Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) You stupid F-ing Idiots (Read 7387 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

You stupid F-ing Idiots
Nov 21st, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Seriously, you stupid fucking twats at SSG need to listen.  This is free advice from someone who literally gets paid more than any of you make to give this type of advice -

Whoever was in charge of your Black Friday sales needs to be fired - YESTERDAY!

You just lost so fucking much money it almost makes me puke in my mouth a little.

Fucking everything should have been on sale.

EVERYTHING.

Even if it's a crappy 10% discount or the shitty 25% discount you offer every week.

People stop buying weeks, if not months, before a black friday sale.  They save up their points and they're desperate to spend them even if the sales suck.

Incidentally, your sales absolutely sucked.

50% is what you should have been looking at with the double points on sale, all the new people would have bought points to grab the packs at a discount.  25% off of everything should have been the minimum, you would have caught way more purchases from people who'd normally be tempted to just grind out points and slowly pick up the packs over time with a slight sale than NO FUCKING SALE AT ALL.

Whatever you make this weekend you could have easily have made twice that much.  Instead of creating a sense of urgency for people to spend money to get the discount, you've got new players that are going to continue to slowly pick up the packs for free.

Since obviously none of you have taken a basic business course, let me do the math for you:

Some sales = much more than grinding for free.

I swear, every time I think you guys have your heads out of your asses, I turn around and can't even see your fucking shoulders.

Rant over.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 8:40am by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Re: You stupid F-ing Idiots
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
You'd be right if they were drawing in tons of new players. Game's old, most people who are gonna play at this point have most of the content they want. Double points sale equals roughly an everything sale because you have more points to spend per dollar sunk in, better business proposal than just marking everything off to me. Making everything cheaper just means the points that the freebie players have stocked up they are just going to use less of those points and not purchase fake currency that is cheaper per dollar.

Meanwhile i'm happy with my 4 ottos boxes and my 1 to give away for the guildies, seems the sale worked for small whales like me >.>

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You'd be right if they were drawing in tons of new players.

Way more new players than you think.  Seriously.  If you're on Cannith, you'll have a better idea than most of the other servers.  We've seen a slew of new players since RL last year.  The game population is completely different than it was when I came back a year and a half ago.

And if if that wasn't the case (which it is), the best thing they can do is discount everything enough where the old and existing players want to pick up things they normally wouldn't grab because they're discounted.

You hit people with 75% off crap and I promise you they will buy things they never would normally buy or want and will spend money to buy even more crap just because it's on sale.

And the DDO store is full of useless crap - useless crap that should have been on sale because the only way to move useless crap is to heavily discount it.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I dunno, from my standpoint it's hard to market pseudo currency when you're giving it away and it all holds the same value. I feel like they are trapped into making their currency cheaper to promote sales to make money because how semi-laughably easy it is to make the currency. Microtransactions is hard.

Getting into Guild Wars 2 right now and they have a wonkier model of f2p, in game currency can be traded for pseudo currency to purchase content and consumables, i don't even know how they make money tbh they'd have to explain it out to me, especially since half their content they give away for free as long as you keep playing.

I dunno what would be best, I just see what they are doing is all, and it's not marketing wise stupid to sell more fake money because it costs nothing to produce and gets people spending in their microtransaction store. Especially since they usually and this is speculation bank on getting those ottos box sales to boost their bottom line because of their ploy of supply being in small windows and their demand being players that are beleaguered by the past life grind and how they won my sales is knowing i don't want to touch heroics for tiefling or to get back to 30 if i can help it.

and blah blah blah something about not wanting to nullify their Vip headcount by savagely reducing all their content packs. all the rest of the junk they have in the store to me is junk that you don't need until you're like "oh shit i need that junk" like cakes and bells and sp pots.

TL:DR i'm probably rambling too much and most of what i said is going to be called retarded, but I don't think their black friday sale is terrible, it has the essentials for me and that's all i care about.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Well, in my marketing expertise, calling someone a stupid fucking twat always makes them more receptive to whatever I say next. So, good on ya. You're doing it right.  Smiley

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 8:25pm:
Well, in my marketing expertise, calling someone a stupid fucking twat always makes them more receptive to whatever I say next. So, good on ya. You're doing it right.  Smiley

There really isn't a better way to get someone's attention so abruptly. Walk up to someone and call them a stupid fucking idiot and see how quickly their focus on you intensifies.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
They hold back on races. They could have made a ton of money with those.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 5:08pm:
Seriously, you stupid fucking twats at SSG need to listen.  This is free advice from someone who literally gets paid more than any of you make to give this type of advice -

Whoever was in charge of your Black Friday sales needs to be fired - YESTERDAY!

You just lost so fucking much money it almost makes me puke in my mouth a little.

Fucking everything should have been on sale.

EVERYTHING.

Even if it's a crappy 10% discount or the shitty 25% discount you offer every week.

People stop buying weeks, if not months, before a black friday sale.  They save up their points and they're desperate to spend them even if the sales suck.

Incidentally, your sales absolutely sucked btw.

50% is what you should have been looking at with the double points on sale, all the new people would have bought points to grab the packs at a discount.  25% off of everything should have been the minimum, you would have caught way more purchases from people who'd normally be tempted to just grind out points and slowly pick up the packs over time with a slight sale than NO FUCKING SALE AT ALL.

Whatever you make this weekend you could have easily have made twice that much.  Instead of creating of urgency for people to spend money to get the discount, you've got new players that are going to continue to slowly pick up the packs for free.

Since obviously none of you have taken a basic business course, let me do the math for you:

Some sales = much more than grinding for free.

I swear, every time I think you guys have your heads out of your asses, I turn around and can't even see your fucking shoulders.

Rant over.

Bladeforged still not on sale, huh?

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:13pm:
There really isn't a better way to get someone's attention so abruptly. Walk up to someone and call them a stupid fucking idiot and see how quickly their focus on you intensifies.

Back in the day if someone said (totally random example here) "we have a chance to make 30% of our yearly profits over the next 5 weeks, let's just put 3 things on sale for Black Friday" I could have gotten away with asking "did your parents have nothing but retards or just you?"

It was especially amusing watching them instinctively try to find an answer.

I kind of miss those days.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Nov 22nd, 2018 at 2:30am:
Back in the day if someone said (totally random example here) "we have a chance to make 30% of our yearly profits over the next 5 weeks, let's just put 3 things on sale for Black Friday" I could have gotten away with asking "did your parents have nothing but retards or just you?"

It was especially amusing watching them instinctively try to find an answer.

I kind of miss those days.

Your retorts need to evolve man.
Quit living in the past.

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 10:05pm:
They hold back on races. They could have made a ton of money with those.

I just bought Deep Gnomes for 75% off with ground out points.

I'm a first time Gnome Owner.

*badumpish*

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
DDO hasn't known how to market itself since....2006?

This is nothing new.  You'll get the white knights flocking to it though.  I forget the name of the particular fallacy but they assume that the marketing person at SSG "has the numbers!" so obviously they always make the 100% best decisions, right?

But then they'll go to work and complain about how much of an idiot their co-workers all are.

----

Anyways.

I honestly believe that they're under some sort of contract with WoTC where they're only allowed to do so much.  Keep in mind that NWN is WoTC's baby.  Obviously this is all tinfoil hat kinda stuff but my guess is that something along the lines of the following happens:

Turbine is about to fold.

Sev knows people at WoTC from doing DND shit for 20 years and DDO for the last several.

He cuts a deal where they stay under the radar and WoTC lets them keep running the game basically as a glorified emulator.

They get to keep their jobs, fill a niche that NWN doesn't, but they're not allowed to do anything that might seriously grow or expand the game.

It explains quite a bit.

- They don't have merchandising rights to the game.  Even if you wanted to buy an official DDO shirt, you can't.  Jerry keeps handing out merch they found in someones abandoned office at the cons they occasionally go to.

- They're not allowed to advertise outside pre-existing channels.  There was no trailer for Ravenloft.  Even LOTRO got a shitty one.  Cohh nation will do streaming events for fucking Pantheon of all things, but SSG couldn't even convince the people at Roll20 to do a short blurb about DDO?  I asked them to do a Reddit AMA on r/dnd.  I asked Cordovan if I could buy a bunch of 500 point codes to run some contests and hype events on the sub.  Fucking crickets.

- They haven't done -anything- to grow the game since SSG formed.  No revamp of grouping mechanics to help players find each other.  No revamp of the newbie experience.  Every other MMO consolidates content every few years.

I mean...

Imagine the following:

DDO implements a decent group finder.  They consolidate all the different item bonus types into like...4 so it's not such a clusterfuck for new players.  They fix the character creator so that you can use player created templates for your characters.  They make a few nice UI updates (unifying all the various character panels into one interface for example for a fucking start.) 

They have a modest Korthos revamp that includes an NPC that walks you through how to do a TR since that's like 90% of the game.

Then they sell a new "DDO Battlechest" for 10 dollars that has all non-expansion content and classes, and the "DDO Ultimate Battlechest" for 20 dollars that also has all the expansion content as well.

Then they advertise the fuck out of it as Eberron Reborn.  Post on every gaming forum they can find.  Get a bunch of mid/low tier Twitch variety streamers (Witwix, Theoddone, Cirno, etc...) and do a charity stream with them for a week.  Do a "We are the developers behind Dungeons and Dragons Online!" AMA on Reddit gaming and DND.  Sell a DDO bundle on Roll20 that has a bunch of maps and stuff for some of the more popular DDO content.  Advertise themselves as basically PoE the MMO.

They switch their income model away from selling content and instead start selling cosmetics and QoL stuff.

Sell me new spell graphics.  Imagine if you could bling up your dimension door so yours looked like a portal from D2 (kinda), some kind of hell gate, a field of broccoli.

Sell me things like a perma airship portal, perma bigby's hand, perma heal scroll that consumes some platinum every time I use it just so I don't have to keep making that run to Jorasco every TR.

They could do so much more.  If Runescape can fucking make a come back like it did, so can DDO.

But they won't and I have to tell myself it's because WoTC would smack them down in a minute if they tried.  If DDO even showed a glimmer of hope of pulling people away from NWN WoTC would be all over that.

Because the alternative is that Sev is a chicken shit with no spine and wants to keep collecting an easy, albeit shitty, paycheck over making DDO something great.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2018 at 2:29pm by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Nice idea Zehnpai. Sounds expensive as f***** though and they're pretty stupid.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure SSG employs anyone who understands UI

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I was under the impression that NWN was dead in the water after a series of disgusting moves by Perfect World to squeeze the gwailo for every penny they could, and the users abandoned it in droves.

Although, it is probably true that DDO is handcuffed by WotC... Not necessarily over NWN in particular, but because DDO runs on the 3.5 rule set (nominally) and that really bothers WotC because that ruleset is defacto public domain with their IP stamped on it (re: No control).

It also doesn't help that every developer/IP holder in the world wants to cash in on the supposed ocean of mobile gaming micro-transactions in China. Even Blizzard fell into the Chinese honeypot trap (or ActiVision, however you like to frame it).

I think these developers will be very disappointed when the Chinese companies they hire to code or interface with the Chinese Bureaucracy steal everything in their IP that isn't nailed down before before building a brazen knock-off game with their pilfered materials and running away with every last renminbi (which China will allow because the PRC takes a VERY dim view of their money leaving their borders).

DDO v2.0 is long overdue, but I doubt that SSG or any similar studio will ever win a bid for the license to develop it, which is sad.

Even as a 12 year old game, DDO has a lot to offer compared to other MMOs, despite it's plethora of glaring faults.

Edited:
When I say "sad" it's not about SSG not being the developer, but because it would just get handed off to slave labour in China and be reduced to time gated p2w micro-transaction Hell.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2018 at 5:31pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Nov 22nd, 2018 at 2:28pm:
Advertise themselves as basically PoE the MMO

They could never capture that audience. Largely due to how the game is built for TRs. Try telling someone they have to tr 96 times, and farm 66 reaper points to play the game at a high level. POE is popular because it strictly rewards alt play. Because their loot system is the best in the business, which allows the game to grow from new players to long time players just returning to do a league. They have built the game to be an incentive for all play styles and players. DDO sells character power in the store. It is laughed at by anyone not playing it still.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
I don't think it's that much of a stretch.  It doesn't take ~that~ much to make an R4+ viable character in DDO.  You're not going to do bleeding edge content until you've sunk some serious time in, but most PoE players are used to the concept of starting over.

I mean you market it that way.  It's like league play, but you get to carry over some character power.

Alt play wouldn't take too much in DDO either really.  PL's and RXP become account wide.  Remove the different XP required for 1st/2nd/3rd+ lives and just flatten it out at 2nd life xp rate.  All BTC gear is now BTA.

Bam.  Alts are suddenly a thing again.

Itemization and Reaper mode is also salvageable but those are huge posts in and of themselves.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Nov 22nd, 2018 at 5:28pm:
I was under the impression that NWN was dead in the water

It's not.  It's still the most popular MMO on XBox1 and pretty much the only MMO on PS4.  Conservative estimates put it at around 50~100k users per day.

By contrast DDO is at about 2k users on a good day.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Nov 22nd, 2018 at 2:47pm:
I'm not sure SSG employs anyone who understands UI

The DDO side of things is mostly just technicians I believe.  The reaper trees being a copy/paste job, the botched attempt at expanding the banking UI, etc...

Creating any actual new UI elements would require an actual engineer and not just a tech.

They have a few actual engineers on staff I believe but the majority of their time is spent on LOTRO.  Cordo or Sev talked about it briefly and how they had to 'schedule time' with engineers for certain things, mostly bug fixes though.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Well, I did get infractions on the MBs for pointing out that they have only games devs at SSG and not a single business person

They have no business people, so its no surprise they are clueless.

I wouldnt expect a plumber to be good car mechanic - but apparently in SSG world being a mediocre games developer also magically makes you also a genius business person

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Having listened to Sev on a podcast it really blows my mind they he hasn't been able to make DDO into a money printing machine, or at least be related to someone that could.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 12:46am
Print Post  
goldgolem wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 7:44pm:
They have no business people, so its no surprise they are clueless.

The thing is, you don't even need a "business person" to be even moderately successful.  Any reasonably intelligent adult would be able to figure out how to sell stuff for profit.  The fact that they can't even do that speaks volumes.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #22 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 5:25am
Print Post  
I don't know anyone who appears really good - and that means competent - in their position at SSG.
This is based mostly on personal experiences and how they act/react on the mobo.
Nada.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Darcat
DQ Assaulter

BEEFCAKE!!

Reply #23 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I'm a stupid fucking twat  Cheesy

IP Logged

Friendship
Korthos Resident

Love me! Please?

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I never understood why they don't put consumables on sale more often.

Think if they had a 30% sale on mnemonics. People would buy thousands of points-worth of them as long as they aren't too often.

But what do they do? Recycle the same sales every 3 weeks. How can you claim a "wow, otto boxes are on sale, so I must buy some points using real money to get as many as there are before they disappear?" when you know boxes will be back in two weeks?

I've been saving my points up for some of the races, but they never go on sale. Gnomes and a few other races are on sale every other week.

Put low-level or badly outdated packs on semi-constant sale. The only people who will buy them are people who are new (or alts), who are unlikely to have a large saved-up account of points, as well as you get the double-effect of having more content for new players to do and get hooked into the game.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint