Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharn Observations (Read 5562 times)
Humble Pie
Korthos Resident

Never settle.

Sharn Observations
Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Here are a few of my observations about Sharn, as with the pre-release.

Here is the splash screen advertising Sharn:

What were the thinking?  This surely does not make me want to purchase this expansion.  It's about Sharn, and the new race Teifling.  The only view of a Teifling is the back of their head.  Are they implying that they are too ugly to look at?

Next, what is that Harry Potter with a glandular disorder thing?  Or perhaps it is suppose to be something that swallowed Harry Potter.  I hope none of my toons ever look like that.

The next thing that caught my eye is that disheveled Alice looking character?  One that labeled all of her cheesecakes EAT ME.  I mean, c'mon!

The rest of the picture is pretty boring. A werewolf, a warforged, and some peeping-Tom looking kid.  Really?
Is this the best that their art department could come up with?  Not really something to convince me to spend my hard earned money to get an early shot at playing Sharn.

Ok, let's talk about a few of the early release items.  The Bloodhound.  About twice as large as it should be.  And that harness on the back -- what is it, a seeing eye dog?  Very non-immersive, about as welcomed as finding a McDonalds next to the Harbor banker.  Then again, the Alice  looking character would probably like that.

Next is the Shield Guardian.  WTF?  It looks something like a cross between a 50's Sci-Fi movie prop and a reject from one of the Guardians of the Galaxy films. 

Need I mention Teiflings?  I saw the videos of the Lam preview.  Some of the models were rather nice looking.  And the options included small and large horns, or even no horns.  Tails were well designed, but again in the Lam preview they could also be tailless.  The Live happens, and we get Teiflings that look like someone took a crap on their heads and shaped it into a horn.  And the tails -- they have this rather curious semi-clipping thing going on with capes, that is vaguely unsettling.  Or somewhat erotic.  I haven't figured out yet. 

And finally, there is that damn Mechanical Peacock (er, Warforged Peacock.)  It is the most incredibly interesting thing that has come out of the DDO Art Department in years.  It is truly awesome.  If you can make something this beautiful, what are you laying all this other crap on us for?

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Re: Sharn Observations
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Humble Pie wrote on Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:14pm:
Here are a few of my observations about Sharn, as with the pre-release.

Here is the splash screen advertising Sharn:

https://i.imgur.com/WVLMxEm.jpg

What were the thinking?  This surely does not make me want to purchase this expansion.  It's about Sharn, and the new race Teifling.  The only view of a Teifling is the back of their head.  Are they implying that they are too ugly to look at?

Next, what is that Harry Potter with a glandular disorder thing?  Or perhaps it is suppose to be something that swallowed Harry Potter.  I hope none of my toons ever look like that.

The next thing that caught my eye is that disheveled Alice looking character?  One that labeled all of her cheesecakes EAT ME.  I mean, c'mon!

The rest of the picture is pretty boring. A werewolf, a warforged, and some peeping-Tom looking kid.  Really?
Is this the best that their art department could come up with?  Not really something to convince me to spend my hard earned money   
I’m poor.  to get an early shot at playing Sharn.

Ok, let's talk about a few of the early release items.  The Bloodhound.  About twice as large as it should be.  And that harness on the back -- what is it, a seeing eye dog?  Very non-immersive, about as welcomed as finding a McDonalds next to the Harbor banker.  Then again, the Alice  looking character would probably like that.

Next is the Shield Guardian.  WTF?  It looks something like a cross between a 50's Sci-Fi movie prop and a reject from one of the Guardians of the Galaxy films. 

Need I mention Teiflings?  I saw the videos of the Lam preview.  Some of the models were rather nice looking.  And the options included small and large horns, or even no horns.  Tails were well designed, but again in the Lam preview they could also be tailless.  The Live happens, and we get Teiflings that look like someone took a crap on their heads and shaped it into a horn.  And the tails -- they have this rather curious semi-clipping thing going on with capes, that is vaguely unsettling.  Or somewhat erotic.  I haven't figured out yet. 

And finally, there is that damn Mechanical Peacock (er, Warforged Peacock.)  It is the most incredibly interesting thing that has come out of the DDO Art Department in years.  It is truly awesome.  If you can make something this beautiful, what are you laying all this other crap on us for?

Kinda what I read. Sorry bro.

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:53pm by Head-Meat »  

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 12:27am
Print Post  
I mean the art is clearly supposed to match the TSR era D&D book art, particularly the late 80s/early 90s books.

If you paid attention to anything ingame you'd also realize that these are characters we've met before. Celimas, Talbron, and Jeets.

I'm curious how they are going to tie into Sharn as frankly their storyline is a bit convoluted given the way they seem to jump about all over Eberron and not in any particular story order that would follow the level path of player characters.

IP Logged

knockcocker
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Mar 31st, 2019 at 12:27am:
I mean the art is clearly supposed to match the TSR era D&D book art, particularly the late 80s/early 90s books.

If you paid attention to anything ingame you'd also realize that these are characters we've met before. Celimas, Talbron, and Jeets.

I'm curious how they are going to tie into Sharn as frankly their storyline is a bit convoluted given the way they seem to jump about all over Eberron and not in any particular story order that would follow the level path of player characters.

Yeah, it's not exactly Larry Elmore though is it?  Celimas looks like she's
been exposed to the Martian atmosphere for too long and the Tiefling
character is obviously trying to keep Jeets away from its kids.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 6:46am
Print Post  
I was impressed they were able to come up with a new splash screen. They have all been so "busy" fucking everything else up.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Humble Pie wrote on Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:14pm:
Is this the best that their art department could come up with?

TBF: it's miles above the literal screen shots of in-game play they've used for some of the relatively recent packs.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 9:45am
Print Post  

Easy to miss that in the six second trailer.  Communication is what the listener does.

Also, Jeets looks constipated.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Celimas looks like she's got Down Syndrome.

Jeets indeed looks like he's constipated.

Awful splash screen.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Mar 31st, 2019 at 12:38pm:
Celimas looks like she's got Down Syndrome.

Jeets indeed looks like he's constipated.

Awful splash screen.

Talbron is the reason I was able to even connect who the other two are the first time I saw it.

Celimas has the same armor as her model; but by god that face... Lol.

Jeets is bad sure, but not as bad as Celimas.

I'd be embarrassed to present that art for a product; especially when a decade old game model looks better.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2019 at 2:37pm by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Halfling constipation is no joke. The turds are the same size, but the piping is smaller. That's just science.

Celimas has had a rough go with love in Eberron. So, she did what any cleric does who is middle-aged and aware of their biological clock: she had work done. Unfortunately, Fleshmaker Aesthetic Institute has notoriously crappy quality control. So, you cover it with makeup and a depressed look.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Also, I'm just going to say it. Are we sure that it's backed up dooty in Jeet's colon? Any chance these mobs just interrupted something else a little bit magical?

I've heard more than once that Jeets got drunk in House P once and got a tat on his lower back that says something like, "Warforged Only".
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:29pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2019 at 3:24am by crunch »  

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 6:42pm
Print Post  

Reminds me more of the old fantasy warhammer art.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
The OP doesn't recognize the primary adventuring party in DDO and calls a Gnoll a "werewolf".   /Fail.   

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2019 at 3:41pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I would think that the tiefling would be more front and center as well as an inquisitive with dual xbows.   I'd have made those requirements for the art department, but then, I don't know the sharn story line.  Maybe it fits.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Celimas looks like any normal person would when their 4 year-old sticks their hand in something they shouldn't, which is clearly what that ginger kid has done with a rune arm.

The situation is even more tense than that, though, since she's not sure. That gnoll might be his father.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Clearly Celimas TRed into a half-elf and had a half-half-elf-halfling baby with Jeets.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 12:41am
Print Post  
You obviously never seen TSR art. The styles come from the artist interpretations, while they always capture horrible "action shots" (do people really fight that way and live to tell about it?) and poses. There was some great artists with TSR, but there was also the crapshoot of those who didn't know what they fuck they were drawing and had to make it "theirs".

At least they don't have the ridiculous "green goblin/Silver Surfer" in the background. Or stupid dual xbows.

Only showing the back of the tiefling left the mystery to be discovered (if they properly released the artwork months ahead).  In Planescape, they were humans with some lower plane traits here and there (they aren't even half-fiends but it is in the lineage). Since 4th edition, it is front and center about having all the options.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #18 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Apr 2nd, 2019 at 12:41am:
do people really fight that way and live to tell about it?

Koblads are known for their breeding, not their fighting.

You should see the other guy.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Humble Pie
Korthos Resident

Never settle.

It Sucks Getting Old
Reply #19 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #20 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Cellimess and Jeez!
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2019 at 5:10pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Cellimas looks like she had a hard night with some orcs.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #22 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Skrulls. Secret Invasion has jumped the shark.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 3:49am
Print Post  
To be honest that screen doesnt really show anything that is going to get people excited for sharn.

Theres a back view of a Tiefling...okay, except that Tieflings are technically not part of Sharn as you can get them with VIP.

How are players supposed to get excited over NPCs fighting some generic mooks? At least have them fight someone important, like, a BBEG in the sharn plot.

Some floating towers in the background...okay, cool, but it doesn't really show us anything unique or exciting about Sharn specifically...given that there are floating stuff in stormreach as it is.

Doesn't look like there's any attempt to show case the dual crossbow thing either, which I think is currently only accessible to certain tiers of the Sharn expansion.

Also those goggles really don't suit Jeets.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Clerics get old. Rogues just get more distinguished.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint