Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Are melee clerics or fvs viable in heroics? (Read 4869 times)
ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Are melee clerics or fvs viable in heroics?
Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Been wondering if its possible to make a viable melee cleric or fvs. Almost every cleric/fvs that I have seen in heroics is setup to nuke or use instant kills. The few melee ones that I have seen generally died a lot and didn't do much.

Main issues I see are :

-Warpriest tree forcing you to use non-optimal 1h weapons to get full bonuses, with the favored deity requirement (unless you do iconics)

- Warpriest tree not giving enough damage/survivability on its own

- If you go 2WF to do more damage, that means you have a hefty dex and feat requirement and other associated problems

- Since Warpriest is the only melee oriented tree, you would need to multiclass to get access to a martial class's trees, and going full fighter or ranger would be way more effective

- Buffs in DDO don't scale and were never balanced for the stat inflation DDO has...Divine Power, the spell that makes clerics in pnp better than fighters, doesn't give extra attacks in DDO so is mostly useless. You can have a +6 str item easily by that point and the temp hp is meh.

Just seems like you end up with a gimped fighter in most cases, especially as a high UMD would let you use scrolls for the stuff on the cleric spell list anyway.

Have any of you been able to get a melee cleric/fvs to work well in heroics?

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Re: Are melee clerics or fvs viable in heroics?
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
go THF
get twink gear

Carnifex
cannith crafted stuff

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
So have you actually tried running a melee cleric or fvs?

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 11:55am
Print Post  
I'm on my cleric life right now and I have to say it's ridiculously good. The damage numbers I'm seeing are on par with what I'd expect from Kensei, plus I get free heals, ameliorating strike, buffs, etc. Wrathful Weapons or whatever it's called is amazing and scales with melee power, so you're effectively getting... a LOT of extra DPS. And Holy Sword helps a lot once you get it.

Disclaimer: I'm elf and using Scimitars, so this helps loads. I just like scimitars and have a bunch already crafted, so it's easiest to use em instead of crafting new shit for every life

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Do one of the Sylvanis Maul builds I am doing a couple of PDK 14 Cleric / 6 Fighter runs on an alt now and it's a killer and a hell of a lot of fun. Minimal gear investment really and it just crushes through content.

If I was doing heroic only I would say grab a dagger and do a SWF Vistani focused build maybe another 14/6 split with rogue to get easy Dex to hit/dmg with daggers and make sure and take divine might to boost things even further. You could run it as a Dex build or if you have access to Falconry go for a wisdom build. 7 Points in balance gets you qualified for the whole SWF line so that's easy on the feats. The low level Spectral and cove daggers were pretty nice weapons and at 14 Slice and Dice are at least decent and not too hard to have.

A THF with the Tail of the Scorpion isn't a bad option either. Falchions are pretty decent and the Tail would work from 14-20 as your end game weapon with a good augment in it anywhere just about.

You have plenty of options. Truth be told heroic runs aren't too hard to gobstop really. Most any cleric build should be able to solo R1/2 fairly easily and if you have folks around probably go in midskulls if they are built decently.

All good ways to get those damn racial lives out of the way...

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
You have to go iconic for Silvanus, but it does get you a heroic life:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1519772579

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

dilletaint
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The damage numbers I'm seeing are on par with what I'd expect from Kensei

A warpriest cleric using scimitars doesn't match Kensei damage.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm on my cleric life right now and I have to say it's ridiculously good. The damage numbers I'm seeing are on par with what I'd expect from Kensei, plus I get free heals, ameliorating strike, buffs, etc. Wrathful Weapons or whatever it's called is amazing and scales with melee power, so you're effectively getting... a LOT of extra DPS. And Holy Sword helps a lot once you get it.

Disclaimer: I'm elf and using Scimitars, so this helps loads. I just like scimitars and have a bunch already crafted, so it's easiest to use em instead of crafting new shit for every life

Could you please clarify what that build is exactly and how it works? Are you 2WF with scimitars? If you are doing a pure cleric, where are you getting the melee power? I didn't see a lot of melee power in the warpriest tree (but I might be remembering it wrongly).

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Synchrono wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 1:12pm:
Do one of the Sylvanis Maul builds I am doing a couple of PDK 14 Cleric / 6 Fighter runs on an alt now and it's a killer and a hell of a lot of fun. Minimal gear investment really and it just crushes through content.

If I was doing heroic only I would say grab a dagger and do a SWF Vistani focused build maybe another 14/6 split with rogue to get easy Dex to hit/dmg with daggers and make sure and take divine might to boost things even further. You could run it as a Dex build or if you have access to Falconry go for a wisdom build. 7 Points in balance gets you qualified for the whole SWF line so that's easy on the feats. The low level Spectral and cove daggers were pretty nice weapons and at 14 Slice and Dice are at least decent and not too hard to have.

A THF with the Tail of the Scorpion isn't a bad option either. Falchions are pretty decent and the Tail would work from 14-20 as your end game weapon with a good augment in it anywhere just about.

You have plenty of options. Truth be told heroic runs aren't too hard to gobstop really. Most any cleric build should be able to solo R1/2 fairly easily and if you have folks around probably go in midskulls if they are built decently.

All good ways to get those damn racial lives out of the way...

Yea, ive heard about the Sylvanus Maul Cleric thing...unfortunately that requires going into epics, and I have no epic destinies (yet). I don't have access to Vistani/Falconry either.

IIRC, Tail of the scorpion is the falchion from the last Disciples of Rage quest right? Isn't that pretty bad? I mean, poison is one of the worst damage types out there (due to all the undead) and the keen on it is kind of redundant as every melee build basically has improved critical at that point...I can't think of any quest where the metalline is a good combination with poison either. Adamantine DR is usually on constructs, which is immune to poison anyway...it can bypass the DR of Jariliths, but those usually come with Hezrous which needs Good damage so you are better off with a holy weapon anyway...

And most importantly, I dont think you can get warpriest favored weapon enhancements to work with Falchions unless you invest in the Elf tree...which doesnt seem to have a lot of benefit for melee (compared to the generic half orc damage bonuses at least).

And while you can get most builds to hit 20 solo...theres a huge difference in effectiveness really. With melee builds, the main issue I find in heroics is being able to kill stuf fast enough. Huge difference in solo clear times with a paladin vs a fighter for example. I would rather not get stuck doing something like the paladin again, which was just painfully slow without people to carry me.

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
You are letting the poison on the Tail of the Scorpion distract you. Who cares about the poison. It's Keen, Metalline, Vorpal and a Red slot you can throw a Good Aug in with a decent base damage and a 15-20 x2 crit range before anything else. Using a single augment you get Good/metal bypass which works most places in the game. If you don't see the value in that then there's not much you're willing to listen too from me.

There are many times I run 8x 6 Fighter 6 Rogue or Ranger builds for heroics that will use zero abilities from the primary class tree's.  I have built myself some archetype patterns for "stick" builds and shuri/repeater builds as the mood strikes me that depend on the two 6 class splits entirely. The basic fact is Warpriest is subpar compared to the Kensai tree from fighter for sheer damage as it should be.

The truth is a 14 Cleric 6 Fighter is a hell of a beefy melee build. You can do it all sorts of ways and make it an easy life. There are a few domains worth exploiting ranging from Animal, Destruction or War Domains to augment the melee abilities. A melee cleric build generally is going to be T5 Kensai, some Stalwart defender and probably just enough in War Priest for Divine Might and not a lot else.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
You should buy EDs as soon as you can.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Synchrono wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:55pm:
You are letting the poison on the Tail of the Scorpion distract you. Who cares about the poison. It's Keen, Metalline, Vorpal and a Red slot you can throw a Good Aug in with a decent base damage and a 15-20 x2 crit range before anything else. Using a single augment you get Good/metal bypass which works most places in the game. If you don't see the value in that then there's not much you're willing to listen too from me.

There are many times I run 8x 6 Fighter 6 Rogue or Ranger builds for heroics that will use zero abilities from the primary class tree's.  I have built myself some archetype patterns for "stick" builds and shuri/repeater builds as the mood strikes me that depend on the two 6 class splits entirely. The basic fact is Warpriest is subpar compared to the Kensai tree from fighter for sheer damage as it should be.

The truth is a 14 Cleric 6 Fighter is a hell of a beefy melee build. You can do it all sorts of ways and make it an easy life. There are a few domains worth exploiting ranging from Animal, Destruction or War Domains to augment the melee abilities. A melee cleric build generally is going to be T5 Kensai, some Stalwart defender and probably just enough in War Priest for Divine Might and not a lot else. 

The problem is the ML of the falchion. At level 14, pretty much every melee build has improved critical. If it was a low level weapon with keen, that would be a different story entirely.

Metalline is useful...but pretty situational in heroics. At that level range...that would be the quests with devils/demons I guess and the constructs in good intentions. You could put a good augment in the slot, but that prevents you from using a ruby of ghost bane.

So I guess it really boils down to whether the vorpal is worth it in low reaper heroics. I'm honestly not sure...I understand vorpal is pretty good in high reaper with the massive damage penalty...but if you arent doing high reaper, straight damage seems more consistent till you start hitting very high mob hp at about level 17 or 18.

Either way the ml 10 barovian weapons seem to cover most of the bases till 20 which is why most people dont seem interested in the falchion, especially as most people skip the last quest in the chain anyway.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 2:42pm:
You should buy EDs as soon as you can.

People told me I would be able to pick up the expansions for really cheap during black friday, but they had RL instead unfortunately.

With the black friday sale, I got the Ravenloft so I now have access to the Vistani tree. Im now wondering how viable a fvs vistani melee build is...the vistani tree gives plenty of flat damage, but i'm kind of confused how some of the enhancements work. For example, rapid attack and blessed blades last for 10s with a cooldown of 10s according to the character planner I am looking at. Are you just supposed to spam them every 10s? That seems strange.

No AOE options in either the vistani or war soul trees also seems like it would be annoying. No cheap defensive stance like stalwart defense either. You do get AC and PRR/MRR through war soul/vistani but i'm not sure if thats enough.

And only 20 melee power at the Vistani capstone.

And im not sure how 2WF compares with SWF. Most of the vistani builds I found were 2WF, but there were a few that did 3 levels of bards for swashbuckler and went SWF. How do they compare? 2WF seems like it would be much harder to gear for till you get to level 10...especially as you would need a set of holy weapons for Deleras and a set of hammers for skeletons.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:33am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:29pm:
For example, rapid attack and blessed blades last for 10s with a cooldown of 10s according to the character planner I am looking at. Are you just supposed to spam them every 10s? That seems strange.

Yes, you spam them. The thing that is not obvious about those abilities is that you don't get the buff unless the attack hits something. So you're only spamming them in combat.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
It's easier if you stop thinking of a Melee Cleric as a cleric.

It isn't.

It's a Paladin with better spells and no alignment restrictions, or a no-Rage Barb with access to heals.

Vistani Knife Fighter is a trap, IMHO. It was a gift to assassins and a lure to try to get people to use different weapon types (daggers in this case). It didn't work because assassin was still gimp and daggers are fucking terrible DPS weapons. Although to be fair, Assassin has enjoyed a renaissance of late in Reaper mode.

You best bet is to build like a Paladin (STR, CON, and WIS instead of CHA). If you had the Falconry tree, you can dump STR just low enough to qualify for Power Attack and Cleave feats and go full ham on WIS to Attack/Damage with Killer Instinct I & II. Side benfit, you have more SP and better will saves. Choose War domain since it gives the best (re: easiest to use) overall benefits for Melee:

War Domain

• Level 2: You gain +1 to hit and damage with melee and ranged weapons. This increases at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th.

• Upon Turning: When you use Turn Undead your party gains a Divine bonus to Melee Power and Ranged Power equal to half your Cleric level for 20 seconds.

• Level 5: You gain proficiency in all martial and exotic weapons.

• Level 9: Your tactical DCs are increased by half your Cleric level.

• Level 14: You gain Holy Sword as an SLA. 10 SP, 6 second cooldown.

Access to Holy Sword (+1 Crit Multi, +1 Crit Threat) THF + Cleave + Great Cleaves are your friend. Falchion in probably your best weapon choice. You won't have the feats for much else aside from maybe Quicken or Empower Healing unless you go Human or PDK.

The simplest solution is still using the Warpriest tree and taking Divine Power at Tier 5. The STR is not the lure (+6 is easily obtainable and even under powered by Lvl 12, although it may save a gear slot) the real lure is the full BAB. That opens up additional attack animations and to-hit bonuses which improve overall DPS.

You can skip it and run the spell Divine Power, but it has a short duration, can be dispelled, and you won't have the spare feats for extend. That was an option prior to Reaper when having the Radiant Aura for constant healing while in Melee was a thing. Now that's pointless.

Otherwise you'll be deep splashing into Fighter like was mentioned above and that may not be what you want.

Reaper basically made self-heals moot but you'll be much better equipped than a Paladin or Fighter, and a lot more useful in Reaper PuGs. Don't waste time gearing for better Heals, it won't help (unless you're running Elites for fast completions).

In any event, don't overthink it. A Warpriest is pure tank and spank playstyle, but you're pounding a square peg into a round hole using a Cleric. Kind of like making a good gunstock warclub  Grin

YMMV.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 11:37am:
It didn't work because assassin was still gimp and daggers are fucking terrible DPS weapons

Anyone reading your post should stop right there because that statement proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 3:11pm:
Anyone reading your post should stop right there because that statement proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

Regardless of your opinion of his one statement about assassin/dagger, his general advice for warpriest play is pretty much spot-on.

It is kinda amusing that he said it blows but has enjoyed a renaissance, but maybe he thinks everyone playing assassins is just an idiot.

It's a Paladin with better spells and no alignment restrictions, or a no-Rage Barb with access to heals.

And a nice set of buffs and cures for various effects.  Warpriest is still way below the meta, but if you want to do it you won't go wrong following beast's guidance.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2018 at 10:11pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
It's easier if you stop thinking of a Melee Cleric as a cleric.

It isn't.

Vistani Knife Fighter is a trap, IMHO. It was a gift to assassins and a lure to try to get people to use different weapon types (daggers in this case). It didn't work because assassin was still gimp and daggers are fucking terrible DPS weapons. Although to be fair, Assassin has enjoyed a renaissance of late in Reaper mode.

You best bet is to build like a Paladin (STR, CON, and WIS instead of CHA). If you had the Falconry tree, you can dump STR just low enough to qualify for Power Attack and Cleave feats and go full ham on WIS to Attack/Damage with Killer Instinct I & II. Side benfit, you have more SP and better will saves. Choose War domain since it gives the best (re: easiest to use) overall benefits for Melee:

War Domain

• Level 2: You gain +1 to hit and damage with melee and ranged weapons. This increases at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th.

• Upon Turning: When you use Turn Undead your party gains a Divine bonus to Melee Power and Ranged Power equal to half your Cleric level for 20 seconds.

• Level 5: You gain proficiency in all martial and exotic weapons.

• Level 9: Your tactical DCs are increased by half your Cleric level.

• Level 14: You gain Holy Sword as an SLA. 10 SP, 6 second cooldown.

Access to Holy Sword (+1 Crit Multi, +1 Crit Threat) THF + Cleave + Great Cleaves are your friend. Falchion in probably your best weapon choice. You won't have the feats for much else aside from maybe Quicken or Empower Healing unless you go Human or PDK.

The simplest solution is still using the Warpriest tree and taking Divine Power at Tier 5. The STR is not the lure (+6 is easily obtainable and even under powered by Lvl 12, although it may save a gear slot) the real lure is the full BAB. That opens up additional attack animations and to-hit bonuses which improve overall DPS.

You can skip it and run the spell Divine Power, but it has a short duration, can be dispelled, and you won't have the spare feats for extend. That was an option prior to Reaper when having the Radiant Aura for constant healing while in Melee was a thing. Now that's pointless.

Otherwise you'll be deep splashing into Fighter like was mentioned above and that may not be what you want.

Reaper basically made self-heals moot but you'll be much better equipped than a Paladin or Fighter, and a lot more useful in Reaper PuGs. Don't waste time gearing for better Heals, it won't help (unless you're running Elites for fast completions).

In any event, don't overthink it. A Warpriest is pure tank and spank playstyle, but you're pounding a square peg into a round hole using a Cleric. Kind of like making a good gunstock warclub  Grin

YMMV.

The issue is i did 3 paladin past lives and the lack of damage was awful. Im trying to avoid the same experience.

Taking 6 or 8 levels of fighter is better than trying to make the war priest tree work IMHO. Especially as Eberron deitys have pretty bad favored weapons.

Does anyone have any experience with doing some kind of vistani swashbuckler with cleric or fvs?

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 3:15am
Print Post  
For a vistani divine, I wouldn't worry about swashbuckling. It doesn't bring much, you're already getting better crits from Vistani.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint