Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wondering about Boss-beaters (Read 1311 times)
ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Wondering about Boss-beaters
Apr 18th, 2019 at 11:09am
Print Post  
OK, so for trash mobs my end-game is still Pain & Suffering set. With my feats and the trees I focused on, I'm doing quite nicely.

Problem is, I need a boss alternative I can switch to. Is the end game Flow+Timeshard or what? Mind you I'm limited to piercing weapons, as that's the feat I took and can't afford any others
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2019 at 11:10am by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: Wondering about Boss-beaters
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Pain+Suffering is a fantastic setup for bosses: 7[W], Fetters of Unreality, Constricting Nightmares and Suffering is Metalline.  All you need is someone debuffing the boss with Dust.

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
If you solo yes but in a group you want real dps weapons like soulrazor/vulkoors edge and let someone else do the debuffing you only need 1 guy to carry fetters/dust
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2019 at 1:07pm by yardarm_ »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
The problem is not the weapon sets.  This is the problem - http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1555475678/0#0

If you are heavily invested in the VKF tree with intelligent choices in supporting feats, none of the other piercing weapons in the game will be better than Pain + Suffering.  If you built for daggers + VKF and Pain+Suffering isn't the best DPS weapon set for you on trash and bosses, you've built poorly.  Conversely, if you're using daggers and didn't go deep into VKF, daggers in general and even Pain+Suffering is a bad choice.

Outside of rogue-based builds that can double-dip on dagger specific bonuses from both the assassin and VKF trees, daggers are shit compared to the other weapon options. 

It's possible that there are a few very specific non-rogue based builds that can make daggers work well, but those will be rare.  Maybe Barbarian VKF or a Kensai VKF? But even then, you'd likely get more DPS of the same concept but built for non-daggers instead.

The steadily increasing amount of W available on good melee DPS builds with non-dagger weapon types is increasingly putting daggers at a disadvantage.  W is a multiplier.  Multipliers benefit weapons with higher base damage die more than ones with low base die. 

This is why the OG Duality handwraps were so stupidly overpowered when Ravenloft first came out.  Monks could already innately increase the base damage die of wraps enough to keep them competitive with other types of weapons.  Then Duality came out and allowed monks to end up with something like a 24W or 27W multiplier on a D10(?) base damage die.

Think about a W(1d10) vs a W(1d4) weapon.  With a 5 W value, the avg hits would approximately 27 vs 12, for a difference of 15 on average.  With the right bonuses, slightly better crit profiles, etc., it's not too hard for a 1d4 weapon to make up a 15 point difference.

Up the W value to 10 and it becomes 55 vs 25, for a difference of 30 on the base damage.  Suddenly, you need twice as much from the right bonuses, crit profiles, etc. to stay on par.

Up the W value to 20 and you get 110 vs 50, for a 55 point difference.  Now you need even better bonuses on daggers to remain competitive. 

The bonuses from VKF will only get you so far, even when stacked with the assassin tree.  On anything outside of an assassin and a few specific, odd builds, weapons other than daggers would be better and easier to build for.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2019 at 9:13pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
yardarm_ wrote on Apr 18th, 2019 at 1:07pm:
If you solo yes but in a group you want real dps weapons like soulrazor/vulkoors edge and let someone else do the debuffing you only need 1 guy to carry fetters/dust

ahhhww the retard is talking again  Kiss
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2019 at 2:35pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Apr 18th, 2019 at 2:35pm:
yardarm_ wrote on Apr 18th, 2019 at 1:07pm:

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Apr 18th, 2019 at 2:35pm:

think with your head and not with your pussy if you want to be smart honey

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint