Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic beware the quarterstaff (Read 4484 times)
Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

beware the quarterstaff
Nov 15th, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Looks like ol' Steely is Mr. Sensitive and had Jerry ban me permanently from the forums because I suggested he take his own advise on builds...

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: beware the quarterstaff
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Undocumented drama is boring drama.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Tusktusk
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:25pm:
Undocumented drama is boring drama.

Agreed.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
My post is gone so it was in response to this:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/501031-First-Look-U41-Eldritch-Knight/...
Steel's post:
________
More important is the feedback from people who have played it on Lamannia so far, which has been generally positive. To (once again) be mildly blunt, theorycrafting without playing provides far less useful feedback, as it's often based on assumptions and guesswork that aren't accurate.

Which makes sense; we've been playing with this tree for a month or two internally, and people are now seeing it for the first time and starting to grasp what's possible with it. We know what build types work and don't within this version of the tree already. I've built 13 different builds using this tree and have run them all through actual content. There'll (of course) be builds using it that we didn't expect in the end, which is great, but those don't tend to emerge until 2-3 weeks after a new tree hits Live and people start really working with it.

When we hear several people say "I haven't played it, but this ability/tree seems really weak" vs. a few say "I've played this on Lamannia and it feels fine", we're more likely to lean on the latter, because it's based on actual play.

Also, as we've said before - How often a build gets played has no bearing on how powerful (let alone how valid/good) a build is. There are plenty of decently powerful builds that aren't played that often. Like Beacon of Hope and Renegade Mastermaker, this tree has a non-typical playstyle. It won't be for everyone, but we're hoping that it'll be fun and able to hold up in content for those who want to play a hybrid melee/caster.
Basically I reminded him that quarterstaff builds aren't a thing and told him to take his own advice when he forces us to accept his ideas about builds.  Honestly, anyone with skin of any thickness could have easily shrugged my post off.. He also edited a bit, removed "to be blunt" to mildly
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:45pm by Tspoon »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Are you really surprised after I got banned for calling Steelstar out? Honestly the man has no skin at all and I'm more surprised they are willing to lose knowledgeable players that post feedback just to maintain Steel's fragile ego.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 6:12pm:
Are you really surprised after I got banned for calling Steelstar out? Honestly the man has no skin at all and I'm more surprised they are willing to lose knowledgeable players that post feedback just to maintain Steel's fragile ego.

Only that it is a permanent ban.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 7:43am
Print Post  
And how do they know who is knowledgeable and who isn't? Cause you call 'em out? Cause you post on the Vault? Cause you are some of the cool kids?
Do a video. Do some math. Go on, pick up the gauntlet. Be the anti-Tilo.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 7:43am:
Do a video. Do some math. Go on, pick up the gauntlet. Be the anti-Tilo.

You don't need to post a video to showcase that a 2 minute buff is annoying garbage to try to keep up.

You don't need to post a video to point out that "Conjure pots" is a dumb as shit enhancement when the CD on the SLA pots (which don't require a reagent) is short enough that you will never need to use the reagent-requiring pots.

You don't need to post a video to state that keeping up a buff that allows you to heal someone every, what is it, 90 seconds with a 90 second recast? Is also super annoying.

Having to crunch numbers and post evidence videos should be a LAST RESORT to point out bugs or glitches or things that are not working as intended.

It's their job to test these things and do the math.  Where's the video of them taking the new EK build for a spin on R6 Strahd?  Why is the onus on me to show that it's bad when the onus should be on them to show that it's good?

I'm the one spending money, not them.  I'm not getting paid to test this shit.

Quit apologizing for them Jesus Tap Dancing Christ.

That being said I like the new spells.  My heroic sorc is going to be bonkers.  Blaster caster will suck balls at level cap still but look out r1 Gianthold!

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:23am:
You don't need to post a video to showcase that a 2 minute buff is annoying garbage to try to keep up.

You don't need to post a video to point out that "Conjure pots" is a dumb as shit enhancement when the CD on the SLA pots (which don't require a reagent) is short enough that you will never need to use the reagent-requiring pots.

You don't need to post a video to state that keeping up a buff that allows you to heal someone every, what is it, 90 seconds with a 90 second recast? Is also super annoying.

Having to crunch numbers and post evidence videos should be a LAST RESORT to point out bugs or glitches or things that are not working as intended.

It's their job to test these things and do the math.  Where's the video of them taking the new EK build for a spin on R6 Strahd?  Why is the onus on me to show that it's bad when the onus should be on them to show that it's good?

I'm the one spending money, not them.  I'm not getting paid to test this shit.

Quit apologizing for them Jesus Tap Dancing Christ.

That being said I like the new spells.  My heroic sorc is going to be bonkers.  Blaster caster will suck balls at level cap still but look out r1 Gianthold!

Exactly, it's straight up bullshit for Steel to post a comment on the power of the quarterstaff than no one knows about.   WTF?  It's bad enough that the only real documentation for this game is the wiki, but how stupid is it to have designed content that goes unused simply because none of your players has figured it out.  OK, maybe give people some time after new stuff is release to explore and discover, but there isn't anything "new" with quarterstaffs.  The real reason is that the minute Steel posted the specifics of what he was suggesting, it would get shot down in flames.  But this is the same old shit, mostly I don't bother with it, but the back to back to back monk nerfs just stuck in my craw.  fuck it, same game, different day.  Been thinking for a while it's time for another break, took me 3 years to want to come back last time...

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Okay, I clicked on this since I haven't heard about this Eldritch Knight update, so I was somewhat excited, since I think the tree is a cool concept. Then I actually read the proposed changes...

It's still gonna be a shitty tree overall. It got a few buffs, like fewer AP costs for certain things, but for the most part, it's unchanged and it still has the problems that old EK tree had. There aren't enough ways to get melee DPS from that tree, which should be the point of a tree like that. Instead, their focus is on forcing players to specialize in both magic AND melee, which isn't going to work. You need to spread your enhancements, feats, and equipment WAY too thin if you want to become competent at both. The way DDO works right now, it's more viable to specialize in one or the other. But it's ultimately going to gimp you out if you try to become jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none.

I'm pretty sure even a triple-triple-triple completionist who's running EK is going to be missing spell DCs a good amount of the time and is going to be dealing subpar melee DPS. No point in running the tree, especially when warpriest exists. Why run EK when you can get much more melee benefit from a cleric/fvs tree and heal in addition? I've tried out EK builds in heroics and even there, they felt underwhelming; I can only imagine how much worse they are at endgame and cap.

Doesn't surprise me if you got banned for simply asking a question.

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Jerry's been slowly purging people who question or criticize them for whatever reason they can muster. Usually, it's bullshit. Just one look at the forums now and you can see the result.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Jesus Tap Dancing Christ

Also needs video.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:29pm
Print Post  

SSG is living in a pretty little world of gameplay that has almost nothing to do with how most of the players are playing the game.
If you don't do it with more than "that's crap or annoying" they won't wake up.
And on top of that they use very selective sources for feedback. Everything else gets ignored.
Congratulations you are just riding bitch.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 5:45am
Print Post  
NoGoodDoc wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 2:45pm:
Jerry's been slowly purging people who question or criticize them for whatever reason they can muster. Usually, it's bullshit. Just one look at the forums now and you can see the result.

I'm waiting for someone like Aelonwy to get the hammer next. She might not get a perma-ban for how prolific she is, but given her posts as of late I'd say she's one bad change reaction from joining the rest of us no good deviants.

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Nov 17th, 2018 at 5:45am:
I'm waiting for someone like Aelonwy to get the hammer next. She might not get a perma-ban for how prolific she is, but given her posts as of late I'd say she's one bad change reaction from joining the rest of us no good deviants.

I was just thinking the same for Slarden. He used to be a Thudh-level supporter and they seriously broke him. The new raid rewards with cosmetics may be the straw that breaks Aelonwy's back.

It's kind of funny but also really sad to see SSG slowly chip away at some of their most ardent supporters. 
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2018 at 6:46am by NoGoodDoc »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:29pm:
SSG is living in a pretty little world of gameplay that has almost nothing to do with how most of the players are playing the game.
And on top of that they use very selective sources for feedback. Everything else gets ignored.
Congratulations you are just riding bitch.

The devs have no idea what is best in slot and so have designed shit rewards for the past 2 updates. The only thing they understand is stats increasing.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:29pm:

You're being kind.

If it's not in line with the Party Line, you either get piled on by all the cocksucking trolls and eventually get banned or or one dev will ask Jerry to ban you.

And some still wonder why I stopped going to the main forum... I have that big red sticker at my desk at work : Non Conforme. ( not conforming )
( and since it's on the mobile shelves that gets moved around when I move it follows me every where I go....
which is a nice warning to everybody that are looking for e submissive cocksucker : they won't find it here, )
I was bound to be banned at some point, so I just banned myself to avoid being banned.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
NoGoodDoc wrote on Nov 17th, 2018 at 6:45am:
I was just thinking the same for Slarden. He used to be a Thudh-level supporter and they seriously broke him. The new raid rewards with cosmetics may be the straw that breaks Aelonwy's back.

It's kind of funny but also really sad to see SSG slowly chip away at some of their most ardent supporters. 

It's fun watching them turn to the dark side isn't it?  It's going to be fun watching Renvar turn eventually.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
It's fun watching them turn to the dark side isn't it?  It's going to be fun watching Renvar turn eventually.

One veteran poster I've seen has done the exact opposite.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 2:51pm:

Why would think he would turn?  He generally is pretty even handed and I think there is still a lot to like about SSG handling of DDO (with the exception of them humping the shit out of cosmetics to pad the RL expansion)
  My beef is with Steelstar because he likes to talk down to the players and that post was a perfect example.  I made the mistake of watching him and Jerry go on about the caster change during the Wednesday podcast.  It was really obvious he values his own opinion very highly..  When I read that post, I just couldn't resist.   I canceled my VIP renewal but it runs till April, I don't plan to spend any more actual cash on this game.. or so I say right now.  Who knows.

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 3:11pm:
One veteran poster I've seen has done the exact opposite.

Tspoon wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
Why would think he would turn?  He generally is pretty even handed...

As I've said before, Ash is fair and balanced in exactly the same way FoxNews (as in Hannity and not Shep Smith) is. I will concede that he was much more middle ground before he changed his <DDO> forum name. 

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #21 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Renvar is about as even handed as I am wholesome and cheerful.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Aww don't sell yourself short zehn you're probably one of those two things maybe?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:54pm:
Exactly, it's straight up bullshit for Steel to post a comment on the power of the quarterstaff than no one knows about.

I am more than certain that any build that steel had posted wouldn't even be in the top 10 dps times I can get on the lama red named dummy.

There are like at least 5 wolf variants that beat it.
At least 2 rogue splits, and either could be swf or twf.
At least 2 fighter splits, either swf or twf.
A tempest.
A Monk.

The best qstaff split for dps I could come up with was 12 6 2. It's in the dps test thread. Peaked at 33 seconds, lows at 37 seconds. I can bet anything that steel could not reach what i was getting on his qstaff build, or even the split i tested.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 4:36pm:
Renvar is about as even handed as I am wholesome and cheerful.

Quote:
Aww don't sell yourself short zehn you're probably one of those two things maybe?

Handed.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint