Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Dev Talk "The Endgame, Raid Loot, and Tomes" (Read 9681 times)
Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Re: Dev Talk "The Endgame, Raid Loot, and Tomes"
Reply #50 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:02pm:
You know why they don't have a  universal currency that goes backwards.  Let's not pretend otherwise.

And let's also not pretend like the dupers killed the game. What killed the game was the various methods built around punishing dupers, which didn't have the capacity to differentiate between offenders and bystanders.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #51 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 11:24pm:
And let's also not pretend like the dupers killed the game. What killed the game was the various methods built around punishing dupers, which didn't have the capacity to differentiate between offenders and bystanders.

Let’s not pretend I said (or implied) “dupers killed the game”.    That’s a much larger scale comment than I was making.  (I don’t believe the game is dead for one.  So nothing has “killed” it imo).

Sure duping has had an impact on game decisions, like legendary raid bypass timers and the creation of other new currencies, but it didn’t stop them from allowing conversion with new cannith crafting or from allowing crafted items (tf, dragon armors, challenge gear, etc) from being sentient weapon food.   

SSG has been unwilling to create a system that allows any previous currency to purchase a new raid’s items directly.  Because the concept that people can acquire them on day one without actually running ever running the raid is considered a negative to the life/value of the raid. (Or purchase of the pack that contains the raid)  Allowing duped materials into that currency would dramatically increase that risk.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #52 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
Because the concept that people can acquire them on day one without actually running ever running the raid is considered a negative to the life/value of the raid.

People need carrots for challenging content. Duping provides a feeling of winning, still, because it lets you skip the challenge. It would be no fun if it wasn't "forbidden" though---it's like drinking beers as a kid.

Video games are a positive venue to express feelings of war, so stealing is not far behind. How many pen and paper campaigns dissolve into a bunch of murder hobos looting Faerun?

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #53 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 10:12am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 9:46am:
People need carrots for challenging content. Duping provides a feeling of winning, still, because it lets you skip the challenge. It would be no fun if it wasn't "forbidden" though---it's like drinking beers as a kid.

Video games are a positive venue to express feelings of war, so stealing is not far behind. How many pen and paper campaigns dissolve into a bunch of murder hobos looting Faerun?

I understand why people dupe.   It is just foolish to think that such choices don't have longer lasting consequences in an MMO.  This isn't a single player campaign like BG II where you can save your game and go on a murder rampage thru Amn.  And then just restore the saved game back when you are done getting it out of your system.  Or download Shadow Keeper or Dale Keeper and make yourself unbeatable and rampage through the game with impunity.  And then realize how short lived that enjoyment is and go back and play with some semblance of challenge.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #54 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 7:03am:
SSG has been unwilling to create a system that allows any previous currency to purchase a new raid’s items directly.  Because the concept that people can acquire them on day one without actually running ever running the raid is considered a negative to the life/value of the raid. (Or purchase of the pack that contains the raid)  Allowing duped materials into that currency would dramatically increase that risk.

Two of the "stated goals" are
- Introduce a new legendary raid currency that we can support going forward
- Provide design space to move forward in future content without overlapping what we’ve already introduced

The implication being that this NEW SYSTEM will allow some utility in as-yet non-existent content.

However, it is clearly stated that "moving forward in future content" will not "overlap what's already introduced".  It's EXPLICITLY stated that this New System will ignore old systems and that it will continue to do so in the future.

It's the ESSENCE of New Systems development at Turbine! 

Meet the New System, same as the Old New Systems.

The root of this NEW SYSTEM is that it denies players the opportunity to leverage their past efforts to enjoy current prizes, which is completely consistent with past practice.  What makes it potentially brilliant is that by not "overlapping what we've already introduced", they may have built in shitting on any New System that becomes an Old System, provided it continues to do this moving forward (for example, if two years from now this New System fails to overlap something introduced next year).

@Ash, That it also happens to agree with your hypothetical "the concept that people can acquire them on day one without actually running ever running the raid is considered a negative" is an emergent property of their demonstrated practice of holding  past efforts as valueless.

Turbine's NEW SYSTEMS always disregard extant systems, the development effort that went into them, the player effort in working through them, and the lessons that should have been learned from the process.

This is the real reason that there is not and never will be a "universal currency" that goes backward or forward.  Such a thing would require that NEW SYSTEMS integrate with and not break old systems, which also requires more effort than ignoring the old stuff, and also means that the NEW SYSTEMS wouldn't really be new. 

Let's not pretend it's ever about the player experience, it's about monetization.  New Systems are monetizable by Turbine through the Store and by developers through their resumes.  Enhancements to extant systems are not New Systems, require more effort than New Systems, produce less interesting bullet points on resumes, and implicitly require that extant systems be seen to have value.

Within two or three "updates", this will become another of many deprecated systems.  At that time, if we're lucky, Raid Runes will be more useful than Portal Fragments.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #55 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 10:39am:
Two of the "stated goals" are
- Introduce a new legendary raid currency that we can support going forward
- Provide design space to move forward in future content without overlapping what we’ve already introduced

The implication being that this NEW SYSTEM will allow some utility in as-yet non-existent content.

However, it is clearly stated that "moving forward in future content" will not "overlap what's already introduced".  It's EXPLICITLY stated that this New System will ignore old systems and that it will continue to do so in the future.

It's the ESSENCE of New Systems development at Turbine! 

Meet the New System, same as the Old New Systems.

The root of this NEW SYSTEM is that it denies players the opportunity to leverage their past efforts to enjoy current prizes, which is completely consistent with past practice.  What makes it potentially brilliant is that by not "overlapping what we've already introduced", they may have built in shitting on any New System that becomes an Old System, provided it continues to do this moving forward (for example, if two years from now this New System fails to overlap something introduced next year).

@Ash, That it also happens to agree with your hypothetical "the concept that people can acquire them on day one without actually running ever running the raid is considered a negative" is an emergent property of their demonstrated practice of holding  past efforts as valueless.

Turbine's NEW SYSTEMS always disregard extant systems, the development effort that went into them, the player effort in working through them, and the lessons that should have been learned from the process.

This is the real reason that there is not and never will be a "universal currency" that goes backward or forward.  Such a thing would require that NEW SYSTEMS integrate with and not break old systems, which also requires more effort than ignoring the old stuff, and also means that the NEW SYSTEMS wouldn't really be new. 

Let's not pretend it's ever about the player experience, it's about monetization.  New Systems are monetizable by Turbine through the Store and by developers through their resumes.  Enhancements to extant systems are not New Systems, require more effort than New Systems, produce less interesting bullet points on resumes, and implicitly require that extant systems be seen to have value.

Within two or three "updates", this will become another of many deprecated systems.  At that time, if we're lucky, Raid Runes will be more useful than Portal Fragments.

I see what you are saying.   I don't agree with some of the rationalizations for why old systems aren't used.  For the most part you could have stopped at "It is about monetization".  That's the root of it all, imo.

SSG makes adventure packs and expansions on the premise that people will pay for them.   That way they can pay their employees and return value to their shareholders.   That's the concept of SSG (and all for profit businesses).   Any system they design needs to support that core concept.   Why do people buy packs and expansions?  Some do it because they enjoy running content.   Some buy it only if there are rewards they want in the pack.   We see it every time a pack is released.  A decent number of posts that suggest the purchase decision is entirely linked to the desirability of the loot.   If they produce an update where the loot is obtainable without running the content or purchasing the pack, but relies only on past purchases, it undermines their core revenue concept.   

Past expansion packs are sunk cost and sunk revenue, correspondingly, past systems from them are mostly depreciated.    

You can make it be about "its too hard to incorporate past systems"  "it doesn't look good on my resume" and all that other stuff without facts to support them, if you want.  I don't know about any of that.  That gets too into the individual personalities of people who I don't know nearly well enough to speak on with confidence.   I'd rather just go with the most basic business fact of all:  They make stuff so that you will buy it.  Doing something that makes you less likely to buy it would be counterproductive.   Occam's Razor and all. 

Now, you do make a good point that if there is a way to incorporate past systems without putting the current pack/expansion's value proposition at risk, then that would be worthwhile to explore.   That would be in the form of consistency with UI, methodologies, structure, naming conventions, if not reuse of ingredients.   

One way for this would be for lost souls to be usable as an ingredient in upgrading future raid items (assuming we go back to a system where raid items can be upgraded) but not purchasing the base items themselves.  No matter how many LS you have from old content, you still need to run the new content to get the base items.  And you can tweak the number of lost souls needed for new content upgrades to be higher than past content (and have the lost souls drop in higher quantities in newer content such that the most efficient acquisition path for LS at any time is the new content) thus preserving the value of the new content while incorporating the old content.   

You had another good point that I agree with.   This one:

Quote:
the lessons that should have been learned from the process.

And that's a valid point.   They should not be doing BtC ingredients anymore.  Or slotting systems that don't allow you to remove individual items or re-slot things.   (Slave Lords crafting, I'm flipping you off)  A system where you have to destroy the whole item and lose all your ingredients if one thing is wrong is a bad system.   They should have learned that lesson by now.   

Best practices for systems can definitely evolve over time and be reused.   

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2018 at 2:08pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #56 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
What an excellent post, you just saved me a ton of time trying to write a much poorer version the same.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #57 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
You know why they don't have a  universal currency that goes backwards.  Let's not pretend otherwise.

Quote:
Provide design space to move forward in future content without overlapping what we’ve already introduced

Dude, I highlighted it and everything.

Edrein wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 11:24pm:
And let's also not pretend like the dupers killed the game.

Oh! No, wait ... without overlapping what we’ve already introduced answers dupping, too. Anyway, old argument is old. This new statement encapsulates it all, which is nice.

Meanwhile, it would be even more nice if there were a subscription that actually delivered all content.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Rincewind wrote on Oct 24th, 2018 at 11:58am:
Hello, all! I’m here today to talk at you about the Endgame.

Thank you for reading, and we look forward to ignoring your feedback!

Fixed that for you.

Dickbutt wrote on Oct 24th, 2018 at 8:33pm:
I can't help but notice that some of the DoJ and MoD items have 5 effects. I wonder if they will be Crystal Coved.

Thank jeebus that they seem to have learned their lesson about that hard 4 effect limit.

Technomage wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 1:03pm:
Hell, you might even be able to turn in the Legendary Souls for things like Tomes or maybe stuff from the DDO Store.

From what they have said, the stretch goal stuff will be cosmetics and other crap you won't want.  Unless you like cosmetics, I guess.

Digimonk wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 1:08pm:
Teleport clicky belt from DoJ.

The real benefit to this is that they're essentially moving towards a universal raid loot currency.

Any character at 28th who can't scroll tp has already failed.  A stack of tp scrolls is one less btc item you have to move out of your rez cache every life.  And would you actually wear that thing?  No right?  So its only value is the clicky and who cares how incrementally better something you're still not going to wear is?

Universal raid loot?  Where'd you hear that?  Money is on each raid having it's own special mat that will clog your green bag, taking the place and more of all those house D sigils they just got rid of.

Yeah, it's the old "We couldn't do it right so now we can't do it right" excuse.  At some point they need to suck it up and start doing the right thing.  If they keep clinging to this obsession about duped stuff in the past that was their own god damned failire in the first place they can never design things right in the future.  But then "We can never design things right in the future" is their mission statement.

Asheras wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:17pm:
I'd rather just go with the most basic business fact of all:  They make stuff so that you will buy it.  Doing something that makes you less likely to buy it would be counterproductive.   Occam's Razor and all.

If you want to get all occam on us, what is more likely to prompt the purchase of a pack:  An entirely new collectable system in 3-5 buggy as hell quests that get 70% fixed across 3 patches and then ignored in favor of new development, as they have always done forever, or being able to buy the pack and go talk to a new npc that came with the pack who will sell you better gear for some amount of crap that you might already have on you?  Occam says what?

Items that had some play will still have some play but will be slightly better.  Maybe 1-2 items will move into the worth wearing category.  Ungeared people will jizz themselves until they get wise or get good or both.  But it's all btc, so in the end it's almost useless anyway since it's just more crap to shuffle in and out of the cache.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #59 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:56am:
Unless you like cosmetics, I guess.

Guilty.

Frank wrote on Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:56am:
Ungeared people will jizz themselves until they get wise or get good or both.

Still guilty.

Revaulting wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 11:29pm:
Meanwhile, it would be even more nice if there were a subscription that actually delivered all content.

This.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Dwarven Zoo Keeper
Korthos Resident

I Love llama's!

Reply #60 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 9:46am:
How many pen and paper campaigns dissolve into a bunch of murder hobos looting Faerun?

98.609731% of the ones that start in faerun, with a 37.836846% rate of campaigns which start in other settings, and plane shift, or stumble into sigil, or what have you.

Well someone has to feed the trolls...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint