Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Arcane DPS pass (Read 18370 times)
crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Arcane DPS pass
Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:24am
Print Post  
So, Cordo talked about the upcoming arcane DPS spell pass.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/500969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUpnQaXr_I0&feature=youtu.be&t=941

(screen shot from youtube, good luck reading this...)

TL;DR:
New level 1 evocations dealing 1d6+2 per caster level, 2 spell points, no save
New level 9 evocations dealing 1d6+27 per caster level, 40 spell points, save half
Extra damage to existing spells that only deal damage (usually equal to +1 per CL for level 1 spells, +2 per CL for level 2 spells, etc. More for Polar Ray 1d6+16 per CL. Changed Meteor Shower to actually deal some decent damage)

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Re: Arcane DPS pass
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
TB;DR

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:47am:
TB;DR

tuberculosis doctor in case anyone was wondering

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Well ice looks good single target DPS wise now if you max CL and don't fail saves. I guess it depends on iceberg's cooldown. It's probably easier to fit the electric spells into your standard spell rotation (on a sorc) but you're still missing polar ray which is pretty nasty post update. New staff is good but it fucks up your gear slots. (~15% more damage with the staff due to MCL going from 33 to 38)

Pre-update with 80% crit chance and 1k spellpower air is the top dps at about 8k dps.
Post-update with the same crit chance and spellpower it looks like cold might hit 20k.
Keep in mind this is running magister with 2 tier 4 twists (+3 MCL and Eburst) with Empyrean magic as your third twist.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:50am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
If the t9 spells have long cooldown's, it's going to favor wizard quite a bit even though sorcs can get 10+ MCLs.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
It's humorous how SSG keeps fixing the wrong things. 

Spell points / point of damage is the problem they need to be fixing, not actual DPS.  50k DPS Evo caster will still be dead weight in R10s after they blow their spell point pool on the first 10 mobs assuming that the average player does not have an endless supply of potions to chug non-stop.

Melee DPS = autoattack and do X dps against every mob without running out.

Ranged DPS = autoattack and do X dps against every mob without running out.

Evo Warlocks = autoattack and do X dps against every mob without running out (even if X is laughably small in high skull reaper)

Instakiller caster = be smart about your spell point burn rate and able to make it from shrine to shrine without too much trouble

Evo Wiz/Sorc = burn 5k spell points to kill 5-10 mobs then wonder HTF you're going to avoid virtually piking while the rest of your party clears the way to the next shrine.

One of the easiest ways they could fix evo casters in reaper is to add a passive, fairly fast spell point regen effect to them.  Or in other words, just give Evo casters a stance that works in a similar manner to the Epic Defensive stance for melee.  Have it give a steady and relatively endless spell point supply to Evo casters while reducing non-Evo spellpowers and DCs to zero and reduce healing range to touch.

If they did that, at least Evo casters would be able to stay active, casting a steady stream of damage and feel like they're contributing to the group on a consistent basis which is what ranged and melee DPS currently do.

On a related note, so much for SSG not making balance decisions based on Reaper difficulty.  It's entertaining to see them squirm around that ultimatum since, no matter how they spin it, these sort of changes are only needed because Reaper utterly wrecked evo casters.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2018 at 12:44pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 12:38pm:
One of the easiest ways they could fix evo casters in reaper is to add a passive, fairly fast spell point regen effect to them.  Or in other words, just give Evo casters a stance that works in a similar manner to the Epic Defensive stance for melee.  Have it give a steady and relatively endless spell point supply to Evo casters while reducing non-Evo spellpowers and DCs to zero and reduce healing range to touch.

If the stance had a clause on each evocation spell cast then they could do without lowering DC and spell power across the board.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
One of the easiest ways they could fix evo casters in reaper is to add a passive, fairly fast spell point regen effect to them. 

If they give such a thing, whatever form it takes ( enhancement stance, destiny, feat ) they just kill every plain spellcaster class as everybody in spellcasting will want ot have access to that... so you'll end up with LVL X Wiz/LVL Y Clerics gimps just to get that Mana refill option.

It's just bad, as it's going to kill options instead of make more options viable.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:30am:
in case anyone was wondering

I didn't go to TBU to be called Mister.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 1:46pm:
If they give such a thing, whatever form it takes ( enhancement stance, destiny, feat ) they just kill every plain spellcaster class as everybody in spellcasting will want ot have access to that... so you'll end up with LVL X Wiz/LVL Y Clerics gimps just to get that Mana refill option.

It's just bad, as it's going to kill options instead of make more options viable.

Disagree.   Show me a healbot player that sacrifices 800+ positive spellpower to run in the Evo stance and I'll show you an idiot that quickly gets blacklisted from good groups.  Nobody's going to want a healbot that can't heal for shit.  A non-evo CC or instakill caster would be even more useless while running in an Evo stance if the stance was designed correctly. 

Current healbot builds and DC casters generally have plenty of spell points to make it from shrine to shrine assuming the gear, build and player are at least semi intelligent.  The spell soul gem things in reaper are more than enough to keep gas in their tank as is.

Evo casters on the other hand are just completely fucked by spell point pool burn rates in reaper and it gets worse as the skulls increase.

An instakill spell kills a mob in one cast and thus a fixed amount of spell points per kill whether it's EN, LE, or 10 skull.  Now consider how many spell points an evo nuker has to burn to kill an EN mob vs an LE vs a 10-skull.   There's the problem and it could be fixed by a stance if done right, which probably rules SSG out but the theory is sound.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:34pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:24am:

good luck reading this...

Challenge accepted.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I haven't played around with a caster build in YEARS and even then it wasn't that serious. Mage builds never appealed to me. Anyone mind giving a quick lowdown on their state in the meta right now? I'm reading some of the responses in this thread and they're informative, though I don't think I have a very full picture of casters overall right now.

From my standpoint (I mostly just do R1-R3 in heroics or E-R1 in epics, never spending time at endgame; TR hamsterwheel ftw), instakill casters seem more powerful than anything melee offers. Neither strikes me as overall useful as ranged physical DPS though because when compared to melee, ranged DPS sacrifices almost nothing in the way of damage while having vastly safer options than melee--ranged combines the safety of casters with the consistent output of melee, or the best of both worlds in other words.

The opinion here seems to be that casters generally are underpowered. So two main questions:
  • Is the difference really that catastrophic in higher level reapers so as to render casters useless?
  • Who are the worst and best casters right now (Shiradi, crowd control, nuker, instakill etc.)?

And I guess by extension, how you guys would go about changing things so they were more fair. I'm genuinely just out of the loop, lol.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I played an air savant Nuker when slave Lords the end game. You can get 7000 spell points pretty easily, and you don't use empower or intensify. In fact you don't even use quicken unless it's a DPS upgrade.

I would only use one shrine in each quest.

ATM tricked out air savant is like 8k DPS. Post update it will be around 12k. Cold savant looks to be the winter here at about 19k single target and 8.5k AOE or something.

At 19 kdps, that's less than 5 seconds to kill a helpless Target.
That's two to three minutes of sustained DPS on a boss to kill it in R10. So say you cast a spell every second and they average 40 spell points a cast. 180*40 = 7200 sp

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2018 at 1:19am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:27pm:
Challenge accepted.

And completed.

I feel like my racial lifes will become much more fun with this change.
Clearing rooms with aoe on r 5 r 6 as s orc with 1 2 spells, let the dream come true
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2018 at 10:06am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
What about the EK changes?

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #15 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 9:30am:
And completed.

I feel like my racial lifes will become much more fun with this change.
Clearing rooms with aoe on r 5 r 6 as s orc with 1 2 spells, let the dream come true

Heh, yeah.  Helf, Lock Dille, Fire Sorc...

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
DnD wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
What about the EK changes?

They will now be slightly less trash than before, but not a dedicated melee class.

There might be some melee/spells hybrid for elite/r1 difficulties, but why when the new spells are far better than what EK can manage to do with melee in those difficulties.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
It's humorous how SSG keeps fixing the wrong things. 

Spell points / point of damage is the problem they need to be fixing, not actual DPS.  50k DPS Evo caster will still be dead weight in R10s after they blow their spell point pool on the first 10 mobs assuming that the average player does not have an endless supply of potions to chug non-stop.

Melee DPS = autoattack and do X dps against every mob without running out. (even if X is laughably small in high skull reaper)

Ranged DPS = autoattack and do X dps against every mob without running out.  (even if X is laughably small in high skull reaper)

Evo Warlocks = autoattack and do X dps against every mob without running out (even if X is laughably small in high skull reaper)

Instakiller caster = be smart about your spell point burn rate and able to make it from shrine to shrine without too much trouble

Fixed that for you.

Evo Wiz/Sorc = burn 5k spell points to kill 5-10 mobs then wonder HTF you're going to avoid virtually piking while the rest of your party clears the way to the next shrine.

If they did that, at least Evo casters would be able to stay active, casting a steady stream of damage and feel like they're contributing to the group on a consistent basis which is what ranged and melee DPS currently do.

[quote author=062B252B2F2D2C29420 link=1542111888/5#5 date=1542130712]On a related note, so much for SSG not making balance decisions based on Reaper difficulty.  It's entertaining to see them squirm around that ultimatum since, no matter how they spin it, these sort of changes are only needed because Reaper utterly wrecked evo casters.

You've got that right, kiddo.

All they have done is to acknowledge the DPS issue with Evo casters while only slightly improving their position in elite content, and hardly at all in anything reaper.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:24pm:
Disagree.   Show me a healbot player that sacrifices 800+ positive spellpower to run in the Evo stance and I'll show you an idiot that quickly gets blacklisted from good groups.  Nobody's going to want a healbot that can't heal for shit.  A non-evo CC or instakill caster would be even more useless while running in an Evo stance if the stance was designed correctly. 

I'll take that challenge.  Most healbots I have talked builds with have said to me that they overheal by huge margins.  So huge that they are very comfortable dropping a lot of pos spellpower in favor of other things, and still report that their heals are fully capable.

Granted, these are all in good guilds where the heal amp of the people they are trying to heal is probably helping them ignore the need for pos spell power, and the things they pick up instead are mostly instakills vs evo, but yeah.  The point remains that healbots with a competent group don't need to be nothing but a healbot.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #19 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 12:44am
Print Post  
are any of the Arcane changes making DI damage abilities better?

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 5:01am
Print Post  
As per usual Digimonk proves why the devs shouldn't listen to players >.>

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 5:53am
Print Post  
The issue is the devs don't even understand the problem to come up with a viable fix. while Digi's solution was not great at least it tried to address some of the problems.

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
They will now be slightly less trash than before, but not a dedicated melee class.

There might be some melee/spells hybrid for elite/r1 difficulties, but why when the new spells are far better than what EK can manage to do with melee in those difficulties.

Sad

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #23 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 9:35am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 12:44am:
are any of the Arcane changes making DI damage abilities better?

Nay

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #24 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 9:37am
Print Post