Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Alchemist (Read 11327 times)
Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Re: Alchemist
Reply #50 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 10:28am:
Artificer reskin. Done.

Given the fact it's light and outfit, with artifact sneak die.

I'm guessing more of a rogue-arti hybrid. Possibly something like arcane trickster but worse?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #51 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:21am
Print Post  
It might have some assassin and/or eldritch knight flavoring, but really I'm just expecting an OP arti. Probably throwing instead of xbow. Maybe even a stance/form that turns your weapon into a infinite LMB magic grenade thingy. A la warlock or druid.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #52 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:21am:
It might have some assassin and/or eldritch knight flavoring, but really I'm just expecting an OP arti. Probably throwing instead of xbow. Maybe even a stance/form that turns your weapon into a infinite LMB magic grenade thingy. A la warlock or druid.

The doublestrike is the only part that makes me think you're wrong there. Unless it'll have another half-assed melee tree like Enlightened Spirit.

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #53 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Hmmm was this class an excuse to revamp or reuse the animations they have for those crappy alchemical rogue flask bombs and all the Sunflasks that Mabar/Winterfest generate? I mean Rogue Mechanic did all this already and none of that worked well before the Rogue pass and especially not after it so I am not seeing anything good from this other than Steelstar wants a stupider Arty class to fuck with.... or is it just me?

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #54 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Synchrono wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:46am:
Hmmm was this class an excuse to revamp or reuse the animations they have for those crappy alchemical rogue flask bombs and all the Sunflasks that Mabar/Winterfest generate? I mean Rogue Mechanic did all this already and none of that worked well before the Rogue pass and especially not after it so I am not seeing anything good from this other than Steelstar wants a stupider Arty class to fuck with.... or is it just me?

I've heard it's due to the new Eberron book including Alchemist as a part of Artificer.

Guess they are trying to market it as a separate class to just milk money out of folks?

Based on the announcement;
  • Bombardier - Some mishmash between artificer admixtures and flasks from Mechanic with a splash of the flashstones and other completely forgotten craftable bombs from the trapmaking station.
  • Poisoner - "You poison your weapons." Combine this with a previous dev statement about having a method for Poison Spellpower soon and I'm guessing this will act similar to AA/EK. You probably have a stance that adds a poison effect. Toss in the Assassin's poison attack abilities and boom.
  • 3rd Line Healer/Buffer - Based on the description I'm going with Renegade Mastermaker 2.0 minus the melee attack portion.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #55 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 3:28am:
I've heard it's due to the new Eberron book including Alchemist as a part of Artificer.

Based on the announcement;
  • Bombardier - Some mishmash between artificer admixtures and flasks from Mechanic with a splash of the flashstones and other completely forgotten craftable bombs from the trapmaking station.
  • Poisoner - "You poison your weapons." Combine this with a previous dev statement about having a method for Poison Spellpower soon and I'm guessing this will act similar to AA/EK. You probably have a stance that adds a poison effect. Toss in the Assassin's poison attack abilities and boom.
  • 3rd Line Healer/Buffer - Based on the description I'm going with Renegade Mastermaker 2.0 minus the melee attack portion.

Awful. Just...awful.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Summary from a GenCon interview with Lynn+Sev:

Over 90 new spells unique to Alchemists that will will use the standard fire/water/air/earth elements like other casters. These fall into three categories that work on some kind of a combo/mixture/reaction system, that had to be color-coded for the player council because of the complexity. The trees are also color-coded and work off of two 'colors' of spells (red spells and yellow spells go well with orange enhancement tree, for example). This looks to be a very different and complex system of spellcasting that's unique to the class, making each enhancement tree radically different from each other.

ETA: They've also changed potion throwing: Alchemists can throw them in a straight line, break them on the ground, or roll them on the ground.

Apparently, there is also a new potion passing mechanic. Alchemist can make very short lived but powerful buffs they can pass to other players.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2019 at 11:33am by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #57 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 11:25am:

I'm doubting it's that complex; most of the PC was a bunch of brain dead folk when I was on it.

Real question is how that's going to work out mechanically. Do you mix on the fly? If so how's lag going to play into things. Can you premake your stuff or do you need to make it on the fly in the quest?

IP Logged

Puppies
Waterworks Kobold

"Sua Sponte" "De Oppresso
Liber"

Reply #58 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Sounds they're ripping 60%+ of its play abilities from Asheron's Call 2

Wonder how many animations they are pulling out of those old DATs and shoving into DDO. Last time I did a comparison (like many years ago) lots of shit was in there - hell half of the textures and sound effects from the Vale SRE area are right out of Osteth

"The Quieter you Become - the More you are able to Hear"

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
More GenCon interview spoilers: Alchemists are going to have a lot of ways to boost simple weapons to pretty high effectiveness, plus they are also going to be able use thrown simple weapons very very well. So, poison darts and throwing daggers are the weapon of choice, especially if they spec into their ranged damage dealing.  Also will have poison bypass like sorcs get.

IP Logged

Puppies
Waterworks Kobold

"Sua Sponte" "De Oppresso
Liber"

Reply #60 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 6:04pm:
also going to be able use thrown simple weapons very very well. So, poison darts and throwing daggers are the weapon of choice, especially if they spec into their ranged damage dealing.  Also will have poison bypass like sorcs get.

Wonder how viable splashing some bard for Swashy skills for thrown weps would be.

"The Quieter you Become - the More you are able to Hear"

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #61 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 6:04pm:
More GenCon interview spoilers: Alchemists are going to have a lot of ways to boost simple weapons to pretty high effectiveness, plus they are also going to be able use thrown simple weapons very very well. So, poison darts and throwing daggers are the weapon of choice, especially if they spec into their ranged damage dealing.  Also will have poison bypass like sorcs get.

So what you're saying is... "This works really good with Vistani and Inquisitor. Both of which cost extra money like this new class. Please spend more money."

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:19pm:
So what you're saying is... "This works really good with Vistani and Inquisitor. Both of which cost extra money like this new class. Please spend more money."

I will be fine with it if it breaks the monopoly on throwers and allows a VKF throwing dagger build to be good. Not holding my breath, just wishful thinking. Maybe it will be be a splash on shuri throwers, at least.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 3:24pm:
But you forgot to mention condoms....

Isn't that what oven mitts are for?

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #64 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:25pm:
I will be fine with it if it breaks the monopoly on throwers and allows a VKF throwing dagger build to be good. Not holding my breath, just wishful thinking. Maybe it will be be a splash on shuri throwers, at least.

Don't crucify me for asking this: But you can't make a decent one right now with swash-vistani?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:50am:
Don't crucify me for asking this: But you can't make a decent one right now with swash-vistani?

It's just when compared to other ranged builds, Daggers do not offer enough. Inquisitive, or GXbow Fusilade builds, and Shuri throwers all have way more dps. Probably double the dps and not even stretching it here. Whether a dagger thrower is in new Shiradi, Fury or LD, the other 3 listed builds all leave the dagger throwers in the dust.

Fusilade and NHB builds can put out crazy dps in any ED, throwers are also dwarfing dagger builds in any ED.

What dagger builds need is some kind of throw and reload speed increases in either lower cores of alchemist. Or in tier 4 or 3 of alchemist. So as to combo with VKF and have enough dps to be included in the discussion. Maybe some type of Shuri Expertise ability. Daggers have double the dice of a star, but stars throw up to 3 base stars each attack, with each having doubleshot chances.

So at least 1 ability that mimics shuri expertise or advanced ninja training, coupled with heavier base dice and comparable crit profiles would make dagger throwers viable, imo. Now we know this can be done as this is what inquisitive does for their "offhand" shot, they simply copy the first and check for doubleshot.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #66 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:50am:

No.

Right now, it's Inquisitive/Shuri > Gxbow mech > > > > throwers. 

And this isn't really because Inquisitives or Shuris are overpowered these days.  There are multiple top-tier melee options that outclass Inquisitives and shuris in both DPS and defenses.  It's because SSG has yet to figure out how to fix non-shuri throwers via itemization or trees. 

Throwing weapons are in dire need of some trees that actually add enough power and rate-of-fire increases to them to make them viable.  There are so many opportunities and ways SSG could do it, but those blind squirrels haven't managed to find any of the nuts yet even though the floor is littered with them.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #67 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 10:07am:
What dagger builds need is some kind of throw and reload speed increases in either lower cores of alchemist. Or in tier 4 or 3 of alchemist. So as to combo with VKF and have enough dps to be included in the discussion. Maybe some type of Shuri Expertise ability. Daggers have double the dice of a star, but stars throw up to 3 base stars each attack, with each having doubleshot chances.

So at least 1 ability that mimics shuri expertise or advanced ninja training, coupled with heavier base dice and comparable crit profiles would make dagger throwers viable, imo. Now we know this can be done as this is what inquisitive does for their "offhand" shot, they simply copy the first and check for doubleshot.

Too many words.

The problem with non-shuri throwers is 3-fold:
1) Low rate of fire
2) Low base damage
3) Poor synergy with the standard action boosts

The fixes are easy:
1) Double the rate of fire - Inquisitive style dual-wielding or a Shuriken Expertise style feat
2) Enhancement tree increases to +dmg and +W
3) Non-shuri version of Endless Fusilade/No Holds Barred/10k Stars action boost for thrown weapons.

Done.

Granted, at that point, you might as well just roll a shuri or inquisitive since they'd all play the same anyway.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #68 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
So really we need a throwing weapon feat that effectively is the non-shuriken equivalent of Shuriken Expertise that covers the other throwers for the double-throw chance to help even the playing field first.

Then there needs to be actual bonuses/changes to trees that "support" throwing weapons to make it truly competitive?

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #69 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 11:25am:

that had to be color-coded for the player council because of the complexity.

Not surprising as I don't think there has ever been a PC member who can tell their asshole from their elbow.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #70 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Close to 100 new spells for alchemist and 42 to prepare.

Screenshots from main discord 2019/08/08

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #71 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 6:21am:
Close to 100 new spells for alchemist and 42 to prepare.

https://i.postimg.cc/pLMVRYhZ/alchemist.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/k4LG8rGr/alchemist-2.jpg

Screenshots from main discord 2019/08/08

Assuming you have to mix and match spells (IE: cast two before the 3rd works) then 42 prepared doesn't sound too awful I guess.

I'd imagine it'll be like every other caster. Shit ton of slots and you only end up using 1-2 spells per spell level on average.

IP Logged

LimeGlue
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 4:28am
Print Post  
If anyone is interested in some semi-speculative-datamined information:

Fine Dust - Grease
Organic Mesh - Web
Flesh to Gold - Flesh to Stone
Veil (Not sure if Veil or Vial) of Despair - Despair
Dust of Confusion - Mass Confusion
Glue Solution - Mimic slobber slow effect (I really like that one)
Feather's Extract - Feather Fall
Sleep Powder - Sleep
Liquid Courage - Heroism self cast
Greater Liquid Courage - Greater Heroism self cast
Rapid Condensation - Solid Fog
Heartbleed Poison Imbue - Deadly Weapons
Restorative Vial - Restoration self cast
Greater Restorative Vial - Greater Restoration self cast

Transumte Metal - ? Probably weapon material bypass multiselector
Curative Admixture: Heal - Throw heal spell at target
Smoke Bomb - Invisibility + triggers Choking Smog
Choking Smog - AoE blind + silence while remaining inside
Greater Venom Vial - AoE splash damage (1d6)
Greater Personal Venom Reaction - 3d6 poison on hit
Multivial of (Flame, Acid, Frost, Sparks) - Throw 5 Vials of that Element
Vial of (Fire, Acid, Frost, Sparks) - Throw a Element bottle 1d6
Heartstopper Poision - AoE damage
Molotov Cocktail - Firewall but circular
Caustic Solvent - Long stacking acid DoT
Imbue Greater (Caustic, Exothermic, Voltaic, ?) Reaction - 2d6 fire/acid/lightning/cold on hit
Elemental Reaction - Hellball
Alchemical Waste - Hellball with less damage + debuff
Corrosive Dust - Instakill Construct

? Corrode Weapons - ST acid hit with accuracy & MP / RP debuff
? Caustic Overload - PBAoE AC + PRR debuff, acid damage stacking up to 10 times
? Fountain of Youth - Buffs and HoT
? Flash Freeze - PBAoE stun
? Melt Armor - ST fire hit AC and PRR reduction.
? Evolution and Greater Evolution - ?
? Vein Freeze - AoE cold damage, chance to freeze and slow effect
? Voltaic Burst - Cone of lightning damage + silence
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2019 at 5:15am by LimeGlue »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #73 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Renamed spells and some monster abilities as spells. More what I would have expected for an attempt at Psion.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 11:00am
Print Post  
The debuffs are cool as long as they stack with other existing debuffs. The construct instakill will be useful.

Wallpaper effects:
Sleep - has never been relevant in the game
Mass Confusion - Bugs with Warlock version that still aren't fixed; it's detrimental to use
Hellball - Was last relevant 4? years ago, only because of bugs where it applied twice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint