Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Game population and season pass (Read 6520 times)
GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Game population and season pass
Reply #25 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Dec 20th, 2018 at 12:50am:
link to what I was thinking about

The first link shows that, of the people who responded to the poll, 11 use steam and 62 use other.
Roughly 6x, so active use can be extrapolated as:
Logged on = Steam x 7

The second link shows that currently, averages over the last 6 months, a peak population of 400 on steam.

That gives us roughly 2800 players, on what, 7 servers (Wayfinder doesn't matter)

So you can expect, at peak, about 400 players logged in.

Interestingly, I noticed that the steam data is in a steady decline from June of 2012, when peak was 1368, to Dec 2018, when peak was 319.

A graph with data like that would suggest it's time to cut the cord, sooner than later.

It also tells me that you could merge half the servers and still be under the server populations of 2012.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #26 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
True.

Rubbinns wrote on Dec 20th, 2018 at 3:59am:
I liked RL because of the feel. The music, the look of the armors, the environment is dark and gloomy. And the mob spawn points felt right too.

Ruins, Wrath, and Raven at Door felt like lazy fillers. Raven especially feels like it should just be in Invitation and not its own quest. Tea Party isn't bad. Large map, lot of little things to discover in the upper levels.

Fresh Baked has a fun end fight. Vintage is lackluster.

Sunrise is underrated. The Abbot there is one of the coolest looking and scripted bosses in the game. The voice acting, his lines right before he goes into his final form. His final form! His construct zombie bride. The blessed pool of suicide. Strahd's "she is minneee!!".

Oath of Vengeance has a dope atmosphere inside of an abandoned castle. But a shitty end fight. I don't know the paper analogue to it, but I'd hope it wasn't pull 3 levers and solve a floor tile puzzle. Seems like it should have been longer.

Strahd raid is an all time great raid. It's just hard enough and the pace has a cohesive order. Fight his right hand man, then ascend the spiral stair case of death into the heart of castle ravenloft. The need of the sunsword to hurt and kill strahd. The cards I could do without, as to me they are just a bunch of re-skinned fucking levers inside crypts. But, hey ; at least they didnt use levers...

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Dec 20th, 2018 at 9:04pm:
True

no, you

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #28 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 18th, 2018 at 1:37pm:
lazily copy paste

F

t w

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #29 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 20th, 2018 at 3:59am:
I liked RL because of the feel. The music, the look of the armors, the environment is dark and gloomy. And the mob spawn points felt right too.

Ruins, Wrath, and Raven at Door felt like lazy fillers. Raven especially feels like it should just be in Invitation and not its own quest. Tea Party isn't bad. Large map, lot of little things to discover in the upper levels.

Fresh Baked has a fun end fight. Vintage is lackluster.

Sunrise is underrated. The Abbot there is one of the coolest looking and scripted bosses in the game. The voice acting, his lines right before he goes into his final form. His final form! His construct zombie bride. The blessed pool of suicide. Strahd's "she is minneee!!".

Oath of Vengeance has a dope atmosphere inside of an abandoned castle. But a shitty end fight. I don't know the paper analogue to it, but I'd hope it wasn't pull 3 levers and solve a floor tile puzzle. Seems like it should have been longer.

Strahd raid is an all time great raid. It's just hard enough and the pace has a cohesive order. Fight his right hand man, then ascend the spiral stair case of death into the heart of castle ravenloft. The need of the sunsword to hurt and kill strahd. The cards I could do without, as to me they are just a bunch of re-skinned fucking levers inside crypts. But, hey ; at least they didnt use levers...

I get the video game contrivances of levers in Argynvostholt and cards in the crypts. It's dumb and it makes no sense story-wise, but I get it. But has anyone ever called them out on that spiral staircase of death being five times bigger in the raid instance than in the quest instance? It's always bugged me, and there's really no excuse for that.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Dec 20th, 2018 at 8:44pm:
The first link shows that, of the people who responded to the poll, 11 use steam and 62 use other.
Roughly 6x, so active use can be extrapolated as:
Logged on = Steam x 7

The second link shows that currently, averages over the last 6 months, a peak population of 400 on steam.

That gives us roughly 2800 players, on what, 7 servers (Wayfinder doesn't matter)

So you can expect, at peak, about 400 players logged in.

Interestingly, I noticed that the steam data is in a steady decline from June of 2012, when peak was 1368, to Dec 2018, when peak was 319.

A graph with data like that would suggest it's time to cut the cord, sooner than later.

It also tells me that you could merge half the servers and still be under the server populations of 2012. 

I played a fuckton around 2012. I haven't played much since around a year after that.

It's a shame that DDO is doing so poorly, it should be thriving. D&D is more popular now than it ever has been, and someone Turdbin (Sorry, SSG, same thing) is squandering their IP. I wish that Hasbro would step in and fix the mess that is DDO. I'd like to come back and play but at this point it might be a better idea to just scrap the whole thing and make DDO2.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2018 at 12:07pm by Soul »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #31 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Dec 22nd, 2018 at 12:05pm:
It's a shame that DDO is doing so poorly, it should be thriving. D&D is more popular now than it ever has been, and someone Turdbin (Sorry, SSG, same thing) is squandering their IP. I wish that Hasbro would step in and fix the mess that is DDO. I'd like to come back and play but at this point it might be a better idea to just scrap the whole thing and make DDO2.

What if the owner of the D&D IP favored one game (Neverwinter) over another (DDO)?

Would they approve of advertising/marketing for DDO if it would draw players away from Neverwinter?

Would they approve the creation of DDO2 if it would draw players away from Neverwinter?

Answer those questions and then look at what SSG has to work with and what the situation with DDO is today.

Frankly, SSG is doing an amazing job considering they have both hands and one foot tied behind their back.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2018 at 12:51pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Dec 22nd, 2018 at 12:50pm:
Frankly, SSG is doing an amazing job considering they have both hands and one foot tied behind their back.

They do not. Their marketing strategy is piss poor due to them having an abysmally low new player retention rate. The cost to benefit and advertising to sales ratio are low because of those reasons. Tell yourself whatever lies you need to in order to keep playing, but stop with the " ThEy ArE nOt AlLoWeD tO AdVeRtIsE".

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #33 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 22nd, 2018 at 1:42pm:
They do not. Their marketing strategy is piss poor due to them having an abysmally low new player retention rate. The cost to benefit and advertising to sales ratio are low because of those reasons. Tell yourself whatever lies you need to in order to keep playing, but stop with the " ThEy ArE nOt AlLoWeD tO AdVeRtIsE". 

Marketing strategy? You're high. You recommend taking a full page ad out in AARP?

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #34 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 22nd, 2018 at 1:42pm:

I challenge you to find a SINGLE ad placed either by Turbine or SSG AFTER Neverwinter came out. I'm specifically thinking about the marketing campaign (ads and everything else) that accompanied the release of Neverwinter's version of Ravenloft and the lack of any marketing (ads) for DDO's Ravenloft release which came out at about the same time.

The difference was telling.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2018 at 2:30pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Dec 22nd, 2018 at 2:21pm:
I challenge you to find a SINGLE ad placed either by Turbine or SSG AFTER Neverwinter came out.

That is when i started playing this game. Not like I saw an ad then either. I stumbled upon ddo from using youtube to searh for d&d games.

Technomage wrote on Dec 22nd, 2018 at 2:21pm:
I'm specifically thinking about the marketing campaign (ads and everything else) that accompanied the release of Neverwinter's version of Ravenloft and the lack of any marketing (ads) for DDO's Ravenloft release which came out at about the same time

Why would they advertise to players already playing the game, and knowing that they cannot retain new players well enough to profit from advertising to them.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #36 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I get DDO ads on facebook. I'll screenshot the next one that comes up.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2018 at 6:21pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #37 - Dec 23rd, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Dec 22nd, 2018 at 6:21pm:
I get DDO ads on facebook.

Me too. I even saw a banner ad...back in 2009, before everyone blocked those.

I have seen zero ads for NWO's version of Raveloft, though.

It would have made sense for WotC to screw DDO in favor of NWO when 4th edition tabletop D&D was current, since NWO was based on 4th edition rules. 5th edition has been out for some time now though.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #38 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
WoTC just tells them what content they can use.  They don't tell them to make it shitty.  WoTC says, "Go ahead and make White Plume".  It's SSG that makes the mobs in there have 5x normal mob hp and give 1/2 as much XP as other quests at that level.

And you don't need a huge marketing budget.

When Ravenloft was coming out I asked them if they'd be interested in doing an AMA with the mods of r/DND, over at r/gaming and at r/DDO.

Crickets.

During the last three SGDC and AGDC's I asked if I could buy a bunch of 500 point codes, out of my own goddamn pocket, to run speedrun contests and drum up some interest in DDO as a speedrun game.

Crickets.

I suggested they get one of the mid-tier variety streamers to do a sponsored stream.  Why do you think Runescape got so popular again?  They paid a bunch of streamers to start memeing the shit out of the game.  Bam, instant following again.

Nope.  Not SSG.

Instead of fixing the LFM system so new players can know what the fuck they're doing and how to find people, then releasing a battle pass for 25 bucks that contains all dungeon content in the game and hyping the shit out of it, they instead sell daily gold rolls for 50 bucks for 2 years.

Nobody who doesn't already play the game is going to buy into that.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Dec 24th, 2018 at 4:13pm:
WoTC just tells them what content they can use.  They don't tell them to make it shitty.  WoTC says, "Go ahead and make White Plume".  It's SSG that makes the mobs in there have 5x normal mob hp and give 1/2 as much XP as other quests at that level.

And you don't need a huge marketing budget.

When Ravenloft was coming out I asked them if they'd be interested in doing an AMA with the mods of r/DND, over at r/gaming and at r/DDO.

Crickets.

During the last three SGDC and AGDC's I asked if I could buy a bunch of 500 point codes, out of my own goddamn pocket, to run speedrun contests and drum up some interest in DDO as a speedrun game.

Crickets.

I suggested they get one of the mid-tier variety streamers to do a sponsored stream.  Why do you think Runescape got so popular again?  They paid a bunch of streamers to start memeing the shit out of the game.  Bam, instant following again.

Nope.  Not SSG.

Instead of fixing the LFM system so new players can know what the fuck they're doing and how to find people, then releasing a battle pass for 25 bucks that contains all dungeon content in the game and hyping the shit out of it, they instead sell daily gold rolls for 50 bucks for 2 years.

Nobody who doesn't already play the game is going to buy into that.

Just ran a couple Tethymar quests heroic R1 it's absurd.  Why anyone with a brain would want to run that shit is beyond me, shit xp and mobs with insane hit points and saves... there are some good items there but fuck me if I am gonna run that shit at level for them.  I just jumped into a PUG group and got lucky they were excellent players, but that shit is NEVER on my "to do" list leveling heroic or epic.  Ravenloft is a really bizarre exception, although things like the first fight in "invitation to dinner" is stupidly difficult compared to the rest of the quest.  But fucking the Rage series..., the name is right, if you thought everything after RL was gonna be good, you'd be in a rage.... and WPM is equally piss poor value for time and effort...  That is, except when I run my quarterstaff build, then I crush everything all day long, OP AF.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2018 at 6:30pm by Tspoon »  

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Schizophrenic difficulty is something that's bothered me about DDO for a long time. Look at quests like Tethymar, Tower of Frost, Dragonborn Prophecy, Slave Lords, Temple of Elemental Fail, Creeping Death/Curse the Sky, Heart of Madness, and pretty much every other pack released post Shadowfell. These quests are all vastly more difficult than any quests designed previously, and there's no greater incentive to run most of them--the exp is mostly the same, the loot is mostly outdated, and most of the quests aren't particularly fun either.

I like having new content, but I also like when game developers can keep a sense of consistency and balance. ToEE on heroic elite is a harder pack than Gianthold quests, which are 6-7 levels higher than it. How nobody at Turbine saw this as a problem is completely beyond me.

Also @Zehnpai, yeesh, that's just sad man. For awhile I've thought that there are things that Turbine could've been doing to engender greater interest in DDO, yet nothing seems to ever happen. DDO's a better game than Runescape (though not better managed), and if Runescape could make a comeback... well, I don't see why DDO can't. I'm not trying to rag on Runescape or anything either since I still think it's a fun game, but DDO at its core has a lot more going for it than Runescape.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #41 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Dec 24th, 2018 at 4:13pm:

Crickets.

Crickets.

Maybe try hosting a Wiki & holding a contest that you yourself can win. SSG might donate prizes to that....

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 7:19pm:
Maybe try hosting a Wiki & holding a contest that you yourself can win. SSG might donate prizes to that....

Dude, it's Christmas. You can't just go around murdering people like that on a holy day.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #43 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
The fact that there's no Roll20 tie-in, they don't ever ask to be guests on Critical Roll, etc...etc...

I mean this shit doesn't cost tons of cash to do.  Some random dude gave out 1000 jars of his pasta sauce on Reddit, got front page, he now clears 7 figures a year selling goddamn pasta sauce.

Some random shitty company from Slovakia got Cohh to play their game on Steam and it doubled their sales pretty much overnight.

Meanwhile the most we see of DDO is what...facebook ads to people who already play DDO and uh...yeah.

I want to believe that WoTC told them they're not allowed to grow the game.  That if they get above X subs or Y number of players, they'll get shut down.

I mean if that were the case, it would explain quite a bit.  And it would sort of make sense.  Things like P99 and whatnot were allowed to exist because they flew below the radar and weren't really a threat to EverQuest.

SSG has a really unique and interesting game on their hands and with some decent leadership and marketing they could absolutely have the game blow up.  Runescape is ugly as shit with worse controls and even less intuitive gameplay but it's huge because they turned it into this amazing meme game.

DDO is basically path of exile the MMO and if they had like, one real programmer on staff, got someone who understood combat balance and one person with some decent basic skill at grass roots marketing it could be a phenomenon.

IP Logged

imanoob
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 10:29pm:
DDO is basically path of exile the MMO and if they had like, one real programmer on staff, got someone who understood combat balance and one person with some decent basic skill at grass roots marketing it could be a phenomenon.

Too late for that now though. If decent people were involved, they'd start from scratch.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #45 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 8:08pm:
Dude, it's Christmas. You can't just go around murdering people like that on a holy day.

Wait for Columbus Day?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint