loot, and Tomes
Hello, all! I’m here today to talk to you about the Endgame. Yes, the big E Endgame. This is going to be a lengthy post, so I’m going to preface it with a quick “tl;dr” (too long, didn’t read) to keep in mind while proceeding:

TL;DR: Raid loot min levels are going down, raid loot stats from older raids are going up. No raid loot stats go down regardless of tiers. Raid runes for all at-cap raids, distinct tiers between those raids, tome drops standardized to Ravenloft levels for each tier of raiding.

TL;DR the longer version:

We’re going to shift all level 28 and 29 raid loot into designated “tiers” for raiding by pushing their minimum levels down, and we’re going to bring their stats up for certain raids to match appropriate values. Players with current legendary raid loot will be able to turn their old raid loot into new versions with a new raiding currency - Legendary Souls. We are also going to implement Raid Runes for each raid at cap that doesn’t have them already. Finally, we are going to clean up which tomes drop from which raid, as well as bring Tome drop rates up to match Ravenloft raid levels. We are doing this to improve previous raids and provide a structure for the future, as well as to provide an incentive to run a variety of endgame content on multiple characters.

So, with that out of the way, let’s start at the beginning.

WHY?

Right now, there are 11 raids at the level cap. This is more than there has ever been! However, it has been a challenge to keep the rewards from older cap-level raids desirable while adding new cap-level raids into the mix. Recently, we’ve been working to update older gear in quests, but tackling raid items is a massive task, so we’re looking at a broader solution for the long run. After a lot of careful deliberation, we are ready to make changes to ensure players who prefer to stay at the level cap have something to explore and work toward with their their high-power and high-level characters.

Currently, if you’d like to gear appropriately for your level in epic level content, there are not a lot of options until level 28, and then level 29 has way too many items to choose from. Frankly, there isn’t enough room at level 29 for gear choices to shine, and we want to fix that sooner rather than later.

We want people to have an incentive to raid at level cap. This is something we haven’t always prioritized, but we want to make sure this design space stays relevant long into the future. Not only have you talked about this a lot on the forums, but we’ve been talking internally about it for quite some time as well.

With that out of the way, let’s dive in to what this overhaul actually entails:

GOALS

This is what we hope to accomplish:
Create a clear and intuitive delineation between Raids at level cap based on several factors, such as:
The Minimum Level of the gear found in those Raids
The Tomes found in those Raids
The power level of the Raid Loot found in those Raids
Establish an easier way to communicate Raid Loot balance in the future
Incentivize a reason to run as many raids at cap as you want
Help support players who want to maintain “alts” at the end game.
Introduce a new legendary raid currency that we can support going forward
Provide design space to move forward in future content without overlapping what we’ve already introduced

WHAT’S HAPPENING?

Well, a lot, but it all fits together. First thing’s first, let’s clean up something that’s relatively independent of the other changes:

All at-cap raids that previously did NOT have Raid Runes will now have Raid Runes as a reward instead of their 20th reward list. This includes the following raids:
The Mark of Death
Temple of the Deathwyrm
Fire on Thunder Peak
Defiler of the Just

Additionally, Temple of the Deathwyrm and Fire on Thunder Peak will include Thunderforged Crafting materials - such as Fire or Shadow Dragon Phlogistons - in addition to their selection of Raid Loot, and The Mark of Death will include appropriate amounts of Masterwork Tapestry Shreds. Killing Time's Raid Rune selection will also now include Schism Shards.

We are splitting up the current 11 raids into 3 “Tiers,” each containing several raids. These Tiers will be distinct from one another in several ways, which we will cover in more detail shortly.

We are going to be boosting the power level of raid loot at cap. Items will either be boosted significantly, drop several minimum levels, or (most commonly) both. Items in Tier 1 will be weaker than items in Tier 2 or 3, but will have a lower minimum level. These higher power, lower level versions of the raid loot will drop where their originals did, at the same rate as before. If you have old versions of these items, you can turn them into their newer, higher power and lower level versions, with a new ingredient called Legendary Souls that we’ll cover further in a bit.

We are going to standardize Tomes and Tome Drops between each of the raids. You can expect Tome rates to increase to Ravenloft raid levels. Furthermore, Tier 3 Raids will drop +1 Racial Action Point Tomes, identical in functionality to the tomes found in the Ultimate Fan Bundle of the Ravenloft expansion.

TIERING THE RAIDS

Raids at cap will now be divided into Tiers. Each Tier will contain gear that is more appropriately scaled to the other raids in that Tier, and each Tier will encompass an entire epic level. Tomes will now drop at Ravenloft raid drop rates according to which Tier the raid is in.

This chart looks a little complex, so...

The Dirty Details:

Legendary Greensteel is not changing as part of this. LGS items are currently level 26, and will remain level 26. In fact, none of Legendary Shroud is changing, except for the tome drops, and those tome drop rates being brought up to Ravenloft standards. We are not pushing the raid down to Tier 1 because it uses Legendary Raid Bypass Timers rather than Raid Bypass Timers, and we’d like to keep a clear distinction between the two tiers.

Thunderforged Crafting will remain entirely unchanged as part of this overhaul. The Named Raid Loot that drops out of the Thunderforged Raids - Fire on Thunder Peak and The Temple of the Deathwyrm - are what’s being changed.

Legendary Tempest’s Spine and Legendary Hound of Xoriat will not have their Tome Drops adjusted.

Tier 1

Tier 1 contains the at-cap non-Legendary Raids that do not use Legendary Raid Timer Bypasses, and as part of this overhaul, these raids will have their named Raid Loot significantly boosted to compete with other Raids’ gear. Our intention is to bring these raid items close or equal to the power level of gear from Against the Slave Lords at level 26. These overhauled items will drop where the old items did, at the same rate that they did before. If you have old versions of these Raid Items, you will be able to exchange them for new ones with Legendary Souls. These Legendary Souls will drop from all at-cap raids, and I’ll go into more detail on those later in this post.

Tier 1 will contain +6 Ability Tomes and +5 to +6 Upgrade Tomes at the frequency that the current Ravenloft raids drop tomes.

Tier 2

Tier 2 contains the pre-Ravenloft Legendary Raids. You can expect the Raid Loot in this tier to be the approximately midway in stats between Slavers and Ravenloft, only available at level 27. Items in this Tier will be boosted to compete with each other, be better than the previous tier, and drop where the old items did at the same rate they did before. If you have old versions of these Raid Items, you will be able to exchange them for new ones with Legendary Souls.

Tier 2 will contain +7 Ability Tomes and +6 to +7 Upgrade Tomes at the frequency the current Ravenloft raids drop tomes.

TIER 3

Tier 3 contains the Ravenloft Raids - The Curse of Strahd and Old Baba’s Hut - as well as Killing Time, the raid that debuted in Update 40. These items are not changing in stats or effects, but will be available one level earlier than they were before, at level 28. Level 28 versions of these items will now drop where the old ones did at the same rate that they did before. If you have old versions of these Raid Items that are still level 29, you will be able to exchange them for new ones with Legendary Souls.

Tier 3 will contain +8 Ability Tomes and +7 to +8 Upgrade Tomes at their current rates, as well the +1 Racial Action Point tome.

LEGENDARY SOULS

Similar to Commendations of Heroism and Greater Tokens of the Twelve, we’re introducing a new Endgame Raid Currency in the form of Legendary Souls. Right now, their main use is to turn old at-cap raid gear into new and improved versions. In the future, they will be used for a variety of things, such as upgrading future raid gear or acquiring raid-level items.

You can find Legendary Souls in the end chests of at-cap raids, regardless of Tier. You can also transmute them out of Raid Runes, the ratio of which will be determined by the relative difficulty and the tier of the raid.

We see Legendary Souls as a good and clean jumping off point for future Legendary content, and we hope to incentivize players to run a variety of raids at cap rather than just the few they specifically want gear from. If a player does not need gear from a specific raid, being able to get something regardless is a good step to encourage raiders at cap to run a variety of content.

We recognize that right now the rewards for enfranchised at-cap players might not completely satisfy their wishes for something to work towards, but once the framework is in place we can add more uses for Souls to encourage endgame raiders to try and collect this currency, which in turn incentivizes raid diversity at cap. Legendary Souls will be Bound to Account on Acquire.

SUMMARY

We hope this overhaul improves the gameplay environment at level cap, and encourages players to raid as often as they would like and with a wide number of raids. We also hope this provides further reasons to maintain your alts and gear them up. We know this is a lot of change in a short amount of time, so we’re hopeful that you join us as we preview this new system on Lamannia in addition to providing your feedback in this thread.

We hope these changes set the stage for long-term enjoyment of the endgame. It’s a tough task to make sure the loot in older raids remain competitive as new raids are introduced, but it’s one we think is made easier through these clear changes in this update. DDO thrives on letting its players run what they want, and we think these changes allow us to fill out new content at cap, regardless of tier, without pushing players away from older raids.

Thank you for reading, and we look forward to your feedback!
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2018 at 12:55pm by Rincewind »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: Dev Talk "The Endgame, Raid Loot, and Tomes"
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 12:32pm
Print Post  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
The funny thing is, this sounds like a fairly good idea and change by SSG on the surface. 

Yet, it makes me significantly nervous given all their other recent, grandmaster level corrupt-a-wish changes.  Going to file this under the "what could possibly go wrong" category for now and see what sort of train wreck actually makes it to live.

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
If there's going to be a time where they REALLY fuck with/fuck up tome drops, it's going to be now. Curious to see how it turns out and if it really does invigorate (not even really sure that's possible given pop numbers) late-game raids.

IP Logged

SpookyBoi
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
If they manage to not SSGs this up, it'll be one of the best changes in years.

Reviving stuff like DoJ, MoD, and Thunderholme is fantastic for the game's health, there might actually be an endgame other than Endlessly grinding Baba/Strahd/Killing Time and high skull / easy completion quests (amber, memoirs).

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Cautious optimism, I guess. I've never been a fan of DDO's endgame; it hasn't been good ever since the cap was 20, and back then I was just starting out so I couldn't really play at endgame anyway.

But I'd be happy to see the endgame being revitalized, and seeing some of the older raids given a purpose. Would be nice to also see raids like ADQ, Twilight Forge, Ascension Chamber, Vision of Destruction, (Heroic) Hound, Tower of Despair, Lord of Blades, Master Artificer, Caught in the Web given more attention. Barring MA + LoB, none of the loot from any of these raids is remotely good anymore, and none of them are endgame... so most people don't see any point to running them.

One step at a time, I suppose.

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I can't help but notice that some of the DoJ and MoD items have 5 effects. I wonder if they will be Crystal Coved.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Dickbutt wrote on Oct 24th, 2018 at 8:33pm:
I can't help but notice that some of the DoJ and MoD items have 5 effects. I wonder if they will be Crystal Coved.

They'll keep the effects.  Check out the 11 minute mark here:

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
This is very exciting news. Hopefully, it will rekindle interest in the older legacy raids and even possibly bring more hard-core players back into those raids from the reaper hamster-wheel (full disclosure, I'm not a huge reaper fan). 

It could also offset the loss the Thunderholm raids suffered in player numbers. The limited material duplicating that took place the month it premiered really hollowed out the long-term numbers for players who played clean or came into the game in the years that followed. I have to say that if this is done even passably well, it will be great for the game as well as end-game.      
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2018 at 10:13pm by Bishop »  

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 10:30pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
I'm hopeful on this one, it could be a great thing.

That being said; please for the love of god don't further fuck up my Dethek Runestone than it already is/has been since the start.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #11 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I've gone through the loot.
The buffs to loot don't look like they're enough to revive the dead raids, except in a few cases.

1. Circle of Malevolence: gains good resists, insightful sheltering, and retains highest intim value in the game.
2. Shroud of Ardent: Healing Amp on neck was always good because it means you can equip an echo, bracers of the fallen, and silver threaded, while keeping healing amp. Upping the sheltering value might make the item usable.
3. Dethek Runestone: the insightful devotion may shoot up. The +2[w] was already ok. I'm not sure how it stacks up against properly build two-handed though.
4. Sightless: if you really hate the ring of prowess, this might make sense with updated CON and sheltering values.

Any others people were interested in?

Deathwyrm looks eternally dead. Fire peaks at least gives draconic reinvigoration. Tempest's Spine/Hox look like they'll stay dead except for the odd rXP run. RSO looks like it will stay dead except for people who want the gloves (which are BIS). Shroud is still something people need.

At least DOJ already has the best looking cloak in the game (which ya'll probably already destroyed or fed).
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2018 at 10:06am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
You've got all these stupid fucks cheering this on, when they don't understand that the impact of the change will be practically ZERO.

Give me one item you'll actually farm.

IP Logged

ISeeSockPuppets
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:11am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 10:18am:

They haven't shown the new items yet, dumbfuck.

Or did you miss the part where they are redoing the loot to match the current power curve. 

You are a special kind of stupid.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
You've got all these stupid fucks cheering this on, when they don't understand that the impact of the change will be practically ZERO.

I’d say I’m semi-excited. But it’s not because of better loot. Nobody is taking off the Silent Avenger set for anything else on any of the light melee builds. Molten Silver is still strong as hell.

But I’d say I’m more excited because it shows that maybe, possibly, with a very minute chance that the devs are finally coming to the realization that over half of the “cap” raids are an absolute joke and only ran because there’s one or two decent BiS items (mainly for casters) or useful swap gears that people may want.

Lynn is hilariously deceiving the mobos if anyone actually believes that there’s 11 raids in the “Big E”. I’d say at most there’s what? 5 that are actually worth guilds’ and players’ time to schedule into a weekly rotation. The rest are more along the lines of “well shit we got 5 people online and x wants a Draconic Invigeration weapon, let’s knock out 3 runs of FoTP and everyone pass the phlogs”.

Hopefully, maybe, improbably, cross my fingers that the devs may wake up and realize that while this is a step in the right direction, more needs to be done.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:29am
Print Post  

The dodge goggles from RSO, potentially. The item isn't really desirable right now, but it should continue to get better as more new loot pours in. Dodge is a defensive build pillar and not many items make for good dodge items, combined with its unique property of allowing dodge to slot on eyes, and the goggles should be a chaser item. eventually. until they power creep a stupidly large dodge value on another good item.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #16 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
ISeeSockPuppets wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:11am:
They haven't shown the new items yet, dumbfuck.

Or did you miss the part where they are redoing the loot to match the current power curve. 

You are a special kind of stupid.

I understand the loot system, and apparently you don't. Let me explain it to you, since you're just the average kind of stupid. Maybe you can read?  Cheesy

EXAMPLE

DOJ is a tier 3 raid, so its stats will be updated to match that of Slavelords. This follows how their universal loot system sheets now work.

BEFORE:
Sightless (Helmet): True Seeing, Deathblock VII, Ranged Power +6, Melee Power +6, Sheltering +35, Constitution +12, Empty Green Augment Slot , Empty Blue Augment Slot

AFTER:
Sightless (Helmet): True Seeing, Deathblock VII, Ranged Power +8, Melee Power +8, Sheltering +42, Constitution +17, Empty Green Augment Slot , Empty Blue Augment Slot

~~

And this is a a best case item, since it was BIS for awhile. Let's look at another former BIS item,

~~

BEFORE:
Dumathoin's Bracers (Bracers): Natural Armor +10, Elemental Resistance +45, Sheltering +30, Empty Blue Augment Slot , Dexterity +11

AFTER:
Dumathoin's Bracers (Bracers): Natural Armor +15, Elemental Resistance +60, Sheltering +42, Empty Blue Augment Slot , Dexterity +17

~~

Oh look, another item that is worse than quest loot. Go look at the tier2 raids. There's nothing there to update. RSO loot is already slightly better than Slavelords and the Armors all compete with Ravenloft sets.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:31am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #17 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:29am:
The dodge goggles from RSO, potentially. The item isn't really desirable right now, but it should continue to get better as more new loot pours in. Dodge is a defensive build pillar and not many items make for good dodge items, combined with its unique property of allowing dodge to slot on eyes, and the goggles should be a chaser item. eventually. until they power creep a stupidly large dodge value on another good item.

I take dodge in my reaper trees, enhancements, and twist to fill it out. Unfortunately, a new toon needs to slot it. The RSO loot ain't gonna change though.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:33am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #18 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:42am
Print Post  
What about the DoJ Wisdom/Ki goggles.  Those at ML 26 with better stats might be nice.   

I fed most of my Deathwrym, DoJ, MoD and FoTP gear to my sentient weapons weapons though since I didn't want to move it from my TR cache and I never thought they'd do something like this.   

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:46am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:42am:
I fed most of my Deathwrym, DoJ, MoD and FoTP gear to my sentient weapons weapons though since I didn't want to move it from my TR cache and I never thought they'd do something like this.   

Cry same

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Dragon Masque if they change Deception to old school improved deception potentially? Though I think its more likely they will change it to the scaling deception so will be meh as we are all using shadowhail

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
if I understand it correctly, all the raids will give runes, so you can buy the item you are farming for?

this is nice for any who didn't get the Anniversary Quiver...
its the only reason I would bother to flag for that raid again and I already have three, but I would be willing to help guildies farm it, if it was guaranteed

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #22 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  

Who gives a shit about the old items?

It's the Legendary Souls you can get in those old raids as well as the new raids that will allow you to either "freshen up" any older items you might use when TRing or for brand new (more useful) items in newer raids. Hell, you might even be able to turn in the Legendary Souls for things like Tomes or maybe stuff from the DDO Store.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  

Legendary Souls.  I'll even give you a bonus.  Teleport clicky belt from DoJ.

Your move.

You missed the forest for the trees.  The real benefit to this is that they're essentially moving towards a universal raid loot currency.

This will solve two of the main gripes with the current system:
  • Can't get old_item_xx because nobody runs those raids anymore
  • No reason to run old_raid_xx because the loot is outdated

With a universal raid loot currency, people can run whatever raids others are actually willing to run and farm enough souls to get the specific item they want from a raid that's not run often.

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2018 at 1:28pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #24 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 1:03pm:
Who gives a shit about the old items?

It's the Legendary Souls you can get in those old raids as well as the new raids that will allow you to either "freshen up" any older items you might use when TRing or for brand new (more useful) items in newer raids. Hell, you might even be able to turn in the Legendary Souls for things like Tomes or maybe stuff from the DDO Store.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint