Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Arcane DPS pass (Read 18386 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Arcane DPS pass
Reply #50 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Same reason why you don't give THF the same single target dps as TWF

Not every dps caster has to have the highest focused dps, or even aoe in the game. How much of a difference do you really think there is between a twf focused character and a thf?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
I'm not a numbers guy..if i had to guess probably not as much as there should be.

And why shouldn't sorc burst dps be the best in game? It's got a cost, you'd have to learn how to "git gud" to figure out which situations you lay into your spell bar or not, ect.

If you just make it infinite and sustained it'd just be a mostly better version of boring as fuck warlock. What I will agree with is echoes being reworked so when you blow your load you aren't absolutely useless as fuck. 15 spell points every what 5 seconds is kinda bullshit. up that to maybe 40 spell points every 5 and i think casters in general would be in a good place.

IP Logged

Petik
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Well the problem is they "somehow" turned D&D into PC game.
in PnP D&D casters are nukers. They can use only few nukes per day  but compared to lets say melees they nuke for fcking huge. In D&D roleplaying game with its lore etc. this is absolutely OK.
Problem in PC game with that is
1.) Meelees will complain about casters can do fcking huge nuke with 1 button.
2.) Casters will complain they do nothing for long periods of time between nukes.
3.) All will complain about casters do nothing for 10 mins. Then do "the thing" that solves every problem in 10 sec. Then cant do anything again untill rest.

So the DDO "solved" this problem by removing the huge nuke potential and extending the casting potential into point where lets say sorcerer compared to fighter is not that different (compared to PnP D&D)
Basically every fcking MMO does this kind of shit where every class is equalized compared to others. I would say DDO dont even does that "that mutch".

Everything was "almost" OK before introducing reaper.
In high skull reaper everything falls apart because of stupid scaling mechanics.
Casters are not able to huge nuke anymore because (you know why) but now they run out of juice compared to classes that dont give a shit about that blue bar.
Instakills are basically "natural" solution for that problem because they are sort of "nuke".

Real solutions for other spells are basically 4.
1.) Redesign reaper that it is something more interesting and not only stupid scaling mechanics (not gonna happen i think)
2.) Expand casters ability to cast even more spells before rest in reaper (almost)infinite in R10 maybe ? (very serious design and balance issues here)
3.) Provide casters with ability to trully nuke in reaper. Some shit like metamagic "REAPING SPELL: multiply spell damage output by X where X is skull number for the price of  ???" (maybe something like that could come in some form but somone must think about it more than me (30 sec) Cheesy )
4.) use instakills (not real solution)
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2018 at 6:42am by Petik »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm not a numbers guy..if i had to guess probably not as much as there should be.

Probably right. Though in r10 glancing blows are trash because the base damage is so low anyway. The benefit of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th attack are so severely diminished that the increased focus dps of swf or twf are more desirable than glancing for under three digit damage numbers. And Tempest puts out way better aoe dps in comparison due to dance of death being immensely better than glancing blows.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #54 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
As finger-licking retarded as Gramh is, I'm sorta in the same camp as him.

SSG has shown that they pretty much aren't going to be able to ever offer even the slightest tinge of balance.  I mean, Blizzard can't do it and they have 11tybillion hours of logs, have actual good players on staff, consult with pro gamers, etc...and they still can't balance for shit.

So why not go for fun instead?  Let evo casters continue to suck at single target dps but give them room clearing AE's that make it a viable alternative to IK's.

If casters are going to be the trash clear kings of DDO, then embrace it and make evo just an alternate path to necro/illusion.

Give bosses a new epic aura that makes them take an additional 9% less damage per reaper rank damage from AE's (Such that at R10 they're practically immune). Then make firewalls stack and do sextuple damage, chain lightning doubles in damage each time it bounces and can hit the same mob more than once and end up in a near infinite loop.  Triple the range of burning hands/acid spray and double its damage every few levels so it's doing like 64x base damage at cap.  Acid Rain applies a stacking DoT that does stupid levels of damage.  Otiluke's Sphere should be as grossly good as the ice orb from D2 Sorc and so on.

Whatever, just go ham on it.  Evo casters should be able to clear a room of any non-champs in one or two casts.

The R5+ sphere then has like a half dozen viable tank builds, several viable melee builds for taking care of bosses, casters can either go blaster or IK for taking care of trash and healers can keep doing their thing.  Ranged can keep on being shit boring to level and even more shit boring in raids.

That's about as balanced as your'e going to get.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2018 at 11:17am by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #55 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Quote:
So why not go for fun instead?  Let evo casters continue to suck at single target dps but give them room clearing AE's that make it a viable alternative to IK's.

This is how the POE devs do things.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #56 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Everyone here who is saying casters are gonna suck is straight up retarted.

You are grossly underestimating the power of AOE at range. You can hit 10k AOE dps on Elite on a caster which translates into 12-15s kill times on r10 held mobs. That's for a whole pack. On r6 it will be one rotation of aoe spells (if built correctly).

You're not gonna be able to DC cast on a sorc like you usually would but that's the price you pay.

Is it going to beat tempest or rogue? No.
But it's going to work.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2018 at 11:46am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #57 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
SSG pisses me off because they could so easily be marketing themselves as basically PoE the MMO.  Complex characters, dungeon crawling, TR cycles (seasons), etc...

Ah well...

It would be so nice if they had someone with some fresh ideas or innovation there.  I wanna believe that someone is there suggesting cool new shit but it's just WoTC constantly shutting them down.

Like, I remember Lynn talking about how Sentient Weapons was going to be this cool new thing that had never been done before in any game ever and it was going to totally blow our minds.  I legit got excited.

Then they released info and it was "LGS augments."

I want to believe on the drawing board it was a series of weapons that would have it's own quests inside of it, and it would become a sentient hireling companion that you eventually brought to life and all sorts of fun cool stuff.  But WoTC was like, "Nah...we'll save that for NWN.  What else you got?"

Anyways...

I mean look at what they did to Renegade Mastermaker.  In PnP it's about turning yourself into a badass magitek cyborg.

In DDO it's 90% repair spell SLA's and the one 'defining' attack they pulled from PnP they made suck. I mean it looks cool, so kudos on that, but an AFK warlock hits harder.

How they keep taking these potentially cool things and fucking them up is beyond me.  It took the community about 3 seconds to come up with 100's of cooler ideas for EK but Steel is all like, "Nah, we good fam.  You're getting a shittier version of tensers and that's it."

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #58 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 11:45am:
held mobs.

I think that's the crux of the issue for a lot of folks, myself as well.  In order for a DPS sorc to be worth the slot, you still need a DC sorc.  And if you have a DC sorc, that's two people who are gonna kinda suck on the boss fights, not just one when you're running sorc/rogue or sorc/tempest.

What would be nice is if there were some more conj/evo based helpless CC's in the game such that a DPS caster can still CC.  They won't get the IK's, but it should be "Control + AE DPS" vs. "Control + IK's".  Because right now it's "AE DPS" vs. "Control + IK's" and that's not even a contest.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Why is it so hard to do both Evoc and Enchant? I run both with functional DCs on a bard i'd think a sorc that specializes in casting only would be able to pull off better DCs than me?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
For AoE fire + acid is superior to the others. Meteor Swarm becomes the best aoe spell in the game after the update. It's like 30k crits. Uncapped fireball is 10k, DBFB is 8k, energy burst 30k, dragon breath 30k, acid well 20k, uncapped acid blast 7k, sphere/cone 8k, uncapped lightning bolt up to 15k. On lower difficulties this is going to be dumb op. During lam, I could clear the 500k red named in around 40 seconds or less with an all AOE rotation on a sorc.

For single target ice and electric are godly. I can cycle through 30k thunderstrike, 30k iceberg, 20k polar ray. Managed to get 22 seconds on a sorc without using thunderstrike since it had bugged shared cooldown with iceberg.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #61 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
My dps calcs showed about the same thing. Were you using +5MCL staff?
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:37pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:36pm:
My dps calcs showed about the same thing. Were you using +5MCL staff?

spiral

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #63 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yep, Digi you've officially been drinking that Tilo koolaid. "My bad ideas are at least ideas" Go chone.

Making evo casters sustained dps types is fuckin retarded.

Oh, so you think your idea of "run an evo caster as a DC instead" is not retarded?  Well, good news for me.  Anyone who's retarded enough to think that's a good idea is a terrible judge of retardation levels so I give your opinion exactly zero fucks of care.

Back to the topic at hand, here are the three things most likely to come out of the caster update.

1) SSG will buff evo spell damage to the stupidly high levels they're previewing and give themselves congratulatory reacharounds for *fixing* the entire game and curing cancer as a bonus.  Then they will promptly ignore all the complaints and feedback about the overpowered and bugged shit they put in and go play some Santa Claus themed Pacman LARP while mocking their customers.

2) All the mouthbreathers on the mobos will think the aforementioned stupidly high evo spell damage is great until they roll into R8+ and realize they're still out of spell points after the first 5 minutes of a mission.  Sadly, said mouthbreathers will likely compensate for the spell point problem via buying stacks of potions from the store, which will further convince SSG they are rockstarz.

3) Since SSG didn't bother to actually fix the primary problem facing evo nukers (spell point burn rate) in high skull content but instead just piled on MOAR DMG, they will now be unable to address the spell point issue without utterly trivializing everything below 2 skull content for evo nukers.  They are essentially turning evo casters into the same thing as pre-nerf Auralocks who could annihilate entire rooms of mobs at runspeed with 1 or 2 buttons.

SSG has already gone through these motions with melee DPS builds. 

First, they buffed melee DPS to full retard levels via gear power creep, tweaks to the trees and classes, and so on.  When the unwashed masses continued to complain that their 900hp glass cannon DPS build still "can't do high skull missions", SSG ignored them like Beyonce ignores poverty.

Eventually, SSG got tired of the whining and *fixed* the problem by giving melee a stance that wrecks the teammate healing in exchange for a few hundred extra hit points which changed the chances of said shit glass cannon dps build of getting one-shotted by about the same chance Gramh has of not being stupid (0%) rather than actually addressing the problem of gimp trash mobs in R10 being 10x more dangerous than raid bosses on LE. 

Now, thanks to the idiotic DPS powercreep they've given melee while virtually ignoring defenses for non-tanks, SSG's backed themselves into a corner.  Any DPS melee build properly built for R7+ just roflstomps their way through anything R2 and below and now if SSG increase the defensive capabilities in any meaningful way, they turn high skull melee DPS builds into godmode.

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:05am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #64 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:59am:
Now, thanks to the idiotic DPS powercreep they've given melee while virtually ignoring defenses for non-tanks, SSG's backed themselves into a corner.  Any DPS melee build properly built for R7+ just roflstomps their way through anything R2 and below and now if SSG increase the defensive capabilities in any meaningful way, they turn high skull melee DPS builds into godmode.

This is the big problem facing the game right now imo. The game has essentially become rocket tag. DPS on player characters has pushed so high that to introduce actual challenge to the game those players need to be 1-shot by the mobs because if those DPS builds could take 4-5 hits from a champion they would be god mode because shit just dies too fast and by the time CC becomes loose it’s basically all dead.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:31am
Print Post  
I didn't say to run DC instead? Just suggested that if you want to run high skull content maybe utilize what works with what you want to do, because it's dumb as shit to run something in difficult content that is razor focused that already knows what the issues they'll have in the content? But no do pretend like the melee dps should give 0 fucks for prr and dire charge is just making them into a DC caster. Come on Digi/Tilo try a little harder. Your butthurt and stupid are showing.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #66 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 11:42am
Print Post  
I read all this... and remember playing P&P as a kid... you got 1 spell.. and starting out just a single cast of said spell..

I remember getting into an actual wrestling fight with a friend who was DMing, over him continuing to call Gelatinous Cube a "gel-ee-us" cube......

We were kids, we were stupid, we had no patients...

Now I read all this and can't help but wonder if I had taken up a hobby like... say.. sniffing glue or eating lead paint chips I wouldn't have ended up just like all of you...  Shocked
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 11:42am by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #67 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 11:42am:
I read all this... and remember playing P&P as a kid... you got 1 spell.. and starting out just a single cast of said spell..

I remember getting into an actual wrestling fight with a friend who was DMing, over him continuing to call Gelatinous Cube a "gel-ee-us" cube......

We were kids, we were stupid, we had no patients...

Now I read all this and can't help but wonder if I had taken up a hobby like... say.. sniffing glue or eating lead paint chips I wouldn't have ended up just like all of you...  Shocked

Dat's Jell-A-Tainious cube Wink

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #68 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I didn't say to run DC instead?

Oh really?  Dumbass said what?  Dumbass said this:
Quote:
Yeah but if you're in r10 trying to nuke trash when you're a caster that can easily spec for instakills and cc you're doing it wrong.

Let's see.  So you said "If you're nuking in R10 instead of DC,  you're doing it wrong." but you didn't say to run in DC instead? Do you even English bro?   Shocked

So if running as an Evo nuker in R10 is wrong but you didn't say Evo nukers should run as a DC caster instead (which you clearly did), the only explanation left is that you're saying people should "do it wrong"?  Yeah, that's great advice.  I'm starting to think you work for SSG given your impressive ignorance of the actual problems facing various build types.

Even more entertaining is that you made that dumbassed comment in the same thread where you tried to advocate for more build diversity...  It's hard to keep that much stupid straight, isn't it?

What's really telling here is that your points are so weak all you've got is ad hominem attacks while I point out how incorrect and contradictory your points are.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:16pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Spec for =/= only spec for. I guess I need to use less words so you understand? Spec nuking need also spec CC or Instakills for r10, or else doing stupid. Just like speccing only survivability instead of also threat make tank stupid, or dps speccing only dps and not survivability stupid, or only speccing heals and not cc or instakills stupid for healers. Does that make sense? At all? That you'd want to be good at something more than just one thing because if that one thing doesn't work you're screwed? You're trying to argue that they should make all mobs weak to fire or else fire spec sorcs don't do any dps, that's the level of stupid of your argument. I didn't say nuking was bad, just that if you're a one trick pony and want the game to mold around your flavor build of "da awesomest pyro caster evar!" then you're not cut out for difficult content.

Even more to the point, so you want them to contradict themselves and build classes to work for r10 after everybody has made a point of dogging them about even looking like they are building for reaper at fuck all? Come on man you're just looking to shit on someone. That's cool, this Pavlovian study that is the vault shows that if you get a bunch of malcontents together they will think their ideas are great because they are around other malcontents, just acknowledge that you just want something to shit on.

TL:DR you can spec Evoc and still have enough gearing/feats/ect. to spec for Enchant or Necro as well so that you aren't shoehorning yourself into a bad position. Also the majority of  you are so up eachother's asses you'd agree to anyone that is also up said asses with you.

Also because you can't just say what the fuck you mean in one go digi/tilo and edit every post like your retardation necessitates going back over your stupid to make more stupid. Yeah I advocate build diversity so we aren't all stuck into your stupid "well can it do monk single target dps? no? garbage" mentality. That's what keeps ruining the game is everybody needing to press their stupid meta shit onto every single change that comes out. Does every build need to be r10 viable to really promote build diversity? Fuck no, why should it?
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:23pm by »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #70 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Spec for =/= only spec for. I guess I need to use less words so you understand? Spec nuking need also spec CC or Instakills for r10, or else doing stupid. Just like speccing only survivability instead of also threat make tank stupid, or dps speccing only dps and not survivability stupid, or only speccing heals and not cc or instakills stupid for healers. Does that make sense? At all? That you'd want to be good at something more than just one thing because if that one thing doesn't work you're screwed? You're trying to argue that they should make all mobs weak to fire or else fire spec sorcs don't do any dps, that's the level of stupid of your argument. I didn't say nuking was bad, just that if you're a one trick pony and want the game to mold around your flavor build of "da awesomest pyro caster evar!" then you're not cut out for difficult content.

Even more to the point, so you want them to contradict themselves and build classes to work for r10 after everybody has made a point of dogging them about even looking like they are building for reaper at fuck all? Come on man you're just looking to shit on someone. That's cool, this Pavlovian study that is the vault shows that if you get a bunch of malcontents together they will think their ideas are great because they are around other malcontents, just acknowledge that you just want something to shit on.

TL:DR you can spec Evoc and still have enough gearing/feats/ect. to spec for Enchant or Necro as well so that you aren't shoehorning yourself into a bad position. Also the majority of  you are so up eachother's asses you'd agree to anyone that is also up said asses with you.

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand 8-skull+ is all about min/maxing.  Keep on being stupid.

Evo nukers have to spec for max spell power, max spell crit chance, max spell crit multi, the same for a secondary element in case of resistant mobs, and then throw in some Evo and maybe Conjuration DC with some spell pen.  Anything less waters their damage down enough to be a waste of time and a party slot in 8-skull+.

And even if we assume that the Evo caster pass increases the damage output enough to make it worth a shit in high skull content, how exactly are casters going to have spell points for CC and instakills if they're blowing their load nuking?  This brings it right back around to the spell point burn rate problem.  What you're proposing is to run a DC caster w/ a little bit of boss damage mixed in and you don't even know it.

More importantly, if someone wants to run a "blows shit up" build, how fun do you think running a CC/DC build is going to be for them?  Lastly, if you're going to roll an Evo build and just end up running it as a CC/DC build, roll a DC build and actually be good at it.  This is like having to explain to someone that rain is wet...
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:31pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:21pm:
Spoken like someone that doesn't understand 8-skull+ is all about min/maxing.  Keep on being stupid.

Evo nukers have to spec for max spell power, max spell crit chance, max spell crit multi, the same for a secondary element in case of resistant mobs, and then throw in some Evo and maybe Conjuration DC with some spell pen.  Anything less waters their damage down enough to be a waste of time and a party slot in 8-skull+.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how to build anything at fuck all, but you're strong in the ways of the Tilo.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #72 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how to build anything at fuck all, but you're strong in the ways of the Tilo.

You're getting desperate.  If that's all you've got left, it's pretty obvious you're done.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Show me your awesome building skills then digi? Instead of riding the coattails of the vault? I'm more than happy to show my bard build any day.

IP Logged

mr420247
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I pug r8s daily the only spell power i keep maxed is

Positive, with crit, with mutliplier for max group healing my dps

and self healing it is all that matters usually

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6