Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pre-U19 enhancement trees (Read 1342 times)
Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Pre-U19 enhancement trees
Nov 1st, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I enjoy meta builds, and squeezing the very last point out of your trees. But I also still miss the days when we used the crazy clunky points interface and the actual impact of enhancements and buffs were nebulous and there wasn't any metric offered up.

Does anyone have any funny or bad memories of building top flight toons from back then?

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Pre-U19 enhancement trees
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 5:36am
Print Post  
I miss the days when you could build an effective caster for endgame content.

But you basically needed to read through/have memorized the enhancements for the entirety of the class/es you were playing to start putting points into it.

I remember the first character I got properly geared for epics was a cleric, and I was complaining about how shit Turbine's implementation of clerics was. Then MOTU hit, and I just about quit the game.

Good times.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 5:06pm:
I enjoy meta builds, and squeezing the very last point out of your trees. But I also still miss the days when we used the crazy clunky points interface and the actual impact of enhancements and buffs were nebulous and there wasn't any metric offered up.

Does anyone have any funny or bad memories of building top flight toons from back then?

I remember back when you could make an actual melee undead that wasn't a bad meme. The old system for all of its flaws had some unique ways of making certain character ideas work out.

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I remember even farther back, like in '06-07 when so much of the mechanics and results determination was hidden from the UI that you were at best guessing what to do as you leveled up through the harbour. Gosh I created some seriously broken characters just trying to guess what was what. The fact that it was sort of based on 3E and so many of the feats, items, skills, etc... sounded familiar but were applied differently in the game was crazy and so much fun.

And by broken I mean broken bad, not broken OP.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2018 at 4:35pm by Bishop »  

IP Logged

Teth
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Ahh yes, the days of tempest giving attack speed then nerfed to fix “lag”

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Teth wrote on Nov 2nd, 2018 at 4:54pm:
Ahh yes, the days of tempest giving attack speed then nerfed to fix “lag”

Same days as when the Monks in Air stance got pure attack speed instead of some attack speed and some doublestrike like they get today.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
I liked the old system how you didn't have to take lots of dead-weight abilities. The trees inevitably involve putting points in some filler that you don't want to hit the points-spent prereq for the next tier of abilities.

A "just the good stuff" monk became like 120 AP with U19.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 12:01pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 5:06pm:

I remember going over every single race enhancements/bonuses in the game before rolling my dps focused rogue. At the time Horc was the best dps. I did another rogue life to pick up the pastlife feat which was basically a requirement. So I finally cap and start slowly gearing up. I eventually posted my build on the forums but everyone was saying human was the highest dps race. I couldnt believe it. I ended up missing a small change in the Update 11 patch notes. "Human Versatility damage boost is now percentage based instead of flat damage".  Apparently the damage boost worked with sneak attack damage too. Back then leveling a rogue was brutal. Doing a legend tr was basically torture. So unfortunately I had to stay Horc.

I prefer the Pre-U19 enhancements. It was slightly clunky due to the fact you cant readily see your progress or future enhancements. You had to scroll down a long list where you could easily miss things. I never really liked the talent trees. A lot of the enhancements felt like filler. A bunch of +[W] melee abilities and other useless junk. The old enhancements never had this. You were forced sometimes to pick filler stuff but only a few points to get to the required enhancements point spent on various prestige enhancements. The old system was jam packed with so many good enhancements. It was hard to choose before you ran out.

For those who are curious about the Pre-U19 enhancements and want to play around building a couple characters I managed to find one. Props to the person who kept the site up all this time.

Pre-U19 enhancement character builder: http://www.neurovat.com/ddochargen/home.aspx

EDIT: I forgot to mention the character builder doesnt list what the enhancements do. Just lists their name. Either use an archiving site or google "classname enhancements history".

https://archive.org/

wiki history examples:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Barbarian_enhancements_(history)  <-
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 8:56pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I remember when artificer dogs would do nothing but break boxes. My defenders are still always named Boxbane. Turdbin even took their own stab at joking about it:

Hunter of Boxes: The very idea of crates fill your iron defender with murderous rage! Your iron defender likes to smash boxes and gains the chaotic alignment.

I would actually love this if they actually had a squirrelly line of code that the Hunter of Boxes enhancement would add back in.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint