Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Volley (Read 2872 times)
Atombomb
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Volley
Dec 16th, 2018 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Building a toon around Volley, grabbed one a few days ago.
16 rogue/4arti, Int or Dex based? Falcon viable with Wis?
Race doesn't matter, just looking for the best synergy for a Great Xbow. Have not played a ranged toon in a few years.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Volley
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Do not do a great xbow build without 18 rogue. I like 18/2, but pure is good too. Int synergy with harper, no falcon.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1443343697/75

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 11:36am
Print Post  
10/6/4 with fusilade is the highest burst dps for all ranged builds outside of a fury thrower. Very limited rotations and even people bad at dps can do well with it.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Atombomb wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 5:07pm:
Building a toon around Volley, grabbed one a few days ago.
16 rogue/4arti, Int or Dex based? Falcon viable with Wis?
Race doesn't matter, just looking for the best synergy for a Great Xbow. Have not played a ranged toon in a few years.

The TL;DR version:
  • Int to hit/dmg - other stats are not optimal
  • Pure rogue or 18/2 rogue/artie is the easy, auto-fire option
  • 16/4, 12/6/2, and 10/6/4 rogue/artie/x options are more DPS, particularly on bosses, but require some effort
  • Race matters a lot - Halfling or Gnome - IPS angle is key for trash clearing

The long version:
There is entirely too much synergy with the Mechanic and Harper trees and Int to-hit/dmg to pass up on any xbow build.  Dex and Wis might be viable, but will not be optimal.

Race most definitely does matter.  It matters a lot due to the projectile angle and IPS.  Halfling and gnome are significantly better than the larger races in this regard.  Other races may be more DPS on paper, but being able to IPS a whole line of short-hitbox mobs(wolves, etc.) rather than one or two at a time is a big difference when clearing trash.  Even elves usually aren't low enough to hit an entire line of short mobs with IPS.

The 18/2 or pure 20 rogue xbow builds will be easier to run close to their max potential and can provide consistent DPS across a variety of scenarios (trash mobs, bosses, single targets, groups, etc.).

The 16/4, 12/6/2, and 10/6/4 rogue/artie/x versions will provide higher burst DPS due to Endless Fusilade, but are lower DPS than pure Rogue whenever EF is not active.  With a solid build and judicious use of action boosts between shrines, these are probably the better overall option, but they do take more work and focus to maximize their potential.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2018 at 2:50pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
ps: IPS optimization by race size is crucial on literally any ranged build, btw. It is not specific to to xbows

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Meh, it's really not that big of a deal, as long as you aren't Warforged/Bladeforged/Half Orc/PDK/Dragonborn.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
human also sucks out loud for IPS, but the difference in a quest with lots of rats or oozes makes the difference huge, or small mobs like kobolds
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2018 at 3:48pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 18th, 2018 at 10:14am:
Meh, it's really not that big of a deal, as long as you aren't Warforged/Bladeforged/Half Orc/PDK/Dragonborn.

I disagree.

I've run ranged builds on Halfling, Gnomes, Human, Half-Elf, Aasimar, etc.  There is a noticeable difference in IPS effectiveness on Halflings and Gnomes versus the rest.  Even Elves have IPS angle problems.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2018 at 4:00pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 18th, 2018 at 3:52pm:
I disagree.

I've run ranged builds on Halfling, Gnomes, Human, Half-Elf, Aasimar, etc.  There is a noticeable difference in IPS effectiveness on Halflings and Gnomes versus the rest.  Even Elves have IPS angle problems.

So you specifically haven't run Warforged/Bladeforged/Half Orc/PDK/Dragonborn?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 21st, 2018 at 11:45am:

seems even worse. I have though. I have had a mech robot and pdk when mech was updated. Little races fire lower.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 21st, 2018 at 11:45am:

What I gather from this is that you don't understand what "etc." and "the rest" means.  Additionally, it seems like you're just looking to argue for the sake of arguing?

If Warforged, Bladeforged, Half-Orc, PDK, and Dragonborn are taller than Humans, Half-Elves, and Aasimar, then logic would indicate the races taller than Humans, Half-Elves, and Aasimar would have an even worse IPS angle.

Of course, this is SSG we're talking about and assuming that logic and common sense apply is a risky proposition, so I suppose it is entirely possible that the taller races piss shurikens from their sensitive bits and have the best IPS angle.  If so, PM pls.  =)
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2018 at 10:52pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 21st, 2018 at 10:51pm:
  Additionally, it seems like you're just looking to argue for the sake of arguing?

nah, we are witnessing dementia set in on an old autistic granny.

IP Logged

OSeanessy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 6:31am
Print Post  
Sorry to interrupt you guys showing each other your sausages Cheesy but what's the best split for leveling heroic content (not end game build)?

Rubbins mentioned 10/6/4 split.. I guess that's 10 rogue, 6 art, but not sure what the 4 is.. ranger, fighter?

IP Logged

kozmo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Dec 23rd, 2018 at 5:49am
Print Post  
10 rogue, T5 in mechanic,  6 fighter (for critical multiplier in kensei), 4 artificier for fussilade.

IP Logged

OSeanessy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2018 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Cheers for that, thank you

IP Logged

imanoob
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 17th, 2018 at 11:36am:
10/6/4 with fusilade is the highest burst dps for all ranged builds outside of a fury thrower. Very limited rotations and even people bad at dps can do well with it.

Yes. I run 10/6/4 as I like leading the kill count, something I could not achieve with 18/2.   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint