Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Server population and Google Trends (Read 4385 times)
Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Server population and Google Trends
Dec 29th, 2018 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Its pretty well known that DDO going f2p saved the game.

Here's some facts on the f2p launch:
1. Player base grew 10x
2. Revenue grew 500%
3. Subs doubled

Companies normally dont post sub numbers. Especially Turbine/SSG. From the research I did it seems like DDO peaked at 80-100k players at launch while quickly falling to 20-30k or even lower.

Looking at WoW sub numbers compared to the Google Trends graph. Its identical until Blizzard choose to stop releasing sub numbers. We know since WoD (the worse expansion only being beaten by the current worst expansion, BFA) subs numbers dropped dramatically. Which Google Trends shows perfectly.

http://i.imgur.com/7VMOymp.png   <--WoW sub numbers

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F021dvx  <--Google Trends, type in World of Warcraft, choose the "online game" option

Now that we know the Google Trends graph is a near perfect match for sub numbers lets look at DDO's server pop over its lifespan.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F078r86 <--DDO Google Trend graph. TLDR

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-3.png <--Launch-f2p graph (missing data points from 2007-2010, player base got super low)

http://ddoracle.com/images/MotU_one_year_later.jpg <--MotU expansion to Update 18 graph

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=ddo%20wiki  <-- type in "ddo wiki"

TLDR:
DDO was basically a failure, especially when compared to WoW. The f2p launch saving the game from extinction. MotU gave a very brief resurgence of players just to crash below the levels of pre-motu four months later. Sadly DDO has an even lower population for the past two years than the dark times of 2007-2008.

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2018 at 9:50pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Re: Server population and Google Trends
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
So what's the take away here?

That DDO has a low and diminishing player base? We knew that.

That f2p saved the game? We knew that.

That WoW wildly outperformed DDO (and basically every other MMO)? Not exactly news.

That MotU brought in a surge of people who subsequently quit either due to MotU's hilariously bugged rollout or DDO's obscene new player learning curve? We knew that too.

There are no real surprises anywhere in here, other than somebody went to check the numbers.

Also of note were that all the graphs I looked at in those links end at 2016, and we're literally on the cusp of 2019 (as I write this).

It would be interesting to note the changes post-Ravenloft, which garnered some good press and seems to have drawn in more new players.

So for a game that's "basically a failure" it's 3 years later and still limping along, and pushing through to lucky year 13 and a new expansion.

I'd argue that considering the laundry list of poor decisions by WotC, Turbine, and fighting uphill against Neverwinter, badly bugged code, an old game engine, a miserable learning curve with no fun or attractive starting area to draw in new players, new edition rules changes to the D&D IP itself, starting in a remote location in a sub-optimal campaign world (Xen'drik on Eberron as opposed to literally anywhere in FR or Greyhawk or even Dragonlance), a dev team operating on a shoe-string budget while splitting time with another more popular game (LOTRO), and competing against a sea of Asian MMO's designed  for neckbeards to fap over borderline hentai characters...

DDO lasting this long is something of a minor miracle.

Just my opinion.  Wink

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 12:31pm:
So what's the take away here?

Nothing besides an interesting correlation between Google Trends and mmo player populations. Thought it was worth sharing.

Also of note were that all the graphs I looked at in those links end at 2016, and we're literally on the cusp of 2019 (as I write this).

The Google Trends graphs that I linked show up to current times. Im not sure where you're getting '2016'.

It would be interesting to note the changes post-Ravenloft, which garnered some good press and seems to have drawn in more new players.

By looking at the Google Trend graph for the game there was a very brief rise in interest. Nov.2017 trends hit 6 from the average of 5, rising to 7 in Dec.2017 (Ravenloft release date), lowering to 6 in Jan.2018, then returning to the average of 5 interest in Feb.2018. DDO Wiki trends show the same thing. Put simply, there was increased interest for three months before returning to normal.

There was no mass exodus like the MotU release but this is to be expected. The vast majority of those who still play ddo (and are willing to pay for an expansion) are vets who will stick with ddo till the very end.

So for a game that's "basically a failure" it's 3 years later and still limping along, and pushing through to lucky year 13 and a new expansion.

One cant deny how much of a failure DDO was/is. It was hailed as a "WoW killer". Turned out it was a very niche mmo that was incredibly close to shutting down shortly after launch. Use the compare feature in Google Trends. Its laughable comparing the two.

DDO lasting this long is something of a minor miracle.

Agreed.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2019 at 12:38am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Ddo May have been billed as a wow killer but it was not designed that way.  The game started closer to d&d than mmo and that was never going to be a mass market option. You can’t do rpg in the mmo space like you can in a stand alone game like baldurs gate or dragon age, etc.    they’ve turned towards mmo heavily since and it resembles an mmo now than it did at the start.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 1st, 2019 at 12:29am:
It was hailed as a "WoW killer".

Every MMO is hailed as such.

SWTOR.

Wildstar.

Guild Wars.

Tera.

You go at the king.  You usually miss.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I'm gonna have to agree with Stark on this, every MMO worth it's salt after WoW got popular was gunning for WoW. If that's a metric for failure, any MMO post WoW failed.

A+ for effort trying to find a way to say DDO is dead though, it certainly has all the stuff you'd need to convince yourself that. Personally I prefer hard numbers to anecdotal evidence, but you do you.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 1st, 2019 at 7:35am:
Ddo May have been billed as a wow killer but it was not designed that way.  The game started closer to d&d than mmo and that was never going to be a mass market option. You can’t do rpg in the mmo space like you can in a stand alone game like baldurs gate or dragon age, etc.    they’ve turned towards mmo heavily since and it resembles an mmo now than it did at the start. 

You're exactly right. In hindsight it seems obvious. Although im sure at the time Turbine didnt see what we see today. I think they overestimated the "Dungeon and Dragons" brand. SOE execs surely did with the Star Wars brand (Star Wars Galaxies). DDO surely being a massive disappointment for Turbine. If you cant beat them, join them #lotro

Quote:
I'm gonna have to agree with Stark on this, every MMO worth it's salt after WoW got popular was gunning for WoW. If that's a metric for failure, any MMO post WoW failed.

There's a place in time when comparing them works. Saying other mmos failed because they never beat WoW's sub numbers is retarded. DDO launched early 2006. WoW had 6 mil subs at the time. The Turbine execs/investors must have thought to themselves "Surely we can hit 250k subs (or more) with the D&D branding". They never even hit 100k subs. Quickly crashing to less than 50k after 2007. If that isnt a failure then I dont know what is. This was my intention when comparing the two in my tldr.

Quote:
A+ for effort trying to find a way to say DDO is dead though, it certainly has all the stuff you'd need to convince yourself that. Personally I prefer hard numbers to anecdotal evidence, but you do you.

It was never my intention to say DDO is dead, I just thought Google Trends was a good way to see player population in a graph since turbine/ssg never gave us numbers.

Although now that you mention it. IMO ddo is dead (not literally). I started a month after the f2p launch (Oct. 2009). I pity those who werent there to experience ddo at its peak. Current ddo is a shell of its former self. Obviously ddo isnt going to shut down anytime soon but one cant deny how small the player base is today.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I don't see anything groundbreaking about reciting DDO's launch fails and how F2P microtransactions model swooped in and saved asses. We all know that history. It's also no secret that trying to get a player population to pay money when it's comfortable sucking up on the F2P goodness by launching an expansion that essentially requires purchase is going to kill the player base. Nobody is debating that the player base isn't near it's prime. But I don't think Google Trends is going to get you any good dirt on the player base at current. The only people who legit know what the pop is, well that's SSG and they don't really feel like telling anybody.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 1st, 2019 at 11:03pm:
You're exactly right. In hindsight it seems obvious. Although im sure at the time Turbine didnt see what we see today. I think they overestimated the "Dungeon and Dragons" brand. SOE execs surely did with the Star Wars brand (Star Wars Galaxies). DDO surely being a massive disappointment for Turbine. If you cant beat them, join them #lotro

I don't think the problem was with the D&D brand.  The brand is strong.   (Maybe not 6 million subscribers strong, but you can run a profitable game and be a success at much lower levels than that)

I'd argue that they didn't lean into the Dungeons and Dragons brand enough.   The biggest issue wasn't that it wasn't "MMO" enough.   The bigger issue is that it wasn't RPG enough.   And they tried to course correct in the wrong direction to capture a wider audience that wasn't pure D&D enthusiasts.   

Dungeons and Dragons did not need to be like every other MMO.   It doesn't need PvP or heavy grind or moar bigger numbers that become meaningless.   D&D should not have characters with 5k-9k HP fighting mobs (even bosses) with 6 million HP.   That's purely an MMO.   As is the single character only unlimited progression model.  That is not consistent with D&D.

They moved the game from close-ish to D&D to being more like other MMOs.   That will bring in MMO lover eyeballs while costing you D&D lover eyeballs.   The idea being that there are more MMO lover eyeballs than D&D lover eyeballs.  The problem with that strategy is that the MMO lover eyeballs are less "sticky" with one game than the D&D lover eyeballs.  So it is short term gain for long term loss.   

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't see anything groundbreaking about reciting DDO's launch fails and how F2P microtransactions model swooped in and saved asses. We all know that history.

I recited those to prove that Google Trends graph shows exactly what we know happened. Same with the WoW graphs. Google trends is a near perfect match.

Quote:
Nobody is debating that the player base isn't near it's prime. But I don't think Google Trends is going to get you any good dirt on the player base at current. The only people who legit know what the pop is, well that's SSG and they don't really feel like telling anybody.

By looking at Google Trends I can confidently say that DDO has been floating around its lowest player population for the past two years. Its basically bottomed out and has been coasting along. Just vets left playing. It a good metric to see what mmos are healthy and which are essentially dead. Neverwinter is actually beating out most of the f2p mmos. Star Trek, lotro, DDO, Tera, Blade and Soul. Most likely due to the console port.

Someone could count the /who list on each server at set times for a period of time. This could give us concrete numbers although if I were to guess I'd say around 10k players. Give or take 5k. 

Asheras wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 9:49am:
I don't think the problem was with the D&D brand.  The brand is strong.   (Maybe not 6 million subscribers strong, but you can run a profitable game and be a success at much lower levels than that)

I'd argue that they didn't lean into the Dungeons and Dragons brand enough.   The biggest issue wasn't that it wasn't "MMO" enough.   The bigger issue is that it wasn't RPG enough.   And they tried to course correct in the wrong direction to capture a wider audience that wasn't pure D&D enthusiasts.   

Dungeons and Dragons did not need to be like every other MMO.   It doesn't need PvP or heavy grind or moar bigger numbers that become meaningless.   D&D should not have characters with 5k-9k HP fighting mobs (even bosses) with 6 million HP.   That's purely an MMO.   As is the single character only unlimited progression model.  That is not consistent with D&D.

They moved the game from close-ish to D&D to being more like other MMOs.   That will bring in MMO lover eyeballs while costing you D&D lover eyeballs.   The idea being that there are more MMO lover eyeballs than D&D lover eyeballs.  The problem with that strategy is that the MMO lover eyeballs are less "sticky" with one game than the D&D lover eyeballs.  So it is short term gain for long term loss.   

Its hard to theorize what would have made ddo successful. The D&D brand is strong but I think the D&D fandom is a bit weird. Im probably wrong but it seems like they would prefer the paper version instead of playing an mmo. Especially a game without a dungeon editor.

Its hard to make a online D&D game since the game itself limits you. You have to follow a strict set of rules. Compare that to the pen and paper version. Nearly zero limitations (player vs world). I dont think it would work. So by DDO taking a middle point seems like the best option.

DDO did have a bad launch with server crashes and limited content. The biggest issue most likely being the instanced content along with the boring combat. Sewers, boring enemies, and auto-attacking. I think partly why WoW blew up was the massive, beautiful world you could explore. It created mystique or some shit.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2019 at 11:03am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:07am:
Its hard to theorize what would have made ddo successful. The D&D brand is strong but I think the D&D fandom is a bit weird. Im probably wrong but it seems like they would prefer the paper version instead of playing an mmo. Especially a game without a dungeon editor.

Its hard to make a online D&D game since the game itself limits you. You have to follow a strict set of rules. Compare that to the pen and paper version. Nearly zero limitations (player vs world). I dont think it would work. So by DDO taking a middle point seems like the best option.

DDO did have a bad launch with server crashes and limited content. The biggest issue most likely being the instanced content along with the boring combat. Sewers, boring enemies, and auto-attacking. I think partly why WoW blew up was the massive, beautiful world you could explore. It created mystique or some shit.

Some issues with going from PnP to an MMO:

A big part of the appeal in D&D is the ability for someone to be the Dungeon Master and the fact that the modules are very loosely organized stories.   I've played the exact same module in PnP with different DM's and it felt like totally different experiences.   The rigidness of the dungeons on replay is definitely not the same.

D&D is generally designed around campaigns of the same set of characters adventuring together for an extended period.  Sure gaming groups have players who miss weeks or come and go a bit, but for the most part, you are running a campaign with the same 4-8 people.   Which is more analogous to a static group in an MMO.   Maybe a small guild that only runs inside the guild.   The PUG concept and ability for ANYONE to group with ANYONE independent of story is necessary for an MMO, but a major deviation from how the PnP game is done.  This includes the re-running of content and low drop rates to create gear grinds.   (I mean, I guess there is no problem with re-running content in theory, but you should not get XP or Loot from it after the first run.  Also, most PnP campaigns, loot is shared based on need of the party.  Which only works in a static group environment.  A PUG is not going to share loot like that)

The whole concept of grinds to extend content comes from the flaw that the only content available is developer created.  Traditional PnP campaigns relied heavily on DM created content that incorporated some amount of pre-made content.   In any campaign I played in, the DM created content was 70% or more of the campaign.     Absent that, (and the fact that modules take minutes or an hour to complete instead of months of gaming) you have to use grinds and randomized drops and rerunning content to keep people busy.  Or understand that your game will not be one that is played exclusively or as hours heavily as an MMO.  (I don't know anyone that plays PnP 40-60 hours per week, but there are certainly people playing DDO with that level of intensity).

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 1:06pm:
Some issues with going from PnP to an MMO:

A big part of the appeal in D&D is the ability for someone to be the Dungeon Master and the fact that the modules are very loosely organized stories.   I've played the exact same module in PnP with different DM's and it felt like totally different experiences.   The rigidness of the dungeons on replay is definitely not the same.

D&D is generally designed around campaigns of the same set of characters adventuring together for an extended period.  Sure gaming groups have players who miss weeks or come and go a bit, but for the most part, you are running a campaign with the same 4-8 people.   Which is more analogous to a static group in an MMO.   Maybe a small guild that only runs inside the guild.   The PUG concept and ability for ANYONE to group with ANYONE independent of story is necessary for an MMO, but a major deviation from how the PnP game is done.  This includes the re-running of content and low drop rates to create gear grinds.   (I mean, I guess there is no problem with re-running content in theory, but you should not get XP or Loot from it after the first run.  Also, most PnP campaigns, loot is shared based on need of the party.  Which only works in a static group environment.  A PUG is not going to share loot like that)

The whole concept of grinds to extend content comes from the flaw that the only content available is developer created.  Traditional PnP campaigns relied heavily on DM created content that incorporated some amount of pre-made content.   In any campaign I played in, the DM created content was 70% or more of the campaign.     Absent that, (and the fact that modules take minutes or an hour to complete instead of months of gaming) you have to use grinds and randomized drops and rerunning content to keep people busy.  Or understand that your game will not be one that is played exclusively or as hours heavily as an MMO.  (I don't know anyone that plays PnP 40-60 hours per week, but there are certainly people playing DDO with that level of intensity).

Yeah, nearly impossible to create a true PnP D&D game. Especially one thats online. The only option is using the D&D brand as a theme/skin to attract players. Or to use as inspiration when designing the game. There can be some debate on how tight/loose a game should follow the branding but I think I would prefer loose. No point in restricting your game by being "realistic" to the brand. Obviously dont make your players gods at level 1 but at the same time dont let auto-attack be the vast majority of combat (in ddo's case).
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2019 at 1:57pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
DDO going into SSG hands was saved from big player's decision [earn $1M/yearly or die]

Plus - since DDO & LOTRO are the only titles that SSG are surfing on - they will live till last subscription money is enough to cover last server bill.

You will literally see Asheron's Call-like decay but over 20+ year lifespan.

It's "safe" from closure for like 7+ more years. Plus extra few years maintenance mode at the end of life.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:38pm by Oracler »  

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:36pm:
DDO going into SSG hands was saved from big player's decision [earn $1M/yearly or die]

Plus - since DDO & LOTRO are the only titles that SSG are surfing on - they will live till last subscription money is enough to cover last server bill.

It's "safe" from closure for like 7+ more years.

Yeah, but with Sev at the helm and devs like Steel in charge of game mechanics, the actual game will be dead in 1+ years.  They can change the name to DDU, Dungeon and Dragons Undead.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Oh and D&D franchise with 5e (Adventurer's League etc) is now sky-high popular, so that adds extra credits here.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #15 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Actually Sev, Steel and now Lynn were the first devs to start fixing old bugs.

I think they do positive (just above the average) job to bring new / bring back players to balanced MMO with new content every few months.

But yeah, they screw up some good mechanics / builds / loot / synergies we used to and brings zillion bugs every update.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 3:51pm
Print Post  

Was also saved from a big player accidentally throwing talent at them.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 2:47pm:
Actually Sev, Steel and now Lynn were the first devs to start fixing old bugs.

I think they do positive (just above the average) job to bring new / bring back players to balanced MMO with new content every few months.

But yeah, they screw up some good mechanics / builds / loot / synergies we used to and brings zillion bugs every update.

For all the shit we give them, they did a good job this year too. Some poor choices in nerfs aside. We got KT, Threads system, a whole bunch of class revamps, and a few quests. Not too shabby at all for a down year after an expansion

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 4:09pm:
For all the shit we give them, they did a good job this year too. Some poor choices in nerfs aside. We got KT, Threads system, a whole bunch of class revamps, and a few quests. Not too shabby at all for a down year after an expansion

True, but I think Lynn is mostly responsible for the loot updates and raid flagging changes, which would be great to remove flagging from all of them, while she's at it, eliminate  pack progression requirements and red boxing entirely.  AND get rid of the requirement is quests that make the entire party group up at the end of each phase, those would all be massive improvements.  As to Sev, I cannot unsee that video of him outside that Denny's, there is no going back after that and Steel is more bad than good, he must be the main mechanics dev and he is the definition of mediocre.  SSG overall gets a solid B so far, although they are headed quickly to a B- C+ IMO

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #19 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
What saved DDO is a population that consists mainly of middle aged males with no girlfriends/wives (nothing to spend cash on), that work in IT (or some sort of technology) with a decent steady paycheck, played DnD (or still play) and do not have any problem with dropping hundreds per year on their favorite game.  F2P just gave them an avenue to spend more, not attract them outright. That base was already here happily spending less on a monthly sub.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #20 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 2:53pm
Print Post  

It's "safe" from closure for like 7+ more years. Plus extra few years maintenance mode at the end of life.

Doesnt SSG have to deal with licensing issues with LOTR and D&D? Do they have to pay a portion of revenue or do they just buy the license outright? Also the Seasons Pass and the "Improved" Epic Ottos Box makes me a little skeptical. Something sketchy seems to be going on.

While I agree with you and wouldnt be surprised if DDO is around for another 5 years. I highly doubt 7-10 years. Each year DDO slowly bleeds out vets/whales while getting essentially 0 new players. Sinking Ship Games is a more appropriate name imo.

Kluege wrote on Jan 4th, 2019 at 2:27pm:
What saved DDO is a population that consists mainly of middle aged males with no girlfriends/wives (nothing to spend cash on), that work in IT (or some sort of technology) with a decent steady paycheck, played DnD (or still play) and do not have any problem with dropping hundreds per year on their favorite game.  F2P just gave them an avenue to spend more, not attract them outright. That base was already here happily spending less on a monthly sub.

Agreed.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Sinking Stone Games

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
People have been screaming that the sky is falling since before you started playing.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 12:45pm:
People have been screaming that the sky is falling since before you started playing.

It actually was until the f2p transition saved the game.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint