Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Viable Tempest splits other than full 20 Ranger? (Read 4710 times)
ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Viable Tempest splits other than full 20 Ranger?
Apr 26th, 2019 at 3:30am
Print Post  
I was thinking of doing some Tempest lives, but the main problem with leveling a Tempest is that you don't get dance of death till level 12.

An iconic solves this problem by letting you start at level 15, but I don't have Aasimar Scourge yet and I have no idea when it will go on sale.

I could use PDK or Shadar Kai, and I think Shadar Kai would probably be better. Fighter levels don't seem to work well with Tempest given that you are forced to do t5 Tempest for dance of death, which doesn't leave you much AP for the Kensei tree. You don't need the extra fighter feats either. Rogue would let you trap, which means faster leveling.

You also need to get 100% off hand proc chance, and there are very few ways to get 100% off hand proc chance without at least 18 levels of ranger. Off the top of my head, you need to either spend 2 AP in Vistani or 4 AP in Shintao (including the core) to get the last 10%.

That means that you need to either take at least 18 levels of ranger, do vistani or fit some monk levels in there.

Option 1 : 18 ranger/1 rogue/1 something else (probably barb for 10% run speed)

Pretty much like a normal tempest, except losing the 20th capstone for some run speed and the ability to do traps. Probably a huge loss of DPS due to missing the 25% off hand doublestrike.

Option 2 : Vistani, probably 13 ranger/6 monk/1 rogue, dex based

This option is very AP starved as you need 44 AP in Tempest and at least 29 AP in Vistani for the good stuff, or at least 31 AP for Vistani Fortune (10 PRR/MRR and a random buff that you have to spend every 60s).

Vistani gets you +5 to hit and +8 to damage with daggers, but they are daggers, which dont have a good base damage dice or crit profile. You get 30% main hand double strike and 10% off hand double strike (assuming you spam rapid attack all the time).

On the plus side you do get +6 AC and +6 dodge from the monk levels, 10% run speed and grand master of wind gets you 12% main hand doublestrike and +15% attack speed.

This option also seems like a DPS loss compared to full ranger as you are missing 20% off hand doublestrike and can't use scimitars which have a much better crit profile.

Option 3 : Probably still 13 ranger/6 monk/1 rogue, wis based

6 levels of monk seems to be the sweet spot here, as you get the most benefits from it combined with ranger.

Going WIS based lets you use longswords while being centered, which have a much nice base damage dice and crit profile compared to daggers, but you lose all the double strike, damage and other goodies in the Vistani tree.

WIS based also forces you to put at least 26 points in Falconry for Deadly Instinct + No Mercy. On the plus side, you do get much higher AC because you are monk + wis based. But the lack of double strike still seems like a DPS loss.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2019 at 3:31am by ManyCookies »  

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Re: Viable Tempest splits other than full 20 Ranger?
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 8:35am
Print Post  
nop

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Or just bite the bullet and buy Scourge now.  FFS, it's been out for nearly 20 months already. You could be waiting another 20 months before it goes on sale.   It's got excellent racial enhancements and desirable past lives.

IP Logged

Tempesthawk
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:20am
Print Post  
What are you gaining that competes with:
+4 DEX,
+25% Off-hand Doublestrike
+10 Melee Power
+10 PRR
+10 MRR.

If you want AOE before 12 take PA, Cleave, Great Cleave and either live with them afterwards or feat swap them at 12.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Buying scourge is going to be easiest. Tempest does not lend itself to splits. Alternatively you could use +1 hearts, but each of those costs about as much as Scourge.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Hmm...im guessing iconics pretty much never go on sale then?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Havent seen it happen yet. The DDO team is stupid lazy with the sales though, barely ever put adventure packs on sale, and when they do races/classes its like the same ones on a rotation. I don't pay that close attention but Bladeforged hit the scene in 2013 and I've never seen them go on sale.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Hmm...that sucks, guess I will have to pay full price for it then. Im guessing Dex based scimitars are the meta now? Heard str based khopesh was an alternative.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:29pm:
Hmm...that sucks, guess I will have to pay full price for it then. Im guessing Dex based scimitars are the meta now? Heard str based khopesh was an alternative.

Depends on what you're trying to do and what character power you have. Dex based is better for low lives due to better dodge on Elaborate Parry and easier time getting Reflex saves to no fail in most content. Str based gets to do huge deeps with SoulWhelm combo, provided that the target is debuffed with LGS effects and has ton of HP for that to matter ( raids or high skulls ). And Soulrazor gets tremendous on trash with its own stacks, which also can be used in boss fights with spawns.

Scourge with full racial AP and using dual Beacons is a high dps set up as well, as long as the same requirements of debuffs on high hp target are met, but they are worse on trash than Soulrazor. Still the dps outpaces any other set up on long fights due to the extra offhand doublestrike chance and critical multiplier from Scourge tree.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:40pm:
Depends on what you're trying to do and what character power you have. Dex based is better for low lives due to better dodge on Elaborate Parry and easier time getting Reflex saves to no fail in most content. Str based gets to do huge deeps with SoulWhelm combo, provided that the target is debuffed with LGS effects and has ton of HP for that to matter ( raids or high skulls ). And Soulrazor gets tremendous on trash with its own stacks, which also can be used in boss fights with spawns.

Scourge with full racial AP and using dual Beacons is a high dps set up as well, as long as the same requirements of debuffs on high hp target are met, but they are worse on trash than Soulrazor. Still the dps outpaces any other set up on long fights due to the extra offhand doublestrike chance and critical multiplier from Scourge tree.

seriously ? I'd say it's more like this soulrazors>vulkoors and beacons are still trash weapons because blunt dmg sucks ass (always has) and it has no VORPAL which is a huge deal  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:40pm:

So no reason for a tempest to go Vistani either? Hmm...so is vistani ever a good choice for anything other than an assassin rogue? Even if doing swashbuckler, hand axe or PDK shortsword seems a better choice...

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 7:47am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 27th, 2019 at 4:24am:
So no reason for a tempest to go Vistani either? Hmm...so is vistani ever a good choice for anything other than an assassin rogue? Even if doing swashbuckler, hand axe or PDK shortsword seems a better choice...

Nothing is going to beat rogue because assassin gets a special crit range modifier for daggers in their tree.

Swash is great choice for VKF. And on a solo boss dps race, it most likely beats any other set up, since Pain has the loaded dice + Vacuum. Druids in heroic too. Check out Ulysses' post here on his heroic druid template.   

VKF is one of the more powerful heroic and epic leveling trees, however. Largely due to 30 doublestrike and 10 offhand doublestrike. I used that over other weapons and enhancement trees for heroics and up to around late epics.

No math behind it, but I dont really thing anything matches it until end game gear bonuses start giving out loaded dice on on raid weapons and insane doublestrike values from Silent/Packbanner/Molten.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 10:22am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:29pm:

You can also go Wis based. With Knight's Training to give you lots of options for what to swing .

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 27th, 2019 at 4:24am:

You don't give a fuck about vistani simply because the capstone is insanely powerful and daggers are trash

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Go Vistani and splash 6 lock for temp hp.
It's the best.

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Apr 27th, 2019 at 1:12pm:
Go Vistani and splash 6 lock for temp hp.
It's the best.

not max dps

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 3:00am
Print Post  
yardarm_ wrote on Apr 27th, 2019 at 1:05pm:
You don't give a fuck about vistani simply because the capstone is insanely powerful and daggers are trash

I was talking about other classes, not just ranger.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 3:07am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 27th, 2019 at 10:22am:
You can also go Wis based. With Knight's Training to give you lots of options for what to swing .

Would you have enough AP for Tempest + DWS (to get the +1 threat range) + Falconry though? Seems like a pretty hefty investment.

Going wis or str based does get you a slightly better crit profile and the option to use warhammers, which is nice for stuff like skeletons and skulls.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 27th, 2019 at 7:47am:
Nothing is going to beat rogue because assassin gets a special crit range modifier for daggers in their tree.

Swash is great choice for VKF. And on a solo boss dps race, it most likely beats any other set up, since Pain has the loaded dice + Vacuum. Druids in heroic too. Check out Ulysses' post here on his heroic druid template.   

VKF is one of the more powerful heroic and epic leveling trees, however. Largely due to 30 doublestrike and 10 offhand doublestrike. I used that over other weapons and enhancement trees for heroics and up to around late epics.

No math behind it, but I dont really thing anything matches it until end game gear bonuses start giving out loaded dice on on raid weapons and insane doublestrike values from Silent/Packbanner/Molten.

Thought the highest swash DPS was with barb + handaxe to get a really good crit profile? I took a look at swash vistani before, but unless you are using something like Pain, it just doesn't seem very good. Cant use the PDK cha to hit/damage with daggers and you don't get cha to hit AND damage in the swash tree so your CC is going to suck.

Wonder if full ranger tempest would be better off using vistani to level instead of doing DWS...

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 5:00am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 3:13am:
Thought the highest swash DPS was with barb + handaxe to get a really good crit profile?

If the target isn't debuffed then Pain and Flow come in at faster times on barb swash variants. If the target is debuffed then something else should be more dps than those weapons.

Decently lengthy post comparing barbswash variants using flow VS barbswash variants using Pain.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1529456087/77#77

The fastest time I have found for solo racing is Kenseiswash tier 5 Kensei or tier 5 VKF both performed well. Post here comparing different kenseiswash set ups.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1529456087/93#93

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 7:35am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 3:07am:
Would you have enough AP for Tempest + DWS (to get the +1 threat range) + Falconry though? Seems like a pretty hefty investment.

Going wis or str based does get you a slightly better crit profile and the option to use warhammers, which is nice for stuff like skeletons and skulls.

Str based for max dps due to knights feat will be the best choice and wisdom is still nice for LOH + Frogs

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 10:36am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 3:07am:
Would you have enough AP for Tempest + DWS (to get the +1 threat range) + Falconry though?

You can get Wis to hit and dmg and still get +1 crit range from DWS, but if you want Deadly Instinct and/or No Mercy then you have to give it up.

I would go for DI:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1545074815/17#17

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 10:36am:
You can get Wis to hit and dmg and still get +1 crit range from DWS, but if you want Deadly Instinct and/or No Mercy then you have to give it up.

I would go for DI:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1545074815/17#17

Why DI?

With a x4 crit multiplier, isnt an additional 5% crit chance effectively 15% more damage on average? That should be much more than what DI gets you.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #23 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 26th, 2019 at 5:52pm:
Hmm...im guessing iconics pretty much never go on sale then?

They do, I picked up Deep Gnome for 323 DP a few months back. But I can't remember (and can't be bothered to look up) when Deep Gnome was released relative to Scourge, you may have a bit of a wait yet.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 5:00am:
If the target isn't debuffed then Pain and Flow come in at faster times on barb swash variants. If the target is debuffed then something else should be more dps than those weapons.

Decently lengthy post comparing barbswash variants using flow VS barbswash variants using Pain.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1529456087/77#77

The fastest time I have found for solo racing is Kenseiswash tier 5 Kensei or tier 5 VKF both performed well. Post here comparing different kenseiswash set ups.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1529456087/93#93

OK, for leveling you mentioned that VKF is probably the most powerful option.

So for example, full 20 ranger, is VKF still the best option? You do get 30% doublestrike and 10% off hand doublestrike, along with some flat damage. How does that compare to the DWS tree for leveling, and something like dual scimitars which will be 14-20/x3?

The extra crit range seems like it would do much more damage in general.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint