Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic EK Meme Build (Read 3457 times)
Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

EK Meme Build
Dec 12th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
How viable is a sorc EK if you go full tard and take a savant capstone (so your spellsword actually deals damage to everything).

I'm tempted to eat a +20 heart on my dragonborn life and mess with it, but I'm curious if anyone else has derped around before me.

If you go Air Savant/Blue Dragon you'd have pretty solid evo DCs and you'd have the electric loop SLA for some CC when you aren't dropping CCing breath attacks. But other than that, I'm not thinking it'd be all that great unless the new level 9 spells really do make that much difference. Alternatively acid is pretty solid as well and has decent gear built for it. And fire is well fire; useful for boosting your spell damage endgame wise and synergizes with DC instead of Draconic.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:20pm by Edrein »  

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re: EK Meme Build
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
theory says incredibly good. will test soon.

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Ek imbues are different than arcane archer in that you get ALL the stances for the various elemental dmg types and can pick and choose which one you want to use situationaly. This is one of the strengths of the tree. Thus having a sorc capstone is not really necessary.

Careful stance switching can often get you double dmg on susceptible mobs as well which is nice.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 7:08pm:
Ek imbues are different than arcane archer in that you get ALL the stances for the various elemental dmg types and can pick and choose which one you want to use situationaly. This is one of the strengths of the tree. Thus having a sorc capstone is not really necessary.

Careful stance switching can often get you double dmg on susceptible mobs as well which is nice.

True; but if you're trying to absolutely max your elemental damage per swing you'll want to be able to break the DR. Not to mention depending on your element you can get additional riders: Scion feats, Filagrees, weapon effects, and even racial (Shadar).

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:15am
Print Post  
If you're really maxing out imbue dmg then you need to go EK capstone right?  Your standard dmg is about 40% greater using captone than just having the level 18 core. That is without the temporary buff.  When the 30 second buff is in play it is well over double dmg and closer to 250% of regular once you take into account the force dmg added.  If the 10% boost to dmg applies to imbues as well then it will be closer to 300% of your standard dmg during that 30 second buff time!

Leveling a pure wiz/vistani now and it sucks at low levels but we'll see as the scaling is so bonkers.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:17am by Ulysses »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:15am:
If you're really maxing out imbue dmg then you need to go EK capstone right?  Your standard dmg is about 40% greater using captone than just having the level 18 core. That is without the temporary buff.  When the 30 second buff is in play it is well over double dmg and closer to 250% of regular once you take into account the force dmg added.  If the 10% boost to dmg applies to imbues as well then it will be closer to 300% of your standard dmg during that 30 second buff time!

Leveling a pure wiz/vistani now and it sucks at low levels but we'll see as the scaling is so bonkers.

Hmm, a fair point but you also have to remember that uptime is kind of blegh, combined with the fact you again will hit the problem of having to constantly swap your imbue to try and play whack-a-mole with mobs.

Either way I'd love to see what you think of the pure EK capstone. Going to wait a day or two before I commit to eating a +20 heart. On the flip side 12 bard/6 sorc/2 fighter has been hilariously fun. Using a mix of warchanter and EK is pretty strong, and having solid temp HP ticks every 10 seconds is great. But obviously the spellsword is gimpy compared to more pure builds.

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Ok sorry for the delay but here's my update.  I'm now level 15 and it's starting to get strong....real strong.

Early levels I was super weak especially on defense.  I wasn't smart enough to take some undead and just heal through everything until i was like level 8.  Since the EK tree gives so much universal spellpower (way over 100) the undead healing is really strong.

Anyways the imbue scaling is real.  At level 9 i started to feel decent strong, at 12 I started leading kill counts.  Just hit 15 and it's one more die and it's a ton of dmg. 

For numbers I'm at 478 acid spell power at level 15.  My imbues are 5d8 or 22.5 base average dmg.  Times this by 5.7 and I average 130 dmg per swing (on elite).  Now 2 wpn fighting with 2 two daggers with 60% offhand strike chance (impr 2 wpn figting only due to low BAB) and about 45% dbl strike and the imbues are doing a ton of dmg.

However, the scaling I'm about to hit is just nuts.  At 18 I go to 6d10 or 33 base dmg (50% over what i'm currently at).  Then 20 will get me 7d12 or 45.5 base for damn near another 50% increase.  I'm pretty much giddy thinking about it being over twice the imbue dmg i'm doing right now AND that doesn't account for the temporary boost which should put it just into crazy high land. 

I'll update once i hit cap but right now this thing is about as strong as my monk/druid wolf which I would've never thought possible. Early levels no way as strong but man does it come on at the end.

Running wiz, full int based, right now have EK maxed out and int to hit (but str to dmg) and just one level of KTA and the 20% doublestrike from Vistani.  Running in Vampire shroud and just power healing through R3 content solo with little problem.  Well, light casting mobs ARE a problem and I have to play carefully around them.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2018 at 2:55am by Ulysses »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Dec 19th, 2018 at 2:52am:
Ok sorry for the delay but here's my update.  I'm now level 15 and it's starting to get strong....real strong.

Early levels I was super weak especially on defense.  I wasn't smart enough to take some undead and just heal through everything until i was like level 8.  Since the EK tree gives so much universal spellpower (way over 100) the undead healing is really strong.

Anyways the imbue scaling is real.  At level 9 i started to feel decent strong, at 12 I started leading kill counts.  Just hit 15 and it's one more die and it's a ton of dmg. 

For numbers I'm at 478 acid spell power at level 15.  My imbues are 5d8 or 22.5 base average dmg.  Times this by 5.7 and I average 130 dmg per swing (on elite).  Now 2 wpn fighting with 2 two daggers with 60% offhand strike chance (impr 2 wpn figting only due to low BAB) and about 45% dbl strike and the imbues are doing a ton of dmg.

However, the scaling I'm about to hit is just nuts.  At 18 I go to 6d10 or 33 base dmg (50% over what i'm currently at).  Then 20 will get me 7d12 or 45.5 base for damn near another 50% increase.  I'm pretty much giddy thinking about it being over twice the imbue dmg i'm doing right now AND that doesn't account for the temporary boost which should put it just into crazy high land. 

I'll update once i hit cap but right now this thing is about as strong as my monk/druid wolf which I would've never thought possible. Early levels no way as strong but man does it come on at the end.

Running wiz, full int based, right now have EK maxed out and int to hit (but str to dmg) and just one level of KTA and the 20% doublestrike from Vistani.  Running in Vampire shroud and just power healing through R3 content solo with little problem.  Well, light casting mobs ARE a problem and I have to play carefully around them.

If you're running vamp I'd say SWF is the better way to go. Especially since you can grab the extra 20MP and SWF is less stat based as far as leveling goes. Additionally vamp favors both the attack speed and PSFW for scoring the neg level vorpals. Granted they aren't massively useful in higher skulls but every bit helps.

If anything you should try to juggle your AP costs and grab wraith. That's a full 30% incorp without the extra light vulnerability.

If the devs act on my suggested feedback over the years and the thread I cannot see anymore in the PC forums, then there's a good chance Vampire will get scaling lifesteal. What it scales with is up for debate at this point, but we can hope for it and hope further they won't lock that vampirism in the T5 like it currently stands.

I'd love to see your final thoughts on the capstone though. The idea I'm having for the Sorc version means you have to give up the vistani goodies either way to get the 18 core from EK as I'm in agreement with you that damage increase would be massive. As well as the fact you'd need to give up on SWF/TWF and just run S&B to get the temp HP from shield striker. Even that anemic amount of temp HP is the difference between life and death on a squishy melee build like this.

Of course if you're doing a dragonborn sorc as I'm thinking, you can get by with draconic and making sure to take Draconic Hunger. Still not amazing temp HP but it stacks and would help. Additionally by running S&B you'll atleast have PRR and MRR to offset the fact you don't have an innate defensive stance such a druid or fighter.

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Ok sorry for long delay. I had my ups and downs with this build but in the end I'm rating it VERY strong.  It just is so magnified by gear. 

I usually just gimp along until level 29 when I can get all my RL gear and during that time build wasn't feeling so strong.  Not gimp by any means as I could comfortably solo EE but wasn't working too hot on Reaper settings.

Hit 29/30 and omg the clouds parted and rays of damage and even survivability came down from the heavens.  I am using both Mists of Ravenloft 5 piece set and 3 piece Beacon of Magic set.  With this set up and all buffs I am hitting 1200 fire spell power consistently (can peak at 1300!).  With the Fire Legendary feat (2d20 fire dmg that scales) i'm doing on average 67 fire dmg base without Capstone buff and 92 with. Times these by 13 for spellpower and I'm doing 871 to 1196 extra fire dmg per attack.  While 2 wpn fighting and with doublestrike it adds up.

Also have about a 92 int right now which is enough to CC most mobs if you pick the right save in Legendary R2 or R3. 

Finally, I am a wraith as you suggested and if i do some gear swaps (and hit Wellspring of power) I am casting my Death Aura's at about 1200 spellpower.  This allows me to quite easily tank Legendary R2 to R3 as the healing is just so strong it overpowers reaper debuff. 

I am missing some gear like the Legendary Cursekeeper neg healing trinket from Age of Rage and I am currently not using a sentient weapon (Main hand Vulkoor's Edge, off hand legendary planar spike for those delicious random crits on my Tier 5 cleave).  If I was to get the Cursekeeper trinket and sentient my weapon I could almost double my self healing and either get Prowess set or 15d6 more fire dmg and 50 more fire spellpower.

I think with those improvements this guy could easily solo R4 perhaps R5 Legendary content at relatively fast speeds. Like, no needing to sit and wait for all sorts of timers to come back up or anything, regularly plowing through type speeds.

I don't know about you guys but anything that can solo that type of difficulty (and broad based too, not just certain quests) is extremely powerful to me.  Honestly the only build I think I would perhaps rate stronger is the Wis based Wolf/monk I was talking about on these forums last month. 

I might post a full build and if i do I'll link it here.

Edit: Oh shit forgot to mention the "blasting" part of the build.  The improvements to dmg on spells makes them well worth mixing in to the rotation. You really do have to swing/swing/spell to maximize the build.  My general lazy rotation is my EK special attacks mixed in with Meteor Swarm and Acid Well which both are putting out pretty awesome AoE dmg when you're looking at 1200 fire spell power and 1100 acid giver or take 100. 

« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:18pm by Ulysses »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Do you have any in-game video? It would be nice to see what your rotation looks like with numbers. Also, you maxed Int but only have Str to Damage on your weapons? I would think a dip to Harper for Int to damage and KTA would be the obvious choice here.

Do EK procs from Spellsword crit?
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:40pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:30pm:
Do you have any in-game video? It would be nice to see what your rotation looks like with numbers. Also, you maxed Int but only have Str to Damage on your weapons? I would think a dip to Harper for Int to damage and KTA would be the obvious choice here.

Do EK procs from Spellsword crit?

Oh ya i have int to hit and dmg and KTA of course.  I'll put it in big build write up but 44 or so in EK, 22 i think in PM and 14 in harper?  Picking up extra int here and there.

I know for a fact more dmg would be no Pale Master and put those points into Vistani but on an Elf which is the race i needed to do I can't self heal other ways.  Also once spell power gets that high the undead self healing gets pretty op.

I have never recorded video and might look into that. Can post some screenshots I guess.

The durability at cap is pretty....surprising. Since you're running the "touch range only" stance in EK there's no reason not to turn on the epic defensive fighting feat as well which gives you that extra 30% hp.

Anyways I'll get around to posting full build soon. Gear layout worked out better than I expected.

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Here's something kind've fun while I work on the full build post.  I don't usually run in Fury of the Wild but if you do this is possible every 30 seconds:

https://imgur.com/a/JGeBpaI

So that was my 2nd try and got 47,434 dmg.  I'm pretty sure I can double or triple that.  First I'm not using sentient weapon so that would be 70 or so more MP I could get with prowess and other MP maxing filligree.  Also not spec'd for helpless dmg, nor was that mob made vulnerable.   All my slowly building buffs from casting aren't maxed out in that screen shot either.  Was using a x2 crit weapon (could use a pick for x4 to start).  Was not in Eldritch Power mode
which grants flat 10% increase to all dmg. Finally, I didn't have Silent Avenger set bonus on for it's additional helpless damage nor helpless dmg from Falconer (couldn't be undead anymore).

The mob was helpless though from Hold Monster. 

So maybe 100,000 to 150,000 AoE crit every 30 seconds on a helpless mob? I might play around with this a bit more.

Edit:  Someone teach me how to post a damn image instead of the link, I guess I'm a fucking retard.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:43pm by Ulysses »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
most people record and upload to youtube

looks sweet. I figured that t5 would be good to add to Fury, but what would you do with adrenalines the rest of the time?

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 12:36am
Print Post  
https://i.imgur.com/ydbBcAC.jpg

you need this type of link

and then you put it in the "img" "/img"

on imgur there are several options to get the .jpg link. A simple way is to just right click a photo and open in new window
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2019 at 12:37am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Please post build details and gear maybe every 5 level ranges

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Got around to trying mine out as well.

So I'd argue the damage on the pure sorc version with the elemental capstone is good. I was able to solo up to R2 without dying, R3 was acceptable but I was dying.

I didn't really blow through SP except when I went full nuke or needed to focus on healing. But overall I think the build is good. I'd rather play any of my various druid builds though.

Or if I get the time and/or vampire form possibly gets a buff strong enough to make me try the wizard version spoken of here.

The one thing I'm certain my build had over the other guy was the fact I could CC just about anything between the Electric Loop SLA and twisting Sound Burst. Add in Dire Charge and I was a CC machine.

That being said I didn't have the AP to spend on vistani and I forgo'd going TWF to test going full defense. So you definitely want to run the wizard build unless you want to go say Fire Savant and full retard with Divine Crusader or the like to handle your self healing needs.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
divine crusader seems decent, tho the SLA T6 is Wisdom based for some reason

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 4:08pm:
divine crusader seems decent, tho the SLA T6 is Wisdom based for some reason

DC definitely favors Fire Savant on a dragon boring.

I was running Draconic as an air savant EK. And boy was I tearing into things. Thunderstruck was dropping 10ks, Draconic breath was another 10k, and my normal breath was dropping 3k a pop even in R3.

But if CC isn't the goal, then I'd definitely say go fire and DC. 20% damage boost from the Scion feat is nice. Especially when it should apply to your consecration. The SLAs are kind of meh. But fire definitely has good self-sufficiency.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint